or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple adds Fox Now, CNBC channels to Apple TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple adds Fox Now, CNBC channels to Apple TV - Page 2

post #41 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

You really don't know who Bonnie and Clyde is?

 

They robbed banks.  But they split the money.  They had an arrangement to compensate for labor.  But that does not make it right.  No one cares about your 'arrangement' with your friend.  Bottom line is you are getting cable access without paying the cable company. PERIOD.  Go ahead call up the cable company and see if they allow what you are doing?  Oh, you won't.  Because you know its illegal.

 

Of course I know who Bonnie and Clyde are.  Your example just isn't applicable.  And it seems that you 'do care' about my arrangement.  My point here wasn't to argue, my point was that Apple TV is awesome and continues to get better, and it has helped me cut the cord and save about $120 per month, overall.

 

I'm not hard up for money.  I'm just not going to pay $120 per month for the few things I watch.

 

Anyway, this is my last comment on the subject :-)  To each his/her own.  My situation works for me and I love that I'll save over $1200 over the next year.  Sharing is caring.  

Later, friend.

post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

 

 

Anyway, this is my last comment on the subject :-)  To each his/her own.  My situation works for me and I love that I'll save $1200 + per month over the next year.  STEALING is caring.  

Later, friend.

 

corrected for you.

 

Anyway, just trying to help you out.  But seems like your moral compass is so broken you can't see the obvious.

 

And it makes it worse that you can easily afford to pay the cable company.  I would have more pity for someone who is dirt poor and cannot simply afford it.  But you can.  And instead pass the bill to all the honest subscribers.  You are like that rich guy who goes into the grocery store and steals candy bars.  Flatout stupid.  He has the money to afford it yet does it anyway.  $1200 a year is ALOT of candy bars.


Edited by sog35 - 7/29/14 at 10:34am
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #43 of 88

While I completely agree that the interface needs an overhaul, I say the more the merrier Apple. For cost reasons, my wife and I have finally cut the cord and will be relying on over the air channels and Apple TV. I can use my parents credentials to log in to the apps that require it and a Netflix sub will cover us for binge watching.

post #44 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post
 

While I completely agree that the interface needs an overhaul, I say the more the merrier Apple. For cost reasons, my wife and I have finally cut the cord and will be relying on over the air channels and Apple TV. I can use my parents credentials to log in to the apps that require it and a Netflix sub will cover us for binge watching.

 

So many cheapskate thieves.  No wonder my cable bill is getting higher every year

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #45 of 88
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
Your example just isn't applicable.


It’s perfectly applicable. You’re breaking the law, as well as the contract your friend signed for service in the first place. If discovered, the account will be terminated and legal action could be taken.

 
I'm not hard up for money.  I'm just not going to pay $120 per month for the few things I watch. 

 

Wow. Then... maybe you don’t get to watch them? Seems like a pretty simple concept to grasp.

 
Sharing is caring.

 

Enjoy sharing that prison cell with Bubba B. Bubbington the 3rd.

post #46 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

No problem.  I certainly hope you don't use any friends' wifi, do you?

 

Even though I'm no fan of the cable companies, I have to agree with sog35 here.

 

Using a friend's WiFi is not the same as sharing an online cable account.  Let me clarify the scenario a bit:

 

When you get a wireless router from your ISP, they give you permission to share your internet connection with any number of devices in the same household.  The same goes for your cable TV package: you are allowed to watch cable on any number of TVs/devices in the same household.

 

The problem is that you are not in the same household as your friend.  Thus, by using their cable TV account, you are violating the terms of service for the cable provider (one TV connection per household).  What you're doing is akin to tapping into your neighbour's cable line and splitting it into your house (which is illegal).

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

So many cheapskate thieves.  No wonder my cable bill is getting higher every year

 

I honestly think that the vast majority of people just aren't aware that what they're doing is illegal because it's so easy to do nowadays (and no one bothers to read the terms of service).

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #48 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

I honestly think that the vast majority of people just aren't aware that what they're doing is illegal because it's so easy to do nowadays (and no one bothers to read the terms of service).

 

They know.  The guy on this thread got all the facts and he still chooses to steal.

 

Anyone with half a brain knows you don't get cable for free.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #49 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Even though I'm no fan of the cable companies, I have to agree with sog35 here.

