or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store

Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store - Page 3

post #81 of 157

the most i have been able to download is a bit over 2gb, then the sodding thing restarts.  sometimes it says i cannot get it.  been like this for 5 hours.  

post #82 of 157

Look in Software Updates. Purchases. I got the redeemed message and found it there.

post #83 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And here come 10,000 morons who install this and then whine about things being broken.

I hope beyond hope that those 10,000 "morons" as you say, submit a bug report. If they do, then I'll be happy that those so called "morons" are using it. If they don't, then the project failed.
post #84 of 157

After an hour of use, I can say again there are some major tweaks needed to the UI.  I find it difficult to see sometimes.

The translucency is a useless, gimmicky goop that is more irritant than anything else.  Put a couple of windows atop of each other and it gets messy, fast.  Overall, it makes it difficult to see what is being focuses on.  I honestly cannot believe they let this out of the lab.  The menu bars are also unbalanced visually and the RYG dots are not great.

In its current state, this OS is not going near my main machines.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #85 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

After an hour os use, I can say again there are some major tweaks needed to the UI.  I find it difficult to see sometimes.

The translucency is a useless, gimmicky goop that is more irritant than anything else.  Put a couple of windows atop of each other and it gets messy, fast.  Overall, it makes it difficult to see what is being focuses on.  I honestly cannot believe they let this out of the lab.

They made a specific app for feedback. Although, with the ability to have as many "desktops" as you want, why are you placing everything over something else?
post #86 of 157
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
I hope beyond hope that those 10,000 "morons" as you say, submit a bug report. If they do, then I'll be happy that those so called "morons" are using it. If they don't, then the project failed.

If they know what bug reports are, they’re not the morons of which I’m speaking.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #87 of 157
Quote:

They made a specific app for feedback. Although, with the ability to have as many "desktops" as you want, why are you placing everything over something else?

I will be giving feedback after I have had a little more time.  

I am just doing things the way I always have; there are times I change desktops (Spaces is a great friend, and I have dual displays) but there are times when I just shove lots of things on to a single desktop because it's easier to work with that way.

I also use my iMac as a display (10.10 is on a mini) and thus can switch instantly between screens using 10.9 and 10.0.  Makes the differences even more stark.

post #88 of 157
Quote:

If they know what bug reports are, they’re not the morons of which I’m speaking.

Touché my friend. Touché!

Edit: In English: Well Said!
post #89 of 157

The feedback app says:

Please let us know about anything that seems broken or unexpected.

Doesn't sound like they want much feedback on design, but I will try.

I have started blinking a lot since using 10.10.  

post #90 of 157
Quote:

I will be giving feedback after I have had a little more time.  

I am just doing things the way I always have; there are times I change desktops (Spaces is a great friend, and I have dual displays) but there are times when I just shove lots of things on to a single desktop because it's easier to work with that way.

I also use my iMac as a display (10.10 is on a mini) and thus can switch instantly between screens using 10.9 and 10.0.  Makes the differences even more stark.

This may be a silly question, but have you used "hot corners" for Spaces? It's extremely fast, and once you get used to it you can't imagine a computer without it.
post #91 of 157
Quote:

The feedback app says:

Please let us know about anything that seems broken or unexpected.

Doesn't sound like they want much feedback on design, but I will try.

I have started blinking a lot since using 10.10.  

You used it for an hour! I haven't gone through the code yet, but there's no reason for a non translucent version.

I'm chalking one up to Tallest Skill. That's 9,999 more to go.
post #92 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I had to Bing to figure out how to </snip>

I like how you said that. Trying to go cold turkey on all things Google I see!

post #93 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Two more years and every search engine will have that capability.
post #94 of 157

So kind.  Thanks for your support!   Any consideration for a differing opinion?  Or, why would they put out a beta if they don't want feedback?  Is everyone supposed to just ooh and aww over it and slobber and say it's the best thing we've ever seen?  

In it's current form, there is no non-translucent setting I could find.  I am not a programmer, just a user, so I can't go throughout the code.  I just want to use it.  I know it is a beta and that things will be tweaked; I truly hope they improve the UI, fast.  I am back on my iMac now and have stopped blinking as much; I do not know what was causing it.  Yes, some things like eye irritation can manifest quickly; iOS7 caused some users to fall ill with vertigo in seconds.

