or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google and Samsung escalate hostilities over watches, Tizen and Android's openness
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google and Samsung escalate hostilities over watches, Tizen and Android's openness - Page 2

post #41 of 139
Samsung has no choice but to develop tizen.

What else are they supposed to do? Sell exactly the same watch in terms of capabilities as its competitors?

That's what Google wants. They're saying, here, do exactly what everyone else is doing. May the cheapest version win.

Every company wants to be Apple and charge a premium for being unique valuable and different.
post #42 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You must have skipped right over post 7 preceding yours.

You must have skipped right over his next sentence where he actually mentions seeing post 7.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Reply
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Reply
post #43 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If Samsung thinks they have some street 'cred' on their own without Android they will be surprised to learn that people who buy Galaxy are primarily Android fans not Samsung fans.

I used to believe this but not anymore. Samsung has plenty of street cred. If they can keep Tizen functioning somewhat like Android then many people won't ever know the difference.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #44 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

What else are they supposed to do? Sell exactly the same watch in terms of capabilities as its competitors?

How is it any different from them selling smartphones in terms of capability as its competitors, and kicking their butts doing so?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #45 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Cue Spock vs. Kirk music.
(or if you prefer, Carrey vs. Broderick music)

Gotta go with Kirk, leg flip and all. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You have never posted in support of Scamsung in any situation where they were in an adversarial position to Apple? I must apologize then, I could have sworn you had on many occasions.

Gatorguy knows the repercussions of lying to Chuck Norris.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #47 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Who has more power? Googs or Sammy? I hope Sammy drops android and see both companies implode in mobile.

Sammy isn't gonna drop android. They've already did the math, and they'd lose. However, they can't stay with android due to the Chinese companies chewing away at their bottom end products and Apple owning the top end. So, Sammy is in a lose-lose situation.

Google, on the other hand, is in no better a situation. The people with the money to spend are more and more not buying android or using android to shop around. In other words Google's analytics are not as finely granular as they once were. Once the advertising clients see that and start demanding Google cut their advertising prices, life at Google will get worse (no more jet pack projects). Meanwhile the clock is running on Google's search patent (2 years and counting down), and iOS8 will put the bulk of iOS searchers behind a wall where their activity and interest will be mostly invisible to Google.

I see no good end game for these two crooked companies, and I find it fun to watch their tents burn.

Meanwhile the Microsoft sideshow provides its own spectacle of a clown fire department. Waaay too late and no clear plan on how to catch up, other then compete for the low end of the phone business in emerging markets.
"The phone will cost you one goat, and the service will require you bring me two chickens each month."

That's a far cry from business in the air conditioned halls of enterprise clients. How far the mighty have fallen!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #48 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If Samsung thinks they have some street 'cred' on their own without Android they will be surprised to learn that people who buy Galaxy are primarily Android fans not Samsung fans.

I used to believe this but not anymore. Samsung has plenty of street cred. If they can keep Tizen functioning somewhat like Android then many people won't ever know the difference.
...they will when they show up at the Google Play store and can't get their dose of malware. 1wink.gif
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #49 of 139

It isn't personal. It is business and is all about money. The money for Android is in the advertising, the app store, and the collection of tracking information to best target the advertising. Samsung is likely seeing that the margins in making a handset are diminishing and the Chinese are having Samsung for lunch in China. What can you do about it? Create your own ecosystem that can run Android apps natively. Ditch Google Maps, Gmail, etc. and offer your own services and as a bridge open it up to third party bidders with the highest bidder getting first crack at it while you develop your in-house solutions.

post #50 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MS does have a good mobile OS. Not great on ecosystem but that's more a result of not being popular which they can't seem to do this late in the game because they aren't popular.

I'll take your word for it then, after using every OS on a desk top they ever made I assumed it was as bad. I wondered if the out of favor thing was true, or not. MS not being popular is certainly pretty staggering to those of us who have been around before its shadow darkened the landscape.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #51 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Gatorguy knows the repercussions of lying to Chuck Norris.

LOL. I actually watched that show many moons ago!

You just have to go back and read his posts during the Apple v Scamsung trials to see his leanings. Then I guess anyone that runs his master's OS is OK till they bite his master's hand.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #52 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I used to believe this but not anymore. Samsung has plenty of street cred. If they can keep Tizen functioning somewhat like Android then many people won't ever know the difference.

I agree, most of the knuckleheads buying Galaxies have no idea what OS they run.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #53 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I used to believe this but not anymore. Samsung has plenty of street cred. If they can keep Tizen functioning somewhat like Android then many people won't ever know the difference.


Tizen has an emulation layer ala blackberry for Android Apps

 

It doesn't look too bad from recent showings.

HTML5 support is a plus

It's got the official backing and actual development hand of the Linux Foundation.

EFL display layer for UI work is back-ended by C as opposed to the JVM(ewww)

OS is OSS, SDK is closed source(somewhat annoying but not important).

