or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Apple TV 'stalls' because of cable companies & content deals, likely not arriving until 2015 - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Apple TV 'stalls' because of cable companies & content deals, likely not arriving until 2015... - Page 3

post #81 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post


Disagree on some points. Apple believes that for the best user experience you need to control the product creation from start to finish.

A hybrid cable content model just to placate the aging current cable model will create a bad user exp. Apple needs to usher in a new model like they did w the phone.

Only then will cable cos change their behavior. Otherwise apples solution will be tainted w a legacy model based on greed and company, not customer, centric wants

 

Think back to the iPhone release.  iPhone was first released on just one carrier: AT&T.  It had a novel Visual Voice Mail system that no other device had, which required AT&T to do some work on their end.  AT&T gained subscribers, mindshare, and prestige by selling iPhone.  Other cell carriers, even one or two who originally rejected Apple's deal (Verizon) signed up later.

 

Apple could follow the same approach with cable / satellite providers.  Just work with one of them at first, roll out an advanced Apple TV set-top box, let the mindshare build, poach subscribers from all other cable / satellite providers, then start working with all other cable / satellite providers a year later.  Apple needs partners, not enemies.

 

Oh, and as for the "new model," who knows what Apple has come up with?  I'm sure there are at least 2,418 ways to improve the current TV experience, from improving content delivery network speed to simplifying searching to eliminating channel numbers to eliminating the remote control.  Maybe Apple's TV-related patents will give us some hints.  (PatentlyApple has posted quite a few, by the way.)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #82 of 94
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post
 

Most people seem to misunderstand how cable companies price their products. You seem to think that you're being forced to pay for hundreds of crappy channels you don't want, in order to get the handful of channels that you do want. Therefore, you reason, if you were simply allowed to pick and choose your channels you would pay less while receiving only what you want.

 

In reality, the cable companies GET PAID to push the crappy channels to your home. The crappy channels subsidize the cost of the good channels. Taking them out would increase the cost of the good channels, to a point where few people would pay for them. To cable companies, you are both a consumer and the product being sold. Similar to the reason why Google and Facebook are "free."

 

I don't care whether I pay for 200 extra crappy channels or whether those 200 extra crappy channels are free. I would prefer that they all just go away, one way or another.  Just to eliminate clutter.

 

Oh, and I said that I'd gladly pay *more* for just the specific shows I want.  Not less.  But only if the experience of searching for, paying for, and watching those shows were vastly better than what we have now.  That's how Apple gets away with charging more than your average corner-cutting commodity device vendor.  Better experience.  Apple is an experience company.  It's no secret.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #83 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Think back to the iPhone release.  iPhone was first released on just one carrier: AT&T.  It had a novel Visual Voice Mail system that no other device had, which required AT&T to do some work on their end.  AT&T gained subscribers, mindshare, and prestige by selling iPhone.  Other cell carriers, even one or two who originally rejected Apple's deal (Verizon) signed up later.

Apple could follow the same approach with cable / satellite providers.  Just work with one of them at first, roll out an advanced Apple TV set-top box, let the mindshare build, poach subscribers from all other cable / satellite providers, then start working with all other cable / satellite providers a year later.  Apple needs partners, not enemies.

Oh, and as for the "new model," who knows what Apple has come up with?  I'm sure there are at least 2,418 ways to improve the current TV experience, from improving content delivery network speed to simplifying searching to eliminating channel numbers to eliminating the remote control.  Maybe Apple's TV-related patents will give us some hints.  (PatentlyApple has posted quite a few, by the way.)

That was then. When apple didn't have the cash in hand, didn't have mobile devices in so many users hands. Now apple has a sticky ecosystem where few leave and most are asking for more services and products. Why coddle this industry when you can do an end run and get your point across. Apple doesn't need an entry partner now. Their 150 bil is all the partner they need to usher in the new tech and make the cable industry fall in line or fall to pieces
post #84 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

Or, maybe what what he described is exactly what Apple had planned, but negotiations didn't go the way they expected. We'll never know.

 

or maybe he's god? we'll never know...

post #85 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Their 150 bil is all the partner they need to usher in the new tech and make the cable industry fall in line or fall to pieces

And how exactly are they supposed to be that?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #86 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So what's a household with multiple ATVs, and one iPad to do?

Select the ATV you want to AirPlay to.
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Reply
post #87 of 94
Here's a good example of what Apple are up against http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/10351514/Want-Netflix-Networks-say-its-not-legit

The networks want control.
We are blessed to have Sky here in NZ, who in a country of around 4.5 million have their subscription based boxes in 1 million households. They are the only player here yet the free networks have come out in support of them.