As I said, I think it needs a lot of work, visually.  My opinion is my opinion, and may be different from the majority.  I dunno.  I do know that some of my initial reactions to iOS7 were correct and know that some, but not enough, were actually fixed by Apple.  Those fixes should have been there from the start, before it was released.  A beta test is, I assume, for this purpose, and I will be giving my feedback to Apple.  If others here don't agree with my opinion, so what.

Tallest Skil has been on my ignore list for a long time.  If I make his list of "morons" I don't know if I would be embarrassed.

post #95 of 157
Quote:

So kind.  Thanks for your support!   Any consideration for a differing opinion?  Or, why would they put out a beta if they don't want feedback?  Is everyone supposed to just ooh and aww over it and slobber and say it's the best thing we've ever seen?  

In it's current form, there is no non-translucent setting I could find.  I am not a programmer, just a user, so I can't go throughout the code.  I just want to use it.  I know it is a beta and that things will be tweaked; I truly hope they improve the UI, fast.  I am back on my iMac now and have stopped blinking as much; I do not know what was causing it.  Yes, some things like eye irritation can manifest quickly; iOS7 caused some users to fall ill with vertigo in seconds.

As I said, I think it needs a lot of work, visually.  My opinion is my opinion, and may be different from the majority.  I dunno.  I do know that some of my initial reactions to iOS7 were correct and know that some, but not enough, were actually fixed by Apple.  Those fixes should have been there from the start, before it was released.  A beta test is, I assume, for this purpose, and I will be giving my feedback to Apple.  If others here don't agree with my opinion, so what.

Tallest Skil has been on my ignore list for a long time.  If I make his list of "morons" I don't know if I would be embarrassed.

If you have read any of my other post, you know I'm not a fanatic. There truly is no translucency to "Goobly Gook" everything. I just don't get what your posting.

I had to sign up to put Tallest Skill on my ignore list. Then I started reading his posts. Other than being rude in some instances he's not always wrong.
post #96 of 157
Quote:

The translucency is a useless, gimmicky goop that is more irritant than anything else.

1) You can reduce the transparency as well add some contrast to objects in System Preferences » Accessibility » Display. Note that I types in 'trans' for transparency to get the Preferences app to show me where it's located.

2) A UI can be broken or unexpected, especially if the user interface isn't easy to use.
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/25/14 at 12:40am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #97 of 157
Quote:

So far I cannot replicate your "Gobbly Gook" experience. Perhaps we have different settings. Seems extremely stable. I'm running it through it's paces right now. I'm more concerned with Screen Sharing. It's performing quite well. It's even working with some Apple a TV's that I purposely haven't updated in over a year. So far I have nothing bad to say about it.

Next week I'll look at the code.
post #98 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) You can reduce the transparency as well add some contrast to objects in System Preferences » Accessibility » Display.

2) A UI can be broken or unexpected, especially if it's not user interface isn't easy to use.

1 - Will look at that later.  I do like the settings for icon size; there is some interesting stuff yet for me to discover.

2 - True.  I consider it that way.  Will others?

post #99 of 157
Quote:

1) You can reduce the transparency as well add some contrast to objects in System Preferences » Accessibility » Display.

2) A UI can be broken or unexpected, especially if it's not user interface isn't easy to use.

I love this guy. I was going to try and post a picture, however I couldn't get anything that could not link back to my identity. The standard settings it starts up with don't seem to have the issues your mentioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Just downloading now - and I don't think it is actually limited to the first 1,000,000 people.

Has anyone already installed it? Is it reasonably OK to use in your MAIN machine? 

I haven't put it through too many tests yet. I would hold off until the next release. It's extremely stable, it so far works perfectly on my TEST machine. 2012 custom iMac fully loaded. It's not that big of a change from Mavericks that you need to download it. Especially if you do not have iOS8, which I advise you do NOT install yet.
post #100 of 157
Quote:

1 - Will look at that later.  I do like the settings for icon size; there is some interesting stuff yet for me to discover.

