or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple concept would automatically enable iOS 'Do Not Disturb' mode during exercise
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple concept would automatically enable iOS 'Do Not Disturb' mode during exercise

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Apple is interested in dynamically adjusting iOS notifications based on a user's physical activity, such as silencing an iPhone or perhaps even a mythical "iWatch" when the user is exercising, or bugging them to get moving after an extended period of inactivity.




The fitness-focused concepts were revealed in a new Apple patent application published this week by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, first discovered on Thursday by AppleInsider. Entitled "Method and Apparatus for Automatically Adjusting the Operation of Notifications Based on Changes in a Physical Activity Level," it describes how a user's iPhone might take on a more active or passive role based on the current circumstances.

The application repeatedly mentions the "Do Not Disturb" mode Apple introduced to its iOS platform beginning with the launch of iOS 6. In one example, Apple says that if a user enabled the setting, an iPhone could automatically enter a Do Not Disturb state when the device detects that the person is exercising.

Apple notes that an iPhone or other portable device could analyze data from its own onboard sensors, or from external connected devices such as a step tracker or heart rate monitor. If any of these detect that the person has a high activity level, notifications for text messages, emails and phone calls could be disregarded for the duration of the workout.

The concept also requires that activity continue for a certain amount of time for Do Not Disturb to be enabled, ensuring that the system doesn't incorrectly interpret a brief high-activity event -- such as walking up a flight of stairs -- as a workout.




"In this way, a short burst of activity --?e.g., running to catch a bus --?is not mistaken for the beginning of an exercise workout," the filing reads.

In another method, Apple states that a user could manually enable Do Not Disturb at the start of a workout, and the system would automatically deactivate it at the conclusion of the exercise.

Apple's system wouldn't just prevent annoyances during a workout --?it would do exactly the opposite if a user hasn't been active enough. The filing states that reminders could be sent to the user's device if they haven't gone for a run in a few days, or it could simply advise them to get up from their desk if they've been sitting for too long.

As with the existing Do Not Disturb function in iOS, Apple notes that certain notifications could be an exception to the rule. For example, texts or calls from certain contacts might be approved to send notifications no matter what, while repeated calls from the same contact could also be allowed to send an alert.

Apple's application was first filed with the USPTO in January of 2013 before it was publicly disclosed this week. The proposed invention is credited to Natalia A. Ziemianska and Devrim Varoglu.
post #2 of 19

Strapping a big iPhone 6 to ones arm is going to be pretty bulky. I don't like going anywhere without a phone. It would be nice if the iWatch could actually be a phone. If Apple could ever get the carriers to go along with a software programable SIM, perhaps there would be a way to transfer the phone number back and forth between devices so you could exercise with just the iWatch.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #3 of 19
In before people complain about how they don't want their phone or watch nagging them to exercise and annoying them when they aren't interested... It already says you would have to turn it on in settings / opt in.
post #4 of 19

Now if we could get iOS to send out tweets to friends when it detects we're in a boring meeting (no activity, indications of drowsiness in the fitness monitors, etc), imploring them to send us messages and cat videos... that would be awesome!

post #5 of 19

Oh, and having iOS send us fake "emergency txt" notifications whenever it detects we need rescuing from a "bad date", all the better!  iOS could become my best friend....  :P

post #6 of 19

I wouldn't mind this feature...but then I say "thank you" to Siri after she creates a new reminder or new note. :)

 

Best.

post #7 of 19
Now if only they'd make their music location aware, so when you're at the gym, shuffle would automatically only choose from specific playlists or genres so no ballads come on while working out. Or set a geofence at your parents so if you are visiting you could set it to not play any music they'd find offensive automatically without having to build specialized playlists.
post #8 of 19
Actually - if it can monitor you while you're exercising, I wonder if they have considered any kind of emergency features, such as dialing 911 if you have a heart attack (etc)?

That would actually be useful.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Actually - if it can monitor you while you're exercising, I wonder if they have considered any kind of emergency features, such as dialing 911 if you have a heart attack (etc)?

That would actually be useful.

Seeing as Siri is not able to dial 911 without asking you basic questions first, I doubt we will see that kind of automated feature.

 

I think they are concerned about accidental 911 calls.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #10 of 19
Apple: make this feature password protected (parental) that makes phone "Do not disturb" when moving faster than 10 MPH. This would allow parents to STOP distracted driving in teenagers (or adults with low will power)and would sell phones to families of any parent of a driving teen.
post #11 of 19
Or when streaming Netflix to a TV.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #12 of 19
Just need to come up with a way to disable everyone's phone now when driving, eating, in a theatre... etc.
post #13 of 19
Would work fine with Health Kit.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I wouldn't mind this feature...but then I say "thank you" to Siri after she creates a new reminder or new note. 1smile.gif

Best.

You too? I thank her as well, often. She always responds kindly, like "don't mention it" or "that's ok [insert my name here]". She's gotten really good at pronouncing my name.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #15 of 19
........I was forced to fast jog the 2 miles to catch the train to an important meeting.
Making it just in time, as the train was leaving a message came through.

" I tried to ring you to tell you that the meeting was cancelled'.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

........I was forced to fast jog the 2 miles to catch the train to an important meeting.
Making it just in time, as the train was leaving a message came through.

" I tried to ring you to tell you that the meeting was cancelled'.

LMAO!
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


You too? I thank her as well, often. She always responds kindly, like "don't mention it" or "that's ok [insert my name here]". She's gotten really good at pronouncing my name.

Yep, Phil. It's just about being polite. :)

 

Best.

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Strapping a big iPhone 6 to ones arm is going to be pretty bulky. I don't like going anywhere without a phone. It would be nice if the iWatch could actually be a phone. If Apple could ever get the carriers to go along with a software programable SIM, perhaps there would be a way to transfer the phone number back and forth between devices so you could exercise with just the iWatch.
The new handoff features seem like they would be great, but if there Bluetooth, or wifi there still 50ft limit generally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Seeing as Siri is not able to dial 911 without asking you basic questions first, I doubt we will see that kind of automated feature.

I think they are concerned about accidental 911 calls.
Siri is better at it I heard, but fact is a rapid drop or raise in heart rate/body tempature never comes out as accidental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You too? I thank her as well, often. She always responds kindly, like "don't mention it" or "that's ok [insert my name here]". She's gotten really good at pronouncing my name.
Yeah, very responsive wheather your nice or the opposite to Siri.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjape View Post

Now if only they'd make their music location aware, so when you're at the gym, shuffle would automatically only choose from specific playlists or genres so no ballads come on while working out. Or set a geofence at your parents so if you are visiting you could set it to not play any music they'd find offensive automatically without having to build specialized playlists.

 

Just don't listen to offensive music in the first place. Problem solved.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple concept would automatically enable iOS 'Do Not Disturb' mode during exercise