or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Wall Street on Apple's 'uneventful' June quarter: Excited by margins, concerned about guidance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wall Street on Apple's 'uneventful' June quarter: Excited by margins, concerned about guidance - Page 2

post #41 of 105
Sog35: $125 in Christmas quarter. I'll take a wager on that $100 says you are wrong. If you don't take my bet or respond to my post then your comment is wrong and you are a coward not to back up your prediction with money

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Reply

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Reply
post #42 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... but, among large investment houses, AAPL is still not considered a blue chip stock, regardless of market capitalization. Maybe in 5 years... but not yet.


Quote:
Blue chips generally sell high-quality, widely accepted products and services. Blue chip companies are known to weather downturns and operate profitably in the face of adverse economic conditions, which helps to contribute to their long record of stable and reliable growth

Apple it seems is the epitome of 'blue chip'. I would have to wholeheartedly agree with @sog35

Edit: @malax beat me to it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #43 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by imt1 View Post
 

They did? when? 

 

Apple has steadily released a New/Updated iPhone each year. That is always the given. iPads not every year. Mac's either get Hardware upgrades or a refresh, depending on how far along they are in the product cycle. New OS's for both Mac and iOS each year. So whats left ATV? Those hardware updates have been few and far between. If we are talking new product categories those have spans of 5+ years between launches. So...  nothing different then what has occurred in the past. 

 

Not to side with the troll, but...

 

Apple Events...

2008: Jan, Mar, Jun, Sep, Oct

2009: Jan, Mar, Jun, Sep

2010: Jan, Apr, Jun, Sep, Oct

2011: Mar, Jun, Oct

2012: Jan, Mar, Jun, Sep, Oct

2013: Jun, Sep, Oct

2014: Jun

 

Last year was the first year they did not have an event during the first half of the year - this was only the second time that has happened.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #44 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple has only been at the level it's at now for about 10 years... that doesn't sound very blue chip to me.

So what's a suitable time frame? 25, 50 years?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #45 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

I think you are wrong about that. Most investment houses are underweight in AAPL.

 

Try using the DJIA for an example. AAPL aint in there. Those stocks are the gold standard for what is considered blue chip.

 

Apple is actually very new at this, regardless of the age of the company.

 

Um.  It was impossible for Apple to be part of the DIJA because of their stock price over $500.  Most DIJA companies have stock prices below $100 or near it because the DIJA is weighted by stock price not market cap.

 

We will see Apple in the DIJA very soon because of the split.

post #46 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


So what's a suitable time frame? 25, 50 years?

 

You think I make up these rules.

 

Dividends and long term stability make up a blue chip stock. Not a quick rise to the top.

 

I already gave a time frame.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #47 of 105
Lower guidance = troll food. More please.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #48 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

"This means Apple will only benefit from 5 days of iPhone 6 sales vs. 12 in our prior expectation," Munster said.

After guessing incorrectly by a wide margin how iPhones Apple might sell in over the initial Friday, Saturday and Sunday the iPhone 5S/C were available for purchase, Gene actually had the audacity to claim Tim Cook lied about iPhone 5S/C sales and that iPhones were collecting dust on store shelves in back rooms. iPhones collecting dust! Really?


Oh well, at least Gene has been quiet about expecting an Apple television set.  :-)))  

I read (I think it may have been on Fortune) that Gene said his expectations for an Apple television in 2014 were waning.
post #49 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie-bob View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No one told Apple to once again release nothing in the first 9 months of the year and ride the coat tails of last year's products for this year's revenue.



My own outlook on them is dismal. AppleTV and iWatch initiatives are not going to materialize this year, and frankly that's an embarrassment. The old Apple released more quality products in a calendar year.

 



Hmmm — and how much profit did you miss out on with the rise of Apple's stock in the last 9 months? Now THAT's embarassing!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Yup. Typical dumb analyst talk.

Who knew that $37 billion would be "uneventful".

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Apple Profits up 12% for the Quarter.

Google Profits up 5.8% for the Quarter.

Samsung Profits DOWN 25%.

