or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple reportedly working with Swatch, other watchmakers to roll out multiple 'iWatch' devices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reportedly working with Swatch, other watchmakers to roll out multiple 'iWatch' devices - Page 2

post #41 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

If Apple wants to not look naff these companies know what to do.

But how would a hybrid model work?

You wind it up then talk to it of course. 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You wind it up then talk to it of course. 1biggrin.gif
And when it talks back to you it winds up all your friends. Pretty impressive for a watch.
post #43 of 89
This news fits well with what I've been posting on this subject:

In the fullness of time, all of the traditional watch makers are vulnerable.  The utility of a watch as a timepiece has already been wholly disrupted by technology.  Gone are the days when people check the time 100 times a day; smartphones with reminders and appointment calendars inform us of our time-based commitments, and these devices are looked at for a variety of purposes throughout the day, with the time ever present on screen.  Smart watches will first supplant ordinary watches as a more functional fashion accessory.  And with smart watch functionality soon becoming expected, luxury smart watches will come on the scene where they will displace those luxury watches whose functionality extends only to telling the time and a few other time-based functions.  A technology ecosystem will be a critical part of the picture, and this is something none of the existing luxury watchmakers can bring to the market in any meaningful way compared with the technology giants currently moving into this space.  Within 10 years, the notion of a luxury watch will be synonymous with luxury smart watch and the Rolexes of the world will be on the path to extinction.

Advice to the luxury watch makers:  partner with tech giants, if they'll even have you.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Sounds like Hayek knows as much about wearable tech as Apple knows about watches.

 

It's called "learning." And when you have billions of #cashmoneymoneyhoney to spend on said "learning" then you will eventually, and quickly, know a little something about said product.

post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Swatch? That is sooooo 1986. What's next, they'll create a Pro version, designed by Keith Haring? Hey, if Michael Jackson can still release a new album...

Swatch basically saved the Swiss watch industry from an onslaught of cheap quartz and digital watches from Japan.

They also make off the shelf movements that power a lot of "Swiss Made" watches under the ETA brand.

In house vs off the shelf movements opens a whole can of worms among watch enthusiasts.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #46 of 89
Hmmm now this rumor is making me think that Apple isn't making anything at all in terms of a physical object. But rather has created tech that will help other companies to make MFi smart watches. And perhaps Timex and Swatch are the first couple of companies that are joining in and will be the ones demo'd at the big iOS event in the Fall when the iPhone and iPad (and hopefully a new Apple TV) are introduced.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 
This I agree I could see Apple going this route. Let watch makers make the watch, with a few specifications from Apple, and Apple supplies the watch crystal and "computer" parts. The watch crystal could be a transparent sapphire microLED display.
- Apple acquired Luxvue, a company that was developing low-power microLED displays, that they claimed were, "a break through in displays." These displays are reportedly brighter while using less power.
- Apple acquired, Passif Semiconductors, designers of an extremely low-power Bluetooth chip.
- Apple also has all the engineering talent for designing their own extremely efficient SoC as well.

 

Ah yes, Luxvue. Here is the AI article:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/02/apple-acquires-luxvue-a-power-efficient-micro-led-maker---report

 

There are some really informative comments following the article, especially from Dick Applebaum.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Apple will not have numerous types of watches. Apple does things in ones and twos.

They will have two types w different memory sizes.

Version 1 is for the masses and will be $179. "Basic" version

Version 2 will be an FDA subsidized one for $499. High margin. For hospitals and chronic ill.

That's it

Because Apple is run by stupid people who are incapable of change and will force its business model on everything it does no matter how impractical?

I wouldn't be surprised if this rumour is even partially true. I've always contended that an iWatch, or whatever they call it, has to be as much a fashion accessory as a tech device. A phone is something people keep in their pockets. A watch, for most people, is part of their outfit. A whole lot of people are very picky about their outfit. That's why clothes, shoes, bags, belts, scarves,jewelry, and yes, watches, come in all shapes and sizes. A two model line up for the iPhone would address a very small segment of the potential market. I cannot imagine Deneve, Ahrendts, and that new guy from Tag Heuer (?) telling Tim, "Yeah, based on our experience in the fashion and accessories world, two models is going to be enough to crash this market and sell tens of millions of iWatches. Yup, that's the ticket."

