or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Strong iPhone 5c sales gave Apple highest growth in mid-range iPhone market

Strong iPhone 5c sales gave Apple highest growth in mid-range iPhone market - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Suggests sounds right, but suggest is grammatically correct. Better to avoid altogether and rewrite the sentence IMO.

Wrong. "Data suggest" is grammatically incorrect. English is funny that way.

I love the irregularity of the English language.

"The data has been lost."

"The data was backed up to external hard drive."

Singular all the way with data.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #42 of 48

No, it is not incorrect.  Data is an unusual case where it can be either a count noun or a mass noun, because of the way usage of the word has shifted.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/is-data-singular-or-plural

So common use allows for both forms, but within the sciences, and in a stricter world, "data suggest" would be the more correct form.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/data

As I said, "data suggests" sounds better, because of the form of the word, and as such it has become widely used and accepted.  I'd err on the side of caution and just say information or facts instead of data.

censored

censored

post #43 of 48
Quote:

Suggests sounds right, but suggest is grammatically correct. Better to avoid altogether and rewrite the sentence IMO.

There's an article here about which is correct:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/jul/16/data-plural-singular

The conclusion IMO is that a discussion about grammar are a waste of time. This happens with a few terms like myriad, which is synonymous with many. People more often say a myriad of problems (a many of problems) rather than myriad problems (many problems) but it comes down to what sounds right. Language is there to be interpreted and what matters is how it's received, not how it's delivered. If the reception is bad, the delivery needs changing. For example 'could care less' is wrong and the reception of that is bad so the delivery needs to be corrected.

This sort of thing will happen more with online media as it tends to be more colloquial and it's also produced more quickly. I read a national news site's article recently, I think it was about the Irish girls beaten with a baseball bat and it said one of the girls would be combined to a wheelchair. I just happened to scan past it and something didn't seem right, then I realised it was supposed to read confined to a wheelchair. If these sort of things happen with national newspapers, it's going to happen with blogs and people need to be more forgiving. It's fair enough if the errors change the meaning significantly or make it hard to understand what is being said but if the meaning is conveyed adequately, the job is done.
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If you mean the reports that don't exist, then yes.

You probably meant the reports you hadn't read and weren't aware of. A couple of quick examples found in a 30 second search:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2166333-qualcomms-revenue-growth-slows-amid-smartphone-saturation-slow-lte-sales-in-china

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2328619/apples-and-samsungs-growth-stalled-in-q4-due-to-the-saturated-smartphone-market

My personal guess is this is what's prompting not just one but reportedly two entirely new form-factor iPhones over the next few months.
Edited by Gatorguy - 7/26/14 at 7:30am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

There's an article here about which is correct:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/jul/16/data-plural-singular

The conclusion IMO is that a discussion about grammar are a waste of time. This happens with a few terms like myriad, which is synonymous with many. People more often say a myriad of problems (a many of problems) rather than myriad problems (many problems) but it comes down to what sounds right. Language is there to be interpreted and what matters is how it's received, not how it's delivered. If the reception is bad, the delivery needs changing. For example 'could care less' is wrong and the reception of that is bad so the delivery needs to be corrected.

This sort of thing will happen more with online media as it tends to be more colloquial and it's also produced more quickly. I read a national news site's article recently, I think it was about the Irish girls beaten with a baseball bat and it said one of the girls would be combined to a wheelchair. I just happened to scan past it and something didn't seem right, then I realised it was supposed to read confined to a wheelchair. If these sort of things happen with national newspapers, it's going to happen with blogs and people need to be more forgiving. It's fair enough if the errors change the meaning significantly or make it hard to understand what is being said but if the meaning is conveyed adequately, the job is done.

Thanks for agreeing with me. However, I don't think I’ll take my grammar tips from The Graudian, that bastion of spelling.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Thanks for agreeing with me. However, I don't think I’ll take my grammar tips from The Graudian, that bastion of spelling.

Irony.
post #47 of 48

lol.  For those unfamiliar, The Guardian is colloquially known as The Grauniad in the UK for its profligate spelling errors in its early life, but Ben Frost seems to have spelled the spelling error joke wrong.

censored

censored

post #48 of 48
Quote:

lol.  For those unfamiliar, The Guardian is colloquially known as The Grauniad in the UK for its profligate spelling errors in its early life, but Ben Frost seems to have spelled the spelling error joke wrong.

Lol. Thanks for correcting my mis-spelling of the mis-spelling of The Guardian. It's been a while since I read Private Eye.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Strong iPhone 5c sales gave Apple highest growth in mid-range iPhone market
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Strong iPhone 5c sales gave Apple highest growth in mid-range iPhone market