 

So again.  Who's winning?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 

I think your fingers were typing faster than your brain could think.

The old Apple, as you say, pre-iPhone, under SJ, had iPods and Macs.

Today's Apple has far more products. iPods, iPhones, Macs, iPads. 

 

As far as not releasing anything, what would you call this year's WWDC? I call it major breakthrough which will keep Apple at the top for many more years to come. No shiny new toys were announced but still laying the foundations for the future.

 

Have you also given any thought as to why in the past iPhones were released in late summer and iPads in February.

Have you thought of manufacturing capacity?

 

I guess you haven't.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imt1 View Post
 

They did? when? 

 

Apple has steadily released a New/Updated iPhone each year. That is always the given. iPads not every year. Mac's either get Hardware upgrades or a refresh, depending on how far along they are in the product cycle. New OS's for both Mac and iOS each year. So whats left ATV? Those hardware updates have been few and far between. If we are talking new product categories those have spans of 5+ years between launches. So...  nothing different then what has occurred in the past. 

 

As far as Analysis being uneasy about next quarters guidance, why? The next quarter ends Sept 30th and sales are always dependent on when the iPhone is released. Typically, the bulk of sales will occur in the following Qtr (End Dec 31st). That is holiday shopping and when the bulk of these next products are due to be released. I would think that sales are down for iPads this past Quarter for those awaiting a possible hardware refresh and TouchID. Especially those who may have purchased a 5S or are waiting the upgrade to a 6, so that they have usage consistency across all devices. Again, this won't possibly effect sales until 4th qtr.   


The profits they turn on products that are older than the competition's offerings are nothing short of amazing, and speak to the quality of and demand for those products.

 

Analysts be damned, but they are not the only ones that see Apple as ignoring existing parts of their product line, or forging any new ventures into new product lines.

 

The Mac lineup has seen nothing of significance in 2014.

The AppleTV is full of potential, and long overdue for some treatment.

The iWatch doesn't exist, and probably will not in 2014.

 

iPhone and iOS updates are coming as expected, but they are the lifeline of the entire company..if they weren't coming, there would be panic in the streets.

iPad is going strong, but will need some new life breathed into it to drive upgrades. New customer sales of iPad aren't enough to drive growth of the category.

CarPlay isn't much of an initiative worth talking about, as it will probably be replaced by something else before it ever sees widespread usage. (read: Usage not the same as Deployment or Planned Deployment).

OS X seeing a step forward with Yosemite, but the lack of polish on it at this stage of development and the promise of Photos.app not until 2015 makes it look like a second class citizen. Honestly, I'm really bothered and concerned by Photos not coming until 2015. Calls into question a lot about their ability to get things done, and resources they can dedicate to multiple projects.

 

If I missed anything please let me know.

 

If I didn't clarify, I'm not concerned about how much money Apple is making. No one in their right mind would be. What concerns me is whether or not Apple is doing the best it could be doing in all areas of its business.

post #50 of 105
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The Mac lineup has seen nothing of significance in 2014.

 

Yeah, that Mac Pro. Insignificant as all get out!

 
The AppleTV is full of potential, and long overdue for some treatment.

 

Yep.

 
The iWatch doesn't exist, and probably will not in 2014. 

 

Good. How is this bad for Apple?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #51 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

I think you are wrong about that. Most investment houses are underweight in AAPL.

 

Try using the DJIA for an example. AAPL aint in there. Those stocks are the gold standard for what is considered blue chip.

 

Apple is actually very new at this, regardless of the age of the company.

 

You mean companies like, say, Verizon?  They have an avg. daily volume of 14M.  Apple is at 53M.  Verizon's Mkt. Cap is 211B, Apple's is 589B.

 

ETA: Oh, and as of 12:00ET, AAPL is up 2.76% and 1/2 a point short of it's 52-week high.  I swear, some people here need to lay off the crack.

post #52 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

Try using the DJIA for an example. AAPL aint in there. Those stocks are the gold standard for what is considered blue chip.

Being a Dow 30 component is not a requirement to be a blue chip stock.