I can't think of anyone who has ever sold tens of millions of a single model of a luxury fashion accessory in one year. I might be proved wrong but I doubt it for the reason I just gave.

My thought though was that the partnerships/tie ups will not be with the old line watch companies but with the top line fashion houses or designers.
post #49 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Within 10 years, the notion of a luxury watch will be synonymous with luxury smart watch and the Rolexes of the world will be on the path to extinction.

You wouldn't have a clue. If you're claiming disruptive technology, take the car industry. The Toyota Prius is now 17 years old and Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin, Bugatti et al aren't exactly quaking in their boots. In fact Ferrari reported record profits, revenues and net financial position this last financial year.

 

People with money (and taste) do not want computers on their wrists.

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #50 of 89

I don't think that Apple should be too concerned with what old fashioned watch makers are doing.

 

Did Apple model the iPhone on currently available phones at the time? Hell no.

 

Reinventing the watch requires completely new thinking, not following ancient norms and tired ways of doing things.

 

I see Apple's supposed iWatch and regular watches as two different categories of devices, that don't really overlap. Regular watches just tell the time for the most part, and Apple's iWatch will be a technical marvel, jammed full of sensors.

 

Battery time is an issue with watches that have displays on them. Maybe Apple can make theirs solar powered or kinetic powered, or maybe both!

 

I also think that Apple should release various models, including high end models. Watches are jewelry, so why can't Apple have a watch that's real gold or platinum? Make it thousands of dollars for the high end model.


Edited by Apple ][ - 7/23/14 at 10:22pm
post #51 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Hmmm now this rumor is making me think that Apple isn't making anything at all in terms of a physical object. But rather has created tech that will help other companies to make MFi smart watches. And perhaps Timex and Swatch are the first couple of companies that are joining in and will be the ones demo'd at the big iOS event in the Fall when the iPhone and iPad (and hopefully a new Apple TV) are introduced.

Excuse me but Timex and Swatch are too low brow for Apple. They will not be able to command the prices and margins that would interest Apple. I mean Timex is like the Kia of watches, you really think Apple would associate their brand with that? And that's not snobbery that's going on, it's a cold pragmatic business decision to protect the value, prestige and profitability of the Apple brand.
post #52 of 89
One thing that not everyone of you might know is the following:
1. If you want a watch to be labelled "Swiss made", then the assembly and a certain amount of pieces have to be done in Switzerland. And being swiss made in the watch industry, especially for a new player is THE most important thing.
2. Swatch not only sells watches but dominates 80% of the component market for brands that are not manufacturing mechanisms on their own (besides the internal brands there's brands like Hublot and the ones made under license, like Armani watches and others).

So one scenario would be that apple seeks components that are watch specific by swatch, to be labelled "Swiss made".
One scenario is also that the Iwatch will be assembled in Switzerland with part of Swiss components and part of Asian made ones (the high tech sensors).

Remember: the Swiss are good at keeping secrets so leaks might be zero up to now, also because there already are several assembly lines for third party watches, so figuring out one is for apple might be pretty difficult...
The Swiss watch industry (swatch group grew 4% in the quarter), would manufacture the Iwatch under license from apple with some apple components in it but under Apple design and specification.
Swatch group knows how to handle materials like sapphire and liquimetal (omega made one liquimetal watch).
Swatch knows how to produce watches from 60 dollars (Swiss made, mechanical, 60 dollars is bout as hard as it gets), to the average tissot (with t-touch tech, touchscreen on mechanical watch) to omega.

All this would be: an easy secret to keep, catch the whole smart watch industry flat footed and immediately entrench apple with the traditional watch industry's biggest player. Sharing patents and erecting barriers for competitors.
All the rest of the industry of smart watches would look geekish overnight.

Cook is the only guy that can pull this off (jobs would have never been capable).
And, for apple, this would really mean entering the wearable markets in style. With their own design (not, like the post suggest, repeating the iTunes Motorola fiasco).

Apply that to luxottica (look up the brands that they own: bonus tip: Ray ban, Oakley)....

You might consider this as a major shift for apple, but it would make total sense.
post #53 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

 And that's not snobbery that's going on, it's a cold pragmatic business decision to protect the value, prestige and profitability of the Apple brand.

 

Sorry, but after Beats, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised about Timex or Swatch.

post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't think that Apple should be too concerned with what old fashioned watch makers are doing.

