or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Russian government asks Apple to hand over source code amid spying concerns

Russian government asks Apple to hand over source code amid spying concerns - Page 4

post #121 of 150

Former Russian President Dmitri Medvedev with black MacBook

post #122 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ View Post

Former Russian President Dmitri Medvedev with black MacBook

I read that as:

"Format Russian President Dmitri Medvedev with black MacBook"
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #123 of 150

It's so funny to read all those comments :)

Apple will show their code, Russians will be satisfied, and all of those commenters will peacefully shut up.

post #124 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
"Apple is deeply committed to protecting the privacy of all our customers," the company said in a response to the Chinese reports. "Privacy is built into our products and services from the earliest stages of design. We work tirelessly to deliver the most secure hardware and software in the world."

Hey Apple, if that's the case why does iCloud keep a record or every phone number and email address I've ever contacted on any of my Apple products, stores this information in the cloud and syncs it across devices and makes it very difficult to delete the information and impossible to turn the remembering behaviour off?

Thanks for offering to remember everyone I've ever contacted for the purposes of auto-complete but you provide perfectly good address book apps that also sync across iCloud and I'd prefer to use just those.

Edited by s.metcalf - 7/31/14 at 4:45am
post #125 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

All your code are belong to us.

But seriously, even if Apple did give them some code, they probably won't understand one line. And besides, Russia doesn't run the world and Apple is not indebted to them for anything.

Actually, you're mistaken here. If Apple, or you, want to play in a market, say Europe, Russia, or China, they have to accept the rules of that market.Just like the others have to if they want to commerce with the USA. It's called "bilateral approach". Very new.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #126 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I found that Apple usually will fesh out iTunes with songs that aren't in iTunes, but a user uploads to iCloud via iTunes Match...Anyway I had a copy of the song that I uploaded to iCloud -- now the song is in the iTunes store.

Is that even legal? Are they scanning for copyright protection before making it available on The Store? Well, they most likely are, otherwise they would be suit day after day.

I wonder what happens to all recordings people make at concerts if uploaded to iTunes Match: they are often taken down from the Internet by the artists (stating copyright infringement); I wonder if Apple is asked to do the same.

Anyone uploaded live recordings to iTunes Match? Still available to you, or taken down? If still up, for sale as well?

Not scanning for copyright protection -- just the opposite.

Read this:
Quote:
How iTunes Match works.
iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to iCloud for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 37 million songs in the iTunes Store, chances are your music is already in iCloud.3 And for the few songs that aren’t, iTunes uploads what it can’t match (which is much faster than uploading your entire music library). Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.

Once your music is in iCloud, you can play it from any of your devices. Just browse the complete list of all your music stored in the cloud and tap to play to it. You can store up to 25,000 songs in iCloud (more if songs are purchased from the iTunes Store), but only what you play or download is stored on your device. Tap the iCloud download button to download music from an artist, album, or playlist. So you have immediate access to a huge music library without having to worry about the storage space on your device.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #127 of 150
Quote:

Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.

This I know. What I would like to know is how Apple can think they are entitled to sell music that comes from your private collection, uploaded to your "iTunes Match Cloud"

So far I've found a piece on the RIAA:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/09/16/is-itunes-match-a-honeypot-for-music-pirates-a-copyright-lawyer-weighs-in/

Stating that consumers and Apple are safe.

Then there's this strange one:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/02/08/itunes-match

I don't know if this will be a repeat payout.

Anyway, my search capabilities are sorely lacking for answers...
post #128 of 150
Quote:

This I know. What I would like to know is how Apple can think they are entitled to sell music that comes from your private collection, uploaded to your "iTunes Match Cloud"

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/09/16/is-itunes-match-a-honeypot-for-music-pirates-a-copyright-lawyer-weighs-in/

An interesting question. I expect it also depends on the country of use, the country where the user bought his/her device, and US copyright law, given that's where the servers are.

Internet and virtual copies are such an amusing domain for lawyers to play in.

post #129 of 150
Quote:

Quote:

Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.

I don't believe that Apple is "selling music that comes from your private collection".