 

Remember that there are former DJIA companies that are still considered blue chip: GM, Bank of America, HP, Citigroup, amongst others.

 

Also notably missing from the Dow 30 is Berkshire Hathaway.

post #53 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

ETA: Oh, and as of 12:00ET, AAPL is up 2.76% and 1/2 a point short of it's 52-week high.  I swear, some people here need to lay off the crack.

'Uneventful', my ass.

What's up with AI headlines....
post #54 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

Being a Dow 30 component is not a requirement to be a blue chip stock.

 

Remember that there are former DJIA companies that are still considered blue chip: GM, Bank of America, HP, Citigroup, amongst others.

 

Also notably missing from the Dow 30 is Berkshire Hathaway.

 

I'm glad you gave those examples... more companies that have been around for a long long time and have provided dividends for years and years and years.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #55 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 

 

You mean companies like, say, Verizon?  They have an avg. daily volume of 14M.  Apple is at 53M.  Verizon's Mkt. Cap is 211B, Apple's is 589B.

 

ETA: Oh, and as of 12:00ET, AAPL is up 2.76% and 1/2 a point short of it's 52-week high.  I swear, some people here need to lay off the crack.

 

Oh, yes... those are all the requirements for a blue chip stock. Silly me.

 

By the way... I have not once said that AAPL is a bad stock... but anything over $105 is a sell to me.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #56 of 105

Well, stop is almost at an all-time high, $3 up from yesterday, so I guess Wall Street isn't exactly "disappointed". 

 

Apple had a fantastic quarter. The next one will be absolutely ridiculous. 

post #57 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

I'm glad you gave those examples... more companies that have been around for a long long time and have provided dividends for years and years and years.

Yes, you're welcome.

 

Cisco is a fairly recent Dow 30 component; they were founded in 1984, eight years after Apple.

 

AAPL:

2013 revenue: $170.91B

2013 net income: $37.037B

Dividend yield: 2.10%

Market cap: $587.77B

 

CSCO:

2013 revenue: $48.607B

2013 net income: $9.983B

Dividend yield: 3.10%

Market cap: $131.19B

 

:D

post #58 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I always say that any truly knowledgable analyst is going to keep their advice to themselves, or to their employer. I think that's why the ones who speak to the public almost never get it right.

I think a lot of these quotes are out of notes to clients who then pass them on, so not "public" pronouncements as such.

 

?

post #59 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The profits they turn on products that are older than the competition's offerings are nothing short of amazing, and speak to the quality of and demand for those products.

Analysts be damned, but they are not the only ones that see Apple as ignoring existing parts of their product line, or forging any new ventures into new product lines.

The Mac lineup has seen nothing of significance in 2014.
The AppleTV is full of potential, and long overdue for some treatment.
The iWatch doesn't exist, and probably will not in 2014.

iPhone and iOS updates are coming as expected, but they are the lifeline of the entire company..if they weren't coming, there would be panic in the streets.
iPad is going strong, but will need some new life breathed into it to drive upgrades. New customer sales of iPad aren't enough to drive growth of the category.
CarPlay isn't much of an initiative worth talking about, as it will probably be replaced by something else before it ever sees widespread usage. (read: Usage not the same as Deployment or Planned Deployment).
OS X seeing a step forward with Yosemite, but the lack of polish on it at this stage of development and the promise of Photos.app not until 2015 makes it look like a second class citizen. Honestly, I'm really bothered and concerned by Photos not coming until 2015. Calls into question a lot about their ability to get things done, and resources they can dedicate to multiple projects.

If I missed anything please let me know.

If I didn't clarify, I'm not concerned about how much money Apple is making. No one in their right mind would be. What concerns me is whether or not Apple is doing the best it could be doing in all areas of its business.

Just because Apple hasn't announced anything doesn't mean they are ignoring existing products. The iMacs were refreshed <10 months ago. We're only in the 7th month of 2014.
post #60 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

Yes, you're welcome.

 

Cisco is a fairly recent Dow 30 component; they were founded in 1984, eight years after Apple.

