or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' to enter mass production next week, 5.5-inch model in August

Rumor: Apple's 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' to enter mass production next week, 5.5-inch model in August

post #1 of 40
A report coming out of Asia on Friday claims Apple partner supplier Foxconn is prepping for mass production of a rumored 4.7-inch next-generation iPhone this month, while a larger 5.5-inch model is slated for manufacturing in mid-August.

Without citing sources, Taiwan's Economic Daily News reports production of Apple's anticipated 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" will begin in the third week of July, while a rumored 5.5-inch model is to hit the assembly line in the second week of August.

The publication noted a separate Chinese news service report that said the head of China's Henan Provincial Commerce Department made comments that Hon Hai, better known as Foxconn, is looking to hire some 100,000 workers to cope with expectedly high demand for the upcoming handsets. That figure echoes a previous rumor from June, but today's report adds partner supplier Pegatron is also preparing to hire some 10,000 employees for its part of Apple's order.

Along with the influx of new workers, Foxconn is expected to install automated robots called "Foxbots" on the iPhone 6 assembly line to perform non-critical tasks like locking screws and polishing parts.

Apple is expected to launch both handsets by the end of 2014, though release of the larger 5.5-inch "phablet" version may be delayed due to production difficulties. With Foxconn reportedly starting production nearly one month after the 4.7-inch iPhone, Apple is either looking at a staggered release, or does not expect equal demand the two variations.

Recent rumors have already guessed at a launch date on either Sept. 25 or Sept. 19, though it is unclear if the larger model will be ready in time for simultaneous release.

In a note to investors on Sunday, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in-cell touch panel technology and color unevenness on the redesigned metal casings posed problems for both models, though issues are more pronounced with the 5.5-inch phablet. In his most conservative forecast, Kuo believes Apple could push back launch of the larger version until 2015.
post #2 of 40

Ah, August. Now the analysts have an entire two weeks to make up “believable” stories on why the 5.5 isn’t existing at all.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #3 of 40
I Don't either. But that's what ANALyst do!
post #4 of 40
I guess Kuo was spewing massive BS
post #5 of 40
They lost me at "100,000" workers. These rumors aren't even fun to read anymore, now they're just silly.
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

I Don't either. But that's what ANALyst do!

ANALyst? I like that. Never heard that one before.

post #7 of 40

How hard would it be to drive by the FoxConn main gate and see they are hiring 5,000 new employees?  Pretty easy.

post #8 of 40
How I want 5.5 model this year, just worried I should wait for the S model with all the kinks worked out. It will canibilize some iPad mini sales but with the higher margins I do not think Apple is going to worry about that too much.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, August. Now the analysts have an entire two weeks to make up “believable” stories on why the 5.5 isn’t existing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Aw, come on- these "well informed" analysts have a 100% success rate. Claim everything, blame delays as you notice there aren't leaks, and then you'll eventually be right- or you can just keep saying it's delayed. The moral is- you won't ever be wrong.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

How I want 5.5 model this year, just worried I should wait for the S model with all the kinks worked out. It will canibilize some iPad mini sales but with the higher margins I do not think Apple is going to worry about that too much.
Curious what kinks you're speaking of? The 4 had the antenna and the 5S had a software issues (not hardware) with Touch ID. So really, since antenna gate- has there been anything? Particularly on the 5?

post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Curious what kinks you're speaking of? The 4 had the antenna and the 5S had a software issues (not hardware) with Touch ID. So really, since antenna gate- has there been anything? Particularly on the 5?

Not the 5, but the iPhone 4S used a new baseband that caused the battery to drain very fast on some units (or perhaps just on some network types) until they updated the firmware. That, plus the initial issues with Siri, which were probably the result of too many people testing it opening weekend, caused me to return my iPhone 4S and get back on my iPhone 4. Since the firmware update took so long I ended up not repurchasing the 4S, which was my plan. I purchased the iPhone 5 the weekend it arrived.

