or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Apple preparing 70M to 80M combined iPhone 6 units for biggest launch ever

WSJ: Apple preparing 70M to 80M combined iPhone 6 units for biggest launch ever

post #1 of 82
Apple has reportedly asked partner suppliers in Asia to ramp up mass production of expected 4.7- and 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" models, with combined orders for both versions amounting to between 70 million and 80 million units.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal reports Apple is asking suppliers to produce between 70 million and 80 million 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models by the end of December, the biggest initial handset order in company history.

As noted by the publication, the supposed order is much larger than the initial production run for combined iPhone 5s and 5c models, which came out to between 50 million and 60 million units in 2013.

In addition to the expectedly large launch offering, or offerings, Apple is reportedly asking suppliers to ready components for up to 120 million iPhones by the end of 2014 to compensate for possible display failures. With larger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screens, display makers are said to be seeing yield issues due to the inclusion of advanced in-cell touch technology. The overall figure is huge compared to last year, which saw Apple prepare parts for 90 million iPhones for its supply chain, sources said.

It appears Apple may already be experiencing manufacturing delays, however, as the people said Foxconn and Pegatron are expected to start production of the 4.7-inch version in August. Foxconn is supposedly responsible for all 5.5-inch iPhone 6 orders and will begin manufacturing the "phablet" in September, suggesting the handset will not see release until October at the soonest.

The report contrasts a recent rumor that pegged iPhone 6 production to begin this week for the smaller version, while the larger next-gen model would hit the assembly line in August.
post #2 of 82
Has anyone actually seen a part for the alleged 5.5" model, or is it all just "fluff"?
post #3 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokip View Post

Has anyone actually seen a part for the alleged 5.5" model, or is it all just "fluff"?

Yes.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes.

OK ... a link please !

post #5 of 82

Yeah, I have a feeling that once again, I'm still going to be waiting for 2 months after I order it until I get my phone. The only iPhone I've ever been able to get within launch week was the original one.

post #6 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokip View Post

OK ... a link please !

Sure.

post #7 of 82
Why stop at 70? Make it an even 100 MM!
post #8 of 82

The biggest problem I see with the staggered release of the two models (hope they're able to avoid that), is all the people who may be on-the-fence about which size they really want.

"Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can hold both sizes in my hand, side by side, and then make a decision."

post #9 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

The biggest problem I see with the staggered release of the two models (hope they're able to avoid that), is all the people who may be on-the-fence about which size they really want.
"Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can hold both sizes in my hand, side by side, and then make a decision."

Unless I feel that holding a 4.7" iPhone is all I need to make that decision then I might do that. That said, I don't think that's a big issue for Apple, expect for launch weekend and first quarter sales figures as the analysts might predict doom and gloom, but over all not a big issue for Apple since these customers are going to buy an iPhone either way.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/21/14 at 6:11pm

post #10 of 82

Or "Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can try fitting both sizes in my pocket, and then make a decision."

​The pocket size issue will be a deal-breaker for many.

I'm going to pre-order the 4.7" iPhone "6" for exactly that reason.

(If the rumors of a 4.7" screen are true.)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #11 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Or "Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can try fitting both sizes in my pocket, and then make a decision."

I already thought about this. I borrowed a friend's 6" LG Flex for a few minutes and put it in my pocket, walking around and sitting in my car. For me, the size won't be an issue.

post #12 of 82
Slowly, slowly, there's less talk about what Apple will release in the 4" size. I suppose the 5s and 5c will be back to cover the budget end, but there's been a complete silence on that. One thing I do hope is that the minimum memory in the iPhone 6 will be 32G. There's just so many good apps, music, and iBooks out there to get by on 16G. 1wink.gif

I'm ready to go for an iPhone 6, and put my iPhone 5 on eBay. it's been a great iPhone but it's time to move on.

The other quiet area is regarding the iPad update. It's almost a given that it will have the updated SoC and Touch ID, but what else is gonna be added to the device??