 

AAPL:

2013 revenue: $170.91B

2013 net income: $37.037B

Dividend yield: 2.10%

Market cap: $587.77B

 

CSCO:

2013 revenue: $48.607B

2013 net income: $9.983B

Dividend yield: 3.10%

Market cap: $131.19B

 

:D

 

You obviously didn't look at a comparison of AAPL / CSCO since 1990.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #61 of 105
... aaaand the stock is up $2.80 today. That's roughly a 3% jump.
Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #62 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

... aaaand the stock is up $2.80 today. That's roughly a 3% jump.
Just FYI.

Amazing.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #63 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

You obviously didn't look at a comparison of AAPL / VZ since 1990.

Nope, I don't have to.

 

Remember, "blue chip" is not a strictly defined financial term, it's a consensus sentiment.

 

You apparently don't consider Apple to be a blue chip, that's fine. A lot of other people do.

 

In the end, it's the overall investment market who decides. Berkshire Hathaway isn't a Dow 30 component, but the market basically considers it a blue chip.

post #64 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

Nope, I don't have to.

 

Remember, "blue chip" is not a strictly defined financial term, it's a consensus sentiment.

 

You apparently don't consider Apple to be a blue chip, that's fine. A lot of other people do.

 

In the end, it's the overall investment market who decides. Berkshire Hathaway isn't a Dow 30 component, but the market basically considers it a blue chip.

 

I also consider BH a blue chip stock... who wouldn't.

 

Apple still has a ways to go in my mind. A lot of investment houses back me up on that.

 

... but I would say that "soon" AAPL will be looked at as solid blue chip. Soon being within or no later than 5 years.


Edited by island hermit - 7/23/14 at 10:08am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #65 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Sog35: $125 in Christmas quarter. I'll take a wager on that $100 says you are wrong. If you don't take my bet or respond to my post then your comment is wrong and you are a coward not to back up your prediction with money

 

My prediction is backed up by money.

 

$120,000 worth of Apple stock.

post #66 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You think I make up these rules.

Dividends and long term stability make up a blue chip stock. Not a quick rise to the top.

I already gave a time frame.

No I don't think you make up the rules lol.gif. I didn't see until now where you said another 5 years. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #67 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Just because Apple hasn't announced anything doesn't mean they are ignoring existing products. The iMacs were refreshed <10 months ago. We're only in the 7th month of 2014.

 

I agree... first of all you have to consider the overall market and the state of desktop PCs. What else could they possibly bring to the PC that hasn't been around for a couple of years now? Sure, upgrading to new data buses, updating wireless communications, etc... but the overall functionality and utility of a PC hasn't changed in many years. My almost 5 year old iMac, still runs great! So do all other Macs from the past 7 years. In fact, Apple's latest Mac releases have been less powerful versions, because all the power in current PCs just isn't needed by most users. The PC market isn't moving like the mobile market and probably won't ever again. The need for releasing new models as often doesn't make sense. The fact that Apple is still able to garner so much attention from releasing a new PC (Mac Pro) is astounding! What other company gets their PCs mentioned in non-tech media?

 

The delay (decay) of the iPod line and the AppleTV hardware could simply be that Apple is preparing to completely revamp both. The iPod line will be moved from being a "media player" and reimagined mainly for the fitness and entertainment markets and the AppleTV will see a complete overhaul, morphing into a complete entertainment device including games, possible Continuity features and remade as a central hub for Apple's HomeKit plans.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #68 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

I also consider BH a blue chip stock... who wouldn't.

 

Apple still has a ways to go in my mind. A lot of investment houses back me up on that.

 

... but I would say that "soon" AAPL will be looked at as solid blue chip. Soon being within or no later than 5 years.

 

You are truly hopeless.

 

Who are these investment houses you are talking about?

