or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 12 beta with 'elegant new design,' Family Sharing

Apple releases iTunes 12 beta with 'elegant new design,' Family Sharing

post #1 of 54
Alongside new beta versions of iOS 8, OS X Yosemite, and numerous development tools, Apple on Monday released a preview of iTunes 12 sporting what the company calls an "elegant new design" and support for the Family Sharing feature introduced at WWDC.

The new design echoes the flatter, more translucent cues of OS X Yosemite and features a number of more information-dense elements. The navigation bar, for instance, has been reorganized with individual buttons for Music, Movies, Television Shows, and Apps while hiding other less-used options behind a "more content" menu.

Also gone is the toggle to switch between the iTunes Store and the local library. Instead, users simply choose from a list of options -- the Apps section grants user the ability to choose "My iPhone Apps," "My iPad Apps," "List," "Updates," or "iTunes Store," for example.

Apple's Family Sharing program that allows up to six family members to share content from the iTunes Store, as long as each family member uses the same credit card. That feature is now available alongside improved playlist and a redesigned Get Info window.

While the application itself has been overhauled, the iTunes Store itself -- which is essentially a very interactive web app that runs inside iTunes -- has yet to be refreshed. Apple will likely hold such a change until iTunes 12 is ready for production.

Developers running a preview build of OS X Yosemite can download the iTunes 12 beta as an update in the Mac App Store. The application is not yet available for download from the Apple Developer Center.

post #2 of 54
That looks almost IDENTICAL to iTunes 11. Was hoping for more changes. Perhaps those will come later as this is a developer preview.
post #3 of 54
"Show Duplicate Items" is missing in this -- just like it was in the release of iTunes 11.0. Be sure to send feedback/file a bug if you use this feature!
post #4 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

That looks almost IDENTICAL to iTunes 11. Was hoping for more changes. Perhaps those will come later as this is a developer preview.

Somewhat similar, yes. Only now you no longer have an option to display the sidebar. Meh.

post #5 of 54
Quote:

I think this is very different from all previous versions of iTunes.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Somewhat similar, yes. Only now you no longer have an option to display the sidebar. Meh.
Uh oh, I can't live without that function! Hope it's just an alpha build omission!
post #7 of 54
Quote:

Uh oh, I can't live without that function! Hope it's just an alpha build omission!

I doubt it - you can "sort-of" get the old functionality back by displaying playlists and the column browser. That way you can still drag and drop tracks into and between playlists. But I don't see a way to display your devices in a sidebar the way you used to be able to.

post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

There is a sidebar when you click on Playlist from the top-center menu. The real difference is that each of the segments (TV Shows, Movies, Music, etc.) have quasi-unique sidebars. Meaning, they show only the library items of iTunes menu icons you've chosen at the top-left, but they list all Playlists, even if they don't or can't contain any items of the Media Kind. If anything this seems like Apple is separating the various types of media which is what people have been asking for years when they say they want a different app for each type. They do it on iOS, save for Movies and TV Shows being in the same app.

Edited by SolipsismX - 7/21/14 at 12:33pm

post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is a sidebar when you click on Playlist from the top-center menu. The real difference is that each of the segments (TV Shows, Movies, Music, etc.) have quasi-unique sidebars. Meaning, they show only the library items of iTunes menu icons you've chosen at the top-left, but they list all Playlists, even if they don't or can't contain any items of the Media Kind. If anything this seems like Apple is separating the various types of media which is what people have been asking for years when they say they want a different app for each type. They do it on iOS, save for Movies and TV Shows being in the same app.

That's not looking too bad, but I think the design language of having just icons to represent different areas of your iTunes library and devices will confused a lot of people. I preferred the old drop-down, full title version, was more intuitive IMHO.
post #10 of 54
Removing the sidebar has caused so much confusion for my users. Our first step in helping them with iTunes-related issues is to have them turn the sidebar back on. I still don't understand the new layout (but I have sidebar on so I don't need to)
post #11 of 54
And yes, the iTunes icon is red.
Welcome change from all that blue in the Dock.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #12 of 54
Originally Posted by Torrid Foster View Post

It's AWESOME becuase its Apple.

have you seen Android Music App?? CRAP

Yup.  Got a problem with that?

post #13 of 54
I’d like to see iOS app browsing and management extracted from iTunes on the Mac and moved to the standalone App Store app that's currently designated for Mac apps. Within that app, users could toggle between Mac, iPhone, iPad apps.