2 - True.  I consider it that way.  Will others?

I think the icon size is in prep for a 4k display. Before you go crazy, it doesn't have to be made by Apple. 4k TV's are becoming more prevalent. To be honest I think Apple is waiting for the standardization of HDMI 2.0 before we see much more of 4k from them.

Edit: I think that's been holding up a lot of products. The Mac mini, which the next generation should have the same form as the Mac Pro. The Apple Display which would need HDMI 2.0 for 4k. They could release them under Thunderbolt, however I think they learned their lesson from FireWire a while ago.

Without HDMI 2.0 you are limited to 30 FPS. With, you have 60 FPS. Thunderbolt could have handled it for a couple of years, however I've seen very little support on monitors and literally NO support on TV's. So I think they are working on HDMI 2.0 support and hopefully helping the industry develop that tech.

(Hint) Apple is part of the HDMI Standard.
Edited by Silver Shadow - 7/25/14 at 12:52am
post #101 of 157

I can't post images either.

One thing I don't like with the translucency is it was occasionally unclear which window was active; with a dark background, the active window sometimes had darker regions than inactive windows, which were largely white.

When layering several window atop of each other, slightly off to one side or another, the delineation between windows was less than clear.

The main menu bar at the top is also less clear than that in 10.9. 

The progress strip for Safari requires a magnifying glass to see, even on a 27" iMac.

Being able to switch back and forth really made some of the changes stand out, and, for me at least, many were for the worse.  I really, really hope they are going to tweak things, but my gut tells me they are fairly set in the appearance, at least for the near future.

For now, 10.10 will stay only on my Mac mini as a test device.  As I said last year with iOS7, I am worried about where Apple is going with UI design and that I might choose not to tag along.  This is not to say that others will agree.  I fear that they are stretching it tin 10.10 and I may choose not to upgrade Mac OS on any of my primary machines.  That means I will have to buy hardware before the finally public release and cross my fingers that they support 10.9 for a couple of years.

The endless update alerts on my iDevices and the ever-present flag for iOS7 (the #1 even after I update all my apps) are beginning to drive me mad.  Hopefully they will not do the same for Mac OS, ever.

post #102 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

You know what? It was a really simple question that someone who has been running the beta for a while now could've answered and someone who downloaded this public version and has started playing around could've given first impressions.

A simple, "No, man, too many issues, not at all usable." or "Seems fine so far. I haven't noticed any serious problems."
Either one of those answers would be the WRONG answer to the question, because there are far too many variables for any one person to answer knowledgeably, let alone give anyone with THAT qustion assurance to go ahead with the install.
Quote:
Is that really that damned hard? Apparently, some of you would rather give a lecture and come off as high and mighty.

The very question itself painted @brlawer into the "Beginners Corner" and for anyone answering to be on the safe side and help him/her to protect themselves from disappointment and answer, "better not install at this time; be patient and wait for more info".

If replying as a thinking adult to a childish question is "high and mighty", then so be it 1rolleyes.gif
Quote:
I've used a beta version of almost EVERY OS X release on my main system after I backup up the old. I know what a beta is. I know there are risks. That's not the question that was asked, and yet that's the only answer you "super smart" people want to respond with and continue to reiterate in every response.

Wait. If I'm not mistaken, @brlawer asked the question and not you. So are we to project your experience to @brlawer now? Or are you just posting under 2 different accounts?
Quote:
How about you shut up and ignore the question if you don't have the answer? I don't need the beta-police telling what I should and shouldn't do, I'm just looking for an opinion on how well the beta runs.

Actually, I thought that @wizard69 answered the question quite well and would never have gotten into the fray, until the thankless and rude brlawer decided to attack wizard69's answer because he didn't coddle him enough and obviously didn't like the answer given (BTW: on most days I'm at serious odds with wizard69's comments here; this wasn't one of them).

So now how 'bout YOU shut up, install the beta and do a nice little write-up regarding your experience. Regardless of good or bad, success or not, I would still take all of my normal precautions before installing a beta or an OSX upgrade. and advise others to do the same.