 

Apple was the most held stock for Large Mutual funds and hedge funds.......as far back as 2012

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/09/19/apple-is-most-held-stock-among-large-mutual-funds-hedge-funds-too/

 

Most widely held stock in 401k mutal funds in 2013

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101171731

 

In 2013 Apple was the 2nd most widely held stock in Mutal funds

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101141146

 

Just admit you were wrong and move on.  Seriously.  Your market cap does not reach $580,000,000,000 without being widely held by institutions.

post #69 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

You are truly hopeless.

 

Who are these investment houses you are talking about?

 

Apple was the most held stock for Large Mutual funds and hedge funds.......as far back as 2012

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/09/19/apple-is-most-held-stock-among-large-mutual-funds-hedge-funds-too/

 

Most widely held stock in 401k mutal funds in 2013

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101171731

 

In 2013 Apple was the 2nd most widely held stock in Mutal funds

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101141146

 

Just admit you were wrong and move on.  Seriously.  Your market cap does not reach $580,000,000,000 without being widely held by institutions.

 

Okay, you're right about that. I had read otherwise not that long ago and I didn't bother checking, instead going by memory.

 

... but... I'll have to remind you that Google is actually above Apple on some of the lists. I guess they'll be going blue chip soon as well. They're just another stock split away...


Edited by island hermit - 7/23/14 at 10:45am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #70 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

 

I agree... first of all you have to consider the overall market and the state of desktop PCs. What else could they possibly bring to the PC that hasn't been around for a couple of years now? Sure, upgrading to new data buses, updating wireless communications, etc... but the overall functionality and utility of a PC hasn't changed in many years. My almost 5 year old iMac, still runs great! So do all other Macs from the past 7 years. In fact, Apple's latest Mac releases have been less powerful versions, because all the power in current PCs just isn't needed by most users. The PC market isn't moving like the mobile market and probably won't ever again. The need for releasing new models as often doesn't make sense. The fact that Apple is still able to garner so much attention from releasing a new PC (Mac Pro) is astounding! What other company gets their PCs mentioned in non-tech media?

 

The delay (decay) of the iPod line and the AppleTV hardware could simply be that Apple is preparing to completely revamp both. The iPod line will be moved from being a "media player" and reimagined mainly for the fitness and entertainment markets and the AppleTV will see a complete overhaul, morphing into a complete entertainment device including games, possible Continuity features and remade as a central hub for Apple's HomeKit plans.

 

While I agree you about computers having reached a power threshold that is beyond that of a normal user (I mean, seriously, how many users really need an i7?  My i5 iMac plays Tomb Raider perfectly, though I guess that has more to do with the GPU than anything ...) but I would have to say that the inclusion of Fusion Drives has been a huge upgrade to the line.

post #71 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You are truly hopeless.

Who are these investment houses you are talking about?

Apple was the most held stock for Large Mutual funds and hedge funds.......as far back as 2012
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/09/19/apple-is-most-held-stock-among-large-mutual-funds-hedge-funds-too/

Most widely held stock in 401k mutal funds in 2013
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101171731

In 2013 Apple was the 2nd most widely held stock in Mutal funds
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101141146

Just admit you were wrong and move on.  Seriously.  Your market cap does not reach $580,000,000,000 without being widely held by institutions.

Being held by large mutual funds doesn't make a stock blue chip. Blue chip stock are viewed as a safe investment because many of those companies grow but it's a slow growth. I think Apple still falls under a medium risk (so there's going to be a lot of buying and selling instead of buying and holding), especially since the market they make products for is finicky. Investors see what happened to BB, Palm, and Nokia, and they're not entirely convinced that the same can't happen to Apple.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #72 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Being held by large mutual funds doesn't make a stock blue chip. Blue chip stock are viewed as a safe investment because many of those companies grow but it's a slow growth. I think Apple still falls under a medium risk (so there's going to be a lot of buying and selling instead of buying and holding), especially since the market they make products for is finicky. Investors see what happened to BB, Palm, and Nokia, and they're not entirely convinced that the same can't happen to Apple.

 

I think Sog was just pointing out that I was wrong about Apple not being held by investment houses... but he might have also been using that as an argument for Apple's blue chip status, I'm not sure. I agree with the former... but not the latter... or at least that there's not a correlation between the two.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #73 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

Okay, you're right about that. I had read otherwise not that long ago and I didn't bother checking, instead going by memory.

