or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says

Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says

post #1 of 174
A rumor claiming former White House Secretary Jay Carney is in the running to head up public relations at Apple -- thought to have been put to bed last week -- was resurrected on Saturday, with a new report saying he is still considering the position.

Former White House press secretary Jay Carney. | Source: WhiteHouse.gov

In a report citing a friend of Carney's, Bloomberg claims the former press secretary has indeed talked with Apple over taking over former PR chief Katie Cotton's seat, but has not yet decided on the matter.

When the publication reached out for comment, Carney was cagey about his future job prospects and declined to clear up the Apple rumor.

"I'm talking to a lot of different people about a variety of potential opportunities," he said.

Last week, Re/Code reported that Carney was in talks to become Apple's next vice president of corporate communications, but the rumor was refuted the next day by well-connected journalist Jim Dalrymple, who said, "Nope. Tim Cook has never even met Jay Carney."

It was reported in June that Apple CEO Tim Cook was personally on the hunt for "high-profile external candidates" to replace Cotton after the PR vet retired from the company in May. Speculation at the time pegged longtime Apple spokespeople Steve Dowling or Natalie Kerris as top candidates to fill the still-vacant position.

Carney, Time Magazine's former Washington bureau chief, stepped down as President Barack Obama's press secretary in June after three years in office. Prior to his time with Obama, Carney served as head of communications for Vice President Joe Biden.
post #2 of 174
If Carney is appointed PR director for Apple - I will literally puke.
post #3 of 174
Former Time Magazine Washington Bureau Chief sounds like someone who could handle a press job. Less political than the Uber job I expect as that company has a lot of unions coming after it in every town it operates in.
post #4 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz101 View Post

If Tim Cook hires him then he loses me as a customer.

I'm curious though....has Jim Dalrymple ever said "nope" to something and been wrong?
post #5 of 174
Gross. I will sell my stock. If Tim Cook chooses Carney, then he is delusional.
post #6 of 174

Can he perform other government facing role in Apple ?

They can choose someone else for the PR Chief.

post #7 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If Tim Cook hires him then he loses me as a customer

I'm fairly sure the tens of millions of other Apple customers will be enough to console him over losing one.
post #8 of 174
Quote:

I'm curious though....has Jim Dalrymple ever said "nope" to something and been wrong?

Not that I can recall. When he says "nope" that's pretty much the end of the story.

post #9 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

Gross. I will sell my stock. If Tim Cook chooses Carney, then he is delusional.
Can you expound on that statement? Even if you are for a different political party than the one Carney was working for, how does that affect his role at Apple? It it is a liberal/conservative issue keep in mind that Apple is one of the most liberal large corporation there is.

I'm honestly curious about why there is the Carney hate. Thanks in advance.
post #10 of 174
Quote:

Looking forward to you informing us that you literally puked.
post #11 of 174
Quote:

Does this mean you will discontinue expressing your opinion on this Web site as well?

You will not be missed as a contributor nor as an Apple customer.

I doubt you will follow through though..
post #12 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I'm fairly sure the tens of millions of other Apple customers will be enough to console him over losing one.
I'm sure Cook couldn't care less but I doubt I'd be the only one. That Bloomberg article have over 200 comments most of them negative. I can't remember the last time a Bloomberg article on Apple generated over 200 comments.
post #13 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Does this mean you will discontinue expressing your opinion on this Web site as well?

You will not be missed as a contributor nor as an Apple customer.

I doubt you will follow through though..
Believe me I wouldn't miss some people here who can be real jackasses. But I thought you all had me on ignore anyway. 1wink.gif
post #14 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Not that I can recall. When he says "nope" that's pretty much the end of the story.
At this point I trust Dalrymple over an unnamed friend of Jay. Carney blabbing to Bloomberg.
post #15 of 174

He's in the running, he's not in the running, he's in the running.

Man, Apple needs some kind of PR person or something to get their story straight.

post #16 of 174
Samsung will be a better place for Mr. Carney.
With so many against Mr Carney & so many vowing to sell their stock and not buy Apple Products; a Samsung placement would be great for Apple.
post #17 of 174
So both Carney and Bloomberg are liars... sounds about right.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitstandninja View Post

I'm honestly curious about why there is the Carney hate..

I don't get that either. He is just a press secretary. He doesn't represent any policies. He sounds like a good replacement for Cotton. He keeps his cool and doesn't say anything he is not supposed to. Nobody can dodge a question better than Jay.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 174
Quote:

Believe me I wouldn't miss some people here who can be real jackasses. But I thought you all had me on ignore anyway. 1wink.gif

Oh man, I just wanted you to see how stupid your remark was. You are not going to leave Apple nor this Web site if the guy is hired. You did not leave with the Beats purchase, which you very vocal about, you will not leave with this hire.

Please prove me wrong if the guy is hired. Please.
post #20 of 174
Quote:

What's that old saying ... 'don't let the door ...' 1wink.gif

Seriously I am getting pretty tired of folks saying crap like this or 'If .... I'll leave the country ...'

The slightest hint of anything remotely related to politics in the US and out come the pre conditioned water cooler comments they are fed by their chosen media to spout.

If one guy's job hiring can make you start using another platform rather than Apple then I'd suggest therapy.

If you do I hope you change to one of that platform's blog too.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #21 of 174
Quote:

I'm sure Cook couldn't care less but I doubt I'd be the only one. That Bloomberg article have over 200 comments most of them negative. I can't remember the last time a Bloomberg article on Apple generated over 200 comments.