HINT & BTW: a backup is only one of those precautions to a successful install and potential time spent down the road troubleshooting problems. Oh yeah... pardon me... no one troubleshoots anymore... they just come on to assorted forums and do their little "Bitch & Moan Dance" about Apple. Exactly what TS predicted in the first post and what some of us are trying to avoid with pointed answers to tepid questions. Jeez..... 1oyvey.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #103 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

If replying as a thinking adult to a childish question is "high and mighty", then so be it 1rolleyes.gif
Wait. If I'm not mistaken, @brlawer asked the question and not you. So are we to project your experience to @brlawer now? Or are you just posting under 2 different accounts?
Actually, I thought that @wizard69 answered the question quite well and would never have gotten into the fray, until the thankless and rude brlawer decided to attack wizard69's answer because he didn't coddle him enough and obviously didn't like the answer given (BTW: on most days I'm at serious odds with wizard69's comments here; this wasn't one of them).

HINT & BTW: a backup is only one of those precautions to a successful install and potential time spent down the road troubleshooting problems. Oh yeah... pardon me... no one troubleshoots anymore... they just come on to assorted forums and do their little "Bitch & Moan Dance" about Apple. Exactly what TS predicted in the first post and what some of us are trying to avoid with pointed answers to tepid questions. Jeez..... 1oyvey.gif

I'm a Level 10 over on the Apple Support Site. I have to admit that I don't agree with Wizard69 either. This post had everything wrong from the start.

Edit: to Tallest Skill. That's 9,998.
post #104 of 157
Quote:

I can't post images either.

One thing I don't like with the translucency is it was occasionally unclear which window was active; with a dark background, the active window sometimes had darker regions than inactive windows, which were largely white.

When layering several window atop of each other, slightly off to one side or another, the delineation between windows was less than clear.

The main menu bar at the top is also less clear than that in 10.9. 

The progress strip for Safari requires a magnifying glass to see, even on a 27" iMac.

Being able to switch back and forth really made some of the changes stand out, and, for me at least, many were for the worse.  I really, really hope they are going to tweak things, but my gut tells me they are fairly set in the appearance, at least for the near future.

For now, 10.10 will stay only on my Mac mini as a test device.  As I said last year with iOS7, I am worried about where Apple is going with UI design and that I might choose not to tag along.  This is not to say that others will agree.  I fear that they are stretching it tin 10.10 and I may choose not to upgrade Mac OS on any of my primary machines.  That means I will have to buy hardware before the finally public release and cross my fingers that they support 10.9 for a couple of years.

The endless update alerts on my iDevices and the ever-present flag for iOS7 (the #1 even after I update all my apps) are beginning to drive me mad.  Hopefully they will not do the same for Mac OS, ever.

I'm using Yosemite on a 27" 2012 iMac. You clearly did not get a proper install. I can't find any of your issues. Trust me, I'm trying!
post #105 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Again, kid: stop being condescending when you don't even know who you talk to or how many years one has been using Apple computers.

I asked nicely and got way worse than that...so just don't write back if you are not adding anything to the original request. By the way, is this related to nerds having zero social intelligence or what?

What's the matter with you? It's obvious that you didn't take into consideration he actually might be older... and even if younger... far more knowledgeable than you!

Your question does NOT come across as a knowledgeable experienced user in the least!
Quote:
So far, is it good enough to use on your main Mac or not? I am not gonna whine of course; just wanna know how much of a "beta" it really is as far as daily usage is concerned.

Main Mac? Are bloody freakin' serious?! NO!

Because you or brlawer couldn't be bothered to answer (and prove your knowledge as a pro I might add),

"The 3 main things to prepare your Mac for ANY upgrade or install" question I posted, here they are:

1) Make sure that your trash is emptied and your desktop is free of anything AKA clutter (put files or aliases in a different folder within Documents to add back to your desktop later);

2) Open Disk Utilities; verify your system drive and repair permissions (I go a step further and use Onyx or Disk Tools Pro to empty/rebuild caches and launch services, execute maintenance scripts, and verify a "clean" system); do a restart.

3) after all of the above, manually do a Time Machine backup, then disconnect it. Next, create a complete bootable clone of your system drive to a fast external one using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Restart and verify that the clone is working. (I consider "backups" as one step!)

