or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store

Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store - Page 4

post #121 of 157

By separate drive I was saying not the Time Machine drive. Of course making backups on the same drive than the system would not have much meaning...

My Time Machine Backup is in a Time Capsule on a separate drive.

post #122 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Well - BT 4.0 enabled cards are not required for Continuity to work, just the devices be on the same iCloud account and connected to the web in some fashion (Continuity includes features like SMS in Messages on Mac).

Oh okay. That's good to know... SMS was my biggest concern.

Thanks!

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #123 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by luinil View Post

By separate drive I was saying not the Time Machine drive. Of course making backups on the same drive than the system would not have much meaning...

My Time Machine Backup is in a Time Capsule on a separate drive.

I would still make a bootable backup of your system on another external drive, using a utility like CCC. If something catastrophic should go wrong, you could boot off of it and just copy it back onto your internal drive.

However if you have an external drive, why not install Yosemite beta on it?

But I would definitely NOT use your current Time Machine backup with Yosemite beta.

post #124 of 157

I was planing to cut Time Machine so it keeps the last backup under Mavericks until the release of the final version of Yosemite. 

Thanks for your help.

post #125 of 157
I downloaded and installed on a fresh partion, ran all updates, but there is no Feedback Assistant - not in the menu, not in the dock, not in the library folder it's supposed to be...weird...
post #126 of 157
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
Tallest Skil has been on my ignore list for a long time.  If I make his list of "morons" I don't know if I would be embarrassed.

Yeah, see, you don’t comprehend at all what my post said or what you’re even saying in reply to it. Try again, please.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Does Yosemite essentially telegraph all retina products this fall? Or is that dependent on Intel?

Not sure what Intel has to do with anything. They don’t make panels.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #127 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by luinil View Post

I was planing to cut Time Machine so it keeps the last backup under Mavericks until the release of the final version of Yosemite. 

Thanks for your help.

This is what I am doing, but I am still creating a new partition for Yosemite. That way I still have access to all my files and programs under mavericks, and if Yosemite goes ape shit and destroys my main partition (as unlikely as that is), I can wipe and restore and be up and running again in about 12 hours.
post #128 of 157
Spent a frustrating time trying to upgrade a Mavericks Parallels VM with this without success. It might just be my setup but maybe try to avoid this for now.
post #129 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrumble View Post

Spent a frustrating time trying to upgrade a Mavericks Parallels VM with this without success. It might just be my setup but maybe try to avoid this for now.

I bit the bullet and finally upgraded vmWare Fusion from v4 to the latest version 6. 

In the middle of installing it in virtual machine now. :-)

post #130 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

This is what I am doing, but I am still creating a new partition for Yosemite. That way I still have access to all my files and programs under mavericks, and if Yosemite goes ape shit and destroys my main partition (as unlikely as that is), I can wipe and restore and be up and running again in about 12 hours.

To be extra, extra safe... after you have everything setup... Boot in to Yosemite and create a simple Text Edit file. Edit it a few times. Then boot back in to Mavericks and make sure Mavericks can not only open it, but also access all the revisions.

I only say this, because there's a slight chance that Apple may have updated their document revisions system and it may not be backward compatible with older systems. You could potentially lose all previous versions of a document, if that's important to you or not?

post #131 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And here come 10,000 morons who install this and then whine about things being broken.

That's what a beta program is for.  I won't call them morons but Apple's "free testers".  There should be a lot more than 10k people who're willing to spend a day to beta test the new OS.  

post #132 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

That's what a beta program is for.  I won't call them morons but Apple's "free testers".  There should be a lot more than 10k people who're willing to spend a day to beta test the new OS.  

I think he's more or less referring to those people that install it thinking everything is going to work, without really understanding what a beta is. Happens all the time. They come on here pissed off that's something's not working the way it did before.

post #133 of 157
Quote:

Not sure what Intel has to do with anything. They don’t make panels.
I thought Apple needed Broadwell in order for retina Airs to be feasible. According to Patently Apple Intel has a new processor (14nm-core-m) that they're reserving for fanless 2 in 1 Windows laotops (so they can go fanless before the MBA does). Has Intel shut out Apple before? If true then I hope Apple is seriously looking into other options for future Macs.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/07/intels-14nm-core-m-cpus-launch-this-fall-but-not-for-macs.html
post #134 of 157

I had the same problem. I called support, but ended up talking to someone in sales. They told me to go to the App Store app and click on purchases. Sure enough, the download got hung up. So, I just clicked on resume and it worked.

