or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Public beta launch nearly doubles OS X 10.10 Yosemite adoption despite download issues

Public beta launch nearly doubles OS X 10.10 Yosemite adoption despite download issues

post #1 of 86
The share of Mac-based Web traffic generated by Apple's OS X 10.10 Yosemite doubled since the company released a beta version to the public on Thursday, though some users are seeing problems downloading the next-generation operating system.

According to metrics gathered by analytics firm GoSquared, and subsequently picked up by MacRumors, OS X 10.10 Yosemite now accounts for 0.50 percent of all Mac Web traffic as of Friday. The figure is almost double the 0.26 percent seen at the end of Wednesday, when beta access was restricted to developers.

The uptick in adoption may be an indirect barometer of public interest in Apple's upcoming Mac OS, though the numbers could be skewed. Many users have reported a seemingly widespread issue that prevents potential testers from completely downloading the software through the Mac App Store. In most cases, the download trickles in slowly before throwing up an error message reading, "OS X Yosemite Beta 1 failed to download."

A follow-up report from ZDNet confirmed the delays, with journalist Ed Bott saying he attempted to download the beta 22 times without success. Bott notes a number of other would-be Yosemite users were seeing similar issues, many of which took to social media sites like Twitter to voice their concerns.

Apple has yet to establish a dedicated section for Yosemite in its Support Community forums, prompting those having trouble to post on the Mavericks page, which makes sense considering the download is initiated while in the current OS X 10.9 environment.

Bott was finally able to nab a complete copy of Yosemite after switching from Wi-Fi to a hardwired connection, though the alternative procedure may not work for everyone.

Apple's OS X 10.10 Yosemite beta is open to the first one million users who sign up through the official OS X Beta Program website. After entering a valid Apple ID, retrieving a redemption code and successfully downloading the software, participants will be granted access to Yosemite for testing and feedback.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 86
Being that it is a *public* beta, wouldn't that be expected?
post #3 of 86
Download and installation worked for me on first attempt. SimCity seems a tad smoother but Handbrake crashes.
post #4 of 86

My first attempt worked fine, too.

Call me one of the lucky ones.

As to Yosemite... well...  I hope all of these new beta testers, who aren't focusing on their own apps, will provide good feedback to improve this beast before it is released.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #5 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Being that it is a *public* beta, wouldn't that be expected?

You'd think so, but then again Microsoft has a different story to tell about adoption rates of new OS versions, just ask the XP user group . 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #6 of 86

Didn't work for me. 

post #7 of 86

OS X 10.10. It would be awesome if it shipped on Oct 10.

BTW, who was it that kept insisting Apple wouldn't call it 10.10 because that was numerically equal to 10.1?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #8 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But Oct 10th is the same as Oct 1st¡ Seriously though, I don't see Cook waiting or forcing a release to conform to such a date unless it's slated to be ready within a week before that date. It is a Friday; have they released a new OS on a Friday?
Quote:
BTW, who was it that kept insisting Apple wouldn't call it 10.10 because that was numerically equal to 10.1?

There was many.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #9 of 86
Yosemite rocks!!!

The UI looks great and it is already wicked fast.
post #10 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There was many.

There were many.
post #11 of 86

A few versions of OS X ago they added a thing where certain apps (e.g. Preview, Quicktime Player) would automatically quit if they had no open windows. This seems to be gone now, they don't quit unless you command-Q them.

post #12 of 86
Will be taking Yosemite for spin on Monday when I get back to the office and install my beta on a spare 2011 MBP 1cool.gif
post #13 of 86

Maybe Apple would solve the download issues if they'd release it by time zones. I wasn't able to download properly until after 24 hours later. It's always the same every year as with iOS major releases. 

post #14 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But Oct 10th is the same as Oct 1st¡ 

:lol: Very good!

censored

censored

post #15 of 86
I got mine, but haven't installed. All backed up and ready to do so.
post #16 of 86
Downloaded/installed Yosemite with no issues! Yosemite rocks!!!

Apple period!
post #17 of 86
Quote:

How about OS X X.X

post #18 of 86
i waited until Friday and the whole download and install process (on a fresh external drive) took about 22 minutes.

Question for others:
can someone confirm what i am seeing in regards to file-select dialog boxes behaving like Windows?

i.e., when an app asks you to pick a file, dragging & dropping a file into the dialog box (say, from the desktop) now seems to **copy/move** the file to whatever location was open in the dialog box.

previously, dragging & dropping **changed** the dialog box's location to the location of the file dragged & dropped.

this is a detrimental change in my mind.
post #19 of 86

iMessage doesn't seem to work in Yosemite. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

post #20 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post

i waited until Friday and the whole download and install process (on a fresh external drive) took about 22 minutes.

