or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple officially closes on $3B purchase of Beats headphones & streaming service

Apple officially closes on $3B purchase of Beats headphones & streaming service - Page 4

post #121 of 139

Not a word of sasrcasm. Recalibrate your sensors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Screw ‘em. You will pretend that this reply invalidates my argument.

Forgoing something best for you for something worse that will make you be seen as better is by definition irrational.

Screw 'em?  The world?  That's the rational approach?  I will not pretend anything, nor will I surreptitiously use hidden text to put words in someone's mouth.

"something best for you" is subjective.  It can be safely assumed that the people buying Beats over aurally superior price comparable headphones aren't highly motivated by the sound.  So what is best for them?  The respect and admiration of their peers probably figures quite high in that.  And hence it is a totally rational decision.  Doing the thing that accomplishes the goal is rational.

If you think the goal is irrational, well fine, but most of the world exists as an aesthetic, and people do care about style as in indicator of taste, prosperity and status.

censored

censored

post #122 of 139
Crowley, Sorry, but all I read in your posts is sarcasm. I can't even take your sensor recalibration advice seriously.

I accept the notion that irrational goals/thoughts are widespread but in the end rational thought/conclusions always win the war.
post #123 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

I accept the notion that irrational goals/thoughts are widespread but in the end rational thought/conclusions always win the war.

I don't think there's any particular evidence for that.  Turn on the news.

censored

censored

post #124 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Not a word of sasrcasm. Recalibrate your sensors.

Screw 'em?  The world?  That's the rational approach?  I will not pretend anything, nor will I surreptitiously use hidden text to put words in someone's mouth.
"something best for you" is subjective.  It can be safely assumed that the people buying Beats over aurally superior price comparable headphones aren't highly motivated by the sound.  So what is best for them?  The respect and admiration of their peers probably figures quite high in that.  And hence it is a totally rational decision.  Doing the thing that accomplishes the goal is rational.

If you think the goal is irrational, well fine, but most of the world exists as an aesthetic, and people do care about style as in indicator of taste, prosperity and status.
The sound and comfort of Beats headphones met their practical needs once they tried one since it was likely a huge step up from the EarPods they were using. Style and celebrity endorsements were added bonuses, unlikely the deciding factor. Most of them can't tell significant differences in audio quality of headphones in the same price range and naturally lean to a bassy sound because it affects their emotions more easily (a parlour's trick to impress). These people aren't audiophiles who happen to be a rare breed. If the sound and comfort had not met their needs the headphone would not have been purchased.

Yes a misguided audiophile would have bought the Beats headphone simply to receive respect and admiration from friends who are not audiophiles themselves. Not rational if his friends found out later he was an audiophile and wussed out on his dignity.
Edited by YvesVilleneuve - 8/5/14 at 2:58pm
post #125 of 139
Quote:

I don't think there's any particular evidence for that.  Turn on the news.
I see wars going on, what's your point.
post #126 of 139

My point is where is your evidence that rational thought and conclusions always win the war?   Large parts of the world are on fire, fundamentalist religion has as big a grip as ever, hatred, inequality, misery and cruelty are rife throughout, and Android is winning*.

Where is rationality winning?

* this bit is sarcastic

censored

censored

post #127 of 139
Here is one example but you can find as many as you want if you have a broad knowledge in history: the American Civil War to end legal slavery in that country. It is safe to say that legal slavery is never coming back to America.
post #128 of 139

One example does not make an always.  And depending on your interpretation of semantics, some would say that economic slavery is very much in force and legal America.  Plus of course, illegal slavery still very much exists worldwide as a shadow economy, including within the USA, so from one perspective the war hasn't even been won.

A broad knowledge of history will bring up copious examples of things heading in a distinctly irrational direction and getting very screwed up.  And people can live there lives in very irrational ways and not be particularly punished for it.

Lives are dictated as much by luck as by choices, and if you're lucky enough then even a litany of bad choices can end well.  Rational does not always win any more than good always wins, right always wind, or open always wins.  What wins is predicated on environment, culture, and a whole heap of chance.  To think otherwise is naïve.

censored

censored

post #129 of 139
Destructive beliefs lead to the destruction of humanity whereas expansive beliefs lead to human expansion. Which beliefs are worth fighting for the most? Keep in mind, want for survival is basic human nature. Everybody possesses this survival instinct.

There are ongoing wars that have yet to be permanently settled. Correctly pinpointing the target and rational for fighting a war is not always simple. No one should believe wars are easily fought and won.
post #130 of 139

Don't majorly disagree with any of that (though I'd caveat that destruction isn't always a negative thing), but we've gotten rather off topic here :lol:

censored

censored

post #131 of 139
The destruction of the human species is never a good thing. People who think it are not being rational.
post #132 of 139
Quote:

The destruction of the human species is never a good thing.

I just hate when that happens. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #133 of 139

On an individual level it will be a tragedy.  On a global level, with the overpopulation and inflation and starvation (and the crazy poiliticians) it may be a form of self-regulation, and not entirely negative.

And destruction aside from human destruction can be a good thing.  Sometimes you have to tear things down to build them back stronger.  Destruction may seem to be the opposite to creation, but it can also be the precursor to it.

censored

censored

post #134 of 139
Quote:

On an individual level it will be a tragedy.  On a global level, with the overpopulation and inflation and starvation (and the crazy poiliticians) it may be a form of self-regulation, and not entirely negative.

And destruction aside from human destruction can be a good thing.  Sometimes you have to tear things down to build them back stronger.  Destruction may seem to be the opposite to creation, but it can also be the precursor to it.
Agree with everything you said here.
post #135 of 139
The destruction of the human species is never a good thing. People who think it are not being rational.

I always marvel at people who honestly don’t have a Humanity First mindset. They’re threats to civilization.

...with the overpopulation...

What overpopulation?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #136 of 139
I assumed he presented a cycle that begins with overpopulation though he did not present it as such clearly.

Overpopulation only exists when there isn't enough food and water to feed and hydrate everyone.
post #137 of 139

Oh do shut up TS.

censored

censored

post #138 of 139
Oh do shut up TS.

lol no.

post #139 of 139
"August 2011 HTC bought a controlling 50.1% share in Beats Electronics for $309 million dollars.
A year later HTC sold half its share back to Beats Electronics and in September 2013 it finally sold off the remaining 25% back to Beats for $265 million."
Makes the whole company 1.06 Billion as per Sep, 2013. Some months later Apple buys it for 3 Billion. Did I ever read this anywhere in Appleinsider? Why not? It was greatly over-priced I guess, just as the Beats Headphones are. I tested a 300 EUR Beats Headphone in Media-Markt,Germany last week - bad, really bad for the price. My 43 EUR Sennheiser doesn't sound any worse than it.
#I am an Apple shareholder, by the way. I think Tim is a great CEO and this is the first think
he bought that I find over-priced, so I guess he gets the benefit of doubt.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple officially closes on $3B purchase of Beats headphones & streaming service