or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple references unannounced 'mid-2014' Mac mini in Support Pages document

Apple references unannounced 'mid-2014' Mac mini in Support Pages document

post #1 of 142
In an update to a support document regarding Boot Camp compatibility on Monday, Apple added reference to an as-yet-unannounced "mid-2014" Mac mini, suggesting the company is -- or was -- planning a long overdue refresh of its smallest desktop offering.

As Apple plows through its annual hardware refresh cycle with tweaked iMacs, MacBook Airs and today's MacBook Pro with Retina display, the Mac mini remains untouched since October 2012, when Apple upgraded the computer's CPUs to then-current Intel Ivy Bridge silicon.

A support document modified on Monday, however, made reference to a mid-2014 Mac mini. As seen in the above screenshot of a web-cached version of the document, the supposed mid-2014 Mac mini uses Boot Camp 5 to support 64-bit versions of Microsoft's Windows 8 and Windows 7.

The latest build of Boot Camp 5 -- version 5.1.5640 -- requires current Mac hardware released no earlier than the start of 2013. It should be noted that Boot Camp version 5.1.5621 supports Macs down to 2011 and it is unclear which build Apple suggested for use with the 2014 Mac mini.

While the addition of an unannounced refreshed Mac mini to a support document suggests Apple may be working on an overhaul, it can just as easily be assumed that the post was updated by mistake. With the MacBook Pro with Retina display lineup receiving its mid-2014 refresh today, Apple may have inadvertently modified the Boot Camp document in error, instead meaning to add the new Retina MacBooks to the list.

Popular with a niche audience, the Mac mini has seemingly fallen by the wayside as stronger sellers like the iMac, Mac Pro and MacBook lineup continue to expand their capabilities. There is still a market for the Mac mini, as seen in multiple online forums including numerous active threads on Apple's own Support Communities forum, though the company has been slow to upgrade the tiny desktop with new internals.
post #2 of 142
Don't get my hopes up.

I am anxiously awaiting a Haswell quad core mini with Iris Pro graphics.
post #3 of 142
Just as I was about to have my employer pull the trigger on a 2012 model for my office (I've been holding out with a 2007 iMac for over six years now), this rumor pops up. I hope this comes soon!
post #4 of 142
Uh-oh. Mac mini refresh complainers will have to find something else to complain about.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 142

How about a working driver for the Radeon 4870, Apple? Since ATI refuses to make one, that is.

post #6 of 142
The Mini is popular where you need a Mac but it's not your primary machine. It's perfect for iOS development/cross-development (eg with monogame/xamarin) and is reasonably powerful enough and portable enough to be used as a HTPC or taken to convention settings when there is power available.

That said, the lack of OS X on more capable desktop/laptop hardware is often a deciding factor in what Mac or PC someone buys. I'm not terribly fond of the Apple Laptop designs, as I feel they are overly compromised (eg the macmini 2012 is more capable than all the 2014 13" Retina Macbook Pro and Macbook Air's), versus the desktops which undoubtly beat the mini. The Iris Pro graphics doesn't make up for the weaker dual-core designs.

I have a desktop Windows machine that I'd drop in a heartbeat if I could get the same specs in a Macmini. It won't happen. The mini gets relegated to be development/backup system while the windows machine gets to be the primary development/steam-games system.

OS X, is a wonderful OS, but it's only available on weak systems, systems that because of Intel Graphics have not been terribly capable. This problem extends to the new Mac Pro in that the graphics can never be upgraded.
post #7 of 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is Haswell realistic for a mid-2014 release or are you waiting for something next year?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #8 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Uh-oh. Mac mini refresh complainers will have to find something else to complain about.

I hope so. This is crow I want to feast on unquestionably. The time to start saving is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about a working driver for the Radeon 4870, Apple? Since ATI refuses to make one, that is.

Shhh...only AMD now.

post #9 of 142
It better be soon because we're already in late mid-2014
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #10 of 142

The same page also references Mid 2014 iMac models:  both 21.5" and 27".  Although we know of the neutered 21.5" model, nothing has been announced about a new 27" model.  Are they all getting a bump soon?

post #11 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It better be soon because we're already in late mid-2014

When is the cut off? End of August making 3 four-month sections for early-, mid-, and late-year?

post #12 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

When is the cut off? End of August making 3 four-month sections for early-, mid-, and late-year?

Well the exact middle was almost a month ago, so yes I'd say until the end of August., then September would be the start of 'late' .
post #13 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

The Mini is popular where you need a Mac but it's not your primary machine. It's perfect for iOS development/cross-development (eg with monogame/xamarin) and is reasonably powerful enough and portable enough to be used as a HTPC or taken to convention settings when there is power available.

That said, the lack of OS X on more capable desktop/laptop hardware is often a deciding factor in what Mac or PC someone buys. I'm not terribly fond of the Apple Laptop designs, as I feel they are overly compromised (eg the macmini 2012 is more capable than all the 2014 13" Retina Macbook Pro and Macbook Air's), versus the desktops which undoubtly beat the mini. The Iris Pro graphics doesn't make up for the weaker dual-core designs.