Waiting for the S version will do nothing since the only that is the "same" is the casing and that's really only the outside as even the internal mount points for the casing seem to change radically. Since the seem to like to add the new, nice features to the S version one could argue that the S version is the one to stay away from.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/17/14 at 10:09pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

He still has until August to issue an emergency correction. :lol:

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 40
Thank you 'report out of Asia' for this non-info. What I want to know is when the 4" iPhone will be released. I mean, they are going to release a new model with all the latest tech in an iPhone with a 4" screen, right? I really can't believe they will only release a 4.7 & 5.5 inch screen iPhone.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Thank you 'report out of Asia' for this non-info. What I want to know is when the 4" iPhone will be released. I mean, they are going to release a new model with all the latest tech in an iPhone with a 4" screen, right? I really can't believe they will only release a 4.7 & 5.5 inch screen iPhone.

We haven't seen any 4" parts leaks yet.

post #15 of 40
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... 100,000 workers to cope with expectedly high demand for the upcoming handsets. That figure echoes a previous rumor from June, but today's report adds partner supplier Pegatron is also preparing to hire some 10,000 employees for its part of Apple's order.

Along with the influx of new workers, Foxconn is expected to install automated robots called "Foxbots" on the iPhone 6 assembly line to perform non-critical tasks like locking screws and polishing parts. ...

This all reminds me of Fritz Lang's landmark film "Metropolis" (1927).

Oh, and yes, there's a female "fox" bot in the movie.  Here she is:

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

We haven't seen any parts leaked for an updated iPhone with a 4" display but that may because it's not really interesting news because the parts look too much like the current 4" parts and/or it could be that the people that find this stuff aren't noticing any new 4" components.

if there really are 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones I have a feeling the 4" will live on A.though I'm not sure if it will get updated components or just be the iPhone 5S, perhaps even in an iPhone 5C casing.

Personally, the only way I want the 4" to go away is if this larger iPhone is to have about the same total volume (or less) than the current iPhone 4. IOW, I want a larger display I just don't want the bulk that has typically accompanied it. If the new panels with the thinner bezels, smaller chin and forehead, and rumours of a thinner design are accurate I may find a 4.7" model a good fit.

post #17 of 40
Quote:

Where do I begin. The Phone is getting thinner and thinner and more complex. There have been many items posted on tech sites regarding possible delays do suppliers inability to put the parts out. The battery supposedly so difficult they are using a new vendor. The chip is a!so using a new vendor and a new shrunken process. The screen is also using a new material in sapphire while the LCD display is also using a new thinner process.

I'm not saying there will be problems, but the possibility is always greater on the brand new version with all the new technologies that go inside it.
Frankly I will be surprised if there is no glitch of any kind this time out. Ths is going to be one heck of a device.
post #18 of 40
Quote:

Where do I begin. The Phone is getting thinner and thinner and more complex. There have been many items posted on tech sites regarding possible delays do suppliers inability to put the parts out. The battery supposedly so difficult they are using a new vendor. The chip is a!so using a new vendor and a new shrunken process. The screen is also using a new material in sapphire while the LCD display is also using a new thinner process.

I'm not saying there will be problems, but the possibility is always greater on the brand new version with all the new technologies that go inside it.
Frankly I will be surprised if there is no glitch of any kind this time out. Ths is going to be one heck of a device.

Sure, if you want to wait then hold off for a few weeks for the reviews to come in (specifically AnandTech's), but waiting until the S version won't put you in a better position as that will be also be a new iPhone.

post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure, if you want to wait then hold off for a few weeks for the reviews to come in (specifically AnandTech's), but waiting until the S version won't put you in a better position as that will be also be a new iPhone.

Of course an S puts you in a better position as it is mostly an upgrade. And as far as reviews, that's not what I'm taking about. Glitches are things often missed by reviewers in the rush to get the first reviews out. They are often things not seen until the product is out in the wild in real use by real cash paying customers.
post #20 of 40
Quote:

Of course an S puts you in a better position as it is mostly an upgrade. And as far as reviews, that's not what I'm taking about. Glitches are things often missed by reviewers in the rush to get the first reviews out.

