or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' to launch on Oct. 14 as part of 'busy month'

Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' to launch on Oct. 14 as part of 'busy month'

post #1 of 48
Adding to rumors and speculation surrounding Apple's highly anticipated "iPhone 6" debut, a questionable report on Thursday claims the company will be releasing the handset on Oct. 14, one month after an unveiling in September.

According to a person with knowledge of an Apple Store meeting, MacRumors reports Apple is planning to announce the next-generation iPhone 6 at an event scheduled for Sept. 16, to be followed by an initial rollout on Oct. 14.

Both dates fall on a Tuesday, a day Apple traditionally saves for major announcements, not product releases. For example, last year's iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c debuted at a special event on Tuesday, Sept. 10, while the iPad Air was announced a month later on Tuesday, Oct. 22.

The Oct. 14 date is highly suspect given Apple's track record in launching iPhone products on Fridays, but the source claims Apple wants to push release up earlier in the week due to high consumer demand and access to a more than adequate cache of devices thanks to a huge production ramp-up.

Since the first iPhone debuted in 2007, however, every model has hit store shelves on a Friday save for the iPhone 4, which was released on Thursday, June 24, 2010. Further, the supposed month-long wait between the reported iPhone 6 announcement and sale date is questionable, as Apple usually releases iPhone models one week after a reveal. It also goes against the source's claims of plentiful handset supply.

Thursday's report adds to the growing pile of release date rumors first kicked off in May when German cellular carrier Deutsche Telekom began telling customers to prepare for a Friday, Sept. 19 launch date. The rumor was echoed by Chinese Internet company Tencent in June, but days later a separate report claimed Apple would start sales on Thursday, Sept. 25.

In addition to the iPhone 6, today's report claims Apple will have an "incredibly busy" October, possibly suggesting other product launches. The source failed to elaborate on the comment.

Apple is expected to launch two redesigned iPhone models for the 2014 product cycle -- 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch versions -- with many anticipating a slimmed-down profile, advanced components like an "A8" processor and possibly more onboard storage. A supposed iPhone 6 logic board leak last week suggested the inclusion of 802.11ac Wi-Fi and NFC support, though the rumor has gone unsubstantiated.

Most recently, a report on Tuesday threw cold water on much-ballyhooed speculation that the iPhone 6 will feature a sapphire display, saying production difficulties are standing in the way of a large-scale rollout.
post #2 of 48

Sorry folks but this is all starting to sound same old, same old. When it's here, then we'll have something to crow about I'm sure, but all this speculation is just counter productive. Oct is too far away to get that excited and we've all got lives to live. 

post #3 of 48
baby-crying-014.jpg

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 48

Although it will be nice to see, and I am looking forward to it, it does look like the "best pipeline in 25 years" and new product categories "across 2014" was either categorically false, or they are having difficulty in production. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #5 of 48
This reads like a numerology prediction. Perhaps it's time to consult with an industry soothsayer or psychic. Better yet, let's get an ouija board and a Magic Mouse ......
post #6 of 48
So Apple is going to announce the phone in September but it won't be available until a month later? I call BS on that. Why would Apple hold an event in Septemner if the phone won't be available until the middle of October? Unless they're expecting launch weekend to be so huge they need a month for pre-orders and to get retail properly stocked?
Edited by Rogifan - 7/31/14 at 4:05am
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So Apple is going to announce the phone in September but it won't be available until a month later? I call BS on that. Why would Apple hold an event in Septemner if the phone won't be available until the middle of October? Unless they're expecting launch weekend to be so huge they need a month for pre-orders and to get retail properly stocked?

Double down on the BS suggestion, why on earth would AAPL jeopardize their 4th fiscal quarter results by moving the release date into 1Q '15. Just this rumor has caused the stock to recoil over $2 since it's 52 week high earlier this week. I know they have increased their stock by back plans and maybe this rumor was created to allow them to repurchase at a more favorable rate before the stock flys through the $100 record set back in Sept 2012. It all boils down to shareholder perception.
KennDDS
KennDDS
post #8 of 48
Busy October: iPhone, Yeosemite, iPayments, ???