Now it's your personal choice... but for testing purposes I personally prefer to update/install on the clone drive rather than the internal drive. I consider the clone to be the throw-away if anything goes downhill, and I can get back to peak performance and productivity and await when I have the time to figure out "what I did wrong" and report it to the masses. NOTE: If you choose to use your Mac's internal system drive, restart and remove the external drive for safe keeping before updating.

BONUS TIP: after the update/install, repair permissions. You should be doing this every time before and after any system software updates.

NOTE: in 30+ years of using Apple computers and installing/repairing literally 1000s of Macs, I've used variations of this approach depending on the system and tools at hand. I have NEVER... not even one time... have had any nasty surprises (data loss, bricking, etc.) that I couldn't recover from immediately. I consider immediate, by simply changing the start drive at start-up. Troubleshooting later when I have the time, the client does, or production software and the system is working again to our standards. Experiment and learn at your own risk and time. I don't do any of this on "Main Macs" either(!!!)

I couldn't possibly live up to the "A**hole Kid" label you and mjtomlin slapped on me... without punching back cheekily and asking, "so you knew all that... still asked that question... and want to be taken seriously as a pro?". Dream on. You're both old hacks that think your age qualifies you to be considered wise and knowledgeable, yet your actions and words belie the truth: wannabes! My personal advise: go mow your lawn instead.
post #106 of 157
Quote:

Well there are many people here who have been using the beta since it was released at WWDC. They would know how well the beta runs and can give an impression. We can assume (not always) that since this beta is a newer build, it might have even less issues than the DP4 beta released earlier this week.

Apple doesn't say whether it is or isn't stable enough to use as an everyday machine. They do say they recommend you backup your system or install it on a second Mac. I have used many OS X betas where Apple has said the same thing and most have worked fine for everyday use.

I downloaded the public beta, but I cannot install it at the moment due to the fact that one of drives has died in my RAID, so I cannot backup my system. So I was just being curious to what some people thought about it. I never expected that question to be answered right away. I can always come back tomorrow and read responses. Unfortunately, a few people responded by lecturing me on something I am already well aware of, rather expressing an opinion that would've been a proper response to my question. Again, I never asked if it was okay or safe to install the OS.

Mature, proper responses to the question would've been along the lines of,

"I downloaded it and tried it ... I wouldn't recommend that you use it as an everyday system ... way too many issues and kernel panics"

Or even,

"It's great! Love the new interface. Runs much faster and smoother. I did notice a few issues though, but nothing major, so far."

Part 1: my apologies and I see that you've installed the beta and providing help and feedback. Keep up the great work. Although, neither of those answers should be be given to anyone asking "The Question" IMHO. Both are too short and don't take into consideration the skill level of the person doing the asking, nor the person providing the answer to be trusted.
Quote:

That's all I was looking for. There's no need for ethics here. If someone is stupid enough to come on here looking for advice and then installs the public beta over the top of their existing OS without following Apple's recommendations (backing up or use second Mac), then tough. Don't come on here bitching and whining about. No one wants to hear it!

Part 2: actually, this never was about you or what you were looking for. So on that, I can't apologize for any remarks I made because you stepped into the same boat as brlawer. Your entire post here from top to bottom is the answer to brlawer's question... including the "tough sh*t" paragraph above. Your answer (finally) is not much better than the one originally given by wizard69.

So quite possibly, we both backed up the wrong horse on this matter due to a misunderstanding and the aversion to TL;DR posts (like this one).

Obviously, you don't need to be "mowing your lawn instead" (see my snarky comment above... sorry). However, I would consider getting out of that leaky boat soon. Anyone that freely includes "lawer" in their forum name is suspected anywhere as a "tool", but only ready to bale you out of deep water if it serves there own egoistic, maniacal or material gain purposes.

So, my negative bias towards brlawer due to his other remarks on other threads has been unmasked. Personally can't stand anything he's ever written... far more so than wizard69... who's normally a proverbial PITA. Bad horses both of 'em... 1smoking.gif
post #107 of 157
Quote:

I'm a Level 10 over on the Apple Support Site. I have to admit that I don't agree with Wizard69 either. This post had everything wrong from the start.

