or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple likely to ship only 3 million 'iWatch' units this year, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says

Apple likely to ship only 3 million 'iWatch' units this year, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says - Page 2

post #41 of 72

I do kinda get the feeling that Apple already researched this iWatch thingie, found out it was impractical, boxed it, and started a rumor to get the other companies chasing the wrong rabbit. Its a thought that makes me smile though.

post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Apple did that in the past with some Mac Airs. Some of them had Samsung SSD and some of them Toshiba SSD. The ones with Samsung SSD were much faster.  http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/2011-macbook-air-shipping-with-fast-samsung-and-slow-toshiba-ssds/10701
Apple and oranges. You're talking about different manufacturers of SSDs. Just like getting an LG display in a MBP vs Samsung. As far as I know Apple doesn't advertise the supplier of components in their products. Glass and Sapphire are two completely different materials. I can't see Apple announcing a watch but not telling us whether the display is sapphire or glass. Especially if they are using sapphire. They would play that up as much as possible.
post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Boggles the mind, doesn't it?  Unsubstantiated rumors on an unannounced product push back a made-up launch date and reduce a wild-guess number of sales.  Oy.

Well, yeah…but at least, now we know!!!

post #44 of 72

Out of self respect, I am not going to read any more news from AI any longer.  I owe it to myself.

post #45 of 72
Given that this year is likely to be only a couple of months by the time it launches, 3 million units would be freakjng awesome

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #46 of 72

AppleInsider: You're as sleazy and misinformed as the analysts and pundits you make fun of for baking numbers and providing laughable predictions.

How in the world is this breaking news?!

If this is breaking news, can you quote me? Here I go: 

Quote:
 {null} 

There you go. Print it. There's nothing there (null), but it's better than the crap you do print. 

post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

I do kinda get the feeling that Apple already researched this iWatch thingie, found out it was impractical, boxed it, and started a rumor to get the other companies chasing the wrong rabbit. Its a thought that makes me smile though.

Or that iWatch is actually the new name of AppleTV since they can't use the name iTV. Man that would really throw everyone off. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is how Tim Cook feels about this rumor of MING

... and this is how Jony feels about the Ming

bb
bb
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Or that iWatch is actually the new name of AppleTV since they can't use the name iTV. Man that would really throw everyone off. 

Lol good one
post #50 of 72

What iWatch? Guess I missed the announcement.

post #51 of 72

As long as Apple releases the iWatch eventually the availability will be there.

post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Aww, Man! I was holding out. Boo!
And an alert on the iPhone app. Amazing! Apple may only sell a few million of an item they've yet to announce!
I believe the IOS app alerts all breaking news
post #53 of 72
Don't need or want an iWatch but limited supply makes me want to buy as many as possible for resale
post #54 of 72
Quote:

Nope, stereovideo glasses, like I said three or so months ago.
post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

28b6sde.jpg

The thing I'm most looking forward to in September is another 5 minute video of Ive using words like "sculpted aluminium" form and "expansive" display.

post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Sweet! I want to be an analyst. Let me give it a shot: I predict zero iPhone 7's will be sold this year because there were production problems and its release was delayed until fall of 2015 or 2016.

Sorry to piss on your parade but Gene Munster got there first! How's the Apple Television coming along Gene?

post #57 of 72
This is total conjecture. here is why:

All the iWatch rumors are just that, Apple has released no info on anything about an iWatch as far as I am aware.

Even if it is supposedly delayed which it isn't , Cook told us they would not release products all at once becaue it creates significant manufacturing problems doing everything at once.

The iPhone6, iPad, iWatch? , Mac release schedule will be phased to smoothly build devices and avoid compressing margins into shorter timeframes, all this "well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo " may have got his hands on is the planned release date and he is making the mistake of interpreting this as a "delay" based on an assumed September release date. Why didn't "well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo " actually think before he rushed to make this conclusion!

By far the most important release date is the iPhone6 because iPhones represents over 50% of Apples revenue source and Apple needs to get production ramped up as fast as possible to meet Christmas demand and soundly trounce the "Scambag evil empire" , the "iWatch?" will be less important initially in term of revenue but more important in terms of ecosystem/cloud strategy and integrating services. In an ideal world, it would be nice to be able to build and release millions of devices all at once but it simply isn't practical given the scale. So that is why they planned it's release later.

This "well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo " is making up fanciful conclusions based on rumors of rumors and conjecture. And now other sites are crossposting and using this article to spread more disinformation.

"well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo" indeed! ROFL wellconnect to what exactly? , I think he is well connected to something al right but that not printable here!

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #58 of 72
Today's Kuo statements have pushed me over the edge. While he's had some success in the past, I'd like to point out that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

This statement, "As a result, he predicts that at least half of finished "iWatch" products will ship with glass covers instead of sapphire", is so out of character with Apple's core values that anybody stating such is making stuff up.