 

Sounds good to me.

post #54 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Don't forget Hyundai and LG.

2) I bought a Hyundai. So far a good deal for the money.

Shame on you! 1wink.gif I'll stick with my Chrysler Jeep Grand Cherokee ... which was mostly owned by Mercedes when I bought it 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #55 of 139
Only Apple delivers UX; the others? SUX.
post #56 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'll take your word for it then, after using every OS on a desk top they ever made I assumed it was as bad. I wondered if the out of favor thing was true, or not. MS not being popular is certainly pretty staggering to those of us who have been around before its shadow darkened the landscape.

It is quite staggering how MS has been unable to parlay their popularity in desktop OS into mobile even after Apple showed them how to do it. Win 8 isn't bad, but it's not good either.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #57 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Samsung has no choice but to develop tizen.

What else are they supposed to do? Sell exactly the same watch in terms of capabilities as its competitors?

That's what Google wants. They're saying, here, do exactly what everyone else is doing. May the cheapest version win.

Every company wants to be Apple and charge a premium for being unique valuable and different.

Assuming Scammy shafts Google, and I hope they do, who is left of any importance selling Android crap? I don't follow Android / Google news at all, other than reading Gatorguy here on AI, so I really don't know. Doesn't Google make some hardware themselves? Microsoft's downfall may have begun when they went into hardware so I hope so. 1smile.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #58 of 139

Hilarious, open source is a snake that has turned to bite the hand that reared it('s ugly head lol)!

 

This is all moot regardless, Scamsung's effort will fall by the way-side whether Apple releases a watch or not. Should Apple not enter the market, there are far more brilliant minds capable of capitalising on the art than Shamsung will ever rally. (My prophesy at least. :lol:)

 

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #59 of 139
I'd bet Lenovo will soon be the building the best Android devices & is going to be Apples competition
post #60 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


 Doesn't Google make some hardware themselves?

Only Google Glass and Chromecast in recent times.

 

(The former by Foxconn, the latter by Google themselves)

 

Then there is the Nexus line depending on how you view it.

post #61 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Don't forget Hyundai and LG.

2) I bought a Hyundai. So far a good deal for the money.

Hyundai & Kia cost less but Honda and Toyota better value & can be resold for good % of cost at anytime of ownership
post #62 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Whitey View Post

Hyundai & Kia cost less but Honda and Toyota better value & can be resold for good % of cost at anytime of ownership

Meh. I cared more for the longer bumper-to-bumper warranty than anything else.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #63 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Meh. I cared more for the longer bumper-to-bumper warranty than anything else.

Warranties usually have small print ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #64 of 139

Historically, isn't creating a new OS (even for phones) an exceedingly difficult task and one frequently prone to failure?  Does Samsung have any experience creating OSes?  This seems like more of Samsung just competing for competition's sake.  No real strategy, no clear plan - let's just try this and see what sticks to the wall.

post #65 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post
 

Does Samsung have any experience creating OSes? 

Yes

 

Even if they didn't, they have someone who does.

post #66 of 139
For sure, Google can no longer claim with a straight face that Android is 'open'... That was Andy Rubin's vision, and Google went along to sign up new OEMs and grow adoption, but now that they have market share, Larry is clamping down...

What a mess Android has become...

And the inevitable Google pushback is starting to appear from many directions...
post #67 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Meh. I cared more for the longer bumper-to-bumper warranty than anything else.

What are these warranties you speak of? My dad always said- "a $500 repair beats a $500 car payment". Used only for me 1wink.gif

Of course, I have a Lincoln, so I'm not that smart (although I do love it). 1smoking.gif

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #68 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

For sure, Google can no longer claim with a straight face that Android is 'open'... That was Andy Rubin's vision, and Google went along to sign up new OEMs and grow adoption, but now that they have market share, Larry is clamping down...

What a mess Android has become...

And the inevitable Google pushback is starting to appear from many directions...

They can because "Android" is open source. It's a confusing mess, but that's probably by design so they can say "Android is open" whist strong-arming vendors as the term "Android" is used to multiple things.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #69 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

My dad always said- "a $500 repair beats a $500 car payment".

That's a good policy and how I typically spent my life. I love cars, I love luxury and I love new, but it's really hard for me to think that spending 6 figures on a car makes any sense for my needs because it's new, stylish, well built, and comes with many features. Last year I bought a new car for the peace of mind of a warranty to try that out. The only feature I cared about was handsfree calls. Outside of that I really didn't care. That said, I may sell it for a car that comes with CarPlay within the next year if a dealership demo preforms well. I also could use a vehicle with a permanent rack on top for my surf board. Getting annoyed with the ones I need to install that fit into the door jams.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #70 of 139
All this in-fighting can only be good for Apple though.. As they walk around pissing on each other Apple just glibly build's it's Unified OS strategy between Phone/Tablet/Laptop/Desktop and whistles to it's own tune..