The way I understand iTunes Match is this.
  1. iTunes match scans your library
  2. the song/album names are sent to iTunes in the cloud
  3. any files that match the Apple's Master iTunes Library are not uploaded -- just pointed to
  4. any unmatched files are uploaded

3.a) No reason to clutter your iCloud storage with songs that already exist in the iTunes Master Library (better quality, DRM free). I believe Apple negotiated with the record companies to allow this -- essentially re-patriotizing songs with an unknown source

3.b) I believe that Apple makes note of any unmatched as potential additions to the iTunes Master Library -- and attempts to find a valid source among the record companies.

4.a) Any unmatched from your private collection are uploaded -- and are stored in your iCloud.

4.b) If later, Apple acquires the right to sell (match) an item that exists in your iCloud (previously unmatched, now matched) -- Apple deletes the file in your iCloud and points to the copy in Apple's iTunes library instead.

4.c) Yonder nor sorghum stenches will Apple ever point another user's iCloud to your private file -- or put it in the iTunes Master Library.

IDK what Apple considers a match:
  • Title
  • Artist
  • Metadata
  • fingerprint analysis
  • all of the above

But I do believe that you can finesse uploaded files so they will fail any match attempt.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 7/31/14 at 8:20am

post #130 of 150

Looks like the mods cleaned up the thread......

post #131 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

And did a pretty good job at it. Kudos to them.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #132 of 150
Quote:

Yonder nor sorghum stenches will Apple ever point another user's iCloud to your private file -- or put it in the iTunes Master Library.

Is this some colloquialism I'm unfamiliar with, or did his spell-checker go rogue?

post #133 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Quote:

Yonder nor sorghum stenches will Apple ever point another user's iCloud to your private file -- or put it in the iTunes Master Library.

Is this some colloquialism I'm unfamiliar with, or did his spell-checker go rogue?

Read it slowly ... you can move your lips 1smile.gif

Ladle Rat Rotten Hut

Wants pawn term, dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder inner ladle cordage, honor itch offer lodge dock florist. Disk ladle gull orphan worry ladle cluck wetter putty ladle rat hut, an fur disk raisin pimple colder Ladle Rat Rotten Hut.

Wan moaning, Rat Rotten Hut's murder colder inset, "Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, heresy ladle basking winsome burden barter an shirker cockles. Tick disk ladle basking tutor cordage offer groin-murder hoe lifts honor udder site offer florist. Shaker lake! Dun stopper laundry wrote! An yonder nor sorghum-stenches, dun stopper torque wet strainers!"

"Hoe-cake, murder," resplendent Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, an tickle ladle basking an stuttered oft. Honor wrote tutor cordage offer groin-murder, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut mitten anomalous woof. "Wail, wail, wail!" set disk wicket woof, "Evanescent Ladle Rat Rotten Hut! Wares are putty ladle gull goring wizard ladle basking?"

"Armor goring tumor groin-murder's," reprisal ladle gull. "Grammar's seeking bet. Armor ticking arson burden barter an shirker cockles."

"O hoe! Heifer blessing woke," setter wicket woof, butter taught tomb shelf, "Oil tickle shirt court tutor cordage offer groin-murder. Oil ketchup wetter letter, an den - O bore!"

Soda wicket woof tucker shirt court, an whinney retched a cordage offer groin-murder, picked inner widow, an sore debtor pore oil worming worse lion inner bet. Inner flesh, disk abdominal woof lipped honor bet an at a rope. Den knee poled honor groin-murder's nut cup an gnat-gun, any curdled dope inner bet.

Inner ladle wile, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut a raft attar cordage, an ranker dough belle. "Comb ink, sweat hard," setter wicket woof, disgracing is verse. Ladle Rat Rotten Hut entity bet rum an stud buyer groin-murder's bet.

"O Grammar!" crater ladle gull, "Wood bag icer gut! A nervous sausage bag ice!"

"Battered lucky chew whiff, doling," whiskered disk ratchet woof, wetter wicket small.

"O Grammar, water bag noise! A nervous sore suture anomolous prognosis!"

"Battered small your whiff," insert a woof, ants mouse worse waddling.

"O Grammar, water bag mousy gut! A nervous sore suture bag mouse!"

Daze worry on-forger-nut gulls lest warts. Oil offer sodden, thoroughing offer carvers an sprinkling otter bet, disk curl and bloat-thursday woof ceased pore Ladle Rat Rotten Hut an garbled erupt.

