or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple R&D spending spiked $425M last quarter, reaching record $1.6B

Apple R&D spending spiked $425M last quarter, reaching record $1.6B

post #1 of 51
Apple continues to invest heavily in research in development, with a 36 percent year-over-year increase seen last quarter, helping the company reach $4.36 billion in total R&D costs so far this fiscal year as new products in new categories are hotly anticipated.

Apple HQ

Apple spent $1.6 billion on R&D in the just-concluded June quarter, the company's 8-K for filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday reveals. That's up $425 million from the $1.18 billion the company spent on researching new products in the same three-month span of 2013.

So far, Apple has spent $4.36 billion on R&D over the first 9 months of Apple's fiscal year 2014. That's an increase of 32 percent over the same nine-month span of fiscal 2013.

The new data shows that Apple's investment in R&D has actually been accelerating, growing faster in the June quarter than in previous quarters.

The spending comes as Apple is believed to be gearing up to enter entirely new product categories, and also to bring about major revisions to existing products. Most notably, a complete redesign of the iPhone lineup is expected to come this fall, while the company is heavily rumored to introduce an all-new "iWatch."

R&D investments made in the June quarter may not necessarily be indicative of products set for imminent release, but are a clear signal that the company is planning to continue innovating in existing and new markets stretching into the future.

AppleInsider was first to report in April that Apple had increased its R&D spending by $303 million in the March 2014 quarter. Costs for that three-month period reached $1.42 million, or about $280 million less than the June quarter.

In April, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook cited escalating R&D investments as a key reason why his company needs to have ample cash on hand. As of the conclusion of the June quarter, Apple held $164.5 billion in cash, with $133.7 billion of that offshore.

"We'll continue to innovate by investing in research and development and capitalizing on our strengths in hardware, software and services," Cook said in April.
post #2 of 51

Good! We will all be seeing the results of these efforts soon enough.

The best product lineup in 25 years!

This fall's product announcements are going to be some of the most highly anticipated ever! We should be seeing the new iPhone in about two months time! Bring it on!

iPhone 6 4.7"

iPhone 6 5.5"

iPad Air 2 9.7"

iPad Mini Retina 2 7.9"

Apple TV fourth gen

Mac Mini

iWatch

iOS 8

Yosemite

etc. etc. etc.

post #3 of 51
Thats good spending, cant wait to see the results.
post #4 of 51

What the hell are they building!!!! I want it!!!!

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

post #5 of 51

Perhaps a little off topic, but I remember Stevo saying something to the effect of Apple redoubling R&D when the economy got bad instead of laying people off. Apple has spent so much money hiring and training its people and when the economy does rebound Apple is positioned to take full advantage.

I wish more companies thought this way. In Germany (I think I have this right) BMW for instance, can't just layoff 1,000 workers willy-nilly. They have to go to half-time, then 1/4 time and then retraining for different positions. I think this is a far better approach than just laying off people and letting the government pickup the tab, food-stamps, unemployment, etc. It often times is just poor management. 

It hurts families, communities and other businesses when unemployed people stop buying stuff! :)

Best

post #6 of 51
Sapphire and Liquidmetal research can't be cheap.
Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.
Too many Apple products to list...Long on AAPL, so take what I say with a bucket of salt.
post #7 of 51
Was just reading this morning that NASA has budgeted 1.2 Billion to capture an asteroid, pull it into earths orbit and study it. And Apple spent 4 billion on RD just this fiscal year to date.

WOW!
post #8 of 51
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post
Was just reading this morning that NASA has budgeted 1.2 Billion to capture an asteroid, pull it into earths orbit and study it. And Apple spent 4 billion on RD just this fiscal year to date.

WOW!

It’s disgusting how little we spend on space.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple to announce the iShuttle.
post #10 of 51
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I’d prefer a partnership with SpaceX. Flying a plane to space was always a silly idea.

post #11 of 51

Of course R&D is going to increase...