Question for others:
can someone confirm what i am seeing in regards to file-select dialog boxes behaving like Windows?

i.e., when an app asks you to pick a file, dragging & dropping a file into the dialog box (say, from the desktop) now seems to **copy/move** the file to whatever location was open in the dialog box.

previously, dragging & dropping **changed** the dialog box's location to the location of the file dragged & dropped.

this is a detrimental change in my mind.
I've never tried to do that before, but the new behaviour makes much more sense to me.

censored

censored

post #21 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I've never tried to do that before, but the new behaviour makes much more sense to me.

i suppose it depends on what you are doing.

here is my workflow:

skim through images on file server in the finder

drag & drop an image deeply nested onto the open file dialog box in photoshop

photoshop remembers last location for the dialog box, so i can just hit cmd+O in the application to open another of that series.

so when i am in photoshop and am trying to open one of a series of already filed/organized images, i don't what the "open file" dialog box become a "move file" dialog box. i use the finder to organize, the dialog box to open.

post #22 of 86

Just had another session with Yosemite.  Eyes started feeling strange after just five minutes.  I honestly do not know what the problem is; Target Display Mode (no problem with my Mac Pro)? font size? general fuzziness? translucency? lack of contrast?  disbelief at what I was looking at?  However, I forced myself to have a good look, and now thankfully am back on the iMac.  Needed a break and eyedrops first, though.  Seriously.

Just to check, I switched the display over to a cheap 22" 1920x1080 display with very visible pixels.  It actually looked a little better, perhaps because the low quality of the display matched my feelings of the quality of the Yosemite UI.  Yep; I just said that.

I have now spent two hours playing around with Yosemite.  That is all I can take.  I find it unusable.  Will be waiting for an update, but am not going to hold my breath that it will be improved. 

I went through System Prefs, Safari (YUCK), iTunes, Calculator, Calendar, and others.  Some functions I found interesting.  Some things were unfinished.  But the UI was nagging at me the whole time.  The UI should enable use of the machine, not inhibit.

I said it before and will now say it with even stronger conviction: Yosemite is not going on to any of my primary machines unless there is a major UI overhaul.

Edited by Bergermeister - 7/26/14 at 10:26am

post #23 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just had another session with Yosemite.  Eyes started feeling strange after just five minutes.  I honestly do not know what the problem is; font size? general fuzziness? translucency? lack of contrast?  However, I forced myself to have a good look, and now thankfully am back on the iMac.  Needed a break and eyedrops first, though.  Seriously.

Just to check, I switched the display over to a cheap 22" 1920x1080 display.  It actually looked a little better, perhaps because the low quality of the display matched my feelings of the quality of the Yosemite UI.  Yep; I just said that.

I have now spent two hours playing around with Yosemite.  That is all I can take.  I find it unusable.  Will be waiting for an update, but am not going to hold my breath that it will be improved. 

I said it before and will now say it with even stronger conviction: Yosemite is not going on to any of my primary machines unless there is a major UI overhaul.

I bet your blink rate is slowing when you are looking at the new GUI (most likely because you are concentrating on it & its new details more so than the old GUI). It is well established that blink rates slow during periods of concentration, and when blink rates slow, the cornea begins to dry.

Coming from the world of ophthalmology, corneal dryness is one of the biggest reasons for tired, stressed, burning, stinging, strange and so one feelings in the eyes. The cornea is a majority of the refractive power of the eye, and is extremely fluid-sensitive & also extremely pain sensitive (hundreds of times greater pain sensitivity than human skin)

post #24 of 86
Quote:

I bet your blink rate is slowing when you are looking at the new GUI (most likely because you are concentrating on it & its new details more so than the old GUI). It is well established that blink rates slow during periods of concentration, and when blink rates slow, the cornea begins to dry.

Coming from the world of ophthalmology, corneal dryness is one of the biggest reasons for tired, stressed, burning, stinging, strange and so one feelings in the eyes. The cornea is a majority of the refractive power of the eye, and is extremely fluid-sensitive & also extremely pain sensitive (hundreds of times greater pain sensitivity than human skin)

Thanks for the concern, but I have a lot of experience with dry eyes and this feels very different.  I once got a similar feeling when I took a nice photograph and applied a ton of effects to it in Photoshop while just messing around; focus, color balance, many things.  

post #25 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Thanks for the concern, but I have a lot of experience with dry eyes and this feels very different.  I once got a similar feeling when I took a nice photograph and applied a ton of effects to it in Photoshop while just messing around; focus, color balance, many things.  