Mural: Yonder nor sorghum stenches shut ladle gulls stopper torque wet strainers.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/exhibits/ladle/

post #134 of 150
Quote:

The way I understand iTunes Match is this.
  1. iTunes match scans your library
  2. the song/album names are sent to iTunes in the cloud
  3. any files that match the Apple's Master iTunes Library are not uploaded -- just pointed to
  4. any unmatched files are uploaded

That is my understanding as well
Quote:
3.a) No reason to clutter your iCloud storage with songs that already exist in the iTunes Master Library (better quality, DRM free). I believe Apple negotiated with the record companies to allow this -- essentially re-patriotizing songs with an unknown source

Songs already in their catalogue aren't being uploaded, and if you already bought the song it won't count against your iCloud storage plan, nor is it subtracted from your 25,000 song limit.
Quote:
3.b) I believe that Apple makes note of any unmatched as potential additions to the iTunes Master Library -- and attempts to find a valid source among the record companies.
Quote:
4.a) Any unmatched from your private collection are uploaded -- and are stored in your iCloud.

4.b) If later, Apple acquires the right to sell (match) an item that exists in your iCloud (previously unmatched, now matched) -- Apple deletes the file in your iCloud and points to the copy in Apple's iTunes library instead.

That would seem like the most logical thing to do.

4.c) Yonder nor sorghum stenches will Apple ever point another user's iCloud to your private file -- or put it in the iTunes Master Library.

• Title
  • Artist
  • Metadata
  • fingerprint analysis
  • all of the above

But I do believe that you can finesse uploaded files so they will fail any match attempt.[/quote]

IDK either. They do however alter your own files when concerning artwork: .png doesn't work and gets stripped out, making you in need of checking up on your library as iTunes Match deletes it from your local files as well. Plus they replace high resolution artwork with lower ones, most likely to save on bandwidth. Read it today while searching on the copyright issue, but too lazy to find the link again. Sorry 'bout that.

But what about this:
Quote:
"Good Morning Mr. Zip Zip Zip" -- I had a copy of the song that I uploaded to iCloud -- now the song is in the iTunes store.

Can we presume others had that song in their library as well, and Apple thought it was a good idea to make that song available in their Store and therefore made a deal with the record company? Ah, it was sheet music, from 1918, so any copyright has expired (right?)

Lyric[edit]
GoodMorningMrZip.jpg
We come from ev'ry quarter,
From North, South, East and West,
To clear the way to freedom
For the land we love the best.
We've left our occupations
and home, so far and dear,
But when the going's rather rough,
We raise this song in cheer:

[chorus: repeat twice]
Good morning, Mister Zip-Zip-Zip,
With your hair cut just as short as mine,
You're surely looking fine!
Ashes to ashes, and dust to dust,
If the Camels don't get you,
The Fatimas must,
With your hair cut just as short as,
your hair cut just as short as,
your hair cut just as short as mine.

You see them on the highway,
You meet them down the pike,
In olive drab and khaki
Are soldiers on the hike;
And as the column passes,
The word goes down the line,
You're surely looking fine.

[repeat chorus twice]

The reference to "Camels" and "Fatimas" (fa-tee'-mas) are references to popular brands cigarettes of the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Morning_Mr._Zip-Zip-Zip!

post #135 of 150
Quote:

Songs already in their catalogue aren't being uploaded, and if you already bought the song it won't count against your iCloud storage plan, nor is it subtracted from your 25,000 song limit.
Quote:
Quote:

• Title
  • Artist
  • Metadata
  • fingerprint analysis
  • all of the above

But I do believe that you can finesse uploaded files so they will fail any match attempt.

IDK either. They do however alter your own files when concerning artwork: .png doesn't work and gets stripped out, making you in need of checking up on your library as iTunes Match deletes it from your local files as well. Plus they replace high resolution artwork with lower ones, most likely to save on bandwidth. Read it today while searching on the copyright issue, but too lazy to find the link again. Sorry 'bout that.

But what about this:
Quote:
"Good Morning Mr. Zip Zip Zip" -- I had a copy of the song that I uploaded to iCloud -- now the song is in the iTunes store.

Ha!

I just couldn't repost that video.

This is getting kind of interesting ...