In wondering if the iWatch/iPod/fitBand might be assembled in the USA. They really kept the lid onMac Pro rumors. Maybe the start of a new (and robotic) emphasis on US production. Also recall the US plant(s) making sapphire.
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

Double down on the BS suggestion, why on earth would AAPL jeopardize their 4th fiscal quarter results by moving the release date into 1Q '15. Just this rumor has caused the stock to recoil over $2 since it's 52 week high earlier this week. I know they have increased their stock by back plans and maybe this rumor was created to allow them to repurchase at a more favorable rate before the stock flys through the $100 record set back in Sept 2012. It all boils down to shareholder perception.
9to5Mac's sources claim the tentative launch date is September. I agree with what Ben Lovejoy wrote on their site:
Quote:
The story seems exceedingly unlikely for two reasons (besides the questionable nature of the source having access to launch details). First, Apple traditionally launches new iPhones on a Friday, with first weekend sales an important early guide to the popularity of a new model. A Tuesday launch would not provide comparable data. Second, Apple usually announces new iPhones around ten days before they go on sale, yet the same source is claiming that that Apple will announce the phone in mid-September, a full month before it goes on sale.
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Busy October: iPhone, Yeosemite, iPayments, ???

In wondering if the iWatch/iPod/fitBand might be assembled in the USA. They really kept the lid onMac Pro rumors. Maybe the start of a new (and robotic) emphasis on US production. Also recall the US plant(s) making sapphire.

Interesting.  It could be possible, certainly would be easier to keep a lid on leaks in the USA vs China.

post #11 of 48
Because I'm a nerd, here's the number of days from Apple announcing each iPhone to its release date (in the US, at least):

171 - iPhone
32 - iPhone 3G
12 - iPhone 3GS
17 - iPhone 4
10 - iPhone 4S
9 - iPhone 5
11 - iPhone 5S

Obviously that doesn't prove anything, it could easily change any time, but I still doubt they'd jump back up to about 30 days between announcement and launch.
post #12 of 48

Total and UTTER BS.

Apple releases phones one week after event.

Oct release is probably for iWatch

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcode View Post

Because I'm a nerd, here's the number of days from Apple announcing each iPhone to its release date (in the US, at least):

171 - iPhone
32 - iPhone 3G
12 - iPhone 3GS
17 - iPhone 4
10 - iPhone 4S
9 - iPhone 5
11 - iPhone 5S

Obviously that doesn't prove anything, it could easily change any time, but I still doubt they'd jump back up to about 30 days between announcement and launch.

Good work!  I'm glad we've got 'nerds' like you around ;)

post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Total and UTTER BS.

Apple releases phones one week after event.

Oct release is probably for iWatch
MacRumors headline doesn't match the body of the story.
Quote:
[The source notes that a senior Store Leader mentioned October 14th as being an "immense" day for Apple, adding that the whole month of October would be very busy for stores and the company itself./QUOTE]

October 14 being an "immense" day could be anything. Maybe that's the day Apple's wearable launches. And maybe it isn't just one watch/fitness band. Maybe it's a range of products. And that certainly would be immense for Apple retail considering a wearable is probably something you'd want to try on in person, vs ordering online.
post #15 of 48

How naff!, Apple now release nothing all year until 12 weeks before the end of the year. Is this how it will be from now on, FA all year until the final three months., all we've had is a futile spec bump for Macbook and entry iMac, hardly worth creaming my shorts about.

post #16 of 48
I miss the old days (pre-smartphone) where one needed or wanted a new piece of tech, and you simply went to your cell store or tech store and purchased something to suit you. None of this anticipation of release dates and announcements of release dates. There was no stress or anxiety about it in the "old days". Just get it when you need it or upgrade when you want it. People stress about every single Apple announcement like they'll never live if they wait a couple months until the rush is over and supplies aren't an issue and OS issues have been resolved and they get past the next hardware glitch (antennae-gate).

I'm a fanboy bigtime and am looking forward to the 6 but wait until after Christmas passes and things calm down then casually stroll into my store for my upgrade. I'm not an impatient teenager anymore competing with "the Jones'" for having the next best thing.

