or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung earnings disappoint as company blames competition in smartphone space
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung earnings disappoint as company blames competition in smartphone space - Page 3

post #81 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Read the earnings report from Samsung directly

 

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/ir/ireventpresentations/earningsrelease/downloads/2012/20140731_conference_eng.pdf

Well actually I have no interest in reading Samsung's earnings report. If AI wants to reference something from it maybe they should include the quote, or change the headline to reflect what the article actually covers.

post #82 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevofl View Post

If Apple wanted to really put a nail in Samsung's coffin then lower the price tag on iPhone6 by about $100 adjusting/keeping the memory: $99 - 8Gb, $199 - 32Gb, $299 - 64Gb, $399 - 128Gb (hoping here).

 

Apple will be able to give the razors away for free when the money they make on the blades justifies it (in other words, once iTunes sales per phone exceed the cost of the hardware).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #83 of 117
All I can say is, Apple better diversify its supply chain away from Samsung and look hard at its production dependence on China and any Chinese component suppliers too. An all-out war is brooding and it only takes one weak link in the chain to be broken (one supplier not providing something to Apple that Apple cannot source elsewhere) and Bam!, Apple can't build product. I wonder if this keeps Tim Cook up nights. It should.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #84 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

Looking at Apple's share price collapse today, I take it Wall Street must be thinking the same thing will happen to Apple as it did to Samsung.  I'd say that's a pretty far-fetched way of thinking if that's the case.  For Samsung, it's the high-end Galaxy S5 not selling all that well and those tens of millions of low-end devices that are eating away at Samsung's profits.  They're going to have the same problem Nokia had trying to hold onto all that market share.  Some of these companies never learn to stop biting off more than they can chew.  It's like one country trying to dominate the whole world but eventually the troops get stretched too thin and the supply chain becomes nearly impossible to manage.  I'd say Samsung has had it for now and it will take them at least another year to recover.

There are 18 stocks on my main tech watch list.   Go check them yourself.

 

http://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/AAPL,YHOO,IBM,P,AMZN,FB,TWTR,GOOG,INTC,MSFT,NFLX,TSLA,PCLN,CRUS,QCOM,BBRY,T,VZ/view/e

 

Nine did better than AAPL today in terms of percentage loss in share price, and the rest did worse.  Apple simply moved with the market today.

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #85 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post


Widgets? Seriously? I played with Dashboard for a couple of weeks when I first got Tiger—had it disabled ever since. Widgets are the most worthless idea anybody's ever come up with.

 

When they were first 'imposed' on me on a PC, I found them absolutely annoying and hated them.  I don't use them on a PC because they just clutter things up and get in the way of me trying to do things.

 

When I switched from my iPhone to a bigger screen, I found them to be one of the best features available.  On my iPhone I always had to either grind through the web to get info, or switch between several different apps.  I don't think widgets would have worked well on the smaller screen phone because there just isn't enough real estate.  With a bigger screen I get my search widget, Now cards, weather widget, news, and stock ticker all on my main screen and still have room for the 'most used' apps and have moved my 'Grid of App Icons' screens on the non-main screens.  Most of the time now I just turn my phone on and look at it and have all the info I was looking for without having to do anything.

 

I'm sure a lot of people won't like them, but for those that either already do, or will choose to explore them for the first time- it may be another Apple 'wow' moment for them as I'm sure Apple will add some new elegance to them.

post #86 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Quote:
Well actually I have no interest in reading Samsung's earnings report. If AI wants to reference something from it maybe they should include the quote, or change the headline to reflect what the article actually covers.

So you want someone else to totally masticate your news and spit it directly into your mouth for you...?
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #87 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post
 

There are 18 stocks on my main tech watch list.   Go check them yourself.

 

http://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/AAPL,YHOO,IBM,P,AMZN,FB,TWTR,GOOG,INTC,MSFT,NFLX,TSLA,PCLN,CRUS,QCOM,BBRY,T,VZ/view/e

 

Nine did better than AAPL today in terms of percentage loss in share price, and the rest did worse.  Apple simply moved with the market today.

 

Yes, Apple isn't the entire market. When I see bizarre stock movement my first impulse is to check the news for unusual world events.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #88 of 117

Samsung really took their eye off the ball by obsessing about all things Apple -- copying them, bashing them, and now flooding the market with barely functional wearables in anticipation of what they think Apple might do next.  In the meantime, they got lazy with their smartphone designs -- resorting to benchmark cheats, spec bumps, and loading up their phones with useless and poorly implemented gimmicks. This has allowed their more established rivals to come in with better designed high end Android alternatives and post modest gains at Samsung's expense.