I have a desktop Windows machine that I'd drop in a heartbeat if I could get the same specs in a Macmini. It won't happen. The mini gets relegated to be development/backup system while the windows machine gets to be the primary development/steam-games system.

OS X, is a wonderful OS, but it's only available on weak systems, systems that because of Intel Graphics have not been terribly capable. This problem extends to the new Mac Pro in that the graphics can never be upgraded.

By someone, you mean you.  And you represent 0.1% of mac buying public.  Not a market Apple has to service and maintain mac viability.

post #14 of 142
Quote:

Don't get my hopes up.

"Life is pain, princess. . . anyone who says differently is selling something."

post #15 of 142
That's dumb. Why make a "mid" without a "late"? That's not like Apple.
post #16 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

That's dumb. Why make a "mid" without a "late"? That's not like Apple.

Huh? That is very Apple. You could just call it the year Mac for the ones that only had one update that year but every now and then they do have more than one release in a year so they use that for all of them. Plus it helps isolate how long it's been available more than just saying, say, 2013, when late-2013 would be less than a year and early-2013 would mean it's well over a year old.

post #17 of 142
Quote:

The MacBook Air is perfect for iOS development, too. You mention about lack of hardware capabilities on the MacBook range, but it's for iOS development? You realise the hardware requirements for that line of work are minimal, right?

And how are they compromised? It is totally situational. For myself, the speed benefit I get on PCIe based flash outperforms, for the work I'm doing, a Mac Mini any day. (Unless of course, it had the same hardware).

Mac's are not weak, by any means. They are extremely capable. There are just Mac's for a full range of capabilties. High end video editing, 3D modelling, and number crunching are all extremely smooth on the high end Retina Pro's, and the Mac Pro, too.

Also, I'm not sure where you are reading about your misinformation, but the graphics cards on the Mac Pro can be upgraded, just like the CPU, RAM, and Flash sticks.

post #18 of 142

All together now...Glory, Glory Hallelujah!....

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #19 of 142
Quote:

Don't get my hopes up.

I just got a seriously large Amazon gift card so the desire to get a Mini has revived itself. Better come quick as I have some shop tools I have an eye on.
post #20 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You seem to imply that complaining about the lack of a Mini upgrade is unjustified. Fact is it is a rational response to Apples neglect.
post #21 of 142

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, do not ruin this machine too by making it a little thinner and removing functionality and upgradability.   It is small enough, just put Haswell in it and thunderbolt 2.  Leave the form factor and functionality.

You have enough money Apple, don't take another money grab by forcing everyone to buy your WAY WAY WAY overpriced upgrades.

post #22 of 142
Quote:

The Mini is a lot better than you are implying. With a modern Intel chip it would be very competitive given the excellent OpenCL performance of the Iris GPUs.
Quote:
The Mini is excellent for what it is, what Apple needs is a Midrange desktop that sits between the Mini and the Mac Pro performance and price wise. In fact I've been saying this for some time. I can see putting the Mini to use in a number of ways that don't involve being a primary machine. The Mini isnt a problem it is rather the missing midrange machine that makes Apple line up look pathetic.
Quote:
It is very easy to build a no name machine that will run circles around a Mini. That isn't relevant as it is Small Form Factor machine and as such should be judged against other small form factor machines.
Quote:
OS X, is a wonderful OS, but it's only available on weak systems, systems that because of Intel Graphics have not been terribly capable.
The IMac isn't bad performance wise if you an stomach an all in one. However SFF machines have never been noted for GPU performance so I don't know why you even bring the Mini up in that context.
Quote:
This problem extends to the new Mac Pro in that the graphics can never be upgraded.

You assume it can't be upgraded but the video cards in a Mac Pro are socketed. Beyond that it really doesn't make sense to upgrade a machine like the Mac Pro any more. Especially considering that the video cards can often be the largest part of a Mac Pro investment.
post #23 of 142
Quote:

Is Haswell realistic for a mid-2014 release or are you waiting for something next year?
Haswell, not Broadwell. The current mini still has Ivy Bridge and HD4000! Need more than that.
post #24 of 142
This is the most exciting rumor/news in a while. Hopefully it's not a typo.
post #25 of 142
And for those that just don't underatand, there will never be a "mid range" tower in between the mini and the Mac pro. Price wise, it would undercut the iMac and Apple would much much much rather sell you one of those.
post #26 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

[...] just put Haswell in it and thunderbolt 2.

And Iris.

And PCIe flash storage.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #27 of 142
Quote:

I use a Mac mini as my primary Mac. So does my dad. They're more capable than most think. 