Did Apple model the iPhone on currently available phones at the time? Hell no.

Reinventing the watch requires completely new thinking, not following ancient norms and tired ways of doing things.

I see Apple's supposed iWatch and regular watches as two different categories of devices, that don't really overlap. Regular watches just the tell the time for the most part, and Apple's iWatch will be a technical marvel, jammed full of sensors.

Battery time is an issue with watches that have displays on them. Maybe Apple can make theirs solar powered or kinetic powered, or maybe both!

I also think that Apple should release various models, including high end models. Watches are jewelry, so why can't Apple have a watch that's real gold or platinum? Make it thousands of dollars for the high end model.

Though I can't imagine spending so much money on a Rolex or Omega, I understand the allure of a finely crafted old world mechanical movement. I've always worn automatic watches, but only Seikos, because I don't like replacing batteries. Imagine, though, a mechanical Omega that is 100% accurate because its movement incorporates an Apple micro motherboard that periodically syncs the time with the official NOAA time. You get the best of both worlds: an old world mechanical movement but information age accuracy, not to mention the host of iWatch functions that Apple offers.
post #55 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Sorry, but after Beats, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised about Timex or Swatch.

Beats commands prices and margins that Timex only dreams about.
post #56 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

One thing that not everyone of you might know is the following:
1. If you want a watch to be labelled "Swiss made", then the assembly and a certain amount of pieces have to be done in Switzerland. And being swiss made in the watch industry, especially for a new player is THE most important thing.
2. Swatch not only sells watches but dominates 80% of the component market for brands that are not manufacturing mechanisms on their own (besides the internal brands there's brands like Hublot and the ones made under license, like Armani watches and others).

So one scenario would be that apple seeks components that are watch specific by swatch, to be labelled "Swiss made".
One scenario is also that the Iwatch will be assembled in Switzerland with part of Swiss components and part of Asian made ones (the high tech sensors).

Remember: the Swiss are good at keeping secrets so leaks might be zero up to now, also because there already are several assembly lines for third party watches, so figuring out one is for apple might be pretty difficult...
The Swiss watch industry (swatch group grew 4% in the quarter), would manufacture the Iwatch under license from apple with some apple components in it but under Apple design and specification.
Swatch group knows how to handle materials like sapphire and liquimetal (omega made one liquimetal watch).
Swatch knows how to produce watches from 60 dollars (Swiss made, mechanical, 60 dollars is bout as hard as it gets), to the average tissot (with t-touch tech, touchscreen on mechanical watch) to omega.

All this would be: an easy secret to keep, catch the whole smart watch industry flat footed and immediately entrench apple with the traditional watch industry's biggest player. Sharing patents and erecting barriers for competitors.
All the rest of the industry of smart watches would look geekish overnight.

Cook is the only guy that can pull this off (jobs would have never been capable).
And, for apple, this would really mean entering the wearable markets in style. With their own design (not, like the post suggest, repeating the iTunes Motorola fiasco).

Apply that to luxottica (look up the brands that they own: bonus tip: Ray ban, Oakley)....

You might consider this as a major shift for apple, but it would make total sense.

How I wish that this would be true. Maybe the CEO of Swatch Group was engaging in classic misdirection when he said those dismissive things about Apple. Maybe this is why Eddy Cue said "most exciting product rollout in the last 25 years". Maybe this is why Deneve and Ahrendts were hired. A major new branch in Apple's line of business, high fashion/high tech.
post #57 of 89
2 billion Swiss francs net income in 2013...
http://www.swatchgroup.com/en/content/download/4992/168686/version/3/file/2013_annual_report_complete_en.pdf

Swatch group assembly
http://www.swatchgroup.com/en/brands_and_companies/production/swatch_group_assembly


Makes for an interesting read. Remember: you might not be "into it". But developing countries, and affluent middle aged people are buying watches in droves. And the luxury market doesn't know the meaning of recession.
Moreover: swatch is not an amateur company, it had gross sales of 8.4 billion Swiss francs in 2013 (up 8% from previous year).

Apple is not dumb. They want to tap in that market. High margins, high sales.
post #58 of 89
Maybe their liking for manufacturers.
post #59 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post
 

 

Ah yes, Luxvue. Here is the AI article:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/02/apple-acquires-luxvue-a-power-efficient-micro-led-maker---report

 

There are some really informative comments following the article, especially from Dick Applebaum.