Feels like the Windows client is holding back Apple from anything innovative on the Mac client.
post #14 of 54
iTunes update? There's going to be new iPods this fall.......
post #15 of 54
I think it'll be far better if they move the icons to right side.
post #16 of 54
iTunes is my least favorite Apple product. The interface perplexes me even for simple tasks. I find creating playlists and managing devices is very unApple like. There may not be better a app, but its still isn't good. Reminds me of Quickbooks.
post #17 of 54
It is installed along with the latest Yosemite update, no need to down load from the app store. Liking it so far.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #18 of 54
Thank heaven they ditched that ridiculous library nav button. Going from a one click solution to a two click solution was never going to be a good idea.

censored

censored

post #19 of 54
Is there an option to manage my apps using the cloud rather than taking up hard drive space? Never understood why the physical apps have to be in my iTunes library taking up disk space when I can manage them in the cloud...
post #20 of 54
I just reverted back to iTunes 11.3 with the help of Time Machine. I find it interesting that the look of the contents of the Sidebar do look archaic by comparison to iTunes 12 even though iTunes 12 is less useful for my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Is there an option to manage my apps using the cloud rather than taking up hard drive space? Never understood why the physical apps have to be in my iTunes library taking up disk space when I can manage them in the cloud...

Sure. Just delete the locally stored iOS apps in your iTunes Library.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/21/14 at 1:38pm

post #21 of 54
My fear as always is that this new version of iTunes is going to cut off another OS X version from its compatibility list. I am really hoping that it will still support 10.6 as I use my core dual Mac mini as my TV media centre.

At least they did introduce a version of iTunes 11 that supports Family sharing.

Not sure I'm a fan of the red iTunes icon. The colour red has a lot of negative connotations in some cultures, then again positive ones it others. But still to me seems a bit harsh of a colour. Maybe it is just because it is a beta version.

I too want to have the sidebar on. With the recent iTunes 11 with the Family sharing, I'll likely hold out for a few sub versions.

We'll see%u2026
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippingrock View Post

My fear as always is that this new version of iTunes is going to cut off another OS X version from its compatibility list. I am really hoping that it will still support 10.6 as I use my core dual Mac mini as my TV media centre.

At least they did introduce a version of iTunes 11 that supports Family sharing.

Not sure I'm a fan of the red iTunes icon. The colour red has a lot of negative connotations in some cultures, then again positive ones it others. But still to me seems a bit harsh of a colour. Maybe it is just because it is a beta version.

I too want to have the sidebar on. With the recent iTunes 11 with the Family sharing, I'll likely hold out for a few sub versions.

We'll see%u2026

Having the latest version of iTunes on a Mac used for being a digital media hub may not be an issue so long as it has the features you want. I am using an 11 year old iMac running 10.5 and iTunes 10 and it's perfect in terms of connecting to my Apple TV and modern Macs with the latest OS and iTunes versions for Home Sharing.

post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Like Solips says, just delete them locally. I have to say I virtually never use iTunes anymore. All my music is managed on my iPhone. My library is with Apple in the form of iTunes match, and ditto books and apps. Movies are mostly handled through aTV. When Beats Music becomes available around these parts of the world I see even less use for iTunes (personally).

post #24 of 54
Please Add the Loop feature like you have in Quicktime 7.