PimeSense - 3D imaging, mapping, recognition

Passif - Bluetooth semiconductors

Authentec - fingerprint/biometric scanner

Luxvue - LED displays

Anobit - Flash memory

Beats - Audio design

LiquidMetal - Material manufacturing

GT Advanced - Sapphire manufacturing

Health related hires - biometric sensors

GPU related hires - graphics processors

Radio related hires - antenna design, mobile baseband design

Not to mention engineering teams for battery chemistry, CPU design, industrial design, etc...

I don't care what people say about Tim Cook... He's got some huge plans for Apple.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #12 of 51

Here's another comparison. The Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai cost approx. 1.5 Billion. Apples R&D this year so far is 4 billion. Campus 2 to cost

an estimated 5 billion. I'm not anti-apple spending by any means, just an interesting comparison as to what they're up to.

again WOW!

File source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Burj_Khalifa.jpg

post #13 of 51
Quote:

There's a vacumn of funds available for this area, you reckon?
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
post #14 of 51
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
There's a vacumn of funds available for this area, you reckon?

I recon funds are being vacuumed away from space out of fear.

post #15 of 51

Welcome news.  Apple's relative spending on R&D vs marketing, supply chain management, etc. has long been a bit of a sore point in my view of how they do business.

Not that they do too much of the latter two (nor that they haven't been spectacularly successful as a result), rather that IMO they and we could have benefited even more from more of the former - and with this relatively low R&D being a trend dating back decades. 

The company (think it may have been Jobs) has responded to this in the past by pointing out the %age of revenues spent on R&D is not a good measure of useful innovation if company B is spending a higher % but in a wasteful, unfocused way.

To which I still reply, then when you spend more, Apple, ALSO spend more in an efficient, focused way.

Meanwhile, from my perch in the cheap seats, I'm still calling out for pedal to the R&D metal, where new magical products will be born....

Edited by bigpics - 7/23/14 at 12:21pm

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

When Apple announces iSearch Google will release their first iProduct:

iShitMyself.
post #17 of 51
Quote:

NASA has other, more important priorities.

Do you remember what Obama directed them to do a few years ago? Absolutely disgusting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7875584/Barack-Obama-Nasa-must-try-to-make-Muslims-feel-good.html

post #18 of 51
Quote:

I recon funds are being vacuumed away from space out of fear.

Seriously, I don't think you realise the gravity of the situation. The costs can be astronomical.
post #19 of 51
Quote:

When Apple announces iSearch Google will release their first iProduct:

iShitMyself.

I can't stop laughing made my morning
I think apple could do this no prob and be better than bing anyday
Start eroding googles base squeeze them y buying blekko or duckduckgo
And make them squirm
And don't think Tim cook and team haven't put a target on that
I'd prefer apple because google now has become data nvasive

1smile.gif
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Welcom news.  Apple's relative spending on R&D vs marketing, supply chain management, etc. has long been a bit of a sore point in my view of how they do business.

Not that they do too much of the latter two (nor that they haven't been spectacularly successful as a result), rather that IMO they and we could have benefited even more from more of the former - and with this relatively low R&D being a trend dating back decades. 

The company (think it may have been Jobs) has responded to this in the past by pointing out the %age of revenues spent on R&D is not a good measure of useful innovation if company B is spending a higher % but in a wasteful, unfocused way.

To which I still reply, then when you spend more, Apple, ALSO spend more in an efficient, focused way.

Meanwhile, from my perch in the cheap seats, I'm still calling out for pedal to the R&D metal, where new magical products will be born....

I agree but you have to remember Apple wasn't in a position to "waste" money on R&D when, first, they were falling off a cliff, and then, second, during Steve Job's restructuring/rebuilding. It wasn't until the success of the iMac and iPod (due to heavy advertising and taking control of the supply chain) that Apple had enough room to comfortably start spending more and more on R&D. And it worked out in their favor, during the economic downturn, they were able to hire more and more engineers. Then, after the success of the iPhone, they were in a position where they could start planning to take control of their future, by acquiring companies and IP.