A deaf, dumb and blind autistic quadriplegic knows that Apple would rather delay a launch, before it would ship less (in quality) than perfection. Suggesting that Apple would ship glass, knowing full well that within weeks it will ship sapphire is pure bullshit, I don't care who said it, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Sweet! I want to be an analyst. Let me give it a shot: I predict zero iPhone 7's will be sold this year because there were production problems and its release was delayed until fall of 2015 or 2016.

I predict zero iPhone 7s and iPhone 6s sold this year…because it will be called iPhone 8. 😛
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #60 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

This should be quite the accomplishment, since there never will be an iWatch.

This is such a perpetual rumour, we might as well tag it as the iWatchandWait.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Breaking news: I am declaring that my earlier prediction was wrong.

In other breaking news I am contradicting my earlier conjecture.

But are you well connected? With only 512kb of memory, maybe not.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #62 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

And yet AI throws this up on their website under the red "breaking" banner.

Breaking wind, perhaps.
lol.giflol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

On a side-note, I wish emojis could move independently of each other. I imagine people have been raising this issue for years, but have we seen any movement? Have we heck. Come on AI, get your act together.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

That guy has one hell of a crystal ball or I want to be on the drugs he is on. Where the hell do these guys pull these numbers from.

Their crystal balls, or an area near them.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprybry View Post

Out of self respect, I am not going to read any more news from AI any longer.  I owe it to myself.

Hope you don't run out of oxygen on your high horse.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #65 of 72
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

I do kinda get the feeling that Apple already researched this iWatch thingie, found out it was impractical, boxed it, and started a 
rumor to get the other companies chasing the wrong rabbit. Its a thought that makes me smile though.

I'd love that! The spaghetti junction of rumours would hit new highs. Guess you would control your iWatch with your iTime.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #66 of 72
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING RUMOUR SHOULD NOT BE READ IF YOU WEAR A PACEMAKER.

It is rumoured that Apple may have problems with production of products in the future that may or may not lead to delays which may or may not affect their release date.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprybry View Post

Hope you don't run out of oxygen on your high horse.

That retort was rather good! 

post #68 of 72
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
On a side-note, I wish emojis could move independently of each other. I imagine people have been raising this issue for years, but have we seen any movement? Have we heck. Come on AI, get your act together.

Oh, emoji aren’t animated. Unicode characters can’t have motion in them. The ones used here are just gifs, and when you have multiples the image isn’t loaded x number of times; it’s referenced x number of times and loaded once. So the timing on all references will be the same, since there’s only the single timeline loaded.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Oh, emoji aren’t animated. Unicode characters can’t have motion in them. The ones used here are just gifs, and when you have multiples the image isn’t loaded x number of times; it’s referenced x number of times and loaded once. So the timing on all references will be the same, since there’s only the single timeline loaded.

Gotya. So we can't have independent emoji? I was being deliberately belligerent in my initial complaint, as I'm sure you realised. I so wish I could use multiple rolling eyes emoji which move at different speeds. Guess I’ll have to go to my grave unsatiated…
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #70 of 72
Quite rediculous indeed. All comments are very valid. Just who NEEDS one of these? Even Star Trek nixed the idea of a wrist-based communications device in deference to the communicator pin. I know, I was making the wrist prototype to the wrist tricorder when it happened. I envision wearers twisting or flipping their wrists to void the "last entry" or cancel a misunderstood Siri command in a loud environment. And soon after the class action suit on behalf of wearers who've come down with wrist edema or cyst at the wrist or something. And new rules that suggest wearers not use their iwatch if doing anything else because it requires two hands to operate.
The saga is: small run does market test....for real. It's already started!
post #71 of 72
Quote:

Apologies for the language but how the f*ck does this qualify as "breaking" anything?!? 1rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Yeah he predicts a lot of junk. Shameless stock manipulation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Breaking wind, perhaps.

I think it would be awesome if either Apple sued these analysts for slander/libel or if the SEC were to investigate these mouthpieces for blatant stock manipulation or misrepresentation of facts.

Although there was this in 2010:  http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/115027/apple-analysts-under-sec-investigation-for-channel-checks

I knew at least two of you would have a rather sharp reaction. I clicked through their sources, and I cannot find any claims that are as boldly stated as the headline would suggest. You guys may want to lighten up on the analyst here, unless someone can point out some corroboration. I have links back to earlier AI stories and pages that I ran through google translate.

post #72 of 72
This is the way AAPL manages the launch of ALL new products. They never build to inventory without having tested real demand first. This is opposite Samsung/Microsoft who ALWAYS builds too much inventory and thus have to spend extra marketing efforts or provide deep discounts to clear out excess stock... Now, how come this is perceived negatively for AAPL? As a shareholder i am actually pleased with their inventory churns. Add to that, that this creates buzz because everyone have to wait in lines...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple likely to ship only 3 million 'iWatch' units this year, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says