or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994 - Page 2

post #41 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

Globalization for the best OS is the only thing left to do. UNIX please geez!!
....
But yeah windows just keeps piling on top of their os and re-using and scrapping etc...
 

 

OS X = UNIX

iOS is a form of UNIX.

They are the most popular forms of the UNIX operating system in the world.

 

But Windows is still a force. It is one of Microsoft's Core Competencies that earns Microsoft $16 BILLION a year no matter what happens to the economy.   Unfortunately Balmer flubbed with Windows 8.  So, like Steve Jobs did with the transition to Mac OS X from OS 9,  Nadella can transition Microsoft to a better Windows 9.

 

In the fight against Google, Apple needs partnerships.  And Microsoft is just as good to have as IBM.    

 

If only Microsoft would update its Mac OS X version of Office - its other core competency, it would be even more successful.

 

It is shocking how Microsoft has failed in its two primary competencies - Office and Windows - the bread and butter of its profits.

 

Nadella should realize that a healthy Microsoft Office on Mac OS X can save Microsoft Corporation just like it saved Apple decades ago.

post #42 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Do you correct people on their grammar in your day to day experience? Just curious.

As a general rule, no.

There are far too many of us on this planet with completely different cultures, backgrounds, and educations, none of which reflects on us as individuals. I believe that focussing on the message rather than the method of delivery is more important.

Regardless of that, you weren't correcting grammar to educate. You were attempting to use it as a weapon.

And unfortunately, your weapon turned out to be two sided.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #43 of 128

That article was boring. I don't disagree with any of the statements, just that there really wasn't a point. This is not the 90s and the comparisons with today are weak. The text jumps all over the place. Just a stream of random thoughts in no particular order and no central theme. Rambling, rambling, rambling...

 

But the rolling over like an overfed goldfish was original, so one thumbs up.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #44 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What's an oX Warp 2?
That's not him, that's related to the forum software, getting the article from the front page (Quiller Media, Inc) onto the forum software, from Huddler Lifestyle. Which is shyte.

I meant OS/2 Warp. If you haven't heard of it I can provide a link. Those who have may not need one.

I would like to see an actual reason for excessive pasting in the original articles. Tallest clued me in on the comment view, however the original article should not have that many "mistakes". I generally read the article before I jump to comments.
post #45 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

As a general rule, no.

There are far too many of us on this planet with completely different cultures, backgrounds, and educations, none of which reflects on us as individuals. I believe that focussing on the message rather than the method of delivery is more important.

Regardless of that, you weren't correcting grammar to educate. You were attempting to use it as a weapon.

And unfortunately, your weapon turned out to be two sided.

You would have to tell me which post, but I believe you missed the point. I have no qualms with you.
post #46 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Adjusted for inflation, it's about the same as 10 years ago. I think Microsoft's real problem is that they are a distant third in mobile, and thats where the growth is. Yes, they do have the desktop locked up, but that's fading star. Enterprise is shared by Microsoft with IBM, which had a strategy going forward that out-shines whatever 3100 word geek-speak plan Microsoft's head babbler has penned.

 

Mobile isn't the only growth area in tech. Microsoft can continue to be a very profitable business without a leading mobile OS. Nadella's latest e-mails and the release of Office for iPad show that Microsoft's strategy is moving away from mobile operating systems.

post #47 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

But Windows is still a force. It is one of Microsoft's Core Competencies that earns Microsoft $16 BILLION a year no matter what happens to the economy.

Indeed, and sad. The fact that companies do not wish to investigate alternatives and simply renew their subscriptions is sad. Consumers can be like that as well, simply buy a new PC, with Windows preinstalled, choosing that, because they don't know any better. Or see Apple as expensive. Just like they thought Apple computers had smaller screens 'back in the day' but merely were honest by stating the VIS size which the competition did not do.
Quote:
Unfortunately Balmer flubbed with Windows 8.  So, like Steve Jobs did with the transition to Mac OS X from OS 9,  Nadella can transition Microsoft to a better Windows 9.

But how? They have backward compatibility in their DNA. It is what Windows is. I don't see a way for them to make a drastic change, like Apple did by moving to Unix, unless MS too will run their current core in a VM box.
Quote:
In the fight against Google, Apple needs partnerships.