Using a friend's WiFi is not the same as sharing an online cable account.  Let me clarify the scenario a bit:

When you get a wireless router from your ISP, they give you permission to share your internet connection with any number of devices in the same household.  The same goes for your cable TV package: you are allowed to watch cable on any number of TVs/devices in the same household.

The problem is that you are not in the same household as your friend.  Thus, by using their cable TV account, you are violating the terms of service for the cable provider (one TV connection per household).  What you're doing is akin to tapping into your neighbour's cable line and splitting it into your house (which is illegal).

How about this scenario? Most cable companies offer free outdoor wifi. So if you're able to use your friend's wifi at home would it be wrong to also use the outdoor wifi?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #50 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So many cheapskate thieves.  No wonder my cable bill is getting higher every year
I use my parents Comcast login for Watch ESPN because Disney doesn't have an agreement with DirecTV.

I wish Apple TV had a universal login so you only has to validate your cable info once.
post #51 of 88

Something is cooking...

post #52 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 


It’s perfectly applicable. You’re breaking the law, as well as the contract your friend signed for service in the first place. If discovered, the account will be terminated and legal action could be taken.

 

Wow. Then... maybe you don’t get to watch them? Seems like a pretty simple concept to grasp.

 

Enjoy sharing that prison cell with Bubba B. Bubbington the 3rd.

 

His example did not fit.  My friend and I didn't decide to go to the local cable company and steal a box, then splitting access.  My example was better; Bonnie has a bank account and chooses to share her money or safety deposit box with me.  See?

 

And yeah, I COULD torrent some of the shows.  I choose not to.  The simple concept to grasp is that my friend shares her programming with me.

post #53 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

Even though I'm no fan of the cable companies, I have to agree with sog35 here.

 

Using a friend's WiFi is not the same as sharing an online cable account.  Let me clarify the scenario a bit:

 

When you get a wireless router from your ISP, they give you permission to share your internet connection with any number of devices in the same household.  The same goes for your cable TV package: you are allowed to watch cable on any number of TVs/devices in the same household.

 

The problem is that you are not in the same household as your friend.  Thus, by using their cable TV account, you are violating the terms of service for the cable provider (one TV connection per household).  What you're doing is akin to tapping into your neighbour's cable line and splitting it into your house (which is illegal).

 

I don't agree.  If your neighbor has wifi and offers you to use his/her network, is it stealing from the ISP?  Not at all.

post #54 of 88
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

The simple concept to grasp is that my friend shares her programming with me.


Illegally.

 

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I don't agree.  If your neighbor has wifi and offers you to use his/her network, is it stealing from the ISP?  Not at all.

 

Yes, 100% it is, and it’s also against every ToS of every ISP.

post #55 of 88
Original by digital clips:

"Leaving aside the use of someone else's credentials, I had no idea you could run an Apple TV using OTA antennae. How does that work? I must be missing something here in the AD conversion area."

Has nothing to do with Analog to Digital conversion. Just purchase a state-of-the-art HD TV antenna and attach it to your HD TV. You get all of the local broadcast content over the air and much better quality than you get via cable.

Why? Cable providers have to supply TV, Phone and Internet via 1 cable. OTA HD is pure digital and the channel is 100% devoted to transmission of the content.

If the crap that overwhelms Cable is of no use to you, you can forget cable by adding an AppleTV or Roku to you setup and pay only for what you watch.

After my latest Comcast billing fiasco I am seriously investigating this alternative.
post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

While I'm happy to have more content on ATV, channel navigation is getting out of hand ... The ATV couldn't be farther from Steve Jobs claims of having "cracked" the TV problem. Unless this is what Jobs had in mind, in which case he clearly "cracked" his head.

Apple needs to get serious about this before they add many more channels ...

 

OBVIOUSLY the interface and functionality is going to be completely revamped. However, the addition of content and partners is a separate issue, and I'm glad Apple continues to plot forward with this, with Apple TV becoming more content heavy by the day. I'm sure this will assist whatever strategy they have for it in the future, the current UI is just temporary and in a holding pattern until that is fully worked out. 

post #57 of 88
Don't care if access to these services require a cable subscription. The cable companies fighting tooth and nail to keep their local monopolies.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #58 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

While I'm happy to have more content on ATV, channel navigation is getting out of hand ... The ATV couldn't be farther from Steve Jobs claims of having "cracked" the TV problem. Unless this is what Jobs had in mind, in which case he clearly "cracked" his head.

