or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says

Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says - Page 4

post #121 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that you greatly underestimate liberals.

She's on Foxnews! 

Liberals would be outraged! Just mention the word "Foxnews" to any liberal and their face instantly frowns, and they begin to make strange contortions, before they have an uncontrollable hissy fit and self implode.

I know she's on Fox. I do read my own links. When I use wiki, I typically confirm at least some of its references. You might take note of the details on her Fox News bio page.

from the link

Quote:
Perino served for three years on the U.S. Broadcasting Board of Governors, an appointment by President Obama and confirmed by the United States Senate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalpix View Post

Oh, really?  Then I, an Apple stockholder, am no one - and neither are many other posters on this thread. Jay Carney has just got through representing a president who, according to a Quinnipiac poll of last week, is the least popular since World War II. Carney lied or was duplicitous on numerous occasions on such matters as the unconscionable medical treatment of veterans at the VA, the healthcare act (myriad lies about keeping your plan and your doctor),  the IRS, Benghazi, etc., etc.   These matters may be trivial to you but not a huge percentage of our country.  For a public corporation to have such a person as their public face is absurd.  If Apple goes through with it, I predict a giant stockholder rebellion and who knows what else?

I guess I'll have to wait and see on that one. That is a very bold prediction, and I'm not sure what to really say about it.

post #122 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Me either. That would be one scary chick. Can't imagine...
A chick with 'tude. 1smoking.gif
post #123 of 174
Quote:

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious, and needless to say, I totally disagree. It is exactly because of Obama that the world is a crappier place and wars are everywhere at the moment. To put it bluntly, Obama is a weak leader and nobody fears him, including our enemies. Terrorists and crappy countries are all taking advantage of Obama's weakness at the moment.

Obama's statements and ultimatums don't mean anything at all. Remember his "red line" on Syria? Hahahaha. 

Obama is too busy taking vacations, playing golf and fundraising to be truly concerned about anything that's taking place in the world or even the USA. Is the recent border invasion a coincidence? Hell no, it's Obama's doing, and it's his fault. His policies encouraged it. 

Two words: Mission Accomplished.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #124 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Because teabagger isn't name calling? 1rolleyes.gif

Sure is, but that happened two pages after you complained about name calling.

censored

censored

post #125 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

So you are female. Guess what? My responses still stand.

If this PR hire happens, I and others look forward to you posting your goodbye response as Rogifan and look forward to you continuing to spew nonsense under a different alias.

IF you do not intend leaving Apple if the PR hire does happen, admit it now instead of being labelled a liar later.

Clearly you like reading yourself in print, but given the comments in the thread it appears that a fairly significant group support her point of view and might just as much appreciate your departure from the forum as hers....just sayin'

I don't plan to stop buying iPhones if the hire does go through, but if they make multiple decisions in the near term that were similarly as horrendous I would consider lowering my stock holdings. Fortunately I have great confidence that Tim Cook, et al. are far too intelligent to hire Carney the carny.
post #126 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Clearly you like reading yourself in print, but given the comments in the thread it appears that a fairly significant group support her point of view and might just as much appreciate your departure from the forum as hers....just sayin'

I don't plan to stop buying iPhones if the hire does go through, but if they make multiple decisions in the near term that were similarly as horrendous I would consider lowering my stock holdings. Fortunately I have great confidence that Tim Cook, et al. are far too intelligent to hire Carney the carny.

On that note, your departure would also be appreciated. It boggles the mind that people are allowed to say they will leave Apple if Apple does whatever and are allowed to not do exactly what they say. When someone holds them accountable people like you defend them.

I own Apple stock as well and am not planning to stop being an Apple customer due to me not understanding exactly what Apple is doing. But people like Rogifan are stating they will leave Apple. I am asking them to adhere to what they are stating. Why is that considered wrong?

Has it become okay that people write lies instead of truths these days?

I am rooting for Tim Cook. Check out my posts to see where I stand on this point. I have not been duplicitous with my posts. Rogifan and others have been with their posts. Why are you defending her statement to leave Apple when you know it is a lie?
post #127 of 174
I can't think of a dumber move on Apples part than hiring this yutz.
post #128 of 174
Quote:

Because I won't give money to a company that would hire a liar and political hack like Carney. If Target hired him I'd stop shopping there. I'm not a fan of Amazon or Jeff Bezos (for various reasons) so I don't shop on Amazon.com, don't have a prime membership and don't use any of their apps.

