or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › OS X Yosemite Preview 4 brings redesigned Calculator, updated Dark Mode
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OS X Yosemite Preview 4 brings redesigned Calculator, updated Dark Mode

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Alongside a host of bug fixes, the latest developer preview of Apple's next-generation desktop operating system brought a few small but noticeable visual tweaks to some of OS X's oldest components.




Like iTunes -- which received a new user interface earlier Monday -- OS X's stalwart Calculator app has been updated to bring it into alignment with Yosemite's visual style. The display is now a darker translucent material, and the buttons have been flattened.

Apple had previously updated the Calculator's icon, but did not bring the visual refresh to the application until now.




Also coming along for the ride in the fourth Yosemite beta is a change to Dark Mode. First unveiled at WWDC and enabled in the second Yosemite beta, the feature gained a System Preferences toggle in Preview 3.

In Preview 4, that toggle now reads "Use dark menu bar and Dock," suggesting that Apple's default applications may not ship with Dark Mode-specific user interfaces. In addition, Apple appears to have refined the Dark Mode versions of some of its own menu bar icons.


post #2 of 50
I like the dark mode menus.

OT .. It maybe imagination but I am feeling the whole experience seems faster. It had a laggy feeling in the prior version. This not a Safari joke BTW ... I am being serious 1smile.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #3 of 50
Not happy at all with the new Yosemite interface. At first glance, it seemed really nice, but they seem to be make some changes for change sake, and it's actually a step backwards in terms of UI refinement. I'm sure it will grow on me, though.
post #4 of 50
I'll stick with PCalc.
post #5 of 50
Really? Redesigned calculator is news? Ok then . . . How about some stability and better app compatibility and stuff like that?
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Really? Redesigned calculator is news? Ok then . . . How about some stability and better app compatibility and stuff like that?

 

Agree. However, it's likely a lot of things also changed under the hood. This update just came out today; it will take time for people to test things like stability and compatibility.

post #7 of 50
Yosemite means literally %u201Cthose who kill%u201D

Bit stupid name %u2026


http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/origin_of_word_yosemite.html
post #8 of 50
The calculator GUI has zero distinctiveness between numerical buttons and everything else. The plain flat perfect squares without spaces between them make each button blend in to the whole thing to an undesirable level. It all just looks the same. The expended view is even worse. It's just awful. Worst calculator app GUI I've seen in a long time. It looks like the early 80s with sharper lines.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I like the dark mode menus.

OT .. It maybe imagination but I am feeling the whole experience seems faster. It had a laggy feeling in the prior version. This not a Safari joke BTW ... I am being serious 1smile.gif
 

 

I agree. I'm wondering if portions of the OS were re-written because system applications are opening up on my iMac in half a bounce and that has never happened with any of the previous OS's.

post #10 of 50
So, menus in dark mode and and finder in bright! Would be a bit crazy if they keep that in the final release. Steve would never have approved that nonsense.
post #11 of 50
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
In Preview 4, that toggle now reads "Use dark menu bar and Dock," suggesting that Apple's default applications may not ship with Dark Mode-specific user interfaces.

 

When did they ever say otherwise?

post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

The calculator GUI has zero distinctiveness between numerical buttons and everything else. The plain flat perfect squares without spaces between them make each button blend in to the whole thing to an undesirable level. It all just looks the same. The expended view is even worse. It's just awful. Worst calculator app GUI I've seen in a long time. It looks like the early 80s with sharper lines.

Aren't those distinctive, dark lines enough to distinguish the boundaries of the button?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #13 of 50

Looking forward to 'dark mode'.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #14 of 50

It looks almost identical to the free calendar app I have on my iPad/iPhone

post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

The calculator GUI has zero distinctiveness between numerical buttons and everything else.

On my display, the numerical buttons are distinctly lighter than the other buttons, but perhaps it's not enough difference for those who don't calibrate?

post #16 of 50

Glad calculator was finally updated fro the 80s look. That was such an eyesore. 

post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

Glad calculator was finally updated fro the 80s look. That was such an eyesore. 

 

To me what's surprising is not the look of the new design -- that's a subjective call -- but that Apple is devoting engineering resources to it at all. When people complain about bugs or long-standing interoperability issues between Apple apps, the apologist's response is that there are only so many engineers to go around. If that's really the case, maybe the prudent approach is to repair the framing and floors before redecorating.

 

Then again, structural repairs won't attract buyers the way splashing on a coat of fresh paint will.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

To me what's surprising is not the look of the new design -- that's a subjective call -- but that Apple is devoting engineering resources to it at all. When people complain about bugs or long-standing interoperability issues between Apple apps, the apologist's response is that there are only so many engineers to go around. If that's really the case, maybe the prudent approach is to repair the framing and floors before redecorating.

Then again, structural repairs won't attract buyers the way splashing on a coat of fresh paint will.