If you never seen a Bloomberg article on Apple generated over 200 comments then isn't it obvious that it's the Obama haters that are commenting.  They always seem to have the loudest voice.  Hating Apple has nothing to do with Jay Carney and his qualification as a PR.  So much noise for no good reason.  As if the average customer heard a lot from Katie Cotton.  

post #22 of 174

Being a Press Secretary in such contentious times is a tough gig, and Carney I suspect did no worst then others would have. He essentially is asked to provide to the press information that the White House wants him to provide even when he himself is without all the information. Nonetheless, I highly doubt Apple would select such a high profile controversial public official with baggage to fill such a public position for it. 

Moreover, what makes the story bogus to me is what would there for Carney to consider if he in fact was offered the job? From his perspective, there wouldn't be a better gig to cash in on his former successes. 

post #23 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't get that either. He is just a press secretary. He doesn't represent any policies. He sounds like a good replacement for Cotton. He keeps his cool and doesn't say anything he is not supposed to. Nobody can dodge a question better than Jay.

Agreed, he would be a good PR person for Apple. He certainly is qualified. Nonetheless, to appease the brainwashed politics is a sporting event crowd who far outnumbers the common sense crowd it probably is best Apple not put a controversial figure in such a position. 

post #24 of 174
Quote:

I wonder what forums you would post in? 

post #25 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

That's not the point. A PR chief is supposed to help Apple win over customers, not drive them away. If there is someone else out there that will do the job without all the political controversy, I bet Apple will go after that person instead.

Some nobody friend of Carney talking to the news as if all Carney has to do to get the job is ask for it sounds more like Carney trying to stir up interest or save face than reality to me.
post #26 of 174
No to Carney
post #27 of 174
Quote:

How do you figuratively puke?
post #28 of 174
Ah, the far right wing crawling out of the woodworks again.... Sigh....

You guys are relentless.
post #29 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, the far right wing crawling out of the woodworks again.... Sigh....

You guys are relentless.
Name calling, just what I would expect from liberals.
post #30 of 174
Quote:

Name calling, just what I would expect from liberals.

Ah, the irony..... lol.gif
post #31 of 174

What name calling?

censored

censored

post #32 of 174
Jay Carney is not a credible spokesperson for any organization, given the extensive "laundry list" of untruths he frequently told the American people. Almost daily, he took to the press podium and passed along information that was demonstrably untrue, and no reasonable person could believe Carney did not know he was lying. The man has no honor, so why would Apple want him as the public "face" of the Company?
post #33 of 174
Quote:

Calling Carney a liar and a political hack is just telling the truth. 1smoking.gif
post #34 of 174

Traits that are very suitable for a career in PR.

censored

censored

post #35 of 174
Quote:

I don't recall it.

"Yup" and "nope" is probably his code words for saying, "Apple has disclosed to me certain highly specific information which I am allowed to confirm (or deny)."

These pinpoint yup/nope answers are highly specific yet generally insignificant questions, none of which disclose much information in the big picture (stuff like media event dates). I believe he says "nope" more often, simply because refuting a possibility doesn't give the actual answer (which he likely is not privileged to).

Saying "nope" to the Jay Carney question doesn't reveal who will be the next head of Apple PR. I just confirms that there is one person on this planet who will not be taking that role. It says nothing since there are hundreds of other viable candidates.

The fact that Jim also added "Tim Cook has never met Jay Carney" is information that could only be provided by Apple since Jim doesn't keep Tim's appointment calendar. Clearly Jim was fed highly specific information by someone at Apple (basically with Tim's direct approval). Jim isn't stupid enough to make such declarations on his own.

My guess is that Jim takes a certain perverse delight in getting a lot of attention from saying so little. 

Edited by mpantone - 7/20/14 at 8:33am
post #36 of 174
Quote:

Quote:

Calling Carney a liar and a political hack is just telling the truth. 1smoking.gif

Oh boy... just as I suspected: you don't get it, do you? :err:

post #37 of 174
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
...a new report saying he is still considering the position.

Good for him. I’m considering the position of US president. That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the possibility of getting it, however.

post #38 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

I don't recall it.

"Yup" and "nope" is probably his code words for saying, "Apple has disclosed to me certain highly specific information which I am allowed to confirm (or deny)."

These pinpoint yup/nope answers are highly specific yet generally insignificant questions, none of which disclose much information in the big picture (stuff like media event dates). I believe he says "nope" more often, simply because refuting a possibility doesn't give the actual answer (which he likely is not privileged to).

Saying "nope" to the Jay Carney question doesn't reveal who will be the next head of Apple PR. I just confirms that there is one person on this planet who will not be taking that role. It says nothing since there are hundreds of other viable candidates.

The fact that Jim also added "Tim Cook has never met Jay Carney" is information that could only be provided by Apple since Jim doesn't keep Tim's appointment calendar. Clearly Jim was fed highly specific information by someone at Apple (basically with Tim's direct approval). Jim isn't stupid enough to make such declarations on his own.
Yeah, I figured a little birdie at Apple feeds Jim his yep's and nope's. Wasn't he the one to break the news on Aperture?
post #39 of 174
Quote:

Oh boy... just as I suspected: you don't get it, do you? 1bugeye.gif
I get that Apple hiring this hack would be a PR disaster.
post #40 of 174
Apple sees this as a smart move. By having a White House insider like Carney on staff, Apple would join the "friends of Barack" rank of corporations like General Electric that enjoy exclusions from Obama's punitive tax policies.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says