 

And on their backside, Samsung completely missed the threat represented by Chinese Android OEMs. The Chinese competitors have rapidly upped the ante, probably a lot faster than Samsung anticipated; and they seem content to scrape by with considerably lower margins, which Samsung cannot do if they don't want their stock to collapse. Because they share a common platform, these Chinese Android OEMs are a far greater threat to Samsung than Apple.

 

Of course, try convincing an analyst or tech blogger of that. They share the same myopic view of the market that Samsung seems to have. Focusing on perceived threats from Apple, rather than the far more real ones from their Android brethren.

 

By doing the heavy lifting with building their own platform, media content distribution, and closed loop app ecosystem, Apple has insulated themselves from the bloodletting in progress with the established Android OEMs. This affords them the freedom to play the long game, and take a more strategic approach with the platform and product roadmap. Stuff like laying the groundwork for 64-bit migration, scaling up the use of exotic materials like sapphire and Liquidmetal alloys, designing their own GPUs and basebands, secure payments, and various approaches to things such as real time map data and augmented reality that they have patented and may or may not introduce in future products. Because they don't share a common platform with their competitors, they don't have to implement a feature or follow the collapsing price points just because others are doing so.

 

Samsung does not have that luxury, and having these kinds of steep year-over-year declines in the introductory quarter for the Galaxy S5 is an indication that their market position has eroded considerably. They tried to hold things off as long as they could by stuffing the channel and flooding the market with BOGO and other promotions right out of the gate. But, high inventory levels and depressed margins seem to indicate that those efforts failed, and Samsung's now paying the price.


Edited by Woochifer - 7/31/14 at 2:57pm
post #89 of 117


We're sorry our profit dropped 30%. It's not 'cause our phones are shitty pieces of plastic, but 'cause the other guys got a better product. It's HIS fault.

 

F*ck I hate these guys

post #90 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
 

Samsung really took their eye off the ball by obsessing about all things Apple -- copying them, bashing them, and now flooding the market with barely functional wearables in anticipation of what they think Apple might do next.  In the meantime, they got lazy with their smartphone designs -- resorting to benchmark cheats, spec bumps, and loading up their phones with useless and poorly implemented gimmicks. This has allowed their more established rivals to come in with better designed high end Android alternatives.

 

And on their backside, Samsung completely missed the threat represented by Chinese Android OEMs. The Chinese competitors have rapidly upped the ante, probably a lot faster than Samsung anticipated; and they seem content to scrape by with considerably lower margins, which Samsung cannot do if they don't want their stock to collapse. Because they share a common platform, these Chinese Android OEMs are a far greater threat to Samsung than Apple.

 

Of course, try convincing an analyst or tech blogger of that. They share the same myopic view of the market that Samsung seems to have. Focusing on perceived threats from Apple, rather than the far more real ones from their Android brethren.

 

By doing the heavy lifting with building their own platform, media content distribution, and closed loop app ecosystem, Apple has insulated themselves from the bloodletting in progress with the established Android OEMs. This affords them the freedom to play the long game, and take a more strategic approach with the platform and product roadmap. Stuff like laying the groundwork for 64-bit migration, scaling up the use of exotic materials like sapphire and Liquidmetal alloys, designing their own GPUs and basebands, secure payments, and various approaches to things such as real time map data and augmented reality that they have patented and may or may not introduce in future products. Because they don't share a common platform with their competitors, they don't have to implement a feature just because somebody else has it.

 

Samsung does not have that luxury, and having these kinds of steep year-over-year declines in the introductory quarter for the Galaxy S5 is an indication that their market position has eroded considerably. They tried to hold things off as long as they could by stuffing the channel and flooding the market with BOGO and other promotions right out of the gate. But, high inventory levels and depressed margins seem to indicate that those efforts failed, and Samsung's now paying the price.

 

In 3-5 years the entire low-end smartphone market outside the US may be completely dominated by Chinese companies and Samsung will just be an unpleasant fuzzy memory.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #91 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevofl View Post

If Apple wanted to really put a nail in Samsung's coffin then lower the price tag on iPhone6 by about $100 adjusting/keeping the memory: $99 - 8Gb, $199 - 32Gb, $299 - 64Gb, $399 - 128Gb (hoping here).