What bugs are you talking about. Each Mac OS X point update has several betas that list "No known issues" before they are released.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What bugs are you talking about. Each Mac OS X point update has several betas that list "No known issues" before they are released.

 

Just one of my favourites:

 

Create a new appointment in Calendar, then drag a contact into the appointment. See what the address looks like in Calendars.

 

I can give you a few other examples but the specifics of any particular strange behaviour isn't really the point. The point is allocation of limited resources.

 

The fact that they claim "no known issues" apparently means that they don't consider those behaviours to be "issues." That speaks volumes all by itself! :)

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

The fact that they claim "no known issues" apparently means that they don't consider those behaviours to be "issues."

What?! No known issue ≠ no issues. Have you submitted this bug? I assume you must have if you're telling us about it here, so what is the status of it?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

To me what's surprising is not the look of the new design -- that's a subjective call -- but that Apple is devoting engineering resources to it at all. When people complain about bugs or long-standing interoperability issues between Apple apps, the apologist's response is that there are only so many engineers to go around. If that's really the case, maybe the prudent approach is to repair the framing and floors before redecorating.

 

Then again, structural repairs won't attract buyers the way splashing on a coat of fresh paint will.

 

The resources being devoted to theming are quite likely mutually exclusive from the resources necessary for fixing the "long-standing interoperability issues" and/or bugs you're talking about.

post #22 of 50

"Dark Mode" is now "dark menubar and dock"? Very disappointied... :\

 

And the calculator... looks so mish-mashed. Dark/Translucent window decoration, no delineation between window decoration and calculator "screen", blinding contrast between decoration/screen and keypad.

 

I knew "dark mode" was too good to be true....

post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I agree. I'm wondering if portions of the OS were re-written because system applications are opening up on my iMac in half a bounce and that has never happened with any of the previous OS's.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant previous beta Yosemite versions, not previous released versions.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
 

 

I agree. I'm wondering if portions of the OS were re-written because system applications are opening up on my iMac in half a bounce and that has never happened with any of the previous OS's.

Maybe it has something to do with Swift?

post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

To me what's surprising is not the look of the new design -- that's a subjective call -- but that Apple is devoting engineering resources to it at all. When people complain about bugs or long-standing interoperability issues between Apple apps, the apologist's response is that there are only so many engineers to go around. If that's really the case, maybe the prudent approach is to repair the framing and floors before redecorating.

 

Then again, structural repairs won't attract buyers the way splashing on a coat of fresh paint will.

 

The resources being devoted to theming are quite likely mutually exclusive from the resources necessary for fixing the "long-standing interoperability issues" and/or bugs you're talking about.

 

 

But but but… what about the argument that "there are only so many engineers to go around?" If that's true, then anyone working on the "look" is delaying work on the "bugs," right?

 

(Don't worry, I'm not serious. I'm just taking a shot at the zealots who trot out that argument every time someone points out a long-standing issue.)


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 7/21/14 at 9:34pm

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What?! No known issue ≠ no issues.

 

Did you try the example I gave you?

 

Either Apple is not acknowledging certain issues or they're using clever language to obfuscate their existence, like saying "That's not a fault, that's an unsupported operation" since I can demonstrate at least one obvious and repeatable blurp. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Have you submitted this bug? I assume you must have if you're telling us about it here, so what is the status of it?
 

I'm not a developer so I have no means of ticketing a bug (that I know of) but I did report it via the feedback page.

 

Apple hasn't written to tell me how it's coming… ;) 


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 7/21/14 at 10:03pm

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Either Apple is not acknowledging certain issues or they're using clever language to obfuscate their existence.

So your claim is that Apple is aware of every issue you've had before you've had it? Can you prove that?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Either Apple is not acknowledging certain issues or they're using clever language to obfuscate their existence.

So your claim is that Apple is aware of every issue you've had before you've had it? Can you prove that?

 

What?! That's a ridiculous statement. I didn't say that and you know it. I also said that yes, I reported it to Apple.

 

Why are you so vehemently opposed -- to the point of absurd posturing -- to the idea that Apple may not be completely forthcoming with every issue that exists within their software? Obviously there are going to be things that they know about and just don't want to deal with right now. Rather than muddy the waters by calling them "known issues" with any particular beta, with the implication that it's something pending resolution, they just leave it alone.

 

If you're just going to accuse me of being disingenuous despite evidence to the contrary, there's no point in any further discussion.


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 7/21/14 at 10:01pm

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So your claim is that Apple is aware of every issue you've had before you've had it? Can you prove that?

Dude, chill out. It's an operating system not your mother.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

What?! That's a ridiculous statement. I didn't say that and you know it. I also said that yes, I reported it to Apple.