But do they need to fight Google? What's the point? Apple can simply be Apple, and laugh at all attempts Google makes at creating software (poorly designed IMO, but that's just me)
Quote:
If only Microsoft would update its Mac OS X version of Office - its other core competency, it would be even more successful.

It is shocking how Microsoft has failed in its two primary competencies - Office and Windows - the bread and butter of its profits.

Nadella should realize that a healthy Microsoft Office on Mac OS X can save Microsoft Corporation just like it saved Apple decades ago.

I think the vast amount of alternatives for Office on OSX makes MS not want to invest much time & money into creating a 'new version'. They'll likely update the current crap with some new features every few years. Besides, with these prices, who's going to buy it?
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #48 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But do they need to fight Google? What's the point? Apple can simply be Apple, and laugh at all attempts Google makes at creating software (poorly designed IMO, but that's just me)

+1
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #49 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hilarious! Wins the thread!

Someone who's debating grammar? LOL! I wonder how his text messages look...
post #50 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I meant OS/2 Warp.

Gotcha
Quote:
I would like to see an actual reason for excessive pasting in the original articles.

I think @Marvin knows what the exact reason is for the 'translation errors' that occur when the article gets a thread on the forum software. The article on the home page (that I never visit) is usually without these symptoms, or edited quickly after posting. The article in the thread used to be edited as well when Tallest Skill was still a mod here, but...alas.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #51 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hilarious! Wins the thread!

Someone who's debating grammar? LOL! I wonder how his text messages look...

Uhm, no. The humorous part is because he used Nazi in a double meaning.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #52 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Excellent substance, but the overuse of "beleaguered" was distracting. Other options: waning, tired, besieged, plagued.

You miss DED's sarcasm there. For decades, Apple has been the "beleaguered Apple" by hundreds of journalists. There have been articles written in the last year that still refers go Apple that way.
post #53 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Gotcha
I think @Marvin knows what the exact reason is for the 'translation errors' that occur when the article gets a thread on the forum software. The article on the home page (that I never visit) is usually without these symptoms, or edited quickly after posting. The article in the thread used to be edited as well when Tallest Skill was still a mod here, but...alas.

You are probably right. I do read the article and then jump to comments. There are many, many repeats. Especially when this author is concerned. I usually ignore them. At least I know they're written by a human. I was just letting that commenter know that I noticed them also. It really does look like cut and paste errors.
post #54 of 128

I agree 100% with this article.

 

Wall Streets BS about Google will end with a crash.

 

For the 2nd Quarter Google reported $4.99 EPS.  Compared to 2nd Quarter 2013 of $4.77.  That is earnings growth of a PATHETIC 4.6%.  So how on earth is Google given a 30 PE when earnings are growing less than 5%.

 

https://investor.google.com/earnings/2014/Q2_google_earnings.html

 

While Apple showed EPS growth of 15% Wall street gives Apple a PE of under 16.  Total and utter BS.

 

But you won't see that sub 5% growth in any headline about Google.  Why?  Because Google also reports non-GAAP numbers.  In other words total BS numbers.  And that's the numbers the media reports.  Those non-GAAP numbers don't include losses from discountinued operations (aka Motorolla) and employee stock compensation.  How convientent that Google decides to report numbers that don't include those massive losses from Motorolla and don't include the obscene stock compensation their top directors receive.  It blows my mind that the media and Wall Street does not call out Google for reporting these BS numbers that omit $1,000,000,000 in expenses.

post #55 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Uhm, no. The humorous part is because he used Nazi in a double meaning.

I'm going to be honest. I really don't get it. Is it a racist thing?
post #56 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Uhm, no. The humorous part is because he used Nazi in a double meaning.

I'm going to be honest. I really don't get it. Is it a racist thing?

No, usually when people call others out on a grammar error they get named a 'grammar Nazi'. GTR simply wrapped it up in a made-up story that Hitler had a Nazi working for him, writing speeches, basically being a 'grammar Nazi'.

That, or I am starting to see things and making stuff up in my already weird mind lol
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #57 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

There's an incredibly funny error I'm not to sure if you didn't add it intentionally.

"Instead, the company [Microsoft] has appointed a Gil Amelio, slashing jobs and spewing verbose but largely meaningless platitudes
 regarding Microsoft's future strategy."

You meant Satya Nadella lol.

EDIT: I misread. You said a Gil Amelio...