 

I was reading up on SOS (Silicon on Sapphire) and one of the current leading companies using this technique is a company called, Peregrine Semiconductor in San Diego. In fact the company was tapped for producing an antenna switch in the iPhone 4S' dual-antenna design. However it was dropped with the release of the 5C and 5S, causing their stock to plunge.

 

Possibly a good opportunity for Apple to acquire them?

 

======

 

After reading a little about SOS, and taking into account all the sapphire Apple is buying up, I'm really beginning to wonder if Apple is producing the A8 using an SOS fabrication process? It seems that very few others make use of it in microprocessors because it is considered to be fairly expensive (the sapphire). But the properties of using such a process would allow processors to use a lot less power and run much, much faster.


Edited by mjtomlin - 7/24/14 at 1:12am
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #60 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Apple will not have numerous types of watches. Apple does things in ones and twos.

They will have two types w different memory sizes.

Version 1 is for the masses and will be $179. "Basic" version

Version 2 will be an FDA subsidized one for $499. High margin. For hospitals and chronic ill.

That's it

Tim. What did Apple's board tell you about posting on AppleInsider? Steve never did. Don't do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

This news fits well with what I've been posting on this subject:

In the fullness of time, all of the traditional watch makers are vulnerable.  The utility of a watch as a timepiece has already been wholly disrupted by technology.  Gone are the days when people check the time 100 times a day; smartphones with reminders and appointment calendars inform us of our time-based commitments, and these devices are looked at for a variety of purposes throughout the day, with the time ever present on screen.  Smart watches will first supplant ordinary watches as a more functional fashion accessory.  And with smart watch functionality soon becoming expected, luxury smart watches will come on the scene where they will displace those luxury watches whose functionality extends only to telling the time and a few other time-based functions.  A technology ecosystem will be a critical part of the picture, and this is something none of the existing luxury watchmakers can bring to the market in any meaningful way compared with the technology giants currently moving into this space.  Within 10 years, the notion of a luxury watch will be synonymous with luxury smart watch and the Rolexes of the world will be on the path to extinction.

Advice to the luxury watch makers:  partner with tech giants, if they'll even have you.

Em,no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

You wouldn't have a clue. If you're claiming disruptive technology, take the car industry. The Toyota Prius is now 17 years old and Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin, Bugatti et al aren't exactly quaking in their boots. In fact Ferrari reported record profits, revenues and net financial position this last financial year.

People with money (and taste) do not want computers on their wrists.

Yes. If technology could disrupt the watch industry then digital watches would be the only watches available now. Clearly while smart phones are about technology, watches are about fashion and displays of wealth. The function - telling the time - can be done with a cheap $5 watch just as well. Or just use your phone. To convince people to put accessories on their wrists, in particular to convince men who tend to never do this , takes brand, design, and style.

If the traditional watch market was disruptable it would already have been disrupted.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #61 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrboro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Swatch? That is sooooo 1986. What's next, they'll create a Pro version, designed by Keith Haring? Hey, if Michael Jackson can still release a new album...
the Swatch line, yes.  Swatch Group...  Omega, Harry Winston, Longines, Rado, Tissot...  

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You should go back and take a look. I wear my $150 Swatches far more often than I do my Baume & Mercier.... seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


Swatch basically saved the Swiss watch industry from an onslaught of cheap quartz and digital watches from Japan.

They also make off the shelf movements that power a lot of "Swiss Made" watches under the ETA brand.

In house vs off the shelf movements opens a whole can of worms among watch enthusiasts.

Wow. Thanks guys, I had no idea they were this big!
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #62 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

One thing that not everyone of you might know is the following:
1. If you want a watch to be labelled "Swiss made", then the assembly and a certain amount of pieces have to be done in Switzerland. And being swiss made in the watch industry, especially for a new player is THE most important thing.

 

"The watch industry" - is that the one where people wear timepieces on their wrist which are nothing to do with telling the time but everything to do with displaying your wealth and making a statement?