I attempted to match several album's songs (Album, Song, Artist) they were determined to be unmatched and were uploaded (I can hear the scratches form the original recording).

However, Some of these songs are in the iTunes Store with a different album name, e.g. "Best of ... ".

I wonder if Apple will figure it out -- or if I need to remove some metadata:

FWIW, YT seems to allow anybody to post anything ... Here's the Edmundo Ros version of Colonel Bogey March as a marengue:

post #136 of 150

It's kind of the US FATCA.  US concerns about the 1% hiding money in foreign countries and now it's asking all foreign banks to play the game of reveal your books or else.

post #137 of 150
Quote:

FWIW, YT seems to allow anybody to post anything ...

Just like the people commenting on the videos:
Quote:
Juvenile, aggressive, misspelled, sexist, homophobic, swinging from raging at the contents of a video to providing a pointlessly detailed description followed by a LOL, YouTube comments are a hotbed of infantile debate and unashamed ignorance – with the occasional burst of wit shining through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#User_comments

Here's the Edmundo Ros version of Colonel Bogey March as a marengue:

Quote:
[ video ]

Feels like my dad is still alive...and playing records on the B&O in the living.
post #138 of 150
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Juvenile, aggressive, misspelled, sexist, homophobic, swinging from raging at the contents of a video to providing a pointlessly detailed description followed by a LOL, YouTube comments are a hotbed of infantile debate and unashamed ignorance – with the occasional burst of wit shining through.

Quote:
[ video ]

Feels like my dad is still alive...and playing records on the B&O in the living.

Yeah! 'Cept my similar experience probably predates yours by a decade or 2.

BTW, due to your wiki post, I went and checked some dates ...

My dad was 6 years old when Mr. Zip Zip Zip ... was published as a record ... It is quite likely his dad sang the song to him back then.

I was 6 years old in 1945 around the time he sang it to me ... End of WWI and end of WWII.

Strange coincidences??

post #139 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

And did a pretty good job at it. Kudos to them.

No, they don't deserve ANY Kudos until they make an announcement outlining what exactly they did and re-stating the relevant policies and justify their actions in relation to the policy. This kind of cowardly anonymous deletion is not something that deserves any praise.

post #140 of 150
Quote:

WOT!

I'm having a ball!

Learnin' Swift on the playgrounds ...

Waitin' for AAPL > 100 ..

Keepin' up with tech on AI and other forums ...

While listenin' to great old records that I haven't heard in years ...

I finally broke down and bought a USB turntable for the Mac!

We have about 350-400 old records -- mostly 33's, but some 45's and even a few 78s.

Never could justify rebuying these on iTunes -- just checked and it would cost about $10 each to buy these on the average,

But now, I can play them, enjoy them, record them and iTunes match them ...

... Midnight In Moscow by Peter Nero ...

Good move! I have Midnight in Moscow played by Kenny Ball, but on tape. Haven't iTunes Matched it yet.

I have a similar dilemma with my DVDs. Do I go through the laborious, time-consuming process of converting them all to digital, or simply keep using an optical drive for as long as they are available? I've decided on the latter.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #141 of 150
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

• Title
  • Artist
  • Metadata
  • fingerprint analysis
  • all of the above
  •  

But what about this:
Quote:

Ha!

I just couldn't repost that video.

This is getting kind of interesting ...

I attempted to match several album's songs (Album, Song, Artist) they were determined to be unmatched and were uploaded (I can hear the scratches form the original recording).

However, Some of these songs are in the iTunes Store with a different album name, e.g. "Best of ... ".

I wonder if Apple will figure it out -- or if I need to remove some metadata:

FWIW, YT seems to allow anybody to post anything ... Here's the Edmundo Ros version of Colonel Bogey March as a marengue:

Love that arrangement!

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #142 of 150
Quote:

Strange coincidences??

Hmm, maybe not so strange, going from generation to generation. And yes, 'a decade or two' is indeed fairly accurate.

