or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple falls short of expectations with $7.7B in profit on sales of 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads

Apple falls short of expectations with $7.7B in profit on sales of 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads - Page 4

post #121 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Your statement begs the question:

What is your explanation for the slide in iPad sales 2 quarters in a row?

I believe the answer to be the longetivity of the device and that it's considerably too early to decide how an entire category of device is faring based on a brief six month period.

To be more accurate we need to wait longer.
post #122 of 177
Quote:

You're joking, right?

In his case, not at all.

Gatorguy isn't here just to muse. His posting history confirms that.
post #123 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We already have 3 TVs in the house (one with large screen).

The problem is that we have 5 people who all want to watch different things at the same time,

We can't split the carrier signal to support another TV -- tried that and the signal degraded to all TVs (lost connections, signal breakup, etc).

We all have SteamToMe and can concurrently watch different movies from our iTunes Movie repository over WiFi -- no problem there.

Like to be able to do that with live TV too.!

Who says you have hook it up to a cable STB? I have a TV that's only hooked up to a Roku.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #124 of 177

The world is hilarious.

Microsoft (MSFT) is in a flat/shrinking business, trades at a premium to Apple (AAPL), misses its earnings expectations with over a 10% decrease in EPS, and the stock is up 1% after hours.

Meanwhile AAPL meets expectations, EPS increases 20%, trades at a discount compared to microsoft, and is down 0.5% after hours.

Go figure.

post #125 of 177
Why is every other major news site reporting that Apple Exceeded Expectations??

Market Watch -
Apple profit tops targets
on strong iPhone sales

USA TODAY -Apple slightly tops earnings estimate as iPhone stays strong

CNBC - Apple profit beats estimates, revenue short

Yet, AI - is reporting Apple missed estimates???

Explain please
post #126 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I believe the answer to be the longetivity of the device and that it's considerably too early to decide how an entire category of device is faring based on a brief six month period.

To be more accurate we need to wait longer.

That's not an answer.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #127 of 177
Quote:

In his case, not at all.

Gatorguy isn't here just to muse. His posting history confirms that.

Whether you like his bias or not, GG's post are more informed and better written than the vast majority of the people who comment in this forum.

He can muse as much as the next guy.

Hell... I basically said the same thing as GG. The iPad is getting down to niche status and I believe it's because the iPad doesn't do enough yet to pull it into a real category of its own. You can't replace a pc with something that doesn't do as much, especially when most people's phones do the exact same thing.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #128 of 177
Quote:

Your statement begs the question what would the majority of people, who have jobs, families, hobbies, and interests prefer:

1. An inexpensive, easy-to-use tablet backed up with superb customer service and assistance.
2. A more expensive, complicated computer with a learning curve and no customer service.

What were they doing before tablets became popular?
post #129 of 177
Quote:

That's not an answer.

Then allow me to elaborate.

Apple's devices are so well made, and their software supported for so long, that users are quite happy to retain the device for long periods of times, hence putting off the need to update on a yearly basis.

That is my belief.

post #130 of 177
Quote:

Whether you like his bias or not, GG's post are more informed and better written than the vast majority of the people who comment in this forum.

He can muse as much as the next guy.

Hell... I basically said the same thing as GG. The iPad is getting down to niche status and I believe it's because the iPad doesn't do enough yet to pull it into a real category of its own. You can't replace a pc with something that doesn't do as much, especially when most people's phones do the exact same thing.

That is your opinion.

Quite frankly I find his posts boring and bias and I am not alone in that regard.

If you wish to continue this off-topic discussion please feel free to do so in private.

post #131 of 177
Quote:

Then allow me to elaborate.

Apple's devices are so well made, and their software supported for so long, that users are quite happy to retain the device for long periods of times, hence putting off the need to update on a yearly basis.

That is my belief.

Then it will soon be just a niche product if Apple can't find new buyers for the product. Hell, even pc sales were up yoy.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #132 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What were they doing before tablets became popular?

Using a device that was considerably more complex than they required.

post #133 of 177
Quote:

That is your opinion.

Quite frankly I find his posts boring and bias and I am not alone in that regard.

If you wish to continue this off-topic discussion please feel free to do so in private.

Yes, that's my opinion, just like that's your opinion... and I'm not so arrogant as to speak for what other people believe. You started the off topic discussion... and I have absolutely no wish to discuss this with you privately.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #134 of 177
Quote:

Then it will soon be just a niche product if Apple can't find new buyers for the product. Hell, even pc sales were up yoy.

It may. Or it may not.

However, my personal belief is that it is considerably too early to confirm.

post #135 of 177
Quote:

Using a device that was considerably more complex than they required.