Even without an 'a' I'd have read it as a metaphor.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #58 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

No, usually when people call others out on a grammar error they get named a 'grammar Nazi'. GTR simply wrapped it up in a made-up story that Hitler had a Nazi working for him, writing speeches, basically being a 'grammar Nazi'.

That, or I am starting to see things and making stuff up in my already weird mind lol

Oh, what the heck! I even went back and re-read all of my posts several times. I missed a few periods (no pun) and commas. You people should see the texts I get from extremely educated people!
post #59 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I do read the article and then jump to comments. There are many, many repeats. Especially when this author is concerned. I usually ignore them. At least I know they're written by a human. I was just letting that commenter know that I noticed them also. It really does look like cut and paste errors.

I also read the article in the thread, not on/from the homepage. I think the number of repeated sentences increase with the onger articles. Hopefully Marvin can explain more, preferably Kasper gets rid of Huddler-the-crap-forum-software-provider and bring either vBulletin back or, I don't know, does Google or MS make forum software? Because I actually think that may even be a better choicesuck less than what Huddler gives us. But I digress.

http://www.huddler.com/our-platform/

Anyway, it indeed looks like a copy/paste screwup, which it isn't. Many newcomers comment on that....or leave because of it.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #60 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

OS X = UNIX
iOS is a form of UNIX.
They are the most popular forms of the UNIX operating system in the world.

But Windows is still a force. It is one of Microsoft's Core Competencies that earns Microsoft $16 BILLION a year no matter what happens to the economy.   Unfortunately Balmer flubbed with Windows 8.  So, like Steve Jobs did with the transition to Mac OS X from OS 9,  Nadella can transition Microsoft to a better Windows 9.

In the fight against Google, Apple needs partnerships.  And Microsoft is just as good to have as IBM.    

If only Microsoft would update its Mac OS X version of Office - its other core competency, it would be even more successful.

It is shocking how Microsoft has failed in its two primary competencies - Office and Windows - the bread and butter of its profits.

Nadella should realize that a healthy Microsoft Office on Mac OS X can save Microsoft Corporation just like it saved Apple decades ago.

You wrote some sense here in the first paragraph then go off the rails it seems to me. Fixing Windows, if possible, is too late, the platform it runs on is diminishing. i.e. beige, black or silver boxes that sit under desks. Trying to shoehorn it onto mobile devices has proven to be a disaster.

Office is hardly likely to sustain Microsoft, it's a spread sheet and a few other programs all of which are easily replaced. The only reason it was so ubiquitous in the first place is because so many people learned it and then felt protective of their investment in time learning it, especially MIS departments. The truth is there are tons of alternatives and in the end not that many people really need them these days. I would bet the vast number of Office users barely used 10% of it if that.

Lastly there is a new generation who have come of buying age that barely know Microsoft as anything but a maker of a game box.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #61 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post


Someone who's debating grammar? LOL! I wonder how his text messages look...

 

 

Probably a whole lot better than yours.

post #62 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post


Probably a whole lot better than yours.

Eh?
post #63 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I missed a few periods (no pun) and commas. You people should see the texts I get from extremely educated people!

I know, and it's new to me. I am appalled at many peoples writing styles, with plain and obvious errors, right in front of me. Can't understand why people don't bother to pay a little more attention. Though I'm not expecting proper English on a forum, but expect it amongst colleagues, emails, from family and such.

I'm sure I'm writing 'peoples' wrong here, I think I need to append an apostrophe there.


"Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit”
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #64 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I also read the article in the thread, not on/from the homepage. I think the number of repeated sentences increase with the onger articles. Hopefully Marvin can explain more, preferably Kasper gets rid of Huddler-the-crap-forum-software-provider and bring either vBulletin back 

I never read the forum on a mobile device so I wouldn't know about that but it doesn't seem so bad on a Mac. The problem with the repeated text is that on the original article linked on the home page they use side bars for emphasis. When the text is copied to import into the forum version the side bars get copied as well, but because they are imported as regular text it appears to be accidentally duplicated. Easy enough to ignore once you know how it occurred. The problem is that Kasper's Automated Slave is not all that smart. I could probably fix it in about 15 minutes just like I hacked the entire home page for my personal viewing experience.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #65 of 128

It's not just Microsoft and Google that have been stumbling, it's all of the (other) tech firms. None of them knew where to go next, only Steve Jobs knew.

post #66 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You wrote some sense here in the first paragraph then go off the rails it seems to me. Fixing Windows, if possible, is too late, the platform it runs on is diminishing. i.e. beige, black or silver boxes that sit under desks. Trying to shoehorn it onto mobile devices has proven to be a disaster.