Apple needs to get serious about this before they add many more channels ...

Please.
Nobody claimed ATV was Steve cracking it. AppleTV pre-dates the appearance of that quote in Isaacson's biography by several years. Everyone assumed at the time it was a reference to a rumor that Apple was planning to sell a TV.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

So many cheapskate thieves.  No wonder my cable bill is getting higher every year

Cancel yours too. They can't raise prices if no one is paying them.

post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post
 

Cancel yours too. They can't raise prices if no one is paying them.

 

Actually my prices have not gone up in 7 years.

 

I just like to say that line because its true for most people.  Most consumers pay for the theft of a few.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #61 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Enjoy sharing that prison cell with Bubba B. Bubbington the 3rd.

Where on the moral compass do I find rape jokes?

 

You're all just shills for The Man! I just torrent the hell out of everything. COME AT ME BRO! REVOLUTION!

 

post #62 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Actually my prices have not gone up in 7 years.

 

I just like to say that line because its true for most people.  Most consumers pay for the theft of a few.

That's what I thought. We just can't afford cable anymore and my parents don't use their digital log in so as far as I'm concerned, it's not any different than if they were using it themselves. I just don't feel bad "ripping off" a monopoly like Comcast.

post #63 of 88
Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post
Where on the moral compass do I find rape jokes?

 

I’m surprised at you, sir! The Bubbington family is one of the wealthiest on the western eastern seaboard, and are of upstanding physical character.

 

Bubba the 3rd is in prison for embezzlement of company funds. White collar crime.

 

Hey, I didn’t say moral character.

post #64 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

....on the western eastern seaboard...

On the what? It's a miracle that they were even able to find him.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #65 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

I don't agree.  If your neighbor has wifi and offers you to use his/her network, is it stealing from the ISP?  Not at all.

 

It is based on their terms of service.  One connection per household -- is that so hard to grasp?

 

I _get_ the fact that you're trying to "stick it to the man" and don't believe in anything.  However, the law will not agree with you if/when the time comes to defend your position.

 

On a side note: if you take that position, then you shouldn't expect other people to pay for anything you create/provide if/when you actually decide to contribute something to society.  Everyone lives long enough to reap what they sow.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #66 of 88
I wouldn't touch either with Ted Cruz's 10mm pole.
post #67 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

It is based on their terms of service.  One connection per household -- is that so hard to grasp?

 

I _get_ the fact that you're trying to "stick it to the man" and don't believe in anything.  However, the law will not agree with you if/when the time comes to defend your position.

 

On a side note: if you take that position, then you shouldn't expect other people to pay for anything you create/provide if/when you actually decide to contribute something to society.  Everyone lives long enough to reap what they sow.

 

I'm not a "stick it to the man" kind of guy, actually.  I also love how you say "if/when you actually decide to contribute something to society." Quite a presumption on your part, but I won't take it personally since you don't know me nor what I contribute :-)  

And on that note, I am finished with this thread.  I do appreciate the feedback and your (and others') position on the subject.   I just disagree and I'm enjoying saving $.  Peace.

post #68 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post
 

That's what I thought. We just can't afford cable anymore and my parents don't use their digital log in so as far as I'm concerned, it's not any different than if they were using it themselves. I just don't feel bad "ripping off" a monopoly like Comcast.

 

So is cable all of a sudden a God given right?  If you can't afford it you have the right to steal it?

 

So just because they are a monopoly its okay to steal from them?

Do you also steal from your electric company?  They are a monopoly too.

 

If you can't afford cable and must have it go live with your parents.

There is no excuse for stealing.  Unless you are dying. 

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #69 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

I'm not a "stick it to the man" kind of guy, actually.  I also love how you say "if/when you actually decide to contribute something to society." Quite a presumption on your part, but I won't take it personally since you don't know me nor what I contribute :-)  

 

That's good to know.  Now consider that a whole bunch of people have found a way to get out of paying you for whatever you create/do (based on whatever terms of sale or service you set).  That's exactly what you're doing with internet/cable service.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

 

I'm not a "stick it to the man" kind of guy, actually.  I also love how you say "if/when you actually decide to contribute something to society." Quite a presumption on your part, but I won't take it personally since you don't know me nor what I contribute :-)  

And on that note, I am finished with this thread.  I do appreciate the feedback and your (and others') position on the subject.   I just disagree and I'm enjoying STEALING $.  Peace.