It's A LOT easier for Apple to loosen the rains a bit to allow devs to do more than it is to tighten them; cutting off devs and OEMs...

You make people HAPPY and thank you when you loosen.. You piss them off and make them walk when you tighten.. I'm thinking Google is starting to realize they went @ss backwards.. lol
post #71 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Google is being a bully to Samsung? Try enforcer. Bullies pick on innocents. Samsung is guilty of being the worst company on earth. Have at 'em Google

Funny thing about Tizen: fandroids never, ever look at it and say: "Google needs competition." Their meme is: "Apple needs competition."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #72 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

Samsung... will be surprised to learn that people who buy Galaxy are primarily Android fans not Samsung fans.

 

I'd like to agree with the totality of your argument, but I am not so sure this is a correct assessment.  I think people who buy Galaxy are primarily platform oblivious, and merely buy what Walmart or Bestbuy or their current telco carrier is offering them for under a buck, so long as it lets them text and play a few free games. They won't buy apps, they won't buy expensive (quality-built) phones/tablets, and they just want a shiny-new device every 12 months to show off to their friends. Oh, and it should have a 64 gigapixels camera, because... pixels!

 

Edited in followup:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post (Responding to dasanman69)

I agree, most of the knuckleheads buying Galaxies have no idea what OS they run.

 

Yes. Exactly.


Edited by TeaEarleGreyHot - 7/19/14 at 9:58pm
post #73 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Every company wants to be Apple and charge a premium for being unique valuable and different.

 

You'd think so, but they continue to copy one-another ad nauseam.  

"Just like iPhone, but different!"  

"We lead by following!"

post #74 of 139
Samsung is losing smartphone market share to Xiaomi.

Xiaomi already makes android smartwatches too.

Xiaomi will keep android's market share sky high.

Google's strategy is paying off, IMO.
Edited by dapple - 7/22/14 at 6:53pm
post #75 of 139
The fundamental flaw in the Android pitch to mobile device manufacturers:

You don't have to pay us but your device has to be basically indistinguishable from your competitors' Android devices. Oh, and yes you don't pay us but you pay Microsoft.

Says Dell from the background: Take it! That common OS strategy did wonders for our margins.
Edited by tundraboy - 7/19/14 at 10:49pm
post #76 of 139
Samsung's smartphone revenue is in a free fall and switching to Tizen will only accelerate that process.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #77 of 139
Great fun to watch. They should stick to what they are good at and focus development in those areas. Samsung could be on a 'sticky wicket', to coin an English phrase, in the future in the IT market. In the end quality and consistency counts much more than advertising hype.
post #78 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkman@chartermi.net View Post

The tears are streaming from my eyes. To think that Google got stung by the biggest commie crooks in the world is just too much wrap my head around! Well, the tears have stopped, but I'm still laughing my a%u03DF%u03DF off!

 

That's a good one!  :lol:

 

I don't like Samsung because they are crooked to the core.

I don't like Google because they try to steal products and make a run for it and they always fail.  Google Wallet was a stolen product just like Android was a stolen product.  Wait until Oracle gets a hold of theses crooks.

post #79 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Samsung is the one being the bully. Samsung is attempting to use it's leverage as the dominant Android device manufacturer to do whatever it wants.

I think Google is the bully. Samsung is just not an easy victim.

 

It's funny to see that Samsung (appalling though its copying tactics are) is more or less in the same situation as Apple. They are a hardware vendor for which the software is a means to sell devices (actually, Apple is more an 'integrated experience' vendor). They are both up against pure software giants like Google and Amazon, both of the bullying kind (Amazon in the publishing world is even a worse bully than Google in any of their endeavors). What is it that makes 'software and services' giants so easily into bullies? Is it maybe necessary for their survival/success? Is it built into their business model?

 

I think Samsung would love to be in Apple's situation vis-a-vis software. Given their volume, if they are able to build their own ecosystem with their own OS that can be installed also on existing devices (back to S3-level stuff) they could in one fell swoop completely destroy Android. It's a tough one though, because they would also need to build a fair number of apps to start with. Suppose they:

- develop the OS, make sure it runs on a large volume of existing devices

- when it is done, announce it and promote heavily the development of apps for the first release, build an app store

- go live

Not realistic, of course, but hey fantasizing is fun. They would need a very strong leadership pushing the vision to pull this off. If they don't pull  this off, it seems Google in the end must win because they have Samsung by the balls as Samsung cannot sell a device without Google's OS.

 

Ah well, as someone else stated: time to get out the popcorn

post #80 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Nothing beats watching a p*ss*ng contest between skunks.

At a safe distance, that is.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google and Samsung escalate hostilities over watches, Tizen and Android's openness
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google and Samsung escalate hostilities over watches, Tizen and Android's openness