I think Steve's real brilliance was his ability to lay out in succession all the things that needed to occur to move to the next level of whatever vision he had for the future of the company. And it played out flawlessly.

And I think Tim Cook is extremely competent and methodical and is pushing Steve's vision further, possibly further than Steve himself would have.

post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Welcom news.  Apple's relative spending on R&D vs marketing, supply chain management, etc. has long been a bit of a sore point in my view of how they do business.

I remember when I went to work for Big Big Pharma, and the mantra for Big P Project Management (like drug projects), was "The entire purpose for project management is to eliminate all reasons to say 'YES' to this compound as a profitable drug as quickly as possible.  That allows us to kill them early and focus those R&D monies on those proven to improve medicine."  In essence, the goal of management is to maximize profits by minimizing R&D on 'proven losers,' and instead, figure out ways to make proven winners more profitable, by faster time to market, lower cost to manufacture, complete market awareness, longer lifespan, and greater breadth of use, 

Later, hearing Steve Jobs say:

Quote:

“People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I’m actually as proud of the things we haven’t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying ‘no’ to 1,000 things.”

—Steve Jobs on product development, from "Steve Jobs: Get Rid of the Crappy Stuff" in Forbes.

Catches the crux of Apple:   Say yes to the critical few, and say no early.  Do focused R&D on the things you say Yes to.  Avoid doing R&D on things that don't make sense.  Then spend on ruthless efficiency of delivery to the the market. 

So I disagree.  Don't become a Xerox PARC.  Don't become an IBM.   Let the millions of smart people do unfocused R&D, then either buy them out early, or 'buy-in' (like LiquidMetal* and Authentec) for exclusivity and or refining the process to fit the goals (reducing the cost of sapphire production), Where you have a problem to be solved, and theirs is the solution to use.

*LiquidMetal is still a semi questionable acquisition... Haven't seen big wins from this.

post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

... I think Steve's real brilliance was his ability to lay out in succession all the things that needed to occur to move to the next level of whatever vision he had for the future of the company. And it played out flawlessly.

And I think Tim Cook is extremely competent and methodical and is pushing Steve's vision further, possibly further than Steve himself would have.

That's exactly what I think.  I'd add that Steve was an expert in picking milestones between what Apple could ship now and what he wanted Apple to ship in the future.  And in working with Jony Ive to make those milestones interesting and successful products.  For example, the iMac's progression from CRT blob to all-in-one with LCD screen.  I wouldn't be surprised if Steve and Jony decided that the ultimate goal would be a fully recyclable 5mm thick iMac, essentially just a screen, with wireless mouse and keyboard (and not just 5mm at the very edges).  Might have been possible in 2001, but it would have cost $50K.

So what's the first practical step toward the ultimate iMac goal?  Flat panel with an arm.  Next step?  All-in-one construction with plastic shell.  Next step?  Thinner all-in-one construction with aluminum shell.  Next step?  Thinner with no aluminum border around the screen bezel.  And so it goes until the final goal is possible.  Each generation makes the old one look terribly dated.  Each generation is desirable and incorporates technological and design advances far beyond the previous.  And I think that step-by-step development toward a pre-determined ultimate goal can be applied to iPad, iPhone, Apple TT, Beats, and all future Apple products.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #23 of 51
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
NASA has other, more important priorities.

I’m quite bothered that our space program would do anything whatsoever but engender interest in space and work to expand human presence there. We have other agencies to manage Earth-based crap.

Seriously, I don't think you realise the gravity of the situation. The costs can be astronomical.

All right, now I have to work ‘apoapsis’ into a joke somehow.

post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

*LiquidMetal is still a semi questionable acquisition... Haven't seen big wins from this.

There have been signs of this deal coming to fruition; Apple renewing cross-licensing deal for another year, LiquidMetal manufacturing no longer being exclusive to a single company, and the many patents released by Apple in the manufacturing of the material.