post #135 of 157

I don't disagree with what TS said, just the way he said it. He's right about huge numbers of people who will ask stupid questions, but was it necessary call them morons? Was talking down to people from behind the internet really necessary? I think not. Some civility would be more fitting.

post #136 of 157

The moron part wasn't necessary, was it?

post #137 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Though the number of comments flowing in to Apple will likely be huge and repetitive (thousands might comment on the exact same point), if they have a good system for processing them they could get a lot of good feedback that they could (just could) use to make the OS more appealing to more people.  Then again, there also will be a lot of users participating in the beta who are still not developers who have fairly specific needs/wishes and tastes, so the comments need to be analysed.  Sometimes it is good having complete outsiders (in this case relative newbies when it comes to computers) give feedback as they see things more settled users will gloss over.  Apple designs its stuff to be easy to use; who better than a low level user to test the ease?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #138 of 157
Originally Posted by TomMikele View Post
He's right about huge numbers of people who will ask stupid questions, but was it necessary call them morons?

Yes; that’s what people who ask stupid questions are.

Was talking down to people from behind the internet really necessary? I think not. Some civility would be more fitting.

Yes, particularly since it is the Internet. You have the sum total of the freely available knowledge of all of humanity literally at your fingertips and you’re going to be stupid and lazy enough to not do any work of your own before whining to others thereon?

It’s as civil as they deserve.

post #139 of 157

Downloaded and installed with no problems.  I like the way it looks and have noticed some nice new features.  Installed iTunes 12 beta.  Purchased HD movies will not play but standard ones will.  Has never been a problem before.  Must be HDCP issue somehow.  Update soon I hope?

post #140 of 157

The only things I had issues with were Boot Time 50-63 secs. or froze and had to reboot. Java is buggy with it right now and clearing your History causes you to have to sign in on all and everything using a saved password. Why? No clue.

UPSIDE. SHUT DOWN is almost instantaneous. 5-10 secs.

post #141 of 157
Quote:

Same iMac here, but I am running 10.10 on a Mac mini in Target Display Mode.  10.10 will not be installed in the iMac (one of my primary machines) unless there are some changes to the UI.  

I'm not having issues as in problems with an improper install.  My issue is the design of the UI.  The promo pics I had seen (Apple's site, etc) led me to expect some of what I am seeing.  Personally, I don't really like it.  My reaction is no where as strong as it was to iOS7; at least with Yosemite they could fix it with just a few tweaks, or allow the user to change settings.

As I said above, I like the ability to chose icon size in side bars.  Hopefully, more options for more settings will be added.  The machines can surely handle it now.

Back a few months I worried that design elements, overall design concept or whatever, similar to iOS would creep into Mac OS and thought I might not jump for the new design.  My concerns are being confirmed.  But I will be quick to admit it might just be my tastes in design; I find many modern design elements difficult to swallow.  I guess I am a little more dated than I thought I was!

Not to worry.  I bought a new Mac Pro this spring and am therefore perfectly set for the next couple of years if need be.  The Mac mini is old and almost never used after I ran into trouble with a 3D app I use (Carrara); the distributed rendering was broken by Mavericks and thus the machine is no longer needed.  Sadly, the makers of the app, Daz in Utah, do not seem interested in updating it so I have to make do with what I have.

I use my Mini more than the iMac because it's basically my media center, and I use my Widows computer more than both. It has a couple of Titans in SLI.

The U.I. Literally looks almost the same. I can look at both at the same time right now. The icons are designed a little better and that's about it. The transparency is minimal and non-obtrusive. It looks like Tallest Skill doesn't have much to worry about. It automatically sends a report when a program fails with your permission. It was quite slow at first, however after spotlight checked everything out it seems pretty smooth.

I've thought about buying a base Mac Pro to replace my "media center" Mini. I'm waiting for HDMI 2.0 and 60p. I think that's the next step for the mini. At this point I do almost everything in 4k and even the Pro will not do 60p.

ThePixelDoc

I think I seem to be one tick on that counter!  And, you reminded me: the trash can in the dock is, well, not what I would expect if they spent as much time on it as Craig suggested.  Reminds me of a Sith Lord or something like that (sorry, I am not up on my Star Wars characters).
post #142 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ah, I thought it was about a poster here

Nah, I'm harmless.
post #143 of 157
Silver Shadow:

4K!  Just last year I finally bought a 60p capable full HD (1920x1080) video cam (Canon XA20) and last week grabbed a GoPro (will upgrade if a new one comes out with better than 15fps 4K).  My new interest is time lapse.  Also, finally, I want to take some videos in the rivers near my house; lots of interesting life forms down there.  Enough to create several seasons of Star Trek, probably.