The two most popular phones on the face of the earth are slated for a $100 slide in price in a couple months, that ought to do it.... Meanwhile the S5 isn't selling well at half price (BOGO) so while the top end is stuffed to bursting, Samsung is in even worse shape on the bottom end... outlets won't even let Samsung stuff their channels.

No word on whether Samsung out-spent the whole tech industry combined this year ... but it they haven't reeled in their advertising budget then they might as well; it's not working.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #92 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


So you want someone else to totally masticate your news and spit it directly into your mouth for you...?

 Isn't this the function of the media? A few people gather the news and report it to the many. You know, what you said without the hostility.

post #93 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

In 3-5 years the entire low-end smartphone market outside the US may be completely dominated by Chinese companies and Samsung will just be an unpleasant fuzzy memory.

If they're willing to load up their phones with high spec components and sell them practically at cost, these Chinese OEMs could wind up taking more than just the low end of the market. Samsung's only saving grace might be their willingness to outspend everybody on marketing (both on advertising and spiffs at retail, which is their very effective behind-the-scenes dirty work), and these Chinese OEMs potentially getting tied down by injunctions because of their even more blatant copying.

post #94 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post
 

There's also some poetic justice at play in this Samsung pickle...

While Samsung has been looking in the direction of Apple for something to copy and imitate, a slew of smaller Asian phone makers have been imitating Samsung's handsets and greatly undercutting Samsung's prices.

 

This situation points out what happens when your company has a lot of ambition, but much less strategy than ambition: you can find that you painted yourself into a corner in failing to have defined a distinctive level for your products and a clear path to follow through the competitive landscape.

I suspect that all those high margin refrigerators subsidize the phones.

post #95 of 117
Apple row their own canoe, an iPhone 6 will not be a "response" to anything, particularly anything Samsung has done.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #96 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Recall reading last week that Tizen is DOA.

 

Things not looking good for Sammy....

That's what I predicted...Tizen = DroidZen = DOA

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

 

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Reply

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

 

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Reply
post #97 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The threat of the iPhone6 is causing people not to buy phones right now

The iPhone 5c and 5s are selling very well: combined sales are up 12.7% from the year before.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #98 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

I've shared before, I take great pleasure in steering people away from buying Scamsung's products, e.g., informing my in-laws about Scamsung's total lack of ethics, which resulted in them changing their minds and buying an LG washer and dryer set, instead of the Scamsung models they were prepared to purchase. Did this hurt Scamsung much? No...BUT I sure felt good knowing I was making a difference, even if a small one.

Scamsung, may your bilges fill with putrid waters, may your sails rip to shreds, and may Steve Ballmer (or someone with his qualities) man the helm.

Bon voyage!

Well your not the only one. There are many out there including me that does the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

All I can say is, Apple better diversify its supply chain away from Samsung and look hard at its production dependence on China and any Chinese component suppliers too. An all-out war is brooding and it only takes one weak link in the chain to be broken (one supplier not providing something to Apple that Apple cannot source elsewhere) and Bam!, Apple can't build product. I wonder if this keeps Tim Cook up nights. It should.

Not really, I disagree. The component manufacturers market is something that goes through extensive bidding. There are a number of companies that have the tech to manufacture the parts. The only reason Samsungs doing it is coz they prolly have a faster / cheaper turn out rate.
post #99 of 117
Am I the only one that no longer finds humor in the variations of the word Samsung?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #100 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

All I can say is, Apple better diversify its supply chain away from Samsung and look hard at its production dependence on China and any Chinese component suppliers too. An all-out war is brooding and it only takes one weak link in the chain to be broken (one supplier not providing something to Apple that Apple cannot source elsewhere) and Bam!, Apple can't build product. I wonder if this keeps Tim Cook up nights. It should.

 

What would cause a supplier not to give Apple what they need? Are you suggesting that someone like Samsung would play games and cut off Apple? Would never happen. They would shot themselves in the foot and nobody else would ever trust them again to supply parts if they ran their business like 12 year olds and ignored contracts with customers. If you're referring to something larger (political or natural disaster) then there's nothing Apple (or anyone else) could do to prevent it anyway, so why worry?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Am I the only one that no longer finds humor in the variations of the word Samsung?

 

Yes it's a little childish. Just like people who put "i" in front of a word and think they're clever.

post #101 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post

You're missing the point. Google doesn't want the EU to treat it like a monopoly, meaning that it's in its own best interest for Apple to have about a 20% piece of the pie in Europe.