You equate the CEO of Amazon to a face of PR? Anyway, thank you for that irrelevant story about Jeff Bezos and your non-answer to my question about why a PR appointment should have any implication on your decisions regarding technology purchases... It seems like your reasoning is purely emotional (likely partisan) and informed by your own opinions. Opinions whose basis you cannot even articulate without citing more (seemingly baseless) opinions. Interesting...

post #129 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wow, what a nasty, toxic post - par for the course for you. You're really attacking people on hypocrisy? Everyone knows you'd have no problem with this hire if this guy was a Bush PR flack. The ONLY reason you're riled up is that Carney worked for the Obama administration. Also, liberals are "girly men"? Are you fucking 8?

I would love for Apple to hire a PR person connected to Bush, only to see the laughable and hypocritical liberal reactions to it.

But I am smart enough to know that it would be a terrible idea and it would be an extremely stupid business decision for any company to hire somebody who is guaranteed to cause controversy. 

post #130 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

On that note, your departure would also be appreciated. It boggles the mind that people are allowed to say they will leave Apple if Apple does whatever and are allowed to not do exactly what they say. When someone holds them accountable people like you defend them.

I own Apple stock as well and am not planning to stop being an Apple customer due to me not understanding exactly what Apple is doing. But people like Rogifan are stating they will leave Apple. I am asking them to adhere to what they are stating. Why is that considered wrong?

Has it become okay that people write lies instead of truths these days?

I am rooting for Tim Cook. Check out my posts to see where I stand on this point. I have not been duplicitous with my posts. Rogifan and others have been with their posts. Why are you defending her statement to leave Apple when you know it is a lie?

What have I said to deserve a sending off? I didn't even say I wanted you gone, but simply used your own logic against you. Please tell me hyperbole is not to hard a concept for you. All these people are merely expressing a) their extreme distaste for Carney or b) their fervent belief that this won't happen, a belief so strong that they hyperbolically say they would leave if it happen.

To claim obvious hyperbole as lies would consign the president (and essentially every politician of any party) to constant accusations of lying. It's above most people. Why can't it be above you?
post #131 of 174
Quote:

But I am smart enough to know that it would be a terrible idea and it would be an extremely stupid business decision for any company to hire somebody who is guaranteed to cause controversy. 

I would suggest that 99% of the US population does not even know who Jay Carney is, because they are completely unaware of current events due to their preoccupation with Facebook and reality shows. If it is not on Opera or the evening TV news it is not controversial. Nobody except ditto heads give a damn and even they are only superficially disgusted because they were told to be not because they can think for themselves.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #132 of 174

AppleInsider has kicked over the anthill and now all the ants are running around all mad. They did it for the click traffic.

:)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #133 of 174

There is NO WAY Apple is this stupid.   Jay Carney is toxic and there are few if any folks in either political party that would appreciate what he has to say.   He spent years telling stories that EVERYONE knows were flat out lies.  Hope he got a great retirement from the government or that MSNBC still makes enough money to hire him.

post #134 of 174
Quote:

Yeah, I figured a little birdie at Apple feeds Jim his yep's and nope's. Wasn't he the one to break the news on Aperture?

I don't remember and I don't really care.

Aperture was already a moribund, long-neglected piece of code when Apple 86'ed it. If Dalrymple indeed was the one who outed this software's demise with a "yup/nope" comment, it further proves that Jim pretty much confirms trivial minutiae when he uses the one word response.

When he gives that response, Apple is telling the world, "this is not important information, so we're letting Jim give it to you because it is basically worthless and it's something that many of you sane people have already surmised."

Or Apple is possibly saying "this is such a dreadfully useless topic but thanks for the page views and newspaper column-inches." Jim's four-word denial generated 156 replies (and counting) at AppleInsider alone. That's brilliant.

Edited by mpantone - 7/20/14 at 5:55pm
post #135 of 174
Carney has been a buffoon as Obama's press secretary. That isn't a partisan observation. I make partisan observations of the president whereas with a press secretary I evaluate competence. Carney doesn't create Obama's positions or agenda, he is supposed to articulate and clarify them. That is what he did a lousy job of. Nothing partisan about that.
post #136 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

I don't remember and I don't really care.

Aperture was already a moribund, long-neglected piece of code when Apple 86'ed it. If Dalrymple indeed was the one who outed this software's demise with a "yup/nope" comment, it further proves that Jim pretty much confirms trivial minutiae when he uses the one word response.