I will fire up Yosemite again tomorrow, but just on the 1920x1080 display.  I don't have problems with TDM and my MacPro, but the Mini might be distorting things.

I am trying to like Yosemite.  Really.  I would like to  love it.  So far, that just isn't the case, and I have been bracing for that for a year since iOS7 was released.

Edited by Bergermeister - 7/27/14 at 8:15am

post #144 of 157

I honestly feel that Apple is treating us like their children and holding our hands and walking us into the new OS X and telling us we will learn to accept what they have done. I remember reading articles and some friends saying Apple would never make OS X look like iOS 7 and I kept disagreeing.

I told them Apple continued to talk about continuity for both systems and the only way to get to that point is to make them look and work alike at some point. The only great thing about it is it's not being force fed to us like MS does to the masses by just stopping support for the older OS's and forcing you to accept the NEW thing.

I have different machines running different OS X variants and will probably never update them as they serve a purpose and I see no need in disturbing the force. :lol:

post #145 of 157
Quote:

And here come 10,000 morons who install this and then whine about things being broken.

I didn't realise that the Grand Old Duke of York frequented this forum.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #146 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post
Wake me when ready.

Between September 21 and December 21. Early hibernation, I guess.

So funny! I love to imagine him curling into a ball and settling down for a couple of months somewhere in Canada until the fall.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #147 of 157
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
I didn't realise that the Grand Old Duke of York frequented this forum.

Ha! We call him ‘noble’ over here.

post #148 of 157

Can anyone explain why Apple didn't go from OS X 10.9 to OS X 11? They seem to have boobed, as 10.10 is the same as 10.1, which I think was Leopard. Maybe it was a millennium bug, like how all computers were going to crash in 2000. Perhaps TS or Solip have the answer...

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #149 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Can anyone explain why Apple didn't go from OS X 10.9 to OS X 11? They seem to have boobed, as 10.10 is the same as 10.1, which I think was Leopard. Maybe it was a millennium bug, like how all computers were going to crash in 2000. Perhaps TS or Solip have the answer...

Please tell me you're not serious.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #150 of 157

I’m almost certain he’s joking, particularly since he mentioned two people who’ve explained this in the past. Really have to throw an ¡ or /s on these things, Frosty. No matter how outlandish the belief, someone here will hold it.

post #151 of 157
Quote:

I’m almost certain he’s joking, particularly since he mentioned two people who’ve explained this in the past. Really have to throw an ¡ or /s on these things, Frosty. No matter how outlandish the belief, someone here will hold it.

That would spoil the fun.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #152 of 157
Quote:

Swear, before I checked who posted it I was this -->this<-- close to hitting "Reply." :)

post #153 of 157

OK... Using it again tonight with Transparency reduced and increased contrast on.  This makes it much better.  There are still some oddities but I can actually put up with this. Maybe.

In other words: once I turned off a couple of the main design elements, it is better.  That doesn't say much for the design.

Also turned the selector on for buttons, etc to Grey, not Blue.  The red, yellow and green dots at the top left of windows was driving me mad.

post #154 of 157
Quote:

OK... Using it again tonight with Transparency reduced and increased contrast on.  This makes it much better.  There are still some oddities but I can actually put up with this. Maybe.

In other words: once I turned off a couple of the main design elements, it is better.  That doesn't say much for the design.

Also turned the selector on for buttons, etc to Grey, not Blue.  The red, yellow and green dots at the top left of windows was driving me mad.

I quite like the new UI.
post #155 of 157
Quote:

I quite like the new UI.

In Dark Mode does the trash can change color?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #156 of 157
Quote:

I quite like the new UI.

A lot of people do.  Most, in fact.  A good many don't.  [If I am reading the data on another Apple fan site right.]

I admitted earlier that I am getting dated, and I know that I will not like everything Apple does (the horror! Some people here will hate me for this...).  iOS7 still is an abomination as far as I'm concerned.  Yosemite is not as bad, and with translucency off it is almost OK.  A few tweaks and it should be nice.

post #157 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In Dark Mode does the trash can change color?

No

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store