Whatever will be released this Fall, it's gonna be another nice Christmas for Apple. Ho, ho, ho!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #13 of 82
Quote:

Quote:

Unless I feel that holding a 4.7" iPhone is all I need to make that decision then I might do that. That said, I don't think that's a big issue for Apple, expect for launch weekend and first quarter sales figures as the analysts might predict doom and gloom, but over all not a big issue for Apple since these customers are going to be an iPhone either way.

I agree. Heads Apple wins, tails Apple doesn't lose.
post #14 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Why stop at 70? Make it an even 100 MM!

They will actually go way over 100MM when you add in the low cost options of a 5s and 5c....

By coming out with two iPhones last year and two more this year, Apple will still offer the total 4 current models offering like last year only with much more modern architecture (dropping the 4s).

For what it's worth, I still haven't see a 5c in the wild.
post #15 of 82
Quote:

Bob, your kind is becoming scarce. Adhere to your principles. :)

NEWS BULLETIN: Patience died leaving Anticipation stranded on a desert island.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #16 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

NEWS BULLETIN: Patience died leaving Anticipation stranded on a desert island.

tl;dr

post #17 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

They will actually go way over 100MM when you add in the low cost options of a 5s and 5c....

By coming out with two iPhones last year and two more this year, Apple will still offer the total 4 current models offering like last year only with much more modern architecture (dropping the 4s).

My brother has a 5C plus I've seen a few of them in public and work.
post #18 of 82
Quote:

I have seen dozens.
post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have seen dozens.

I see them all the time and know many people that own them. They stand out due to their high gloss colours.

post #20 of 82

Gotta get those page views, WSJ!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 82
Quote:

Quote:

Unless I feel that holding a 4.7" iPhone is all I need to make that decision then I might do that. That said, I don't think that's a big issue for Apple, expect for launch weekend and first quarter sales figures as the analysts might predict doom and gloom, but over all not a big issue for Apple since these customers are going to buy an iPhone either way.

Yeah. When I talk about Apple and "issues" or "problems", I'm almost always really referring to "media", "analysts", and "perception".;) 

post #22 of 82

If the big one isn't ready for a Fall release, maybe as a stopgap measure, for comparison purposes, Apple Stores can have a sample Galaxy in that size.

I'm referring of course to the Galaxy S6 which will surely release in August and copy the iPhone 6 in every way, except those that count.

Kidding.

post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I already thought about this. I borrowed a friend's 6" LG Flex for a few minutes and put it in my pocket, walking around and sitting in my car. For me, the size won't be an issue.

(that's funny) Just goes to show where my head's at:

Never even occurred to me that anybody could just walk into a Bestbuy, or somewhere, and pick up any "iPhone-like" unit in roughly those sizes, and get a good enough feel for what sized device they would like for their next iPhone.

Maybe I should do that. (though I feel quite certain I'll be a 4.7)

post #24 of 82
Two launches is twice the publicity of lines waiting to buy. Sounds like a good idea to me.
post #25 of 82
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Awkward for me to pull my iPhone 5 out of my Levi's 501 left front pocket when I'm sitting down.

Nearly impossible to get it back into the front pocket when I'm sitting down.

Sure, walking around, sitting, etc. may be OK with, say, a 4.7" iPhone "6."  But it might be really tough to get it in and out of my pocket when seated.  Unless, of course, it has that rounded-edge backshell.  That should reduce friction, and I would also be able to avoid buying a case.  I only need a case for my 5 because the anodized edges get worn through unless they're protected.  Not an issue with the silver, major issue with the slate.  Rounded edges would eliminate that sharp "hot spot" along the edge that focuses all the wear on a very narrow area.

And, hoping beyond all hope, maybe the "6" will get a scuff-resistant Liquidmetal backshell...

post #26 of 82
I hope Apple isn't painting themselves into a corner with this move—especially if they really are going to have the 4.7" as the smallest premium phone.

In my opinion, the actual real or potential iPhone customers (i.e., neither Fandroid trolls nor paid shills) who are so hot for larger screens that they would even consider switching to Android over it are a vanishingly small percentage—a..."rounding error", if you will.

They are extremely loud and extremely annoying on tech-fan sites like this one, but among the general public I doubt if they're numerous enough to be measurable in the actual sales figures, especially if there's any kind of cost premium associated with the larger size.

