or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Another Apple page briefly mentioned mysterious 'mid-2014' 27-inch iMac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another Apple page briefly mentioned mysterious 'mid-2014' 27-inch iMac

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
Apple may have accidentally tipped its hand on two imminent hardware releases this week, with support pages from the company referencing both new Mac mini and 27-inch iMac models listed with a "mid-2014" launch.




A reference to an updated Mac mini was first discovered on Tuesday, and French site ConsoMac chimed in on Wednesday with a separate mention of a mid-2014 iMac. Like the Mac mini, the reference was included in a chart detailing which versions of Microsoft Windows are compatible with Apple hardware.

Other than that, nothing is known about the mid-2014 iMac, such as internal specifications or screen resolution. Customers have been clamoring for a revamped iMac with a high-resolution Retina display for some time, but there has been no concrete evidence that such an update is imminent.

Apple's page has since been updated, but a Google cache still shows a reference to two new iMac models in 2014.

The company did introduce a new low-end model last month with MacBook Air components. That new 21.5-inch iMac reached a lower starting price of $1,099, a savings of $200 off the next nearest model in the same size.



But the 27-inch iMac has not seen an update yet this year. It's currently available in two default configurations: A model with a 3.2-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and a gigabyte of video memory for $1,799, and a higher end 3.4-gigahertz Intel core i5 model with twice the video memory for $1,999.

While Apple's new 2014 low-cost iMac was rumored before its launch, there have been no such indications of an impending refresh for the 27-inch variety before the listing appeared on the company's website. The same goes for the Mac mini, which hasn't seen an update in two years.

As such, it's possible that both references may have been errors on the company's part. Or it could be a rare slip-up for Apple, which is known for its legendary secrecy regarding future product plans.
post #2 of 53
4K iMac here we come?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

4K iMac here we come?

I am hoping the same thing!
post #4 of 53
4K Mac mini here we come? 1smile.gif

Seriously, I can't wait for the new Mac Mini to come out.
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatomic View Post

4K Mac mini here we come? 1smile.gif

Seriously, I can't wait for the new Mac Mini to come out.

I personally think every Mac mini should have Apple TV built in, plus a digital TV signal (over the air) tuner card.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


I personally think every Mac mini should have Apple TV built in, plus a digital TV signal (over the air) tuner card.

 

Would love this.  Or even just build a DVR and OTA tuner card right into ATV.  One menu to rule them all.

post #7 of 53

Sounds to me like a forthcoming processor speed bump, and maybe a base RAM bump, similar to this week's MBP minor upgrade.

 

I'd like to see both a retina iMac display and the corresponding 27" freestanding cinema display, but it's not clear that Apple is ready for that yet. There are potential prices issues: a well optioned 27" iMac already runs about $3K (we have 5 of them).

post #8 of 53
IMO anything 4K from Apple will be announced at an event, not via silent update or press release only. Apple for sure will have a couple events this fall and I have to believe it will be more than just new iPhones and iPads.
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

 

Would love this.  Or even just build a DVR and OTA tuner card right into ATV.  One menu to rule them all.

You need several TerraBytes worth of disk space to make a DVR worthwhile - my TiVo has a 3TB HD, my EyeTV setup on the MacPro a 4TB drive.  

 

The AppleTV is out of the question, the current model has 8GB storage, that is not enough for a single 1 hour recording.  Even with the MacMini you would need an external HD for it to be practical... Also a single tuner, while better than nothing isn't practical vs. 6 tuners on the TiVo.

post #10 of 53
Serious question... How much engineering work would go into a "simple" upgrade of the Mac mini? Same form factor just something along the same processor/memory upgrades we would have seen in the 2012-2013 iMac or would expect in a 2013-204 iMac refresh?
post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Serious question... How much engineering work would go into a "simple" upgrade of the Mac mini? Same form factor just something along the same processor/memory upgrades we would have seen in the 2012-2013 iMac or would expect in a 2013-204 iMac refresh?