This says two things to me...

1. Apple is still very much interested in LiquidMetal

2. Now they are free to contract out manufacturing to a company or companies of their choosing.

LiquidMetal wasn't an acquisition, it is an exclusive licensing of the material by Apple in exchange for cross-licensing of all manufacturing methods and processes Apple patents.

post #25 of 51
Quote:

I’m quite bothered that our space program would do anything whatsoever but engender interest in space and work to expand human presence there. We have other agencies to manage Earth-based crap.

Agreed.

post #26 of 51
Rather than studying that asteroid they should catch it in earth's orbit and mine it for resources.

There will unfortunately not be any significant spending on space until we have an enemy/war there.
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Thats good spending, cant wait to see the results.

What results?  Wall Street still believes Apple is doomed due to companies like Xiaomi who have increased  the quality of their smartphones so much as to put great pressure on iPhone sales.  Analysts believe R&D is worth very little and Apple doesn't have enough money to build increasingly better products than their less wealthy rivals.  Wall Street obviously doesn't think that high R&D spending can bring back "innovation" to Apple because "Apple innovation" was supposedly based on Steve Jobs' magic.

Although I'm sure there is no precise ratio of R&D spending to high-selling successful products I think a company that does spend more on R&D has a better chance of holding a lead over rivals.  Don't hold me to that conclusion.  It's more of a hope than anything else.  I'm sure there must be plenty of companies who have spent far more over the years for R&D than Apple and have never come close to having Apple's wealth and success.

post #28 of 51
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post
Rather than studying that asteroid they should catch it in earth's orbit and mine it for resources.

That’s the idea. They’re going to put it in orbit around the Moon and then send guys up there to measure composition and get a feel for what’s where in them so that we know where to shoot our mining equipment in the 2020s.

If you missed the good part of that, I’ll pull it out: WE’RE SENDING PEOPLE TO THE MOON TO NOT LAND ON IT. Waste of resources. But man, that view.

Anyway, people on Mars by 2025 is the only acceptable goal.

post #29 of 51

Meanwhile, Microsoft just laid off 20,000 employees.  If you haven't yet read the layoff memo from Elop it is one of the most Epic of all time!  It is like something from right out of the movie "Office Space".  Make a note of how many times the word phone is mentioned in the memo!  It shows how powerful Apple, and the iPhone, is to put Microsoft in such a precarious position!  I am not sure why Microsoft bought Nokia, Elop has a hard time explaining it!  See for yourself!

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/microsoft-lays-off-thousands-with-bad-memo.html

post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Sapphire and Liquidmetal research can't be cheap.

Who knows, they may have already moved on to investments in molecular assemblers or algae-based fuel cell systems. :D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

Meanwhile, Microsoft just laid off 20,000 employees.  If you haven't yet read the layoff memo from Elop it is one of the most Epic of all time!  It is like something from right out of the movie "Office Space".  Make a note of how many times the word phone is mentioned in the memo!  It shows how powerful Apple, and the iPhone, is to put Microsoft in such a precarious position!  I am not sure why Microsoft bought Nokia, Elop has a hard time explaining it!  See for yourself!

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/microsoft-lays-off-thousands-with-bad-memo.html

Microsoft will lay off a whole lot more since they are abandoning the hardware and manufacturing initiatives that Ballmer pushed.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #32 of 51

Apple's R&D spending as a % of total revenue is still lower than other companies. It just shows you how efficiently Apple spends their money.

post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Microsoft will lay off a whole lot more since they are abandoning the hardware and manufacturing initiatives that Ballmer pushed.
I don't see Microsoft exiting Surface until they see what Apple's next move is with iPad.
post #34 of 51
Quote:

I’d prefer a partnership with SpaceX. Flying a plane to space was always a silly idea.

Well, it was a cargo plane for space station parts, a satellite launcher, with a crew capacity for fixing stuff like the Station and the Hubble. They worked the platform, in other words.