Best!
post #143 of 150
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
[ video ]

I watched that video. Like the cover showing Mr Pimple-nosed Ros, lol, should of bean called the scarlet pimplenell lol. Why the f*** is he called Kernel Bogey? Didn't realise he was a memba of Panic Attack lol. Where are his f'ing medals?! 😡 Guess he's sum charlatan and proberly gay or Beats his wife lol. Why is it that every single fucking Youtube video has to have a fucking advert popping up to ruin everything? Aaaaaagh. This arrangement of the Colonel Bogey March has been jazzed up from the original version. There are no singers in this version. The scene is set with the opening riff which continues throughout the song. A guitar plays a three note rising  chromatic motif through most of the music, except when certain chords change. The upper brass are given the tune, who repeat it several times as you might expect in a piece of music. Other instruments play along and there is a rhythm section which underpins the whole piece. The tune is well known, and you may find your foot tapping along as you listen to the music. The music is in a major key. LOL. 

😉

Edited by Benjamin Frost - 7/31/14 at 4:22pm
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #144 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:

WOT!

I'm having a ball!

Learnin' Swift on the playgrounds ...

Waitin' for AAPL > 100 ..

Keepin' up with tech on AI and other forums ...

While listenin' to great old records that I haven't heard in years ...

I finally broke down and bought a USB turntable for the Mac!

We have about 350-400 old records -- mostly 33's, but some 45's and even a few 78s.

Never could justify rebuying these on iTunes -- just checked and it would cost about $10 each to buy these on the average,

But now, I can play them, enjoy them, record them and iTunes match them ...

... Midnight In Moscow by Peter Nero ...

Good move! I have Midnight in Moscow played by Kenny Ball, but on tape. Haven't iTunes Matched it yet.

I have a similar dilemma with my DVDs. Do I go through the laborious, time-consuming process of converting them all to digital, or simply keep using an optical drive for as long as they are available? I've decided on the latter.

Ahh ... Dixieland ... one of my great weaknesses ...

Anything by Kenny Ball is great -- but, my BFF is Teddy Bears Picnic ... or My Mother's Eyes ... or American Patrol ...

As to converting CDs and DVDs, If you have kids or grandkids, pay them, say, $1 per album imported into iTunes (labels and metadata) -- then let iTunes Match do the rest.

You'll get high-quality DRM-free music that you can play anywhere. The kids'll earn some cash -- and just might gain an appreciation for good music 1smile.gif

post #145 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

No, they don't deserve ANY Kudos until they make an announcement outlining what exactly they did and re-stating the relevant policies and justify their actions in relation to the policy. This kind of cowardly anonymous deletion is not something that deserves any praise.

The thread went on a wild tangent that had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Insults were being thrown around. Not one single participant including myself is surprised, nor upset of the action taken by the mod.
post #146 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

The thread went on a wild tangent that had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Insults were being thrown around. Not one single participant including myself is surprised, nor upset of the action taken by the mod.

Oh I absolutely agree that the thread went totally off the rails and that something needed to be done. I simply object to editoring/censoring being done anonymously.

post #147 of 150

I thought the Mods let this forum topic go uncheck at the request of government. That way, 'who' took 'what' position in the heated debates (nothing to do with the topic) were a matter of record & duly noted. They can work it backwards from that.

I hope Apple doesn't relent. That could make the iPhones contraband in Russia, unfortunately driving up the price so the average, good resident can't afford it, only organized crime who want confidentiality doing their deeds, & their government employees.

post #148 of 150
Quote:

I simply object to editoring/censoring being done anonymously.

How else could it be done? There were two pages of posts removed, it's not possible to detail each and every off-topic post and describing them just resurrects the off-topic subjects. When you leave garbage out and come back later to find it gone, do you wonder who it was that stole your garbage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellya74u 
I thought the Mods let this forum topic go uncheck at the request of government.

You know too much, it goes all the way to the top.
post #149 of 150
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
How else could it be done?

I was under the impression that Huddler still doesn’t publicly show a line at the bottom of an edited post when an edit takes place, regardless of who does it. I think Taniwha would be satisfied with something like that.

Edited by Tallest Skil at 9:99:99 PM

post #150 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
How else could it be done?

I was under the impression that Huddler still doesn’t publicly show a line at the bottom of an edited post when an edit takes place, regardless of who does it. I think Taniwha would be satisfied with something like that.

Edited by Tallest Skil at 9:99:99 PM

Nice one! It's not every day we get to see a decimal clock.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Russian government asks Apple to hand over source code amid spying concerns
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Russian government asks Apple to hand over source code amid spying concerns