Interesting, i was using it all day yesterday in the clinic (ophthalmic photography) (27" iMac, late-2013) and didn't notice any fuzziness at all - i was actually quite happy with the quality of the GUI and text in those terms.  I am happy that the fluff and wasted space of the past few versions of OS X are gone/more limited. 

I wonder if it is a GPU driver issue or something similar? 

I've got it installed on an external drive, so i might have to boot it up on some of our older iMacs to see if the appearance differs. 

post #26 of 86
Quote:

Interesting, i was using it all day yesterday in the clinic (ophthalmic photography) (27" iMac, late-2013) and didn't notice any fuzziness at all - i was actually quite happy with the quality of the GUI and text in those terms.  I am happy that the fluff and wasted space of the past few versions of OS X are gone/more limited. 

I wonder if it is a GPU driver issue or something similar? 

I've got it installed on an external drive, so i might have to boot it up on some of our older iMacs to see if the appearance differs. 

The fuzziness could be target display mode from my Mac mini.  I don't know.  The secondary display is fuzzy by default!

It could also be that I find the entire UI unrefined, sorta like iOS7, which I still consider an abomination to the eye.

post #27 of 86

Turning the brightness down helps a lot.

post #28 of 86
Question for anyone who got the public beta ... Did/can you get XCode6 beta 4 too? I ask, because the Xcode beta includes the Swift Language and interactive Swift Playgrounds.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #29 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaFin421 View Post

Downloaded/installed Yosemite with no issues! Yosemite rocks!!!

Apple period!

How can it "rock" when all the new features they demonstrated are not enabled in the Beta?  You cannot test any of the new features because iOS 8 is required on your iOS device, and they do not allow a public beta of that software.  The main features demonstrated will not be available until the software is officially released with iOS 8, so the public beta does not seem worth using or testing.  But hopefully many will give feedback on the awful use of transparency.  The early days of OS X had a large amount of transparency and throughout the years, it was toned down drastically, because overlapping windows bleeding through does not create a good working environment.  Just look at the transparent menu bar, which most people disable.  Random desktops wipe out the menu bar text and it is not consistent with any application, since the apps are not transparent.  Even Microsoft learned their mistake with their Aero theme.

post #30 of 86
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post
iMessage doesn't seem to work in Yosemite. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Works fine.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #31 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How can it "rock" when all the new features they demonstrated are not enabled in the Beta?  You cannot test any of the new features because iOS 8 is required on your iOS device, and they do not allow a public beta of that software.  The main features demonstrated will not be available until the software is officially released with iOS 8, so the public beta does not seem worth using or testing.  But hopefully many will give feedback on the awful use of transparency.  The early days of OS X had a large amount of transparency and throughout the years, it was toned down drastically, because overlapping windows bleeding through does not create a good working environment.  Just look at the transparent menu bar, which most people disable.  Random desktops wipe out the menu bar text and it is not consistent with any application, since the apps are not transparent.  Even Microsoft learned their mistake with their Aero theme.

Of course not all features are working hence the term "beta"...but for what has been released it Rocks! If you've not downloaded it and are not testing it - why are you wasting time commenting?
post #32 of 86

iMessage works (in general) - the only issue I've found thus far is there is an "error" (where Safari suddenly closes) when trying send a link from Safari via iMessage.

post #33 of 86

Adoption and metrics would be reflected as even higher if we could load Yosemite in a Parallels 9 VM...

dano
if it is to be, it is up to me...
dano
if it is to be, it is up to me...
post #34 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

Quote:

How about OS X X.X

I dunno…that looks like OS Twenty-Ten to me...:)

post #35 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

How about OS X X.X
For the hardcore?

censored

censored

post #36 of 86

Its working fine for me on my 2011 Mac Mini, dual display 22".  Nothing fuzzy, even worked on a project last night for a few hours in Illustrator, no tired or strained eyes at all. 

Only problem I've had so far was safari was non responsive after a restart.  

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #37 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Works fine.

Well, so far, it's the only thing that doesn't work as it did before I installed Yosemite. I can't seem to find any way to get it working again. "Works fine" is not the most helpful reply to someone for whom it does not.

post #38 of 86
"Works fine" is not the most helpful reply to someone for whom it does not.

What would you prefer, no answers at all or answers to the negative? You asked.

post #39 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What would you prefer, no answers at all or answers to the negative? You asked.

Wow - so you really are mean to more than just the trolls.

post #40 of 86
Wow - so you really are mean to more than just the trolls.

Come off it. Don’t expect any answers at all next time, then. Just don’t whine that you don’t get anything.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Public beta launch nearly doubles OS X 10.10 Yosemite adoption despite download issues