I work in the pro audio world. I've worked in all the major studios for over 30 years now, with all the famous Songwriters, Producers, Artists, and Pro Audio Engineers in the world. I often use Quicktime 7, so that I can use the great Loop feature. I've done this on hundreds of sessions, for songwriting purposes. For writing a verse or a chorus, I would open the file in QT7, and select just the verse as a section, and set it to loop repeatedly, while we spent whatever amount of hours writing and singing to the looped section of a track. We've done this constantly on my laptop, or on the studio's desktop. It would be spectacular to be able to do this in iTunes. Not only is it great for songwriting purposes, but it's also great for educational purposes, where you might want to loop a section of the music for analysis, which I've also done hundreds of times in QT7. This would also be amazing for film students to be able to loop a scene.

iTunes should be able to do this, so we no longer have to open another App to do the job. I would love to just pick songs from my iTunes Library and use this feature. I would also ask that you consider adding a L/R Balance feature so we can listen to, and/or check things on the L & R of the stereo field for mix purposes.

Thank you, Glenn Swan
post #25 of 54
More importantly, does the screen shot mean we'll have to start paying to subscribe to appleinsider :-O
post #26 of 54

Have they released any pictures that illustrate the "elegant new design?" The ones in the article show a dog's breakfast of seemingly-random elements strewn carelessly into a window space.

No way in hell anyone with any grasp of UI design should let that clusterfook out the door, least of all Sir Jony.

Edit: It occurs to me that it may be better in practice than at first sight, but wow, that first sight isn't inspiring me with confidence.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

More importantly, does the screen shot mean we'll have to start paying to subscribe to appleinsider :-O

Wouldn't that be hilarious? :lol:

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #28 of 54

But is it upgraded for Metal? ;-)

... well, maybe not, but something needs to be done with the extremely sluggish performance. Is it snappy?

post #29 of 54

Are you serious!!! I think I'm gonna have a heart attack! I have been using iTunes like that for years!

post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Is it snappy?

Ah, the eternal quest for "teh snappy" - I'll find out here as soon as my machine reboots....

EDIT: Good news - it is much faster. Finally!
Edited by DocNo42 - 7/21/14 at 4:45pm
post #31 of 54

It's bad enough they had to use that god awful color for the iOS icon. They had to bring it to OS X? *sigh*

post #32 of 54
I don't know why Apple is omitting colored icons within iTunes for Music, Movies etc. OSX is so colorful and then they gray out the icons. Drives me insane. Just as they did in Finder... I don't get it.
post #33 of 54
I was concerned while reading that Apple was -yet again- overhauling iTunes' interface. However, upon studying the screen shot, I'm really stoked for the change. I think this new interface will be easier to understand & navigate than iTunes 10 & 11.
post #34 of 54
Curious if prior purchased content can be converted to "family share" or if it is prospective only. Most likely the latter.
post #35 of 54

Rather hideous looking imo....

post #36 of 54

Love the new look of the Get Info window. It's so much cleaner. 

post #37 of 54
Originally Posted by tronjheim67 View Post

Wish you could actually edit ALL the metadata there.

Wish you could actually edit ANY METADATA AT ALL in iBooks...

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And yes, the iTunes icon is red.
Welcome change from all that blue in the Dock.

I red somewhere that they blue it up. :lol:

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

Wouldn't that be hilarious? lol.gif

How so? I paid for a 1 year subscription, € 7,99 or something. App is only useful for ad-free articles, not the comment section, which for me is the main reason for visiting this site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shriner View Post

"Show Duplicate Items" is missing in this -- just like it was in the release of iTunes 11.0. Be sure to send feedback/file a bug if you use this feature!

Showing duplicates works fine for me in 11.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Is it snappy?

Ah, the eternal quest for "teh snappy" - I'll find out here as soon as my machine reboots....

EDIT: Good news - it is much faster. Finally!

Also for renaming files? Because that is still a drag. Slow and only one of my 8 cores do the work. It really looks like it isn't a multi-core, multi-threaded app at all.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Wish you could actually edit ALL the metadata there.

Wish you could actually edit ANY METADATA AT ALL in iBooks...

Still not? Geez, can't understand how they can oversee such a flaw. Yup, gave them feedback on it, but that won't mean it'll become a 'known issue' hehe

Who's the fool in charge of iBooks, Mr. ROM¿
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 12 beta with 'elegant new design,' Family Sharing