Personally, I wish they'd go back to the 4:3 3.5" size, mostly because 16:9 is a horrendous aspect ratio for a phone. (Or a tablet. Or a computer. Or basically anything but a TV set.)
post #27 of 82
If they stagger, I hope they at least tell us if the specs/options will be the same and what the price points will be.
post #28 of 82

My co-worker uses a Samsung phone. He always carries the phone with hand. And put it down at table

when goes out for lunch.

I joked that I would lose the phone very fast if I carry the phone this way.

post #29 of 82
Quote:

I have seen scads of them. I work in a middle school and they are very popular--not that the kids were dying for them specifically, but the parents aren't springing for the 5s...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #30 of 82
I'll be waiting for the 5.5 incher. I've been holding onto my iPhone 4 since 2010. I want a full blown upgrade. I mean, I've never even experienced Siri. Can't wait.
post #31 of 82
Unless you are wearing skinny jeans, a 6" phone fits in the pocket just fine.
I have a Nokia 1520 as a 2nd device, just for the fun of trying it out and I have no issues using the large device or storing it in my pockets.

Going into production and release dates are 2 different things.
They are most likely going to sell the 4.7" iPhone 2-to-1 over the 5.5"
It makes sense that they would start stock piling the 4.7 nearly a full month before the 5.5"
Then they release both in Oct. and have plenty of both.

I am going 5.5" no doubt in my mind, even IF it releases later than the 4.7"
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
post #32 of 82
Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post
I want a full blown upgrade.

And a 5.5” phone is as blown as you’ll get.

Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

Completely and utterly wrong.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #33 of 82
I'll be buying the largest iPhone available on release day. If they stagger and release a larger one later on, I'll buy that one on its release day too and then worry about selling the smaller one used - or simply returning it to Apple for a full refund if it's been less than 30 days.
post #34 of 82
I know several friends moving back from Android this year. Also quite a few (really a lot) of folks I know with a 4S who've been waiting for the upgrade.

I think Apple knows that even 60M may not be enough to meet demand. Impressive.
post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I have seen scads of them. I work in a middle school and they are very popular--not that the kids were dying for them specifically, but the parents aren't springing for the 5s...

I'm one of those parents.

post #36 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

I know several friends moving back from Android this year. Also quite a few (really a lot) of folks I know with a 4S who've been waiting for the upgrade.

I think Apple knows that even 60M may not be enough to meet demand. Impressive.

Yeah. I'm in the 4S camp. Been out of contract for a year but decided to skip the 5S.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #37 of 82

I'll be upgrading my iphone4s and my other halfs iphone4.

Probably the larger one for me and the smaller one for the lady of the house, but that depends on if I can fit it in my non-skinny jeans front pocket easily enough. I didn't buy a 5 or a 5s as I didn't want something bigger due to the pockets issue. But my eyes are starting to demand a larger screen. Might have to go with an iPhone case with a chain and use back pocket.

When new iPad comes out I'll be upgrading that too, and probably buy an extra one too.

Basically going all Lightning to avoid different cables.

Old devices given to family.

iWatch? If they make it I will buy it.

New Apple TV? If they make it I will buy it.

post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

In my opinion, the actual real or potential iPhone customers (i.e., neither Fandroid trolls nor paid shills) who are so hot for larger screens that they would even consider switching to Android over it are a vanishingly small percentage—a..."rounding error", if you will.

I think you're right.

On the other hand you've got people like me still using an iPhone 4 because subsequent offerings haven't been what I really want, which is a phablet. Since an upgrade costs $1800 ($900 each for wife and me), we decided we'd rather just carry on with dated tech than pay long coin for something else that still isn't really what we want.

So we haven't switched to another brand, but we haven't bought anything from Apple either.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #39 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

Completely and utterly wrong.

Nope.

(Annoying, isn't it?)

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #40 of 82

Agreed, I don't know what skin tight trousers other people are wearing, but my pockets have oodles of room around my 5S; plenty of room for a much bigger screen.

censored

censored

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • WSJ: Apple preparing 70M to 80M combined iPhone 6 units for biggest launch ever
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Apple preparing 70M to 80M combined iPhone 6 units for biggest launch ever