The people accessing Netflix obviously want more choice or aren't satisfied with the same old drivel dished up every night by Sky et al - that's a bad thing /s
post #88 of 94
Of course the industry is worried, Look what Apple did to the music Industry. Apple is a technological innovator and disrupter. There is no company like it in the world. Why do you think there is so much negative press about any tech they introduce? To try to poo poo it and lessen its impact. Why do you think they killed Jobs - oh just kiddin! Of course Apple has a new interface ready to go, they won't introduce it until they have content to make it really useful. I imagine the industry is really concerned because some of these companies they negotiated with have seen a demo of the new interface and are frightened/ relaize it will take huge market share because it is 10 years ahead of anything they have and they don't have the programmers capable of anything close. They sighed NDA's to get a demo and of course they know that Apple will sue them if they even attempt to copy it. That's the whole reason behind the lawsuits with Scamsung, it's not to get Scamsung really but the main intent is the scare the crap out of everyone else if they attempt to copy any of Apple's IP or at least not make a blatant copy

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Reply

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Reply
post #89 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Of course the industry is worried, Look what Apple did to the music Industry. 
 

 

You mean save it, right? Apple basically saved the music industry's ass.

 

Before the iPod and iTunes, music sales were in a downward spiral as people frustrated with decades of abuse by the recording industry turned to Napster and other MP3 sharing services. After much arm twisting the record companies finally relented and agreed to Apple's demand to allow sales of digital music as singles (rather than forcing everyone to buy albums), to allow customers to listen to meaningfully long samples of any song before purchase, to offer fair and simple pricing ($0.99 per song), and to allow customers to listen to their purchased music on different devices (iPod, PC) without paying extra for the privilege. The result was a rebirth of music sales, but the recording industry was still pissed because they could no longer make the same fat profits they were previously used to from gouging customers.

 

Apple eventually also persuaded most of the record companies to remove DRM from their tracks in exchange for a slightly higher price ($1.29), thereby removing another huge barrier to legal music downloads.


The fact that music sales are in another slump today is because a) let's face it, a lot of the music being promoted by the industry is garbage, and b) many people are coming around to the idea of music subscription services, now that pricing has settled to a reasonable $10/mo. and some of the services (like Beats Music and Spotify) allow users to access a vast library anywhere, anytime and from any device.


Edited by freediverx - 8/7/14 at 10:05am
post #90 of 94

until apple spreads its weight "bucks" like creating their own production studios, buying others , we will be doomed to pay massive amounts for the 7 channels people typically watch

my hope that's what beats or their  leadership brings

apple i think is keeping things close to the chest i think there is a solution with jon ives that's part of the beats magic it was a brilliant strategic move

 

but this comcast TW deal was proposed to defend against apple $$$$$$

 

 

i wish new apple tv or software update allows bluetooth headphones so i can watch without waking my family

I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #91 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post
 

i wish new apple tv or software update allows bluetooth headphones so i can watch without waking my family

 

That would be a function of your TV, not a set-top box.

 

{EDIT} Does anyone make a Bluetooth transmitter you can plug into the headphone jack or audio out on your TV set?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #92 of 94

apple tv support bt keyboard why not headset???

I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #93 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post
 

apple tv support bt keyboard why not headset???

 

Well for starters, how would you control the volume?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #94 of 94

same as with apple tv   i up the volume button on my remote

 

they can output from apple tv use my ear phones to up and down volume

 

 

roku has a "way"

 

apple can be better

 

 

Remote: Built-in headphone jack, plus Wi-Fi Direct 
The Roku 3's marquee feature is the remote's private listening mode: plug a pair of headphones into the remote's headphone jack and you can listen to whatever's playing on your Roku. Plugging in the headphones also automatically mutes your TV, and headphone volume can be adjusted using the rocker on the right side of the remote. Another smart feature: the headphone volume leaves the TV volume unaffected, so cranking it up in private-listening mode won't mean you blast the room when you pop out the headphones.

 

 

 

my lg 55 has a headphone jack some suggest this product  bluetooth adapter

 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HMT7QY/ref=nosim/?ascsubtag=FWctpemz&tag=fatwalletcom&linkCode=as1

 

but apple could add this with output adjustment


Edited by NOFEER - 8/11/14 at 5:08pm
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Apple TV 'stalls' because of cable companies & content deals, likely not arriving until 2015 - report