Edit: to Tallest Skill. That's 9,998.

Only curious:

1) which post are you referring to?
2) is that a "countdown" as in "9,998 Idiots Left to Deal With"? Oh...fun!
3) which people have fluttered into the "Basket Case of Idiocy" in your opinion?
4) do we have a special Trash Can icon for that here or in the new OSX Beta? Could be useful rather than just ignoring or flagging... 1biggrin.gif

@appleinsider mods: wouldn't it be great if some of the gurus in these parts put together an "Installation Guide to MacOSX Updates and Betas" as a "sticky thread". It would be far easier in the future to just point to that post and say, "If you've read this ... then knock yourself out, have fun, and contribute your experience here later."

After just a few years of participating here, we keep on posting over-and-over and bickering about the same "Basic Apple 101" knowledge and best practices, whether OSX or iOS. Not that it's not freely available in multiple posts across the web through a simple Bing search (keeping with the trend 1smile.gif... but maybe people already here would take it more seriously coming from OP's that they have come to trust and follow?

Just a suggestion.

post #108 of 157

So far - so good. Only thing I've noticed so far is that VMWare Fusion 6.0.2 does not launch.

I installed on a tertiary machine and I'm pretty tolerant of beta software since I've created my share of it and know the reality and pitfalls. I'm also running iOS8 beta with pretty good success. The first iOS8 beta was barely usable on an original iPad Mini but the later ones show good promise. 

The reason that Apple releases public betas is to get more eyes and hands on the product and invite critical scrutiny. If you install the beta please do your part and beat the crap out of it and let Apple know where it breaks and doesn't meet your expectations. I think 10.10 will be a great release and you can help make it even better.

post #109 of 157
Quote:

And here come 10,000 morons who install this and then whine about things being broken.

Safari seems snappier.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #110 of 157
Quote:

I'm using Yosemite on a 27" 2012 iMac. You clearly did not get a proper install. I can't find any of your issues. Trust me, I'm trying!

Same iMac here, but I am running 10.10 on a Mac mini in Target Display Mode.  10.10 will not be installed in the iMac (one of my primary machines) unless there are some changes to the UI.  

I'm not having issues as in problems with an improper install.  My issue is the design of the UI.  The promo pics I had seen (Apple's site, etc) led me to expect some of what I am seeing.  Personally, I don't really like it.  My reaction is no where as strong as it was to iOS7; at least with Yosemite they could fix it with just a few tweaks, or allow the user to change settings.

As I said above, I like the ability to chose icon size in side bars.  Hopefully, more options for more settings will be added.  The machines can surely handle it now.

Back a few months I worried that design elements, overall design concept or whatever, similar to iOS would creep into Mac OS and thought I might not jump for the new design.  My concerns are being confirmed.  But I will be quick to admit it might just be my tastes in design; I find many modern design elements difficult to swallow.  I guess I am a little more dated than I thought I was!

Not to worry.  I bought a new Mac Pro this spring and am therefore perfectly set for the next couple of years if need be.  The Mac mini is old and almost never used after I ran into trouble with a 3D app I use (Carrara); the distributed rendering was broken by Mavericks and thus the machine is no longer needed.  Sadly, the makers of the app, Daz in Utah, do not seem interested in updating it so I have to make do with what I have.

ThePixelDoc

I think I seem to be one tick on that counter!  And, you reminded me: the trash can in the dock is, well, not what I would expect if they spent as much time on it as Craig suggested.  Reminds me of a Sith Lord or something like that (sorry, I am not up on my Star Wars characters).

post #111 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

The reason that Apple releases public betas is to get more eyes and hands on the product and invite critical scrutiny. If you install the beta please do your part and beat the crap out of it and let Apple know where it breaks and doesn't meet your expectations. I think 10.10 will be a great release and you can help make it even better.

Bingo.