I appreciate your concern but no I am not missing any points. 'Gatoraid' is a schil for Google and takes every opportunity to pretend to write articles that seem supportive of Apple but are actually designed to sow seeds of doubt. I just enjoy calling him out on his crap.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #102 of 117
C'mon now, celebrating the shortcomings of Samsung serves no useful purpose. Apple has its own roadmap and strategy and doesn't spend two minutes worrying about what Samsung is doing. Samsung up or Samsung down, who cares?
post #103 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

C'mon now, celebrating the shortcomings of Samsung serves no useful purpose. Apple has its own roadmap and strategy and doesn't spend two minutes worrying about what Samsung is doing. Samsung up or Samsung down, who cares?

But they do care about what Shamsung is doing as the most recent trial showed. It's the reason so much of the Apple marketing is moving in-house. Schiller et al openly complained to TBWI (or whatever) about Shamesung's marketing taking away mindshare. Another case (pun intended) for Apple's caring about Scamsung are all the trials they've been in (though those are thankfully subsiding while Spamsung will soon be imploding).

Their shortcomings should be celebrated. If you steal and cheat and bash you better back it up, and they didn't. For the, what, third quarter in a row? Third quarter in a row lower profits? Third quarter in a row y-o-y losses? BOGO offers on your flagship phone on launch? A terrible "me too" fingerprint reader? A "me too" proclamation of having a 64-bit chip to suggest that it's not a big deal that Apple got there? Yeah, keep spending that $14 billion on marketing while you profits keep sinking and your sales keep shrinking.

As a wise man once said... 'How's my a** taste?' I can't wait for Cook to drop the hammer on these Spermsung fools this quarter.

I'm sure Cook is loving it.

*all Samdung name variations for @dasanman69's benefit 1smile.gif
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #104 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post
 

The Daily Telegraph in England made some interesting points about this today.  They said that ultimately as smartphones cease to be differentiated by hardware, and they made the point that once, for examples, screens become such high resolution that your eye can't discern an even higher resolution, people will end up buying phones based on:

 

  1. Familiarity
  2. Price

 

Familiarity is a function of the OS, so if you're into iOS, you will continue buying Apple, but if you're into Android, you can easily move from Samsung to someone else, and that someone else can easily be someone with lower price.

 

As the market matures, Apple are going to be ever more the only company in the space that makes any profit out of phones.

 

Let's not forget ease of use and truly innovative software developers choosing to prioritise iOS development to minimise hardware configurations.

 

I predict that security will begin to gain traction as an important driver when the public gain awareness about the key differences between iOS and Android.

post #105 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


The iPhone 5c and 5s are selling very well: combined sales are up 12.7% from the year before.


 Obviously people are still buying.  But a ton of people are waiting for the large screen iPhone to come out.  That includes Samsung owners and Apple owners.

post #106 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

C'mon now, celebrating the shortcomings of Samsung serves no useful purpose. Apple has its own roadmap and strategy and doesn't spend two minutes worrying about what Samsung is doing. Samsung up or Samsung down, who cares?

 

Don't care about your #1 competitor?

 

What is this, little league baseball where everyone gets a trophy?

 

of course Apple should care whats going on with Samsung

post #107 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

*all Samdung name variations for @dasanman69's benefit 1smile.gif

Thanks for your consideration lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #108 of 117
Everyone waiting for Apples new phones. Then let's see their earnings, quality always catches up w junk
post #109 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Don't care about your #1 competitor?

What is this, little league baseball where everyone gets a trophy?

of course Apple should care whats going on with Samsung

Apple isn't playing the same game that Samsung is playing. They have totally different focus, culture, and values. The fact that a rogue group within Samsung stole something of value from Apple and Samsung's parent company did nothing to penalize the group speaks volumes about how radically different Samsung is from Apple. Apple's attempts to get Samsung to pay for its crimes was done for reasons of righting a wrong and not for competitive concerns. Apple continues to source buttloads of components from Samsung, something they would never do if they saw Samsung as a competitive threat.

You may think that applying narrowly focused perspectives, which are characteristic of sports competitions, provides an accurate portrayal of the relationship between Apple and Samsung. But it's wrong. Apple is bigger and better than that and never takes its eyes off the only thing that really matters to them - their customers. Whether they get taken advantage of by unscrupulous parts suppliers or beaten up repeatly by self anointed experts and pundits they always stay the course and always lead with doing what's right for their customers and being accountable to their customers. Just look at the transcripts from any of their quarterly updates.