It sure is amusing to watch though.
post #17 of 48
How about this: Apple will announce and release its new products whenever the products are ready.
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

None of this makes sense until you think, okay, maybe both the 4.7" and 5.5" get announced together in Sept, but only the 4.7" becomes available a week later, with the 5.5" to begin shipping in October. If Apple feels that the 4.7" will be the mainstream model with the much higher demand (a safe bet), then production capacity will be focused on that model initially. And you don't wait to announce the larger model until you're within a week of shipping it, because then a lot of people who might have bought it would settle for the 4.7" (thinking that's the only new model being announced this year). If a few weeks later you announce a 5.5" model, you've pissed off a lot of customers. So both models, if there are indeed two separate new models, will be introduced at the same time, but it makes sense that both will not be available at the same time. Thus the second date mentioned in this article. And a Tuesday release for the second model makes sense as there will already be huge weekend traffic flooding Apple stores beginning with the availability of the first new model and continuing every weekend through the end of the year. Make sense?
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #19 of 48
Let's start staggering these releases next year Apple. I can only hold on to money for so long 1frown.gif
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #20 of 48
My guess would be the 4.7" ships in September a week after the announcement while the 5.5" ships in October.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

None of this makes sense until you think, okay, maybe both the 4.7" and 5.5" get announced together in Sept, but only the 4.7" becomes available a week later, with the 5.5" to begin shipping in October. If Apple feels that the 4.7" will be the mainstream model with the much higher demand (a safe bet), then production capacity will be focused on that model initially. And you don't wait to announce the larger model until you're within a week of shipping it, because then a lot of people who might have bought it would settle for the 4.7" (thinking that's the only new model being announced this year). If a few weeks later you announce a 5.5" model, you've pissed off a lot of customers. So both models, if there are indeed two separate new models, will be introduced at the same time, but it makes sense that both will not be available at the same time. Thus the second date mentioned in this article. And a Tuesday release for the second model makes sense as there will already be huge weekend traffic flooding Apple stores beginning with the availability of the first new model and continuing every weekend through the end of the year. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense. Of course, the rumor would have to be true 1wink.gif. Good explanation. IF there is a 5.5"- hopefully there is- I agree that they'll announce them together. Still waiting on leaks though...

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #22 of 48
They will announce mid September and launch a week later, probably on the 19th or 23rd. That would get them a week or so of sales push for the quarter, but continue a strong sales push through the end of the year.
post #23 of 48

maybe the 4.7" on september 16

and the 5.5" on october 14

both available for sale when announced. 

post #24 of 48
Ugggggh seriously that would be just plain stupid. It would be something that Samsung would do and they have. I had to wait a month for the my Galaxy S4 and it almost drove me crazy. Now I hate my Galaxy S4 and have thought of throwing out of a 7 story building. The iPhone 6 will come in September and many people will be disappointed if it came in October.
post #25 of 48

My thinking:

They have no choice. The carnage on Wall St would be horrific if they didn't announce in Sept.

Shipping 4 weeks later. Definitely, a host of iOS 8 and A8 capabilities plus announcements about iHealth/iFitness, iPayments, iIBM, and iSapphire allows the 4 weeks to include huge natural, free hype with no Apple $$$ investment. ($Bs of free ads in the form of a media firestorm. I bet "Willy Wonka" is a required 15 hr course at Apple U.)

Build it and they will show and they will tweet before they show.

And they will buy. This rollout will be a two month event.

post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

The entire market sold off this morning. It's either collusion or a reaction to larger world events... Maybe what's happening in Russia?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

baby-crying-014.jpg

Is the picture supposed to represent Samsung in November?  It seems... appropriate...

Does anyone have the exact text from Cook's "best pipeline" quote?  I cannot recall the exact wording; I wonder if by "best pipeline," he meant additional/new products vs more refreshes (vs both).  The Apple TV seems as if it is going to be delayed.  The iWatch defies substantiation.  There will likely be solid updates to iMac, Macbook Air, iPad reg and mini, and, of course, the iPhone.  Plus, possibly updates to some of the ancillary products that generally don't make headlines.  If so, assuming these are substantial updates (they will be), I think that could easily qualify the "best pipeline" comment.  That being said, I really want to see a wearable.  Even if it turns out to be something I wouldn't buy, it will be the first big step toward something that eventually I WILL want to buy.

I'm to the point where I will blindly buy whatever the next iPhone is, even though I don't know for sure what features it will have.  I'm not to that point with the MacBooks, etc. (because of price).  Apple has rarely disappointed me.  While Cook is no Steve Jobs, either his company is still doing a passable job at new innovation, or perhaps there is just so much Jobs-era momentum that Apple cannot currently be stopped.  In any case, I have been pleasantly surprised since Cook took over.  I think new products are likely in the "pipeline" for the near future, but this could simply be the bigger iPhone(s).