Now your exaggerating. A PC is not 'considerably more complex' to use than a tablet. At the age of 4 my son was able to sit at a PC and successfully launch his learning software plus navigate the web.
post #136 of 177
Quote:

Now your exaggerating. A PC is not 'considerably more complex' to use than a tablet. At the age of 4 my son was able to sit at a PC and successfully launch his learning software plus navigate the web.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU

post #137 of 177
Quote:

You're assuming everyone has Win 8. I have a 2 yr old Win 7 PC that runs just fine. I don't see any added benefit in upgrading to 8.
post #138 of 177
Quote:

You're assuming everyone has Win 8. I have a 2 yr old Win 7 PC that runs just fine. I don't see any added benefit in upgrading to 8.

You're assuming that I'm assuming that everyone has Win 8.

post #139 of 177
Quote:

You're assuming that I'm assuming that everyone has Win 8.

lol.gif you're the one that sent a Win 8 YouTube video.
post #140 of 177
Quote:

lol.gif you're the one that sent a Win 8 YouTube video.

But I never claimed that it represented everyone.

post #141 of 177
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq4x5KdBniw

New tech can be confusing, particularly for those accustomed to other ways of doing things.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #142 of 177
Quote:

I've budgeted to replace two computers at the office this next month (one in accounting and the other for entering/tracking new orders). Neither will be using Win8.
Edited by Gatorguy - 7/22/14 at 6:27pm
post #143 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The interesting thing here is to see what Apple does with iPad especially considering a larger screen iPhone is surely coming. What does Apple need to do to increase iPad sales in a meaningful way?
Well I'm waiting on one to upgrade to. The only reasons I haven't already are the lack of touch ID, no RAM and no flash upgrades. Fact is Apple got greedy with the last update.

One other thing would help too. Include a second USB port and support common drivers especially USB to serial. IPad would be a fantastic platform for field work if it could communicate easily with a variety of hardware. MiFi sucks in this regard, it is a program that does more harm than good.
post #144 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

New tech can be confusing, particularly for those accustomed to other ways of doing things.

Nothing new. It has likely been so since the beginning of time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

post #145 of 177
Quote:

PC sales spiked because of stupid businessess rushing to replace an OS that should have died years ago. Not because people love PC's, or suddenly decided that they hated tablets.

There are also people making the mistake of buying any Android tablet. Google has done more damage to the concept of a tablet than anyone else could dream of doing.
post #146 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I believe that anybody who claims that a personal computer is easier to use than an iPad probably falls outside the category of the majority of people.

But let's not take my word for it. Let's wait and see what the future holds.

If I'm incorrect then anybody who doesn't make an iPad has nothing to worry about.
post #147 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

PC sales spiked because of stupid businessess rushing to replace an OS that should have died years ago. Not because people love PC's, or suddenly decided that they hated tablets.

There are also people making the mistake of buying any Android tablet. Google has done more damage to the concept of a tablet than anyone else could dream of doing.

Let me rephrase that so that it is more obvious that I was staying on topic with the earnings call.

"Hell, even Mac sales were up yoy."

I've never thought a business stupid because it bought Macs.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #148 of 177
Quote:

Oh god.

You are calling a product that sells 200 million units a year a niche product?

IMO the slowing growth in tablet sales is directly related to large phones. People are cross shopping tablets with 6 inch phones. For many they rather just buy one device instead of two.

This is okay. You need to sell 3 ipads to make the same profit as one large iPhone. The tablet will continue to go through evolutionary steps and the ipad will lead the way. People need to remember that the iPAd is the quickest growing device 3 years in. I think the iPhone took 5 years to reach the unit sales the iPad reached in 3 years. The slow down is natural and expected. We will grow once again when the new iPads have features that destroy the iPad3 and iPad4. The iPad Air is great but all it really was is a lighter iPad3. Once you can convince iPad 3/4 owners you will see growth again.
Edited by sog35 - 7/22/14 at 8:35pm
post #149 of 177

Not EVERY Apple quarter can be an earth-shattering, game-changing record-breaker. 

They've had, and continue to have, more than most. 

Perspective, guys. 

post #150 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Oh god.

IMO the slowing growth in tablet sales is directly related to large phones. People are cross shopping tablets with 6 inch phones. For many they rather just buy one device instead of two.