Why are you so vehemently opposed -- to the point of absurd posturing -- to the idea that Apple may not be completely forthcoming with every issue that exists within their software? Obviously there are going to be things that they know about and just don't want to deal with right now. Rather than muddy the waters by calling them "known issues" with any particular beta, with the implication that it's something pending resolution, they just leave it alone.

If you're just going to accuse me of being disingenuous despite evidence to the contrary, there's no point in any further discussion.

You did. You said EITHER Apple isn't acknowledging it which implies they know about it or they are using sleazy language to give themselves plausible deniability, despite "No known bugs" being pretty fucking clear. You created a scenario that doesn't allow for their developers to not be aware of a particular bug. You did!

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

What?! That's a ridiculous statement. I didn't say that and you know it. I also said that yes, I reported it to Apple.

Why are you so vehemently opposed -- to the point of absurd posturing -- to the idea that Apple may not be completely forthcoming with every issue that exists within their software? Obviously there are going to be things that they know about and just don't want to deal with right now. Rather than muddy the waters by calling them "known issues" with any particular beta, with the implication that it's something pending resolution, they just leave it alone.

If you're just going to accuse me of being disingenuous despite evidence to the contrary, there's no point in any further discussion.
There are a few individuals here that like to engage in "absurd posturing." I'd tell you to ignore them but it's difficult since they dominate almost every post. They consider saying anything even slightly critical about Apple to be heresy. Even saying you have a preference that is contrary to what Apple has made available (like finally adding a keypad to the wireless keyboard, for example) will be met with hostility. They take being a fan to a new level.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You did. You said EITHER Apple isn't acknowledging it which implies they know about it or they are using sleazy language to give themselves plausible deniability, despite "No known bugs" being pretty fucking clear. You created a scenario that doesn't allow for their developers to not be aware of a particular bug. You did!

 

Tell you what: I'll call Apple first thing tomorrow morning. I won't hang up until I'm allowed to speak to someone on the OS engineering team. I will describe the very same issue I outlined for you. Then we'll wait for the next beta and see if it shows up as a "known issue."

 

Will THAT satisfy you?

 

BTW, I'm willing to wager a month's income on the outcome. Are you?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

(like finally adding a keypad to the wireless keyboard, for example)

 

Must… suppress rant… about wireless keyboard… useless for Pro Tools... ARG!

 

This new "Dark mode" sounds interesting though, doesn't it? ;)

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

Did you try the example I gave you?

 

Either Apple is not acknowledging certain issues or they're using clever language to obfuscate their existence, like saying "That's not a fault, that's an unsupported operation" since I can demonstrate at least one obvious and repeatable blurp. 

 

I'm not a developer so I have no means of ticketing a bug (that I know of) but I did report it via the feedback page.

 

Apple hasn't written to tell me how it's coming… ;) 

Uhh, you can register as a free developer, and get access to the Radar (aka Apple Bug Reporter). I know because I'm in the developer program (for Safari, if I recall correctly) and I don't pay $99 yearly.

Quote:
 The iPhone is the best, but HTC's One (M8) or the Moto X are okay too I guess.
Reply
Quote:
 The iPhone is the best, but HTC's One (M8) or the Moto X are okay too I guess.
Reply
post #35 of 50
When Apple say "No known issues" they mean "No known issues which we consider blockers". There are plenty of bugs in radar on any release, and they get working on the 10.x.1 release to fix them ( and any others which turn up after general release).

Dark mode was presented in the keynote - and in the API - as a universal feature which you could use as part of your applications. They seem to be moving away from that now.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #36 of 50
@digitalclips Indeed. Preview 4 is a lot faster [than previous betas].
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Tell you what: I'll call Apple first thing tomorrow morning. I won't hang up until I'm allowed to speak to someone on the OS engineering team. I will describe the very same issue I outlined for you. Then we'll wait for the next beta and see if it shows up as a "known issue."

Will THAT satisfy you?

BTW, I'm willing to wager a month's income on the outcome. Are you?

Yes, but it has to be someone from the Mac OS X development team.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No known issue ≠ no issues.

Are you suggesting that when Apple ship a preview with "no known issues" that their Radar backlog is totally clear?  Because that's demonstrably untrue.

 

Many developers have many issues with Apple's responsiveness to bug reporting.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

When did they ever say otherwise?

In previous previews the dark mode affected in-app controls.  It was hidden at the time, but set an expectation.

 

http://www.cultofmac.com/282685/enabling-yosemites-hidden-dark-mode-feature/

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Are you suggesting that when Apple ship a preview with "no known issues" that their Radar backlog is totally clear?  Because that's demonstrably untrue.

Many developers have many issues with Apple's responsiveness to bug reporting.

Yes, I'm saying that whatever team puts the bug list together is not aware of any bugs for that release; anything else would be disingenuous. Whether there are people reporting bugs in their developer portal or if Apple's slow to respond to those is a completely different issue.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › OS X Yosemite Preview 4 brings redesigned Calculator, updated Dark Mode