Slightly off-topic, does anyone else worry that Apple is now in danger of fragmenting their iPhone lineup?  5S, 5C, now possibly coming out with multiple sizes with multiple levels of capability, possibly with multiple different resolutions.  This potentially further confuses the lineup when you have an iPhone 5.5" next to a new iPad mini.

Oh, and where's Tallest_Skil?  I haven't seen any posts from him lately, and I kinda miss his acrid remarks.  Maybe I've just overlooked them.

Edited by Brent McAnulty - 7/31/14 at 8:45am
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Interesting.  It could be possible, certainly would be easier to keep a lid on leaks in the USA vs China.

If the iWatch were assembled in the USA that could also account for the delays we're hearing about. Sure took a while to get the MacPro plant running at high speeds. 

post #29 of 48

Good, bring it on!

This fall will be very busy for Apple.

And today's drop in the market is a good opportunity to load up on a few more shares of AAPL like I just did a few minutes ago.

If the market goes more down tomorrow, then I'll load up some more. It's all good.:lol:

post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent McAnulty View Post

Does anyone have the exact text from Cook's "best pipeline" quote? 

It wasn't Cook that said it, though he agreed with it later on.

It was Eddy Cue.

"Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple," Cue said at the Code Conference

post #31 of 48
"Adding to rumors and speculation surrounding Apple's highly anticipated "iPhone 6" debut, a questionable report on Thursday claims the company will be releasing the handset on Oct. 14"

If the report is questionable, then why are you reporting it? Kind of states that AppleInsider it self is questionable as an organization and source of information, doesn't it?
post #32 of 48

It wouldn't make sense for Apple. But it would definitely be better for consumers. At least it will guarantee good enough supply for the first crazy week. Especially for China where iPhone demand are likely to outstrip supply for months following the launch. 

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

How naff!, Apple now release nothing all year until 12 weeks before the end of the year. Is this how it will be from now on, FA all year until the final three months., all we've had is a futile spec bump for Macbook and entry iMac, hardly worth creaming my shorts about.

What a weird post.  'Naff' is hardly the expression I'd use to describe a release cycle, and ditto 'futile' to describe a spec bump. As for the last part... if creaming your shorts is a voluntary act please spare us the info.

post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

"Adding to rumors and speculation surrounding Apple's highly anticipated "iPhone 6" debut, a questionable report on Thursday claims the company will be releasing the handset on Oct. 14"

If the report is questionable, then why are you reporting it? Kind of states that AppleInsider it self is questionable as an organization and source of information, doesn't it?

rumors

speculation

questionable report

Pretty much sums up the article and its contents.  Maybe stores were setup to see what information leaked so they could track down the leaks.

As for me, iwatch and see what happens.

post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

This is a rumour site. It reports rumors.
Nothing questionable about that. They are reporting on a questionable rumour and identifying it as a questionable rumour. Do you see a problem with that?
post #36 of 48
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
[image]

How’d you manage to post an image that isn’t limited by the idiotic size constraints?

post #37 of 48

When we hear that AT&T and Apple Employee being told they can not take a vacation on these days then we will know when it will be launched.

post #38 of 48
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Although it will be nice to see, and I am looking forward to it, it does look like the "best pipeline in 25 years" and new product categories "across 2014" was either categorically false, or they are having difficulty in production. 

All things in time.  I could wait an extra month or two for the "6"-es.

You in a big hurry or something?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #39 of 48

As much as it drove me crazy to not know what was going to be announced and when I could get my hands on it once it was announced, it effectively created a fan-boy hunger to have it.

Now, with leaks that have practically become pre-announcements and improved production pipelines, the lust has gone. This is not to say the new way is wrong or anything negative about the way Cook runs things. I just kind of miss the magic, the almost mystical aura that surrounded product announcements and launches.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

They will announce mid September and launch a week later, probably on the 19th or 23rd. That would get them a week or so of sales push for the quarter, but continue a strong sales push through the end of the year.

Yeah they gotta wait until the High Schools and Colleges are back in session, so the student gossip can stimulate sales.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' to launch on Oct. 14 as part of 'busy month'