 

No company with Apple's tech savvy or cachet, outside the watch industry, has ever been expected to make a "watch" before. So far (ignoring the strange items made by Samsung and Google) nobody has made something for your wrist that isn't a watch. People will not ditch their Rolex or other luxury fashion marques mentioned in earlier posts for an Apple watch unless Apple is looking to provide something that fits on your wrist (?) but isn't a watch. They would need to appeal to a completely different market. I expect that Apple's product may not need to be Swiss Made if they are not entering the watch industry. They may well be creating a new industry that doesn't currently exist. They have done it before ...

post #63 of 89

Looking at the iTime Smart Watch design ...

 

9948-1921-140722-iWatch_Patent-3-l.png

 

Either Apple will make a watch that looks like this.. 

 

wpid-1326211568-82214500.jpg

 

Or the square design is a misdirection, and Apple actually produces a round watch like the Moto360...

 

motorola-moto-360.jpg

 

.... that functions like these Moto360 Design Face Off watch face designs.

 

You will find the designs in the blog here:

 

https://plus.google.com/communities/100528130097464336279

 

Unveiled-the-Moto-360-design-finalists-all-10-pieces..jpg

Unveiled the Moto 360 design finalists all 10 pieces 5

jw2moto360

Moto-360-Aramis-anim

Moto 360 Product 5 Pawel H

Moto 360 Product Template - SPEEDO

will rodriguez

minuum-moto-360-6.jpeg

Minuum.jpg

 

Angles360+Moto360+Finalist+Animated3.gif

 

anim004c_gap3_d_no_rot.gif anim004c_gap3_c.gif

 

8.gif

 

4.gif

 

5.jpg

 

moto_360_bold.gif

 

moto_360_watch2+correct+time.jpg

 

Moto-360-Product-Template-V2.png

 

Jesse-Conboy---dg7-sundial----STYLE-GUIDE---Moto-360-Product---Jesse-Conboy-at-gmail.png

 

 

 

android-keyboard.gif

 

Or something like the Arrow Smartwatch Concept with the rotating camera in the bezel.

 

http://www.arrowsmartwatch.com/#home2

 

img

 

basel-rotating.gif 

img

img

img

img

img 


Edited by InteliusQ - 7/24/14 at 1:42am
post #64 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

"The watch industry" - is that the one where people wear timepieces on their wrist which are nothing to do with telling the time but everything to do with displaying your wealth and making a statement?

No company with Apple's tech savvy or cachet, outside the watch industry, has ever been expected to make a "watch" before. So far (ignoring the strange items made by Samsung and Google) nobody has made something for your wrist that isn't a watch. People will not ditch their Rolex or other luxury fashion marques mentioned in earlier posts for an Apple watch unless Apple is looking to provide something that fits on your wrist (?) but isn't a watch. They would need to appeal to a completely different market. I expect that Apple's product may not need to be Swiss Made if they are not entering the watch industry. They may well be creating a new industry that doesn't currently exist. They have done it before ...

Yes... it's called the wearable tech industry... and it is not only about a "watch face".

While I think Apple may also design a "watch face", I personally believe it will be the watch band and clasp mechanism that will change the game. Using it's expertise in materials, Apple will use an innovative clasp mechanism constructed of Liquid Metal, and a curved strip of Sapphire glass over a roughly 14-18mm x 45-50mm x 3mm housing that contains all of the sensors and chips necessary.

Using energy efficient Bluetooth 4.0 and power-sipping sensors, including the chosen screen tech, the "watch band" will be powered by human heat and will not need a battery.

Forbes 2010 Article "Turning Body Heat Into Electricity"

Gizmag... also from 2010 "Researchers harness heat to power electronics"

Getting assorted Swiss watchmakers on board is more about giving them the opportunity to integrate the "band" than to take over the "face", which I agree is so much of a fashion statement that none of the new hires at Apple, nor Jony Ive would be fool enough to try and supplant. However, the underside of any watch is up for grabs, and could very well be powered by Apple-tech and be integrated fashionably, advantageously, health-consciously... and be a user-friendly accessory to any iPhone or iOS device... even including your Mac(!)

- The Watch = (face including the sides of the band) = any watch design or maker your heart desires... might I add... both old AND new.