When he gives that response, Apple is telling the world, "this is not important information, so we're letting Jim give it to you because it is basically worthless and it's something that many of you sane people have already surmised."

Jim gave much more than a "yep" for Aperture. Apple actually provided a statement to him. Do you consider Apple providing a statement on no future development of Aperture to be not important information? I seem to remember a lot or people upset about it.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/27/apple-stops-development-of-aperture/

Also, earlier this year he gave a "nope" to the rumors of an Apple TV event in the spring (a rumor that I believe came from Bloomberg). Is that also not important information or something that sane people would have already surmised?
post #137 of 174
Quote:

Jim gave much more than a "yep" for Aperture. Apple actually provided a statement to him. Do you consider Apple providing a statement on no future development of Aperture to be not important information? I seem to remember a lot or people upset about it.

Apple disclosed the Aperture demise to multiple tech blogs; a quick Internet search confirmed this. Dalrymple did not have an exclusive. 

Sure, Apple provided Jim with a statement, but they also provided a statement to many of his tech media competitors as well.

That's why Jim had much more to say about it as did the other tech media folks who received the same notification.

Heck, if Dalrymple had an exclusive, I probably would have remembered it.

Remember that Jim also writes about things that are commonplace knowledge to the tech media; he doesn't just post exclusives.

Edited by mpantone - 7/20/14 at 6:33pm
post #138 of 174

So Obama's played golf while President? Who really gives a shit? I'd argue the world's and Apple itself's got far more important things going on than which President made par or which guy is hired as Apple's PR person.

post #139 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
Chuckle and guffaw. They’re cops...

Well the chuckles and guffaw would be on you for now. Better luck next election.

post #140 of 174
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Well the chuckles and guffaw would be on you for now. Better luck next election.

How about you not put words in my mouth and just don’t contradict yourself instead?

post #141 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Truth is stranger than fiction (& zealotry), oh the irony.

I was actually just trying to point out that it makes little sense to restrict someone's career prospects based on perceived political affiliation when there isn't a direct conflict of interest. If the chairman of the FCC leaves to work for one of the cable companies, you should be really skeptical due to the potential conflict of interest between roles. That kind of issue doesn't really exist here. A few people just dislike almost anyone they can directly associate with Obama's administration, yet at the same time I doubt the response would have been better if these governmental positions were left unfilled. In the case of my example, I don't recall any real outrage at the time, nor do I see a reason for it.

post #142 of 174
x
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I was actually just trying to point out that it makes little sense to restrict someone's career prospects based on perceived political affiliation when there isn't a direct conflict of interest. If the chairman of the FCC leaves to work for one of the cable companies, you should be really skeptical due to the potential conflict of interest between roles. That kind of issue doesn't really exist here. A few people just dislike almost anyone they can directly associate with Obama's administration, yet at the same time I doubt the response would have been better if these governmental positions were left unfilled. In the case of my example, I don't recall any real outrage at the time, nor do I see a reason for it.

Jay Carey naturally sneers, regardless of political association, that makes for a lousy prospect in consumer PR where its all about smiles.

The political thing, especially his very high profile in certain ludicrous 'narratives', totally torpedoes his chances of every working for a credible technology company.  Which just leaves Google.  Who knows maybe he could help advertise some of their other products aside from YouTube, which according to Jay Carey, will get you shot dead and dragged through the streets of Egypt.  He could also help advertise how useful Google search is, when you are looking to blame YouTube for murders.  Can the iPhone do that?  :smokey: 

post #143 of 174
He is not likable. A large majority of customers aka citizens in the US do not like him. Shouldn't a press secretary be likable?
post #144 of 174

Wow.  What a thread.  

Should be moved to Political Outsider.

Edited by Bergermeister - 7/21/14 at 5:48am

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #145 of 174

Not if it disqualifies members with less than 100 comments from participating in dialogues.

post #146 of 174

I think it would be the perfect place for it. 

post #147 of 174
Quote:

If Tim Cook hires him then he loses me as a customer.

Good. 

post #148 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Conservatives don't believe in that if it contradicts their religious views.

Not entirely. They want you to be silent if you you decide to question the word of God or talk about civil liberties. 1biggrin.gif

post #149 of 174

Carney is as believable as Baghdad Bob. It beats me why Apple would even consider a person who lies and obfuscates the way Carney in his Whitehouse gig. 

post #150 of 174
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
Wow.  What a thread.  

