or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › As iPad sales decline, Apple remains bullish on future of tablet market

As iPad sales decline, Apple remains bullish on future of tablet market - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

People were saying the same thing about the laptop when it first came out.

Too slow, too weak, too expensive.  I can do much more on a desktop.  It takes time for the tech to catch up.  Wait for a year or two and the iPad will be able to run 90% of the software that laptops can.
good point. Maybe it will be useful in the future. Options are nice.

Its more efficient to have one OS for all of your life. However, I haven't seen anyone make it work. The MSFT version is one piece of hardware with two OSes shoe horned onto it and a kickstand. It makes sense to me as a laptop. As a tablet I never use it. In fact I keep it in a drawer while my iPad is a natural extension of my hand.
Edited by AdonisSMU - 7/23/14 at 7:55am
post #42 of 59

First Quarter of iPad = 3 million units (Apr - Jun 2010)

Next 12 months = 25 million units ( Jul 2010 - Jun 2011) Lighter iPad2 released

Next 12 months = 55 million units ( Jul 2011 - Jun 2012)  Retina iPad3 released

Next 12 months = 71 million units ( Jul 2012 - Jun 2013) iPad4 released, iPad Mini released

Next 12 months = 70 million units ( Jul 2013 - Jun 2014) iPadAir, iPad Retina

The first full year saw 25 million units.

The next year saw grow of 120% with the iPad3 Retina which was a huge jump over iPad1/2.

Grow from year 2 to 3 was 30%.  Most of it was because of iPad Mini and more upgrades from iPad1 and iPad2.

No growth from year 3 to 4.  Why?  The Air did not have enough improvements to convience people to upgrade their iPad3/4.  Once we see a meaningful upgrade we will see growth again.

Again the big growth in units came with a HUGE upgrade from iPad1/2 to iPad3/4. 

Another growth period with a different price point and size with the Mini.

post #43 of 59
I wish they would fix the yellow screen issue on the air. I returned mine so many times the last one is still in the sealed box. Why upgrade to a shit screen?
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post

I wish they would fix the yellow screen issue on the air. I returned mine so many times the last one is still in the sealed box. Why upgrade to a shit screen?

Please buy a Samdung Galaxy Tab 24 and report to us in a week
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Its pretty clear why the sales decline is happening, since more than half of buyers are new to the iPad.   People don't upgrade iPads much - the old ones are fine.

I have an iPad 2, and see no reason to get a newer one.

I have a first gen. Don’t plan to upgrade until the 13/15” is released.

I have a 2. If Apple bring out a new one this year, I’ll get it if I'm still alive, regardless.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #46 of 59
Quote:

IMO they should no longer separate Tablets with Phones. With the rise of the Apple 5.5 phone the lines are blured.

They should just report total iPhones/iPads much like they combined Mac sales (Macbook/iMac)

They should report only total Mac's sold and total iOS devices. No reason to separate iPads. Literally no else reports this data.

That would be totally idiotic.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Maybe a work horse tablet isn't the future. I mean iPad crashes a lot even doing the small stuff let alone under the full weight of a full app. If I want a "work horse" machine, I'll get a mac. An iPad with a keyboard costs the same as an MacBook Air and maybe its even more expensive. Most people don't actually need a work horse machine. For most people work horse means they can type on a keyboard. You can do that now. Sure you can't do photoshop but then you get a more powerful machine for that. I don't think the tablet and the mac/pc should be combined. I like the surface as a laptop but as a tablet it just plain sucks...and yes I own one.

Try and reserve your low standard of trolling for MacRumours; we'd all be much obliged.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #48 of 59
Quote:

I wish they would fix the imaginary yellow screen issue on the air. I returned mine so many times, I realised I made a complete fool of myself. Why choose anything but an iPad?

You said it yourself.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Try and reserve your low standard of trolling for MacRumours; we'd all be much obliged.