- The Pulse = tech powered by Apple and (your) life... literally. 1smoking.gif

I've not enough time to go into detail (re: my ideas) of the functionality and additional features a watch band affords the iOS eco-system. But make no mistake... it IS about the Apple and iOS eco-system(s), and less about a "stupid" tech gadget such as those that have been shown to the world previously from Pebble, Android Wear, or worst "guess" of all to try and beat Apple to market based on a rumored product... that "Gear" thing(!) 1oyvey.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #65 of 89
Getting bored reading all these rumors that seem to change from day to day. It's all he said she said and none of these journalists know anything. I just want to see what Apple is making already. I'll wait for the real thing instead of these rumors of $10000 apple luxury watches or glowing apple logos. I guarantee both of those are way off
post #66 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Looking at the iTime Smart Watch design ...


>>>> multiple pictures of some pretty neat watch faces and ideas <<<<

See my post below yours: an iWatch... as in "iWatch Your Life" band... could be used with any of these.

Most important is that it integrates with any iOS device and has it's own app. Personally I think it would be stupid though.

Oh... and just because I'm excited about a wrist-band iWatch... once again, that doesn't exclude Jony Ive or any of his designer friends from making a modern, stylish "time-piece" or connecting bands. In fact, I think it would be opening the door to all kinds of cool designs for young, old, classic, Fashionistas... as well as price points.

My whole premise is a product that makes the iPhone/iOS eco-system... and even OSX Macs... more "sticky-tech" than they already are.

*** Idea about security: not only 2-point, but now 3 point. Phones get lost, laid down and forgotten (or swiped)... every day. An emergency low-powered wifi chip in the iWatch band can not only be used as a 911, but also to lock your iPhone (or MBA, iMac) if you are not within BT distance. This is also a third identifier for secure payments.

The list goes on and on what an iWatch can possibly do... but most importantly... it watches over your LIFE. Both physically (health-wise)... but also the gadgets you have around you that hold your work, dear memories and your connections to the world.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #67 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisColumbus View Post

Getting bored reading all these rumors that seem to change from day to day. It's all he said she said and none of these journalists know anything. I just want to see what Apple is making already. I'll wait for the real thing instead of these rumors of $10000 apple luxury watches or glowing apple logos. I guarantee both of those are way off

Then don't read the rumors or participate. My belief is that forums are for intelligent discourse on a subject, dreamscaping, or LOLZ.

Taking the time to state your boredom over something that you have absolute control of to do... or not to do... is neither of the above and just plain pathetic. Man up... take control of your life and your bodily actions. Don't let a measly headline sway you into temptation to be miserably bored and depressed... 1oyvey.gif

*** A thought... rather a question came to mind will reading your last sentence... as it pertains to my thesis above what I think an iWatch "could" be.

Q: How much is your life worth... literally?

And technically considering what's on your Apple devices, would $200, $300... $500(?) be an acceptable price to pay to "lock it all down", as well as be forewarned of health implications and/or automatically call for emergency personnel if you didn't take the warnings seriously... or you were just plain in need of police assistance?

Using your forum name, I would expect you to be the adventurous type. But going down the Road of Exaggerated Claims is rather childish, because no one has said anything about $10k Apple luxware or "glowing Apple logos". Although fitting to your name, the CC I remember reading about in school was rather undisciplined, impetuous, and succumbed to depressions and pouting all too often. Welcome to India...1wink.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #68 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But please, do not make it a skeuomorph. That would be fun for five minutes and then look very old. I don't think Apple would but I'm just sayin'.

Why are you are "just saying'"?

post #69 of 89
If these rumors are true, Apple is executing this smartwatch launch very well. Samsung and others only sold their wearables at electronics stores and failed to convince the bulk of consumers who are used to regular watches.

If I were to guess Apple is borrowing a few tips from Angela Ahrendts' retail playbook. Well done.
post #70 of 89
Doesnt seem to make sense to me and Swatch has already rejected that rumour quite clearly.
post #71 of 89
hybrid please,
would be nice to have mechanical hour/minute hands for when the battery runs out.
post #72 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

This news fits well with what I've been posting on this subject:

In the fullness of time, all of the traditional watch makers are vulnerable.  The utility of a watch as a timepiece has already been wholly disrupted by technology.  Gone are the days when people check the time 100 times a day; smartphones with reminders and appointment calendars inform us of our time-based commitments, and these devices are looked at for a variety of purposes throughout the day, with the time ever present on screen.  Smart watches will first supplant ordinary watches as a more functional fashion accessory.  And with smart watch functionality soon becoming expected, luxury smart watches will come on the scene where they will displace those luxury watches whose functionality extends only to telling the time and a few other time-based functions.  A technology ecosystem will be a critical part of the picture, and this is something none of the existing luxury watchmakers can bring to the market in any meaningful way compared with the technology giants currently moving into this space.  Within 10 years, the notion of a luxury watch will be synonymous with luxury smart watch and the Rolexes of the world will be on the path to extinction.