 

Probably not a lot, especially since chips are putting out less and less heat so there's less stress on the cooling system and they don't require as much power. Now cost? That may be an issue. I'm not sure what the cost difference is between a dual-core i5 and a quad-core i5 like whats in the iMac. I'm not sure if they could use a quad-core i5, still sell it at $599 (USD) and make the profit they want on it. They do sell a quad-core i7 Mac mini and a Mac mini server with the quad-core i7, but those are higher price points. I think the issue simply comes down to cost and not engineering or power. 

 

The lack of a Mac mini update either means they're going to permanently EOL it, or there's a major update coming for it. In the recent history of the Mac mini, it hasn't been updated very much.  

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I personally think every Mac mini should have Apple TV built in, plus a digital TV signal (over the air) tuner card.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that tuner card. It would negate a major point of the ATV, being those apps. Don't see apple confusing that front.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #13 of 53

Please be true.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #14 of 53
Seriously, Apple could increase Mac sales by merely getting on the same predictable upgrade/refresh path as iOS. I have been ready to trade in my 2009 iMac for a while now, but don't want to miss an important bump up. There must be a lot of us out there waiting for a reason to give Apple our money. As someone else said earlier, how hard is it to improve an existing form factor at least? Leaving money on the table, Apple.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

The lack of a Mac mini update either means they're going to permanently EOL it, or there's a major update coming for it. In the recent history of the Mac mini, it hasn't been updated very much.

AI has notoriously called for the Mac mini's EOL because of the long delays in updates. Because of its low volume and low cost, which I equate to also being a low margin, entry-level machine Apple has little motivation to update this machine often. I don't think it's going anywhere and could see a major change to the internals, like PCIe-SSD over the 2.5" drive, but I can also see them maintaining the 2.5" drive design for a couple more year, as well.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm not sure what the cost difference is between a dual-core i5 and a quad-core i5 like whats in the iMac. I'm not sure if they could use a quad-core i5, still sell it at $599 (USD) and make the profit they want on it.
Why not just offer the better CPU as BTO option--let the consumer decide the price he is willing to pay?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Why not just offer the better CPU as BTO option--let the consumer decide the price he is willing to pay?

If it was the same socket and removable that might be an inexpensive option but they have to build these before hand. If they don't think the unit sales would warrant the expense then they won't do it. How many Mac minis are being sold a quarter?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


I personally think every Mac mini should have Apple TV built in, plus a digital TV signal (over the air) tuner card.

plus a beer spigot...

and a pretzel warmer

and a... pony.

post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

4K iMac here we come?



This obviously the small screen version. 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

plus a beer spigot...
and a pretzel warmer
and a... pony.

It's not unreasonable to expect greater entertainment options in a consumer-centric computer like the iMac. A DVR or digital TV tuner would fit the profile.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


This obviously the small screen version. 1biggrin.gif

Make that base 1/2 the height and we've got something.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


Why not just offer the better CPU as BTO option--let the consumer decide the price he is willing to pay?

 

Because each CPU has to align with the engineering.  Apple's tolerances for heat and power are a bit more exacting.   We don't want 40 flavors of 'broke-@ss' systems.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Seriously, Apple could increase Mac sales by merely getting on the same predictable upgrade/refresh path as iOS. I have been ready to trade in my 2009 iMac for a while now, but don't want to miss an important bump up. There must be a lot of us out there waiting for a reason to give Apple our money. As someone else said earlier, how hard is it to improve an existing form factor at least? Leaving money on the table, Apple.

Seriously, a mobile device has a 1.75 year half life and 'One... Biillllion' potential customers.   A desktop has a 4 year half life, and 10Million potential customers.   

 

Those that post to AI are likely the smallest minority of Apple customers, and the least likely for Apple to model a system design for (Or else they'd get the equivalent of 'Snakes on a Plane' sort of design... see above re: tuner card).

 

Opportunity costs.   Apple can spend 50Million dollars (remember in a quality org, you design EVERYTHING... supply chain, mfg process, boxes, marketing) developing a new Mac Mini every year, and garner, let's be optimistic, a Million units in sales.  30% margin. $599 price.  Wow.  They just made 180Million Dollars, for the entire year.

 

Apple last year made 180Million in Gross Profit a DAY.

 

So, for an initial investment R&D investment they make 3.5X their money, but it only contributes 1/365th to the bottom line.