I plan to tinker over the weekend and send my first round of feedback on Sunday or Monday.

post #112 of 157
Does Yosemite essentially telegraph all retina products this fall? Or is that dependent on Intel? It would be nice if late 2014/early 2015 Apple's iOS and OSX product lines would be completely retina. It seems their design decisions in iOS and OSX point to that as both OS's look much better on retina displays.
post #113 of 157
Quote:

Without HDMI 2.0 you are limited to 30 FPS. With, you have 60 FPS. Thunderbolt could have handled it for a couple of years, however I've seen very little support on monitors and literally NO support on TV's. So I think they are working on HDMI 2.0 support and hopefully helping the industry develop that tech.

Nearly every 4K monitor I have seen supports 4K @ 60Hz over DisplayPort 1.2.  4K monitors with DisplayPort 1.2:

ASUS PB287Q

ASUS PQ321Q

Dell P281Q

Dell UP3214Q
Dell UP2114Q

Philips 288P6LJEB

Samsung U28D590D

Sharp PN-K321

And Thunderbolt 2 is 100% compatible with DisplayPort 1.2. Just plug a mini-Displayport to DisplayPort cable from your Thunderbolt 2 port to your 4K monitor and away you go. So I don't know what you mean by "Without HDMI 2.0 you are limited to 30 FPS" and "I've seen very little support."

post #114 of 157
Quote:

1) You can reduce the transparency as well add some contrast to objects in System Preferences » Accessibility » Display. Note that I types in 'trans' for transparency to get the Preferences app to show me where it's located.

2) A UI can be broken or unexpected, especially if the user interface isn't easy to use.

Pushing those controls in accessibility is a bit counterintuitive, in my opinion.

I haven't looked at the images very closely before, I'm not liking the flat look at all.
post #115 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

HA!  Damn straight. :)

ETA:  I actually have found Bing to better, anyways.

Edited by AaronJ - 7/25/14 at 7:23am
post #116 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

The Keychain problem has been going onnforever.  It SHOULD be simple, but somehow it keeps not doing anything.  I am sure it's me.

Okay, thanks!

KeyChain not working would've definitely been a deal breaker for me. Good to know it's you and not the OS! ;)

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #117 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I haven't looked at the images very closely before, I'm not liking the flat look at all.

Looking around the net and there are quite a few who are not liking a lot about the UI, from the font making text difficult to read (I concur here, it seems fuzzy) to the dark setting not being dark.  They are sending feedback.

I wonder if Apple knows what's coming?  

More importantly, I wonder if they care.

Hopefully, iMacs and minis will be updated before Yosemite goes mainstream, so I can upgrade a machine or two and wait out the UI changes if necessary.

I sometimes wonder why Apple can't just make the UI fairly user configurable.  How hard would it be?  Choose between several fonts, sizes, color schemes...

post #118 of 157
Quote:

Don't feed into the people on here that assumptions like that - I already got caught up in it yesterday. Some people are more sensitive to certain things than others - and some people just can't grasp that.

Having said that, there's probably a way to turn off the translucency... more than likely in the Accessibility System Preferences.

When I used the Mavericks beta last year, I remember it had UI glitches as well, but it was still very much usable.

post #119 of 157
Quote:

Don't feed into the people on here that assumptions like that - I already got caught up in it yesterday. Some people are more sensitive to certain things than others - and some people just can't grasp that.

Having said that, there's probably a way to turn off the translucency... more than likely in the Accessibility System Preferences.

When I used the Mavericks beta last year, I remember it had UI glitches as well, but it was still very much usable.

Thanks.

Last year I felt very strongly about iOS7 (still do) and have put up with a lot of flak for voicing my concerns.  For example:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159669/adoption-of-apples-ios-7-at-32-after-48-hours-outpacing-ios-6/120#post_2407543

(read a few posts down from there)

Edited by Bergermeister - 7/25/14 at 9:17am

post #120 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by luinil View Post

Is making a time machine backup and cutting Time machine in Yosemite a sufficient way to backup the system or do I need to make my backup on a separate drive ?

Major backups should always be done on a separate drive. Period. If not and the drive crashes, you're hosed. Hard drives or so cheap now, 3TB for ~$100.

1. I assume you only have one Mac and you want to install Yosemite on it?

2. Do you already have Time Machine running on your current system?

2a. And is that Time Machine backup on an external drive or the internal drive?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store