Nobody ever said the graphics card in the MacPro could never be upgraded. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #28 of 142
Quote:

Haswell Iris Pro performs like the Nvidia 650m, which is not bad at all.  Its would be fine for something like the mini.  I am sure Apple could target the $499 price tag if it wanted to.

The GPU's in the mac pro runs circle around any gamers GPU in CAD/ video editing. Since those GPU can handle 4k I dont see the need for pro's to upgrade the GPU's for the expected lifespan of the machine. The mac pro GPU'S still perform like a GTX 780 even for gaming, but for that used this mac is very expensive compare to what a windows gamer PC would cost.

Edited by herbapou - 7/29/14 at 5:43pm
post #29 of 142
Quote:

Huh? That is very Apple. You could just call it the year Mac for the ones that only had one update that year but every now and then they do have more than one release in a year so they use that for all of them. Plus it helps isolate how long it's been available more than just saying, say, 2013, when late-2013 would be less than a year and early-2013 would mean it's well over a year old.

I must admit I have never fathomed the US versions of when summer, late summer, fall, winter etc. occur ... my wife and I often have words about this (she is a native born Yank). To me it's simple, the year is in four quarters, divided by the summer and winter solstices and the spring and autumn equinoxes, nothing to do with labor day, wearing white not wearing white or memorial day or whatever else US marketing has cooked up
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #30 of 142
Quote:

The nMac Pro may seem like it is un-upgradeable (if that's a word) and that's partially true at the moment but it comes apart in seconds and everything can be swapped out easily. The question is when will affordable parts be available? Hopefully next year. I for one am waiting for a 1 TB PCIe SSD which currently isn't available even from Apple. But a weak system? Tell my nMac pro that as it chews through 4K video with multiple effects in real time as if it were 640 x 480 NTSC 1smoking.gif Try that on your typical top of the line PC.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #31 of 142

Oh please let it be true, only so I can stop hearing all the complaining.

post #32 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

They'll just find something else to complain about.1wink.gif
post #33 of 142
M
Quote:

I think you should consider building a hackintosh
post #34 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I must admit I have never fathomed the US versions of when summer, late summer, fall, winter etc. occur ... my wife and I often have words about this (she is a native born Yank). To me it's simple, the year is in four quarters, divided by the summer and winter solstices and the spring and autumn equinoxes, nothing to do with labor day, wearing white not wearing white or memorial day or whatever else US marketing has cooked up

But us Americans, we not so good at science and reality.  Equinox ... solstice...  ain't that some pagan thing?  Money is our God.

8-)

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #35 of 142
Quote:

The nMac Pro may seem like it is un-upgradeable (if that's a word) and that's partially true at the moment but it comes apart in seconds and everything can be swapped out easily. The question is when will affordable parts be available? Hopefully next year. I for one am waiting for a 1 TB PCIe SSD which currently isn't available even from Apple. But a weak system? Tell my nMac pro that as it chews through 4K video with multiple effects in real time as if it were 640 x 480 NTSC 1smoking.gif Try that on your typical top of the line PC.

And it does that almost silently.

post #36 of 142
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
But us Americans, we not so good at science and reality.  Equinox ... solstice...  ain't that some pagan thing?

The easiest way to tell time is to just leave an egg on your windowsill all year. If you wake up and it’s magically standing on end, you know it’s the...

...wait, do people pretend that happens on solstices or equinoxes? CURSE YOU, WINDOWSILL EGG!

post #37 of 142
Quote:

Try that on your typical top of the line PC.

We run Avid Nitris on HP hardware. No problem with horsepower or speed at all.

I threatened to quit if they tried switching Pro Tools to Windows, but not because the HP workstations are inadequate. They're not.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #38 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Even if it were true and happened, there would still be plenty of complaining.

post #39 of 142
Quote:

In this house two Minis  have been our  main computer, starting at the G4 and now at the C2D 2.0 model.

We aren't SW developers, nor do we play action games.

Our Macs do our general computing, Office docs Web browsing, Email, photos and the occasional movie.

An iMac or MacBook aren't in our current plans, we  have tablets and new upgraded Mini is being waited for.

The Mini is currently small enough for us,  just sits beside the display.

So Apple lets have the upgraded Mini,  it's long overdue !

post #40 of 142
The live document is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

and the cached version is here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

It's nice that they are continuing to support Windows 7 64-bit so people don't have to deal with Windows 8.

The two unannounced models are Mac Mini and 27" iMac both noted as mid 2014. I doubt it's a typo given that both those models were changed. The MBP box still hasn't been updated in the live one but that's probably because Tim Cook just gave whoever was responsible for the mistake a prolonged energy bar munching silent dressing down from which they have to recover.

If products are updated in October, that counts as late 2014 so the Mac Mini and 27" iMac will have to be updated in the next 8 weeks. They've done Mac updates at the iOS event in September so if there's to be a Retina iMac, they might show it off there and the Mini will get a silent drag along update to the Haswell refresh chips.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple references unannounced 'mid-2014' Mac mini in Support Pages document