And how many NON-Apple customers are screaming for an Mac Mini?   None.  So no market growth.   Oh, there is no residual in your model, you're spending 50Million a year, and the old model has to be thrown away.  Apple can design an iPhone or iPad, and it has a 3 year shelf life.

 

I'd rather spend that $50Million figuring out how to sell another 10Million iPhones, which have a greater margin, and a greater potential market and a longer market life.

 

But YMMV

post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


It's not unreasonable to expect greater entertainment options in a consumer-centric computer like the iMac. A DVR or digital TV tuner would fit the profile.

First off the thread was about the Mini,   which is not consumer centric.

 

But, Apple's solution for the consumer (who already has a 1080P TV in the room):

Airport Express

AppleTV

Airplay.

Internet Content.

Problem solved.

post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
AI has notoriously called for the Mac mini's EOL because of the long delays in updates. Because of its low volume and low cost, which I equate to also being a low margin, entry-level machine Apple has little motivation to update this machine often. I don't think it's going anywhere and could see a major change to the internals, like PCIe-SSD over the 2.5" drive, but I can also see them maintaining the 2.5" drive design for a couple more year, as well.

I think you are right. I also think that the Mini is adequately specced for its purpose at present. You can optionally choose SD or Fusion and for most people I'd argue it was powerful enough. Adding a 1 tb Fusion drive and maxing the Ram you'll be paying approx a grand less than an iMac which is a good deal if you have the other hardware. I am considering ditching my old mb and getting a mini to drive my cinema display at my office. Now that I can use my iMac at home as a monitor when the need arises I am questioning the need for a laptop. For travel I have the iPad Air. 

post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post
 

You need several TerraBytes worth of disk space to make a DVR worthwhile - my TiVo has a 3TB HD, my EyeTV setup on the MacPro a 4TB drive.  

 

The AppleTV is out of the question, the current model has 8GB storage, that is not enough for a single 1 hour recording.  Even with the MacMini you would need an external HD for it to be practical... Also a single tuner, while better than nothing isn't practical vs. 6 tuners on the TiVo.

Not if it records in the Cloud.  DVR doesn't have to store locally...

 

Or- like Tallest has always mentioned (although this will likely never ever happen)- use the Time Capsule as a DVR/Storage tool to stream from.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
 

I think you are right. I also think that the Mini is adequately specced for its purpose at present. You can optionally choose SD or Fusion and for most people I'd argue it was powerful enough. Adding a 1 tb Fusion drive and maxing the Ram you'll be paying approx a grand less than an iMac which is a good deal if you have the other hardware. I am considering ditching my old mb and getting a mini to drive my cinema display at my office. Now that I can use my iMac at home as a monitor when the need arises I am questioning the need for a laptop. For travel I have the iPad Air. 

Agreed.   The Mini is a 'Mac Pro Lite'  Your monitor investment is separate from your CPU investment, which is the mindset of home computer switchers and some small businesses.   But for most consumers, the iMac is what they want.  For serious MacOphiles,   The real question is 

MBP and monitors, or iPad and iMac/Mini.  Yosemite/iOS8/Continuity/iCloud will make that choice swing even easier to the iMac, and the Macbook Pro will evaporate into the MBA/MacPro.

 

The Mini will go away.   the mass market doesn't want a compute platform, it wants an 'App Accelerator,'  Which will be a local caching server for content. It will be an amalgam of a TimeCapsule and AppleTV, and all your podcasts, shows, etc, will have at least the first XX minutes pre-cached for instant startup on your local 'ac' wifi network.  The magic will be the DVR programming of it.

 

OTA/Cable collection... that's the magic.   Can't predict how it will happen, but I can predict it WON'T happen on an OSX device.  It's either built into ATV, or something else.  And an iOS app will manage it.

 

Developers will still want a MBPro, but a low end Mac Pro will subsume the Mini (for what you guys want), with BTO lower end graphics.