 

... but... I'll have to remind you that Google is actually above Apple on some of the lists. I guess they'll be going blue chip soon as well. They're just another stock split away...

 

I think you may have read Apple is under weight by mutal funds and hedge funds compared to their market cap.  That is true.

 

That is good news.  That means funds can buy more Apple stock without being over-weight in the stock

post #74 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 

 

While I agree you about computers having reached a power threshold that is beyond that of a normal user (I mean, seriously, how many users really need an i7?  My i5 iMac plays Tomb Raider perfectly, though I guess that has more to do with the GPU than anything ...) but I would have to say that the inclusion of Fusion Drives has been a huge upgrade to the line.

 

I agree, however, I can create a Fusion Drive in my iMac. A Fusion Drive is basically software controlling the contents of two disparate hard drives. There have been people that have created a Fusion Drive out of an internal HD and en external SSD (not that it's very practical).

 

My poor DVD drive is basically dead - way too much r!pping. So I could replace it with an SSD and create a Fusion Drive. There are even kits for doing that.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #75 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Being held by large mutual funds doesn't make a stock blue chip. Blue chip stock are viewed as a safe investment because many of those companies grow but it's a slow growth. I think Apple still falls under a medium risk (so there's going to be a lot of buying and selling instead of buying and holding), especially since the market they make products for is finicky. Investors see what happened to BB, Palm, and Nokia, and they're not entirely convinced that the same can't happen to Apple.

 

BB, Palm, Nokia even at their absolute peak is not even close to what Apple is. 

 

Even at BB absolute peak their market cap was a mere $70B. 

Nokia's peak was about $60B.

Palm peak was $55B.

 

Add those 3 companies together at their ABSOLUTE PEAK and multiple that by THREE and you still would be short of Apples $580B market cap.  None of those companies had an ecosystem even close to Apple or the branding power.  They are totally different animals.  Its like comparing McDonalds with Dirk's Burger Palace.

post #76 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

 

Not to side with the troll, but...

 

Apple Events...

2008: Jan, Mar, Jun, Sep, Oct

2009: Jan, Mar, Jun, Sep

2010: Jan, Apr, Jun, Sep, Oct

2011: Mar, Jun, Oct

2012: Jan, Mar, Jun, Sep, Oct

2013: Jun, Sep, Oct

2014: Jun

 

Last year was the first year they did not have an event during the first half of the year - this was only the second time that has happened.

 

 

2008:    Jan (Macbook Air at Macworld),  Mar (iPhone Roadmap, App Store Intro, Notebooks (Unibody Intro),  June (WWDC - iPhone 3G and App Store Live), Sept (iTunes &iPod - Itouch intro), Oct (New Unibody Macbooks)

 

2009:     Jan (1st 1Pad), Mar (iOS 3.0 Intro), June (WWDC- iPhone 3gs), Sept (iPod & iTunes)

 

2010:     April (Early iOS4 intro)  Jun (WWDC - iPhone 4),  Sept  (iPod & iTunes),   Oct (Back to Mac event - Lion Preview, redesigned macbook air)

 

2011:     Mar (preview of iOS5 and iCloud),  June (WWDC), Oct (iPhone 4s)

 

2012:     Jan (iBooks 2.0), March (iPad 3), June (WWDC, Macbook Pro Retina),  Sept (iPhone 5), Oct (iPad Mini, 4th Gen iPad, 13: Macbook w/Retina)

 

2013:     June (WWDC), Sept (iPhone 5s & 5c), Oct (iPad updates - Retina)

 

2014:  June (WWDC) 

 

 

But when you go and loom at what those events consisted of they were primarily advance previews of iOS. In 2008 it was the intro of the app Store and thus needed to be put out these or no one would come to WWDC :).  2011 was really the only year with a hardware update, sans 2008 which was a Macworld unveiling of the original Macbook Air.  Typically all hardware had been moved to the second half of the cal year. This is also prime buying season w/ holiday shopping for year end. 

post #77 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

BB, Palm, Nokia even at their absolute peak is not even close to what Apple is. 