 

Corrected for you.

 

Some day you will get something stolen from you and you will understand....

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

So is cable all of a sudden a God given right?  If you can't afford it you have the right to steal it?

 

So just because they are a monopoly its okay to steal from them?

Do you also steal from your electric company?  They are a monopoly too.

 

If you can't afford cable and must have it go live with your parents.

There is no excuse for stealing.  Unless you are dying. 

Haha alright.  When/if the cable companies stop trying to play hard ball with everyone and offer up things the way they should be, they'll get my money again. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my free tv and let you enjoy your bill.

post #72 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post
 

Haha alright.  When/if the cable companies stop trying to play hard ball with everyone and offer up things the way they should be, they'll get my money again. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my free tv and let you enjoy your bill.

 

You should get a real job and then you would be able to afford paying your bills.

 

Till then you should live with Mom & Dad and enjoy free cable.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #73 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

You should get a real job and then you would be able to afford paying your bills.

 

Till then you should live with Mom & Dad and enjoy free cable.

I'll work on that "real job" I don't have. In the meantime, I won't pay for tv and you will and since your bill hasn't changed for 7 years, it won't affect you at all.

post #74 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post
 

I'll work on that "real job" I don't have. In the meantime, I won't pay for tv and you will and since your bill hasn't changed for 7 years, it won't affect you at all.

 

you dont have a job and live on your own?

 

why? go back to the nest man.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #75 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

you dont have a job and live on your own?

 

why? go back to the nest man.

You don't get sarcasm and you're on the internet on your own?

 

Why? Go back to the library man.

post #76 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post
 

I'll work on that "real job" I don't have. In the meantime, I won't pay for tv and you will and since your bill hasn't changed for 7 years, it won't affect you at all.

 

Maybe he/she works for a cable TV company.  In which case, if/when they lose their job due to people finding ways to steal cable, it will affect them and their family.

 

Look, I'm a cord-cutter too.  However, I do pay for the shows I watch in other ways (a la carte, Netflix, etc).  It's fine if you don't want to pay for cable because you don't like their terms of service, but it's theft if you still watch the shows and don't pay via other means.  Unless they are broadcast for free OTA (I have a digital antenna as well).


Edited by auxio - 7/29/14 at 2:35pm
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #77 of 88
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
...you dont know me nor what I contribute :-)  

 

I know you don’t contribute to following the law, paying your bills, or keeping everyone else’s low.

 
And on that note, I am finished with this thread.

 

Ah, the good old “I’m leaving, therefore I’m right.” Which you said before but ignored.

 
I just disagree and I'm enjoying stealing

 

Screw you, thief.

post #78 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

Maybe he/she works for a cable TV company.  In which case, if/when they lose their job due to people finding ways to steal cable, it will affect them and their family.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

 

Maybe he/she works for a cable TV company.  In which case, if/when they lose their job due to people finding ways to steal cable, it will affect them and their family.

 

Look, I'm a cord-cutter too.  However, I do pay for the shows I watch in other ways (a la carte, Netflix, etc).  It's fine if you don't want to pay for cable because you don't like their terms of service, but it's theft if you still watch the shows and don't pay via other means.  Unless they are broadcast for free OTA (I have a digital antenna as well).

I am going with an OTA plan using a digital antenna. The log in credentials with the Apple TV are really more of a backup plan than anything. I'd gladly do an a la carte channel system through my Apple TV but no one bothers to give me that option. I'm also a big fan of the way CW does it with their app. I can watch full episodes of Arrow and Flash but they make me watch a lot more commercials than I would if I was paying for tv. That's a trade I'm willing to make.

post #79 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

you dont have a job and live on your own?

why? go back to the nest man.

You just can't contain that 15 yr old, can you? lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #80 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

I am going with an OTA plan using a digital antenna. The log in credentials with the Apple TV are really more of a backup plan than anything. I'd gladly do an a la carte channel system through my Apple TV but no one bothers to give me that option. I'm also a big fan of the way CW does it with their app. I can watch full episodes of Arrow and Flash but they make me watch a lot more commercials than I would if I was paying for tv. That's a trade I'm willing to make.

You don't need a 'plan' for the OTA channels if you're getting them via a antenna.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple adds Fox Now, CNBC channels to Apple TV