Advice to the luxury watch makers:  partner with tech giants, if they'll even have you.
 
Actually, I like my post of a week or two ago better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post
 

I still cannot believe that there will be a single "iWatch". As I go over all the stuff I've read, I can count at least three possible models: 1) a fitness model, 2) a health monitor (maybe even two, specialized for cardiac problems and for diabetes), and 3) a luxury model (think real Swiss movement with a subtle notification function - maybe not a watch per se but a technology to be licensed).

 
At the risk of being accused of massive hubris, the recent iWatch/iTime patent article convinced me even more that I might be on the right track. Could the "specialty" devices be several interchangeable modules for health/fitness purposes, paired up with a line of different bands (e.g. leather, metal, plastic)? That the tech will mainly be in the band rather than concentrated in the body of the watch hints at the possibility of having true Swiss movement time-pieces. A technology that can be licensed means Apple doesn't have to design and build its own watch to play in the luxury market. If the technology turns out to be a real game-changer, it would not be impossible to think names such as Rolex or Tag-Heuer to someday be licensees.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply
post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Rolex unless something happened overnight is privately held (it's a Swiss thing).  They are not a Swatch Subsidiary/brand
(not that I'd care, but my watch collection consists of 3 Rolexes my dad gave me...  He being an US Air Force guy, Rolex was officer bling in the 50's ;-)


From Wikipedia.... these are the Swatch Family of watches

Prestige and Luxury Range




High Range




Middle Range




Basic Range




Private label




I had no clue Swatch had grown like this. Thanks for the education! I realize I haven't looked at watches or even thought about them for 35 years. A girl friend bought me a Rolex on a visit to Andorra back then and I've worn it ever since.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #74 of 89

I knew this was total BS.

 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/swatch-group-denies-working-apple-113050446.html

 

Swatch Group Denies working with Apple on smartwatch

 

No way on this green earth would Apple allow another hardware manufacter to over shadow their hardware design.

Apple will design the iwatch from begininng to end. PERIOD.

post #75 of 89
Sorry to be late to the thread ... if this has been said, my bad, I haven't read through the posts yet.

It all makes me wonder if Apple are making an intelligent 'watch strap' not a watch per se! Or some attachment to an existing watch at least. I can't see how but nor can I see why Apple would be talking to other watch makes ... assuming the rumor is true.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #76 of 89
Stupid? How does stupidity land you 160 bil in the bank?
post #77 of 89
Jonny Ive is a very fine friend of Marc Newsom, and Marc has ample experience of producing stunning watches with Ikepod (ikepod.com).
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This would make a lot of sense.

 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and now with the denial by Swatch, even more assuredly): "Just because something makes sense does not make it SO."

post #79 of 89

Well maybe they are doing the car play approach, develop a set of tool and API's and work with the world manufactures to implement them into their designs. This way Apple does not need to be a watch expert but work with the experts and provide them the tools which allows the watch to work with apple ecosystem and product offering.

 

This could be a much better approach than them making a watch, they could do their own design but they may allow everyone else to do the heavy lifting.


Edited by Maestro64 - 7/25/14 at 10:26am
post #80 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
 

Well, Apple still doesn't make a lot of key components for existing products (LCD displays for example) If their effort (or one of the their efforts) is to marry a high tech digital display with a quality analog watch, they would need to partner.

 

If the watch crystal could be invisible to show a traditional, real watch face, and then turn opaque with a full color screen overlay, it would be incredibly interesting...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
 

Well, Apple still doesn't make a lot of key components for existing products (LCD displays for example) If their effort (or one of the their efforts) is to marry a high tech digital display with a quality analog watch, they would need to partner.

 

If the watch crystal could be invisible to show a traditional, real watch face, and then turn opaque with a full color screen overlay, it would be incredibly interesting...

 

Have you seen this? 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndycU_dUHNQ&list=FLKofJkWfHkacPrJmMbcP6-w&index=3 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple reportedly working with Swatch, other watchmakers to roll out multiple 'iWatch' devices