It's true the boosters needed were a problem in the case of both disasters. Were the trade-offs worth it? I'd say ask the veteran crew members. We simple observers don't have much to form an opinion on.

Do you have a link handy on that moon-orbit asteroid plan?
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't see Microsoft exiting Surface until they see what Apple's next move is with iPad.

Probably correct, but how long will MS continue to throw money at Surface with no near-term or any-term prospects for profits? Just guessing, but I think they'll abandon Surface in about a year.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 51
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Well, it was a cargo plane for space station parts, a satellite launcher, with a crew capacity for fixing stuff like the Station and the Hubble. They worked the platform, in other words.

Still, a proper rocket can do that better. Space X’s plan for the Mars Crew Transporter in the late 2020s is up to 100 people at a time. AND THEY’LL DO IT. BECAUSE MUSK IS DELICIOUSLY INSANE. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Seriously, Apple needs to get in bed with him as soon as possible. First by writing custom software for the Tesla vehicle lineup and then by backing a source of income that will make the company trillionaires. With all the money anyone could ever need or want on hand, making computers becomes even less a job and more ‘because you love it’. That would improve HCI, I think.

Do you have a link handy on that moon-orbit asteroid plan? 

Sure do.

I particularly like this sentence.

By testing the capabilities needed for a crewed mission to the Red Planet in the 2030s NASA’s Asteroid Redirect Mission will greatly advance NASA’s human path to Mars.

It means absolutely nothing whatsoever. NASA couldn’t care less about going to Mars, and they couldn’t care less about testing to see what we need to get there. Never mind that this mission won’t do diddly in that regard, anyway!

Edited by Tallest Skil - 7/23/14 at 1:29pm

post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Probably correct, but how long will MS continue to throw money at Surface with no near-term or any-term prospects for profits? Just guessing, but I think they'll abandon Surface in about a year.
Hopefully Apple will force that to happen sooner rather than later.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Here's another comparison. The Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai cost approx. 1.5 Billion. Apples R&D this year so far is 4 billion. Campus 2 to cost
an estimated 5 billion. I'm not anti-apple spending by any means, just an interesting comparison as to what they're up to.

again WOW!

File source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Burj_Khalifa.jpg

It also depends on labor cost. 1.5 billion in construction buys more man-hours than in high tech r&d. Especially if you build a skyscraper underpaying Bangladesh workers and only a few top engineers and architects are paid what the apple engineer is probably paid. 150 workers on the khalifa earn what the average engineer in Cupertino does...
post #39 of 51
Only remember: talent, not money, creates innovation. And focus. Focus is paramount
post #40 of 51
Quote:

Thanks for the link 

Quote:

I remember when I went to work for Big Big Pharma, and the mantra for Big P Project Management (like drug projects), was "The entire purpose for project management is to eliminate all reasons to say 'YES' to this compound as a profitable drug as quickly as possible.  That allows us to kill them early and focus those R&D monies on those proven to improve medicine."  In essence, the goal of management is to maximize profits by minimizing R&D on 'proven losers,' and instead, figure out ways to make proven winners more profitable, by faster time to market, lower cost to manufacture, complete market awareness, longer lifespan, and greater breadth of use, 

Later, hearing Steve Jobs say:

Catches the crux of Apple:   Say yes to the critical few, and say no early.  Do focused R&D on the things you say Yes to.  Avoid doing R&D on things that don't make sense.  Then spend on ruthless efficiency of delivery to the the market. 

So I disagree.  Don't become a Xerox PARC.  Don't become an IBM.   Let the millions of smart people do unfocused R&D, then either buy them out early, or 'buy-in' (like LiquidMetal* and Authentec) for exclusivity and or refining the process to fit the goals (reducing the cost of sapphire production), Where you have a problem to be solved, and theirs is the solution to use.

Thanks for the link, Geoff! :)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple R&D spending spiked $425M last quarter, reaching record $1.6B