or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994 - Page 4

post #121 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I've found the historical accuracy to be phenomenal, it's that aspect I find so enjoyable in his specials. There are so many that rewrite history, especially where Bill Gates and Apple are concerned. Or believe urban legends such as 'Gates saving Apple' when Steve came back. DED always gets it right.

Yep, a Jag XJS, a SAAB Turbo and the Jeep GC Limited are the best three vehicles I have ever owned and all for very different reasons. My wife is the one with the latest and fancy cars these days as she is a realtor so i do get to drive Mercs, Lexus, Audi, BMW etc. (she changed every two years or so) but they have never enticed me away from my Jeep ... If we go out together and I can choose either hers or mine, it's always the Jeep. I must be getting old! LOL

It's not the historical information, that I find to be very close to accurate if not spot on. It's the crazy spin that's usually associated with them that usually gets me. I know it's just for clicks though, so I'm not blinded. It reminds me of those Ancient Alien shows. They show some amazing, very real, unexplained item which is a fact. Then they go waaaaaay off on an extreme tangent to show how Aliens made/built them.

Never owned any of those other vehicles you mentioned. TrailHawk and Camaro. Both are amazing in build quality to me. Both suit a purpose.
post #122 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post



When I saw the iPad introduction, which was the first Apple intro I've seen, it blew me away and I thought it was going to replace or take over the business industry. Then I started touring businesses and noticed a lot of NEW computers being delivered even just this year. The employees were ecstatic to have a lap top. They were Lenovo "Tonka" style laptops that came complete with a docking station and external monitor. I asked the Director of Business why they were not using Apple laptops which had an obvious better build quality and I was told that the business had a 10 year deal with Lenovo to support all of the business functions required of the computer.



MS is going to be around for a long time to come.

 



Your attitude is exactly why MS will fade away into non relevence glorying in the past. Indeed the more people like you who spread the word that the Desktop is not dead the more it will hasten its slow slide into a niche market. It won't go away it will just become a back office system and people in 10 years will smile nostagically at them. Most tasks can be done on a tablet, we don't need a PC or laptop to do most things. That's what it will become, get used to it.

Its people like you who make statements like Balmer - "$500, fully subsidized, with a plan! That is the most expensive phone in the world and it doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard, which makes it not a very good email machine."

I didn't say they would either be profitable or at the forefront of any new tech (we could be surprised). I said they will be around for a very long time. You can hold me to that. I would say at the very minimum ten more years. That's a good portion of my life, so I'll call that a very long time if you don't mind. I have been around long enough to see a lot of large companies die out. Some go relatively quick. Some linger on the edges for a very long time.

As someone who has bought into the Apple ecosystem fully, trust me, I wouldn't mind if it were tomorrow. The looks I get from people who know I only use Apple products when a computer conversation has been brought up is enough for me to hope. Most times I need to sit silent because they gang up on you. It's the oddest thing I've ever encountered for a product. When I buy a new washing machine, grill, vehicle, or anything else for that matter everyone wants to hear my opinion on it or check it out. This whole Apple thing is odd to say the least. Articles like this that go so far I to conjecture probably don't help.

I tried showing an article from this site (not DED, a factual article) to someone a while back. They took one look and yelled "It's an Apple site and they're advertising everything Google!". I gave up.
post #123 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSince1988 View Post

There isn't much to look up, if you have been in an Apple Store which has more than just a Genius Bar: http://www.apple.com/retail/learn/. Apple seems to already have several options in place for educating current and potential customers.

Your experience must be different than mine. In my observations people generally do not go out of their way to lean anything at all unless it's their "hobby". If it's their "hobby" they usually know almost as much as professionals, if not more, in that specific field. The new Tips app may help, but I doubt it.

Edit: not every store is close or even convenient for everyone. In my case it's over an hour drive to an overly crowded mall in the center of a city where I have to pay to park yet still try to find a parking spot, which may take over 15 minutes. Walk down numerous hallways with "barkers". If I bring my G.F. We end up with new perfume, another iPhone case, or something I didn't want.

Then there's getting back out. I am perfectly capable of defending myself (more than capable actually), but walking back out of that situation with an Apple bullseye in my hand has made me feel very uncomfortable EVERY SINGLE TIME. I could share some interactions that I have been through but you probably would not believe them. Why are all of the sores located in the "inner-city"? Population, yea I know.

The Apple store isn't the answer for everything.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 7/22/14 at 9:12pm
post #124 of 128
Brilliant. Satya Nadella will go nowhere because he lacks vision of the whole picture. Google is a maniacal photocopy machine. They brag to have the most brilliant minds money can buy but they are unable to create anything new. Every product they launch is bought from someone or an idea from an outsider: adsense, adwords, streetview, google wave, buzz, everything. Not a single thing created by google people, what is surprising.
post #125 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

Brilliant. Satya Nadella will go nowhere because he lacks vision of the whole picture. Google is a maniacal photocopy machine. They brag to have the most brilliant minds money can buy but they are unable to create anything new. Every product they launch is bought from someone or an idea from an outsider: adsense, adwords, streetview, google wave, buzz, everything. Not a single thing created by google people, what is surprising.

And in two years the patent that Google's business model is built upon is up, open and available to everyone.

I love patents! The idea is out there and 20 years later everyone gains from it.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a D.E.D. article focused on this.
post #126 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post


And in two years the patent that Google's business model is built upon is up, open and available to everyone.

I love patents! The idea is out there and 20 years later everyone gains from it.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a D.E.D. article focused on this.
  1. Page Rank isn't Google's patent, its Stanford University's.
  2. Its already available to anyone, Google's exclusive rights expired in 2011.  Sure, you currently need to pay for it, but anyone can use it.
  3. It may have been a major part of Google's business model when they started, but it plays a very small part in Google's search algorithms today.

 

DED is pretty good at manufacturing hit pieces on the flimsiest of evidence, but I think even he might struggle to convince anyone that Google is doomed because this patent is expiring in 2017.

post #127 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

  1. Page Rank isn't Google's patent, its Stanford University's.
  2. Its already available to anyone, Google's exclusive rights expired in 2011.  Sure, you currently need to pay for it, but anyone can use it.
  3. It may have been a major part of Google's business model when they started, but it plays a very small part in Google's search algorithms today.

DED is pretty good at manufacturing hit pieces on the flimsiest of evidence, but I think even he might struggle to convince anyone that Google is doomed because this patent is expiring in 2017.

Nah, this is certainly a case of wait and see. It will be interesting. Not being able to Google a Google issue isn't unheard of.
post #128 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

It's nothing short of a cowardly character assassination to sit in the comments passing out accusations of copious "inaccuracies" without stating what any of these are, then represent a conversation where you stuff words into the authors mouth--without any specifics whatsoever--and complain how difficult this process is as the reason why you can't say anything other than what a terrible person in general the author is, because looking up the facts is so time consuming. Because you have so much else on your plate as you sit in AI comments for hours stabbing the author in the back while contributing very little at all.

Really hard to respect you. Especially when the "riddled errors" you like to complain about are simply your opinion as a Microsoft WiMo fan.

It's not "cowardly character assination". It is just what it is. You're writing articles from your point of view and it's very far flung from reality, with a couple doses of history installed. Call a cat a cat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994