Again, Developers are .1% of the mass market, and Apple has to keep them happy, but not turn the crank every  year on desktops like laptops or phones/pads, where their useful lives are much shorter, and the engineering envelopes much tighter.

post #27 of 53
YES PLEASE!!!! My 2009 iMac desperately needs a replacement, but I'm not budging until a refresh. Come on Apple.
FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
post #28 of 53
You know what's overdue for an update? The friggin' Apple Thunderbolt Display. At the very least, Apple should have done a minor refresh to it back when the tapered iMac (non-optical drive) model debuted, and shifted it to USB3. It's been nearly three years (Sept 2011) since the current model went up for sale.
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post
 

You need several TerraBytes worth of disk space to make a DVR worthwhile - my TiVo has a 3TB HD, my EyeTV setup on the MacPro a 4TB drive.  

 

The AppleTV is out of the question, the current model has 8GB storage, that is not enough for a single 1 hour recording.  Even with the MacMini you would need an external HD for it to be practical... Also a single tuner, while better than nothing isn't practical vs. 6 tuners on the TiVo.

 

You make good points, but I can't fully agree.  I tested the Tablo DVR/PVR for a week*, with only a 500 GB hard drive attached and could have easily recorded 75-100 hours of HD.  That's plenty of space.  Granted it's a leap from 8GB to 500GB, but it is certainly possible.

And the Tablo I tested has 2 tuners, which again - it's plenty enough for OTA broadcasts, at least for my viewing.  

* Returned the Tablo for a refund.  Great concept but with Hulu, decided I don't really need the DVR at this time.  

post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


I personally think every Mac mini should have Apple TV built in, plus a digital TV signal (over the air) tuner card.

That's brilliant! :)

 

Similar thinking of having a video iPod in the iPhone, way back when.

 

Best

post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Make that base 1/2 the height and we've got something.

This is weighted so it always ends upright when rocked like Mr. Wobbly. It comes with lint cloths that attach so you can roll your desk free of dust too. Doubles as a hair dryer. Optional software allows it to roam the house unattended where it can clean floors, act as a baby sitter watcher and chase the cat.


Edited by digitalclips - 7/30/14 at 8:38am
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #32 of 53
Shave off another millimeter!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Not if it records in the Cloud.  DVR doesn't have to store locally...

Or- like Tallest has always mentioned (although this will likely never ever happen)- use the Time Capsule as a DVR/Storage tool to stream from.

In fact, like iTunes Match, it wouldn't have to actually record anything, it would simply link you to a version already on the cloud ... wait a minute, it's called Netflix ... 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Shave off another millimeter!

Was that comment for me or another?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #35 of 53
How many years have we been talking about i5's and i7's? The cpu market seems very stagnant these days. Nothing much new and really much faster than we were seeing a few years ago.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
post #36 of 53
I was looking forward to replacing my iMac, but if the processor is only getting a 100mhz speed bump, I'm not interested.
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Not if it records in the Cloud.  DVR doesn't have to store locally...

 

Or- like Tallest has always mentioned (although this will likely never ever happen)- use the Time Capsule as a DVR/Storage tool to stream from.

You must have been away from the Internet when when the Supreme Court ruled that Aereo with its "cloud" DVR system was illegal.  An Apple TV based cloud DVR would be too close to that -- Apple isn't interested in selling products that may be declared illegal.  


Edited by Ted13 - 7/30/14 at 9:11am
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post
 

You must have been and from the Internet when when the Supreme Court ruled that Aereo with its "cloud" DVR system was illegal.  An Apple TV based cloud DVR would be too close to that -- Apple isn't interested in selling products that may be declared illegal.  

 

Not exactly, right?  Aereo was ruled against because it was, effectively, rebroadcasting the signal from it's magic warehouse & antenna.   If my device, in my home, records to my personal cloud, then it should be legal.  Otherwise, I'd argue that Slingbox, Hopper, etc are illegal.  Dropbox as well.

post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Was that comment for me or another?

I was not replying to anyone.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I was looking forward to replacing my iMac, but if the processor is only getting a 100mhz speed bump, I'm not interested.

Intel milks each MHz for all the dollars it will bring. That's why they have all those artificial speed bins, even though it's the same chip. If Intel sold pennies, they would come in 5 shades of shiny and cost from a nickel to a quarter each.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Another Apple page briefly mentioned mysterious 'mid-2014' 27-inch iMac