Even at BB absolute peak their market cap was a mere $70B. 
Nokia's peak was about $60B.
Palm peak was $55B.

Add those 3 companies together at their ABSOLUTE PEAK and multiple that by THREE and you still would be short of Apples $580B market cap.  None of those companies had an ecosystem even close to Apple or the branding power.  They are totally different animals.  Its like comparing McDonalds with Dirk's Burger Palace.

Having a higher market cap scares investors. Many of them believe that the only way from that high up is down. They don't take Apple's intangibles into consideration. They've seen companies come and go, and heavyweights getting knocked out. In their eyes Apple is no different.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #78 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

Well, stop is almost at an all-time high, $3 up from yesterday, so I guess Wall Street isn't exactly "disappointed". 

 

Apple had a fantastic quarter. The next one will be absolutely ridiculous. 

 

Actually adjusted for dividends it surpassed its all time high close of $702.

 

96.28 is the all time high close adjusted for dividends paid.

post #79 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Having a higher market cap scares investors. Many of them believe that the only way from that high up is down. They don't take Apple's intangibles into consideration. They've seen companies come and go, and heavyweights getting knocked out. In their eyes Apple is no different.


 LOL.

 

Like I showed those 'heavyweights' are literally 10x smaller than Apple.

post #80 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

 

Analysts be damned, but they are not the only ones that see Apple as ignoring existing parts of their product line, or forging any new ventures into new product lines.

 

The Mac lineup has seen nothing of significance in 2014.

The AppleTV is full of potential, and long overdue for some treatment.

The iWatch doesn't exist, and probably will not in 2014.

 

iPhone and iOS updates are coming as expected, but they are the lifeline of the entire company..if they weren't coming, there would be panic in the streets.

iPad is going strong, but will need some new life breathed into it to drive upgrades. New customer sales of iPad aren't enough to drive growth of the category.

CarPlay isn't much of an initiative worth talking about, as it will probably be replaced by something else before it ever sees widespread usage. (read: Usage not the same as Deployment or Planned Deployment).

OS X seeing a step forward with Yosemite, but the lack of polish on it at this stage of development and the promise of Photos.app not until 2015 makes it look like a second class citizen. Honestly, I'm really bothered and concerned by Photos not coming until 2015. Calls into question a lot about their ability to get things done, and resources they can dedicate to multiple projects.

 

If I missed anything please let me know.

 

If I didn't clarify, I'm not concerned about how much money Apple is making. No one in their right mind would be. What concerns me is whether or not Apple is doing the best it could be doing in all areas of its business.

 

Remember its July. 2014 isn't over and if you look at previous product launches/announcements, the hardware primarily is released in this second half of the year in the Sept-Oct time frame.

 

iPad's new life will come in two fronts. IBM partnership will likely be the largest since this will help propel the iPad into larger adoption in the corp environment, Second will be hardware enhancements to the iPad, including TouchID. This will give many, myself included, a reason to update. TouchID will be very handy for quick access to unlocking and using a device as well as a developers ability to utilize the TouchID API. This too will help corporate adoption. 

 

I wouldn't call Carplay out. It is just starting to roll out in cars. If I was getting a new car, I would want this installed vs. the USB dongle. Again this is a vertical integration initiative to retain customers and provide the ability to use iOS in more and more places. 

 

Why is Photos in 2015 a large deal?  Do you not have iPhoto or the use of Aperture now or when Yosemite is released? To me the key is getting the two OS's not just polished but working as advertised. Photo's is a big undertaking and Apple doesn't completely re-write their core apps often. But, the release may set the stage for providing additional hardware or software announcements if done as a Press Invite type event.   

 

I believe with the latest OS releases, Apple has set the stage/foundation for a harmonious working product line and ecosystem.  Unmatched by any competitor. I think we will see hardware and software releases that will work seamlessly with this vision.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Wall Street on Apple's 'uneventful' June quarter: Excited by margins, concerned about guidance