There is no trophy up for grabs between Apple and Samsung, and yes, Apple basically doesn't give a crap about Samsung's performance in the market because Apple only judges their success by what their customers tell them through their engagement in the Apple ecosystem. Apple has no time and no interest in celebrating failure of any kind. They have better things to do.
post #110 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

All I can say is, Apple better diversify its supply chain away from Samsung and look hard at its production dependence on China and any Chinese component suppliers too. An all-out war is brooding and it only takes one weak link in the chain to be broken (one supplier not providing something to Apple that Apple cannot source elsewhere) and Bam!, Apple can't build product. I wonder if this keeps Tim Cook up nights. It should.

Even though Samsung is at loggerheads with Apple on the devices front, their semiconductor manufacturing operates as an almost autonomous unit. For a manager responsible for hitting sales targets, what do they gain by cutting off their biggest customer?

 

Apple is the customer that everybody wants, because they pay up front and in full. If a component maker's fab has capacity issues, Apple will front the capital improvement costs. No other component customer can do all that, so Apple is very much in the driver's seat. Since Apple pays up front, rather than on delivery, they get first dibs on components and a supplier cannot simply withhold something that Apple already paid for, in favor of another customer.

 

Tim Cook is one of the foremost supply chain gurus on the planet. I'm sure he knows what he's doing, if the past 15 years is any indication.

post #111 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Am I the only one that no longer finds humor in the variations of the word Samsung?

I agree, Jasonman. It's terribly juvenile.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #112 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

*all Samdung name variations for @dasanman69's benefit 1smile.gif

Thanks for your consideration lol.gif

Good to see such politeness, asianman69.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #113 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Don't care about your #1 competitor?

What is this, little league baseball where everyone gets a trophy?

of course Apple should care whats going on with Samsung

Apple isn't playing the same game that Samdunghill is playing. They have totally different focus, culture, and values. The fact that a rogue group within Samsteal stole something of value from Apple and Samesung's parent company did nothing to penalize the group speaks volumes about how radically different Scamsung is from Apple. Apple's attempts to get Spitsnog to pay for its crimes was done for reasons of righting a wrong and not for competitive concerns. Apple continues to source buttloads of components from Samspants, something they would never do if they saw Shawshang as a competitive threat.

You may think that applying narrowly focused perspectives, which are characteristic of sports competitions, provides an accurate portrayal of the relationship between Apple and Shamesung. But it's wrong. Apple is bigger and better than that and never takes its eyes off the only thing that really matters to them - their customers. Whether they get taken advantage of by unscrupulous parts suppliers or beaten up repeatly by self anointed experts and pundits they always stay the course and always lead with doing what's right for their customers and being accountable to their customers. Just look at the transcripts from any of their quarterly updates.

There is no trophy up for grabs between Apple and Sam'sbun, and yes, Apple basically doesn't give a crap about Sadplum's performance in the market because Apple only judges their success by what their customers tell them through their engagement in the Apple ecosystem. Apple has no time and no interest in celebrating failure of any kind. They have better things to do.

Agreed (and edited for basinman69's enjoyment).
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #114 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I agree, Jasonman. It's terribly juvenile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good to see such politeness, asianman69.

Thanks bean jam frosting 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #115 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevofl View Post

I didn't say cheap.  Cheap implies reduced quality.

They wouldn't be throwing 15B away.  Cost of memory has dropped.  Apple hasn't had an adjustment to the pricing/memory in a number of generations; they are due for one.  Also they would be more attractive to a great number of other customers who are looking for a more cost effective phone.

If this strategy was so ineffective and against their goals, then why is there an 8Gb iPhone in some markets?

iPhone 6c
post #116 of 117
TheStreet has posted an article opining that things are going to get a lot worse for Samsung before they get better, and a view I don't disagree with.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/12828436/1/samsung-disappointing-numbers-will-be-worse-with-apples-next-iphone-release.html
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #117 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

There is no trophy up for grabs between Apple and Samsung, and yes, Apple basically doesn't give a crap about Samsung's performance in the market because Apple only judges their success by what their customers tell them through their engagement in the Apple ecosystem. Apple has no time and no interest in celebrating failure of any kind. They have better things to do.

http://recode.net/2014/04/04/internal-apple-document-shows-worries-iphone-growth-could-stall/

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung earnings disappoint as company blames competition in smartphone space