Please try and come up with a proper counter argument. Reserve your low level trolling for PCWorld. You can keep your snobbery in the UK. It doesnt make you sound smart outside of your small world. Saying a device and software should work together is not a troll. The proper software for the proper hardware makes for great UX.
Edited by AdonisSMU - 7/24/14 at 6:21pm
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That would be totally idiotic.

Why? They dont seperate the Mac products why would they need to seperate iOS products?

When the 5.5 inch phone comes out it will only be 2 inches smaller than the iPad mini.
post #51 of 59
When the 5.5 inch phone comes out...

So never, then.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #52 of 59
Quote:

I don't understand how you can type with that floppy keyboard.

I don't have one, I use a Microsoft Wedge keyboard and mouse. The Surface 3 is for Ableton Live and FL Studio Groove and for that it works very well for me. Microsoft also makes a plushy keyboard for the Surface;

......but I just wanted this;

......for this.....

Edited by Relic - 7/25/14 at 3:57pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #53 of 59

Looks nice, Relic.

I have a blast with Logic and its iPad app.  Love driving the neighbours crazy!

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #54 of 59
Engadget has a nice short photo article on the "Post-PC Era" and why it never really happened, instead moving to "convergence". Worth a read IMO.
http://www.engadget.com/gallery/the-post-pc-story/
melior diabolus quem scies
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Looks nice, Relic.

I have a blast with Logic and its iPad app.  Love driving the neighbours crazy!

Yeah, I also use an iPad app for Abelton Live called TouchAble, very cool. The only people I bother is my family but my little studio is way down in the basement next to the bomb shelter which is reinforced concrete, I also use sound paneling so it's not so bad.

post #56 of 59
Quote:

Please buy a Samdung Galaxy Tab 24 and report to us in a week

Is that the one that allows multiple apps to run at once in split screen, user profile accounts, lighting themes depending on types of viewing being done, kids setting for simple controls as well as finger print authentication and free newspaper subscriptions?
post #57 of 59
Quote:

Is that the one that allows multiple apps to run at once in split screen, user profile accounts, lighting themes depending on types of viewing being done, kids setting for simple controls as well as finger print authentication and free newspaper subscriptions?

Yes, I believe that is what the commercial stated. But I think what sog35 meant was for you to actually try to USE the device on a regular basis. 

post #58 of 59
Here's a take on why tablet sales are slumping and what's needed to re-ignite sales.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/23/why-are-pcs-up-and-tablets-down/
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Here's a take on why tablet sales are slumping and what's needed to re-ignite sales.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/23/why-are-pcs-up-and-tablets-down/

I completely agree with the assessment of this article. It's time for tablets to become more then what they currently are. I know the Surface isn't the most ideal platform for a lot of you but it's the closest device that I've used so far to what I ultimately want. First and foremost I no longer want to use a mobile browser, in fact outside of a phone I don't ever want to use one, their fine for light surfing but as I am now using more and more web apps instead of their desktop counterparts, I require the extra power a full fledge desktop browser brings. Simply trying to post a comment into a forum using a mobile browser is enough to get my point across. Surfing with my Nokia 2520 or Surface 3 vs. my iPad or any of my Android tablets is like night and day better. I want better multitasking then what is currently available in iOS or Android, though I have to say Android is a little better as their are no restrictions as to what apps can be ran in the background. A filemanger needs to be built in, enough already Apple, even though their a few third party apps they don't feel integrated. I absolutely love that I can put apps side too side in Windows 8, I don't need multi-window but I defiantly need, not want to see at least two apps at once. Basically I want an OSX tablet, I don't care how Apple approaches the problem but when they finially do come up with a solution I will dump most of my current devices for one. Until such time I'll just continue too juggle multiple devices, Surface 3, Nexus 10 and iPad for home, Nokia 2520 and Kindle for on the go.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • As iPad sales decline, Apple remains bullish on future of tablet market
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › As iPad sales decline, Apple remains bullish on future of tablet market