Office is hardly likely to sustain Microsoft, it's a spread sheet and a few other programs all of which are easily replaced. The only reason it was so ubiquitous in the first place is because so many people learned it and then felt protective of their investment in time learning it, especially MIS departments. The truth is there are tons of alternatives and in the end not that many people really need them these days. I would bet the vast number of Office users barely used 10% of it if that.

Lastly there is a new generation who have come of buying age that barely know Microsoft as anything but a maker of a game box.

Ah, a breath of fresh air. Someone who thinks as I do. Office is on it's way out. It's going out with the older generation. When I show people they can do the same things on their iPad, I'm amazed they didn't know it was there. Unfortunately the iPad version is underpowered compared to the Mac version.

I know Apple has their Genius bars, but if they could actually show people what the product they own can actually do it would really work wonders. They need to find a cost effective way to educate everyone on how to use their device.

Before someone chimes in, no, not everyone looks it up.
post #67 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

That article was boring. I don't disagree with any of the statements, just that there really wasn't a point. This is not the 90s and the comparisons with today are weak. The text jumps all over the place. Just a stream of random thoughts in no particular order and no central theme. Rambling, rambling, rambling...

 

But the rolling over like an overfed goldfish was original, so one thumbs up.

 

Oh please! This article was at least as accurate and far more entertaining than 90% of the drivel we get from WallStreet analysts. I was glad to read something fun on a dull Monday morning. Thanks DED!

post #68 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never read the forum on a mobile device so I wouldn't know about that but it doesn't seem so bad on a Mac. The problem with the repeated text is that on the original article linked on the home page they use side bars for emphasis. When the text is copied to import into the forum version the side bars get copied as well, but because they are imported as regular text it appears to be accidentally duplicated. Easy enough to ignore once you know how it occurred. The problem is that Kasper's Automated Slave is not all that smart. I could probably fix it in about 15 minutes just like I hacked the entire home page for my personal viewing experience.

THIS is the explanation I remember! So it was you, not Marvin. Thank you for clearing that up, and also thanks for that handy java script that can block posters out, even when quoted.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #69 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never read the forum on a mobile device so I wouldn't know about that but it doesn't seem so bad on a Mac. The problem with the repeated text is that on the original article linked on the home page they use side bars for emphasis. When the text is copied to import into the forum version the side bars get copied as well, but because they are imported as regular text it appears to be accidentally duplicated. Easy enough to ignore once you know how it occurred. The problem is that Kasper's Automated Slave is not all that smart. I could probably fix it in about 15 minutes just like I hacked the entire home page for my personal viewing experience.

No. Really. The original articles on the "home" page, generally from this author, imply a lot of copy and pasting. It really is that bad. It jumps into paragraphs. I'm not joking. That's why I responded to the original commenter. It was the same way on this author's other site. I don't think it's an import error. It's the writers style.

Usually I just overlook it and shake my head (not that it needs more shaking). I just confirmed what that poster stated based on past experience and my own observations.

They never get corrected. If you want you can look up past articles/editorials. Apparently "corrections" only apply to posters and not original editorials.
post #70 of 128
I refuse to read this DED opinion based on previous submissions, but I congratulate AI on finally labeling his work "editorial". Perhaps there is still hope.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #71 of 128

Ssshhhh!

For heaven's sake, just ssshhhh!!!

post #72 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I also read the article in the thread, not on/from the homepage. I think the number of repeated sentences increase with the onger articles. Hopefully Marvin can explain more, preferably Kasper gets rid of Huddler-the-crap-forum-software-provider and bring either vBulletin back 

I never read the forum on a mobile device so I wouldn't know about that but it doesn't seem so bad on a Mac. The problem with the repeated text is that on the original article linked on the home page they use side bars for emphasis. When the text is copied to import into the forum version the side bars get copied as well, but because they are imported as regular text it appears to be accidentally duplicated. Easy enough to ignore once you know how it occurred. The problem is that Kasper's Automated Slave is not all that smart. I could probably fix it in about 15 minutes just like I hacked the entire home page for my personal viewing experience.