This is okay. You need to sell 3 ipads to make the same profit as one large iPhone. The tablet will continue to go through evolutionary steps and the ipad will lead the way. People need to remember that the iPAd is the quickest growing device 3 years in. I think the iPhone took 5 years to reach the unit sales the iPad reached in 3 years. The slow down is natural and expected. We will grow once again when the new iPads have features that destroy the iPad3 and iPad4. The iPad Air is great but all it really was is a lighter iPad3. Once you can convince iPad 3/4 owners you will see growth again.
In what universe does iPad sell 200M units a year? I think life to date iPad has sold ~220M units.
post #151 of 177
[quote name="Quadra 610" url="/t/181515/apple-falls-short-of-expectations-with-7-7b-in
-profit-on-sales-of-35-2m-iphones-13-3m-ipads/120#post_2567964"]Not EVERY Apple quarter can be an earth-shattering, game-changing record-breaker. 

Perspective, guys. 
[/quote]
It's amazing how a company can post $7.7 BILLION in profits in ONE QUARTER and it's considered "meh".
post #152 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Oh god.

Quote:

In what universe does iPad sell 200M units a year? I think life to date iPad has sold ~220M units.

I'm talking about tablets in general
post #153 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Not EVERY Apple quarter can be an earth-shattering, game-changing record-breaker. 

Perspective, guys. 

June Qtr

Google EPS 4.6% growth
Apple EPS 20% growth

Huh?

Google went up 4% the next day.
post #154 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

My father still being very satisfied with its ipad 2 says ot all. Upgrade cycle is very long.

the "problem" with Apple is their products last forever.

I come from gaming blogs and this used to screw Nintendos numbers. Nintendos products last long so people would buy ONCE. sony on the other hand had crazy sales. but everyone who owned one was on their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th replacement console because they would break.

My niece had a cheap android and it broke within 3 months. she just got a new one today. so androids market share is up by 1, even though it's the same person.

am I making sense here?

so basically one person can have 5 android tablets with 4 in the trash. while another person can have ONE iPad for 3 years. making market share 4 to 1.
post #155 of 177

Apple Insider is a Rumor & Blog site.   Lets be reminded that they have no idea of how the market works. They obviously made a huge mistake in this article,  but again, they are a rumor site.  I read them daily,  as I was really let down by the falseness of this article, but I have to remember that they know no better.   

When it comes to real info,  tune into the following:

CNBC
Marketwatch
USATODAY
ABCNews
NBCNews
CNNMoney
Barrons
CBSTech
TechCrunch
TheRegister
Yahoo
FOXNews
FOXBUSINESS
CNBC WORLDWIDE
BBC 
BBC INTERNATIONAL
BPR
RUETERS
NY  TIMES
WALL ST JOURNAL 

and many others.   maybe the editor fell asleep on this one,  hope they issue the correction tomorrow.  

post #156 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

Wow CNBC actually wrote a more pro Apple headline than AI did. So Apple BEAT guidance but missed ever inflating rumor and expectations in delivering yoy growth and a record quarter and this is what AI prints? Maybe this has become AndroidInsider after all!!!

Gotta keep those ad-clicks comng 1oyvey.gif

I remember when AI used to actually produce really interesting insider info. Now it's just a hit-whoring regurgitator for other sites if you want proper reporting then go to MaObserver.
post #157 of 177
Quote:

I just ignore Sog. The vast majority of his comments are half baked.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #158 of 177
Quote:

I wonder how long it will take for this to normalize where we no longer see these YOY declines.

Not for some time. The typical use case for a iPad (short documents, web-surfing, email) means that they'll get upgraded less often. TouchID won't help that much in the consumer market because most iPads never leave the house.

The upsurge will come if/when the IBM deal takes hold The iPad will replace the cash till over the next decade or so.

Apple is laying waste to existing markets, which is why it is hungrily searching for new ones.
post #159 of 177
Quote:

If I were to guess then I'd say that more and more people tried the two screen experience and then decided that their phone was enough. More reason for Apple to get a larger screen phone in the market place.

Those that want a large screen tablet are becoming fewer and quite a few consumers are choosing things like the cheaper Kindle Fire which is taking away from sales that are dwindling in the first place.

Interesting.

Given Samsung's poor quarter and the fact that iPhone sales are still growing, I was thinking that perhaps this demand for a large-screen iPhone is not as strong as the press would have us believe. Outside of the geek/fan forums, I wonder if Joe Consumer is happy with the current screen size.
post #160 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Interesting.

Given Samsung's poor quarter and the fact that iPhone sales are still growing, I was thinking that perhaps this demand for a large-screen iPhone is not as strong as the press would have us believe. Outside of the geek/fan forums, I wonder if Joe Consumer is happy with the current screen size.

Why do people constantly discount the importance of iOS.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple falls short of expectations with $7.7B in profit on sales of 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads