or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Performance boosts with upcoming Intel processors

Performance boosts with upcoming Intel processors

Poll Results: Wait for Skylake or upgrade at Broadwell, indifferent to situation.

• 50% (1)
    Skylake
  • 50% (1)
    Broadwell
2 Total Votes  
post #1 of 3

With Broadwell in MBP and MBA pushed back until next year, in most likeliness, whatdo you all think are the performance boost we will get with Broadwell and Skylake compared to the current MBP and MBA?

post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Arcari View Post

With Broadwell in MBP and MBA pushed back until next year, in most likeliness, whatdo you all think are the performance boost we will get with Broadwell and Skylake compared to the current MBP and MBA?

That is very hard to answer but inmthe case of Broadwell we are suppose to get 20% better or more GPU performance increase. If the CPU gets faster that will most likely be due to clock rate increases allowed by 14nm. SkyLake is more of mystery. Broadwell was focused on low power devices, SkyLake is new architectures to increase performance.

By the way Intel might have something out with Broadwell/14nm this year. At this point it looks like it will be a tablet chip but what exactly is and isn't coming is a bit confusing. In any event I expect SkyLake to be a big boost in performance.
post #3 of 3
I suspect they'll try to get the Macbook Air down to a fanless design.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7318/intel-demos-14nm-broadwell-up-to-30-lower-power-than-haswell

The chip in the current Air is rated at 15W. HP manages to fit the following 11.5W chip into a fanless laptop:

http://ark.intel.com/products/76610/Intel-Core-i5-4202Y-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_00-GHz

It doesn't have to have no fan at all, it can have a different kind of fan like a piezo-electric fan:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/12/ge-dual-piezo-jets/

but it would be virtually silent under full load and never have to throttle performance due to temperature. This could mean better battery life too.

The MBP is designed more for performance but if they can drop from 50-90W down to 35-60W while maintaining the same performance, I actually think that would be an ok thing to do. In its current form, the MBP is roughly on par with the highest iMac and entry Mac Pro in CPU performance so it's hardly a slouch. Cutting down the heat and fan noise would be nice even just as a one-off and then boost performance the next time while maintaining the new lower TDP.

There should be another MBP release this year though. The Iris Pro likely unchanged but the 750M can move to an 850M.

I think quite a few people want to see a Retina Air this year and it's plausible but they still refreshed the old models this year so maybe it'll get pushed back to Broadwell so that they can go Retina and fanless at the same time.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Performance boosts with upcoming Intel processors