Don't think because the exterior casing looks the same it's the same internals. It's not like a MBP where the CPU gets a bump. As I previously noted the components mostly changed, the logic board is a complete new design and even the mount points on the inside of the casing are moved.

With the iPhone 5S we also new HW features that hadn't existed in any other iPhone. It also has higher battery capacity which you only get from a denser battery chemistry or by making more room inside, each of which are clearly HW changes, not just "upgrades" to existing components.

We've even seen a new Touch ID Home Button component crop up this week. Are you really saying, despite all the evidence, that Apple wouldn't use a new Home Button part in an S version of an iPhone?
Quote:
They are often things not seen until the product is out in the wild in real use by real cash paying customers.

Then buy the last generation model to make sure you avoid those changes pitfalls. You also get to save $100
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/17/14 at 11:29pm

post #21 of 40

Here you go: 5.5" version without a single part leak...so believable huh? 

post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Huh? There have been at least a display and casing "leak." There was also word of the battery capacity for the rumoured 5.5" model.

post #23 of 40
I friggen LOVE apple iphones, I lost mine 2 weeks ago and iam so lost wiyhout it, right now I am using a donated samsung gallezy and I HATE it
post #24 of 40
Quote:

And the "S" model won't have new parts nor another process shrink. In fact if the S model does go with a process shrink (14nm) then you should be highly concerned with that as it will be a major change in technology building that chip.
Quote:

Certainly possible but consider this, don't buy a new device the first day it comes out! Shocking I know but you don't have to buy on day one. You can wait a month or two for customer feedback.
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Huh? There have been at least a display and casing "leak." There was also word of the battery capacity for the rumoured 5.5" model.
When did we get a legit display leak that was 5.5"?
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

http://goo.gl/04pW3T

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2014/06/14/latest-iphone-6-pictures-reveal-4-7-inch-and-5-5-inch-models/
Sonny Dickson seems to be considered fairly reliable
Edited by Gatorguy - 7/18/14 at 4:18am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #27 of 40
Quote:

Of course an S puts you in a better position as it is mostly an upgrade. And as far as reviews, that's not what I'm taking about. Glitches are things often missed by reviewers in the rush to get the first reviews out. They are often things not seen until the product is out in the wild in real use by real cash paying customers.

How long have you followed apple? No one ever gets an iPhone before they are released to "review". Outside of a "hands on" review during the announcement- just wait 2 weeks after it's released.

Solip also clearly mentioned the 4S having an issue- but the 5- with a totally new design- had none. However the 5S had a Touch ID software issue. So your "S won't have problems" statement is incorrect based on the previous iterations. Bottom line- you won't have to wait a year for the S to know of there are bugs or not. 1smile.gif

Solip- if there was going to be a 4"- the casing would be worthy of a leak. That and the screens are usually the first leaks. I understand a 4" screen slipping through, but not the casing. 4" is a thing of the past, I'm afraid.

post #28 of 40
So not a single part has surfaced for 5.5" model, but production is starting in a few weeks?

I don't think we will be seeing a 5.5" iphone anytime soon.
post #29 of 40
Quote:

That could just means its not in production yet, while obviously the 4.7" is in production right now. This supports the delayed rumors. imo it will come and we should see parts by the end of august.

That being said, despite the needs I have for a new phone this year, the Apple TV update and the iWatch are devices I am lot more exited about.
Edited by herbapou - 7/18/14 at 6:12am
post #30 of 40
Quote:

Most of the leaks have been the 4.7" size. Also the most recent leaks (including that video) show the 4.7" display with narrower side bezels than what's posted in that Forbes link. I have a hard time believing a 5.5 model is going to have smaller bezels than the 4.7" one.

But, as I've said before IF Apple makes a 5.5" model a "premium" model compared to the 4.7" it will piss off a lot of people. They should follow the iPad where the only consideration is screen size and price. I wouldn't buy a phablet, but I would buy the 4.7" model so long as Apple didn't purposely make it a less premium product to try and upsell people to the phablet. If they do that I'll keep my 5S.
Edited by Rogifan - 7/18/14 at 7:03am
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

They lost me at "100,000" workers. These rumors aren't even fun to read anymore, now they're just silly.

It is already established that Foxconn has hundreds of thousands of workers in their factories. I'll grant that hiring 100k more does sound like a lot, but it is possible that some of the meaning was lost in translation. Perhaps they need 100k workers total for a particular site or production line.  It's also possible that when they say they want to "hire" workers, they would include re-assigned workers in the figure, and it's also possible that they've got 20k or more currently laid-off, and ready to return to duty, which they might also include.  But really, as you said, these are RUMORS, and all to be taken with a grain of NaCl.  

post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When were any of these leaks considered legit? Is Apple saying, "Yep, that's one of ours."

post #33 of 40
Quote:

How long have you followed apple? No one ever gets an iPhone before they are released to "review". Outside of a "hands on" review during the announcement- just wait 2 weeks after it's released.

Mossberg and Pogue usually get an advance unit to review 2 weeks ahead of launch but I don't think they would make any bug reports back to Apple.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Mossberg and Pogue usually get an advance unit to review 2 weeks ahead of launch but I don't think they would make any bug reports back to Apple.

so does Gruber. he's published his preview review thoughts (after public launch) -- so yes, apple definitely seeds pre-releases.
post #35 of 40
Too late, Goophone beat Apple to market!
post #36 of 40
Quote:

Solip also clearly mentioned the 4S having an issue- but the 5- with a totally new design- had none. However the 5S had a Touch ID software issue. So your "S won't have problems" statement is incorrect based on the previous iterations. Bottom line- you won't have to wait a year for the S to know of there are bugs or not. 1smile.gif

And those reviews come out before the phones are actually released. In the case of the 5s, the review embargo was lifted on Sept. 17 -- three days before the device went on sale. And in my case, reading the Anandtech review confirmed that I should go with the 5s over the 5c.

The choice of whether to buy or wait just comes down to timing, and whether there are any remaining issues to sort out. Last summer at this time I was deciding between buying an iPhone 5 or waiting until the new model(s) comes out. Obviously, waiting means that you will have the choice between an improved model or the older model for $100 less.

But, another issue that tilted me towards waiting was the LTE support for T-Mobile's network. The early production GSM iPhone 5 did not fully support the LTE bands on T-Mobile's network, and this was not immediately addressed even after T-Mobile began selling the iPhone 5. Later on, the iPhone 5 GSM models did add that LTE band, but I read about customers buying phones still in inventory that did not fully support T-Mobile's LTE bands.

Given that T-Mobile had not yet deployed LTE in my area at that time, I did not want to find out later on, after LTE service goes live, that I had purchased one of the earlier incompatible phones. Going with the 5s just ensured some added measure of futureproofing. (And in my area, it did turn out that T-Mobile's LTE service used the band not supported by the early production iPhone 5 models)

post #37 of 40
Quote:

Solip- if there was going to be a 4"- the casing would be worthy of a leak. That and the screens are usually the first leaks. I understand a 4" screen slipping through, but not the casing. 4" is a thing of the past, I'm afraid.

Not if the internals get updated but not the casing. That said, I think the cost of metal casing on the 5S means it will probably not stick around even though there is a question of the 5C not selling as well as Apple would like. The 5S is the number phone but the 5C is number 5, according to the latest numbers crunch I read. I think the "last year's components" iPhones were holding much higher in previous years.

post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Nor any 5.5" parts leaks.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 40
Quote:

You calling Ming-chi Kuo a liar? 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 40
My guess is that the iPhone 6 4.7" and 5.5" will be announced in the usual period of time and I think the 4.7" model will come out in September ten the 5.5" in Ocarina over along side the iPad's.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Apple's 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' to enter mass production next week, 5.5-inch model in August
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' to enter mass production next week, 5.5-inch model in August