Should be moved to Political Outsider.

I used to do that with all threads like this. Now they don’t care.

Originally Posted by JesseJ View Post
Not if it disqualifies members with less than 100 comments from participating in dialogues.

YES. PARTICULARLY IF IT DOES THIS. We don’t need more rampant political trolling nonsense here. This is a perfect reason to move it there.

post #151 of 174
Quote:

I'm sure Cook couldn't care less but I doubt I'd be the only one. That Bloomberg article have over 200 comments most of them negative. I can't remember the last time a Bloomberg article on Apple generated over 200 comments.

Negative comments on any forum mean absolutely nothing.   The web has become a place of mindless idiots who preach hatred for various things, some trivial ("George Lucas ruined my childhood") and some important (Mideast issues) without really understanding the issues.

One can have any opinion they want and do with their money what they want, but I think it's completely absurd that because one has decided they hate liberals in general or Obama specifically (for either valid or invalid reasons), that if his former press secretary joins Apple, they would abandon the company.   Does everyone who is an executive at Apple have to meet your political litmus test?   Is there no room for someone who has different opinions than you do?

Have fun buying Dell.  

post #152 of 174
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Does everyone who is an executive at Apple have to meet your political litmus test?

They have to pass an executive litmus test, at least. He wouldn’t be an executive.

I rather think much of the problem with him is his congenital lying. 

post #153 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

That's Obama's fault also, along with bad weather, being the anti-christ, Hitler, terrorist fist bumps & trying to indoctrinate our children into his cult ./s

... and not even an America ... /s
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #154 of 174

Jay Carney obviously elicits an abundance of negative feelings. That, and the permanent scowl embedded in his cheeks from endlessly being grilled by the media, should put the kibosh on this stupid idea. 

post #155 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Jay Carney obviously elicits an abundance of negative feelings. That, and the permanent scowl embedded in his cheeks from endlessly being grilled by the media, should put the kibosh on this stupid idea. 
Jay Yarrow at Business Insider claims today that he spoke to one of Carney's friends and they say Carney wouldn't take this job because he doesn't want to leave Washington DC.
post #156 of 174

Are you trying to imply anything I posted above is "nonsense trolling"? I joined A.I. in 2003, when I bought the first flat screen iMac. I would be using my original account but I wasn't using the internet much for a couple years, years ago, and forgot what account name and email address I used to use. I might have 100+ comments with that account, I honestly don't remember. Perhaps I should try to figure it out, I know for certain it has more comments than this account does and if I used that to comment again it would put me past the >100 threshold faster. I think if a person just joined and is trolling political thread, sure. Otherwise it's pathetic to limit members' opinions in politcal threads, the way Mac Rumors does. Yay for censoring possibly dissenting voices!

post #157 of 174
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I propose a single 6 year term. You get in you work your ass off and then you leave.

Single term = zero accountability. Not that there’s any now, but at least there’s an expectation of it now.

Are you trying to imply anything I posted above is "nonsense trolling"?

I said nothing of the sort, but methinks he doth protest too much.

Otherwise it's pathetic to limit members' opinions in politcal threads, the way Mac Rumors does. Yay for censoring possibly dissenting voices! 

No one’s opinion is being limited in political threads. Political threads are being limited to the political subforum.

post #158 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Single term = zero accountability. Not that there’s any now, but at least there’s an expectation of it now.

That would mean there is no accountability in the 2nd term, and since the first term is meant to not rock the boat and has excessive time wasted on campaigning it's simply a bad design in this modern world of near instant communication.

post #159 of 174
Quote:

Are you trying to imply anything I posted above is "nonsense trolling"? I joined A.I. in 2003, when I bought the first flat screen iMac. I would be using my original account but I wasn't using the internet much for a couple years, years ago, and forgot what account name and email address I used to use. I might have 100+ comments with that account, I honestly don't remember. Perhaps I should try to figure it out, I know for certain it has more comments than this account does and if I used that to comment again it would put me past the >100 threshold faster. I think if a person just joined and is trolling political thread, sure. Otherwise it's pathetic to limit members' opinions in politcal threads, the way Mac Rumors does. Yay for censoring possibly dissenting voices!

To whom are you replying? The quote feature is great for making easy work of that for you.

post #160 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I said nothing of the sort, but methinks he doth protest too much.

No one’s opinion is being limited in political threads. Political threads are being limited to the political subforum.

Fair enough.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says