or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple holds on to top spot in tablet sales despite iPad decline

Apple holds on to top spot in tablet sales despite iPad decline - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Oh Relic! I read your post.
Why does only Apple need competition?

I don't understand how you came away with the impression that Relic said that.

The message I got was that Apple's popularity creates the risk of iOS becoming a de facto monopoly, and that's not good for anyone. Competition drives creativity, and when you're left with only once choice, no matter which one it is, progress stagnates.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Competition drives creativity, and when you're left with only once choice, no matter which one it is, progress stagnates.

Tell that to the pre-iPhone mobile phone market. Apple didn't make the iPhone to compete with the existing mobiles, they did it because what all the many competitors offered sucked for years and they used the phones themselves. The aim wasn't to take over the market, they aimed for 1%, they just wanted to make a good phone. They didn't make the iPad to compete with anyone because no one made a tablet like the iPad, there was no market there at all. They didn't make the App Store to compete with all the other app stores, there were no popular app stores they had to compete with. Apple didn't make the Mac because they had to compete with IBM, there was no personal computer market. The iPod had many competitors but again, they weren't the target, the target was doing portable music in a way that didn't suck.

A lack of competition holds back progress if the market leaders have low standards. When they have high standards like Apple, the competition is mostly copying features and driving down quality to beat them on price. They might make incremental improvements here and there but largely inconsequential.

I don't promote monopolies as they are in opposition to the success of the free market (some free market proponents actually like monopolies when their favorite is the one in front) but I don't agree that competition drives creativity. Did Michelangelo, Picasso, Da Vinci etc do all their work to better their competitors? People who make great work do it because they choose an outlet for what they are passionate about. Competitors aren't even on the radar unless they start ripping them off.

The iPad is ahead because a tablet is an immersive device. If you get the experience wrong, people notice. You can't dress it up with gimmicky features or selling them at no profit. If the competition wants to get creative and actually improve on Apple's standards, the door's wide open. For non-Apple tablets to succeed, they don't need Apple to fail, they just need to do a better job. Good luck with that.
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Did Michelangelo, Picasso, Da Vinci etc do all their work to better their competitors? People who make great work do it because they choose an outlet for what they are passionate about. Competitors aren't even on the radar unless they start ripping them off.

IIRC Michelangelo and Da Vinci did compete with each other, tho it may not be what drove each to seek perfection in their art. Anyway a very good post Marvin, and one that I agree with.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

No one believes that and frankly it's getting a little annoying that people are even implying it

Huh? You must be reading different forums than I am.

You've never heard those tired market share arguments? How Android "dominates" the mobile market? Or how Apple is doomed?

Yeah I don't believe it either... but it gets implied quite often.

Quote:

could you imagine a world where only two mobile OS's existed, God forbid just one, we're almost to that point now.

Yep... it's effectively that now. Android and iOS represent 95% of the mobile market.

I'm not sure how to remedy that though. There are other platforms out there... but they're just not popular enough.

People stopped buying Symbian, Palm and Windows Mobile smartphones and started buying Android and iOS phones instead. And they continue to buy them today.

Blackberry is still around... just barely. And Windows Phone is a relatively new entry in the market. But I doubt either of those will become a force to reckoned with.

It kinda reminds me of Windows, Mac and Linux.... or Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Often there are 2 huge players and a 3rd far behind.
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Quote:

No one believes that and frankly it's getting a little annoying that people are even implying it

You've never heard those tired market share arguments? How Android "dominates" the mobile market? Or how Apple is doomed?

Quote:

could you imagine a world where only two mobile OS's existed, God forbid just one, we're almost to that point now.

Yep... it's effectively that now. Android and iOS represent 95% of the mobile market.

I'm not sure how to remedy that though. There are other platforms out there... but they're just not popular enough.

People stopped buying Symbian, Palm and Windows Mobile smartphones and started buying Android and iOS phones instead. And they continue to buy them today.

Blackberry is still around... just barely. And Windows Phone is a relatively new entry in the market. But I doubt either of those will become a force to reckoned with.

It kinda reminds me of Windows, Mac and Linux.... or Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Often there are 2 huge players and a 3rd far behind.

We tend to think that more choice is always a good thing, but it doesn't always pan out that way. Coke and Pepsi. McDonalds and Burger King. Sellotape and...other unknowns. Martini. 

Then there are cars. I think there are way too many manufacturers today, even with all the consolidation that has already taken place. So many look almost identical, are made from the same materials and behave similarly. In the past, there was real distinction between them; now, they are one big homogenous gloop, from the cheapest to the most luxurious, save the very rare exception. In fact, it reminds me of the mobile phone market before the iPhone. 

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

We tend to think that more choice is always a good thing, but it doesn't always pan out that way. Coke and Pepsi. McDonalds and Burger King. Sellotape and...other unknowns. Martini. 

Then there are cars. I think there are way too many manufacturers today, even with all the consolidation that has already taken place. So many look almost identical, are made from the same materials and behave similarly. In the past, there was real distinction between them; now, they are one big homogenous gloop, from the cheapest to the most luxurious, save the very rare exception. In fact, it reminds me of the mobile phone market before the iPhone. 

There was not always a real distinction between them:

post #47 of 49
Quote:

There was not always a real distinction between

Wow those are ugly cars, I can't believe people actually bought those things and were proud to put it in their garage. Im so happy such cars never made it here, just complete garbage, yucky.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #48 of 49
Im so happy such cars never made it here, just complete garbage, yucky.

No seats. You’re forced to stand. I say stick to making chocolate; you guys are great at that. ;)

post #49 of 49
Quote:

You've never heard those tired market share arguments? How Android "dominates" the mobile market? Or how Apple ios doomed?

The only people saying Apple is doomed is us in jest, maybe a few articles here and there have said that Apple has lost its way or aren't selling as many as previous quarter but they never suggest Apple is actually doomed. Those kind of stories are the thing of the past, Apple is the largest computer company in the world, no idiot in their right mind would suggest otherwise.

I really dislike that companies have almost given up in coming up with new mobile OS's. There is nothing wrong with iOS or Android, many people seem to be happy with phones running those OS's but I will for now on only buy phones from those companies who are both struggling and are trying their hardest to come up with new ideas. So my next phone will defiantly be a BlackBerry, first, I really don't want to see them fall, second they're finally releasing something that I think is going to be awesome, their new Passport, a phablet like no other with a 1440 x 1440, 1:1 aspect ratio display, Qualcomm 801, 3GB of RAM, 64 GB storage, mini SSD card, micro HDMI and the best part a physical keyboard. Everything that I want in a phone and more, especially now that BlackBerry OS 10.3 has finally fixed those problems that I had with 10. I also really want a phone that has a hardware keyboard, like the lack of mobile OS choices I really hate that companies have also given up on the keyboard as well. My favorite phones of all time have always been those with one, like my; Nokia Communicator 9500, Nokia E6 (one of 50 directly from Nokia that was gold plated), E7, N950, BlackBerry Porsche P9981 and my Vertu Constellation Quest which I still use when I go out to things like the orchestras.

Meet the new Passport;

182815-whiteblackberrypassporttitle.jpg
BlackBerry-Passport-Frames.jpg

It's different and unique, cool looking, has the specs but best of all, in a sea of iPhones and Android phones I will defiantly stand out in a crowd,
Edited by Relic - 7/27/14 at 3:59pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple holds on to top spot in tablet sales despite iPad decline