Thanks for explaining this - it's been bugging me for a long time, especially because,

while I enjoy the OpEd history and viewpoint, it seemed to bespeak a carelessness

that challenged the articles' credibility.  So your explanation helps!

post #73 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I refuse to read this DED opinion based on previous submissions, but I congratulate AI on finally labeling his work "editorial". Perhaps there is still hope.

When have DED's specials not been editorial? Speaking for myself I would add, I have yet to read one that wasn't spot on either, having lived and worked through the entire history of Apple with close connections to the industry myself. As you obviously take the opposite view would you care to explain on what basis and your personal qualifications / experience on which you base this to find them untrue?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #74 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

When have DEDs specials not been editorial?

Precisely. His pieces have never been accurately labeled before.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #75 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post


Probably a whole lot better than yours.

Please do write a paragraph or two in response to this article. I would enjoy the realization of how horrible my grammar is compared to yours.
post #76 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

When have DED's specials not been editorial? Speaking for myself I would add, I have yet to read one that wasn't spot on either, having lived and worked through the entire history of Apple with close connections to the industry myself. As you obviously take the opposite view would you care to explain on what basis and your personal qualifications / experience on which you base this to find them untrue?

This thread is surely only to debate the present article.

DED doesn't really prove anything in these articles, one way or the other. He's not giving a scientific opinion. In this article he is claiming that google 2014 and MS 2014 = Apple 1994. Which gives them a few years until they almost go bankrupt, then comes along a saviour?

This kind of equivalence is polemic. The past is not prelude. Apple had far fewer irons in the fire in 1994 than google or MS do now, a much less entrenched platform, and had lost it's founder. Unlike google.

Its the theme of the article, but not the only argument. He's probably right that google is overreaching, that Samsung may split the OS, that MS is flailing about looking for a new purpose; however neither of them are a few years away from near bankruptcy so the analogy flounders. However I assume it's an approximation, as I said an editorial is not a science.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #77 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Please do write a paragraph or two in response to this article. I would enjoy the realization of how horrible my grammar is compared to yours.

I have no idea why anybody criticised your grammar to begin with. Just ignore them.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #78 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

When have DED's specials not been editorial? Speaking for myself I would add, I have yet to read one that wasn't spot on either, having lived and worked through the entire history of Apple with close connections to the industry myself. As you obviously take the opposite view would you care to explain on what basis and your personal qualifications / experience on which you base this to find them untrue?

I've worked in the smartphone industry for over 14 years. Every time I read something about the pre-iPhone smartphone industry written by DED, I find it riddled with factual inaccuracies. When I've pointed these inaccuracies out in the past, DED gets very defensive and has tried to argue that up is down or that red is blue. I've given up trying as it often takes a long time to dig up evidence to support what I'm saying.

So, if DED is knowingly writing bullshit about a subject area that I know a lot about then I'm going to assume that he does it every subject.
post #79 of 128
Last year Mary Jo Foley reported that Microsoft had 16 business units/products that generate at least $1B in annual sales. As long as the enterprise is wedded to Windows, Office, Exchange, SQL Sever, Visual Studio, etc. I don't see Microsoft going away any time soon. Who has a competitive offering to replace Office in the enterprise? Maybe Google Docs for small businesses but large corporations aren't giving up Office any time soon.
post #80 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Last year Mary Jo Foley reported that Microsoft had 16 business units/products that generate at least $1B in annual sales. As long as the enterprise is wedded to Windows, Office, Exchange, SQL Sever, Visual Studio, etc. I don't see Microsoft going away any time soon. Who has a competitive offering to replace Office in the enterprise? Maybe Google Docs for small businesses but large corporations aren't giving up Office any time soon.

MS will be in enterprise for a long time. However that does not mean profits for MS. There are hardware vendors that sign extended agreements to maintain the hardware, which runs Windows. I've seen them for up to ten years on the hardware which is contract guaranteed.

On the flip side, companies are trying to save money. So employees have old or new hardware and if they're not deemed "worthy" then they do not get a license for Office. They get a shortcut on their screen for Google Docs. It's really a lose, lose situation for everyone involved on the hardware and software side. It's a loophole businesses are taking advantage of which will ultimately implode.

When the explosion happens people will wake up, but it's still a long way off. Believe it or not but those cheap computers really do last for a very long time. Most people go to work, and their computer is there waiting. You don't realize how many years go by before you have a problem. It's only brats on this site that have to buy a new one just because a new one was released. No one expects to go to work and have the most current computer waiting for them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994