or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple officially closes on $3B purchase of Beats headphones & streaming service
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple officially closes on $3B purchase of Beats headphones & streaming service - Page 2

post #41 of 139

Shame that a company that actually makes high-quality, premium products felt the need to buy a company that makes garbage and is temporarily successful. They are nothing more than a fashion accessory.

post #42 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1 View Post
 

Shame that a company that actually makes high-quality, premium products felt the need to buy a company that makes garbage and is temporarily successful. They are nothing more than a fashion accessory.


And Apple products are not fashion accessories?

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #43 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


And Apple products are not fashion accessories?

They are tasteful. That's a significant part of their longevity.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #44 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


And Apple products are not fashion accessories?
But they're also high quality products. Can you say that about Beats?
post #45 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


But they're also high quality products. Can you say that about Beats?

 

This doesn't mean Apple can make it high quality. The name is already out there and is known by millions. The hard part is already done. Building a brand people known and love is REALLY REALLY hard to do. This is already done. Now, if Apple can engineer some decent sounding speakers to go inside this brand people know how can you not succeed?

 

On another note, I doubt this was simply for its headphones business, but rather its music business. The CEO of Beats has some very nice connections and knows the music industry inside and out. Being able to get deals no one else can get and things like this will more than pay off the $3 Billion it acquired Beats for. 


Edited by macxpress - 8/1/14 at 10:30am

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #46 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

So you admit that Apple could have bought Shure and made it more stylish and the brand name Apple and command a price premium?

 

It isn't about the headphones!

If it was- its a ridiculously dumb acquisition.

 

Nope.  Much harder to add STYLE than TECH.

 

Beats already has a powerful brand in FASHION and HIP HOP.

If adding style to headphones was so easy than Shure would have done it by now and dominate the industry.

 

Just sit down and relax.

Let the professionals do their job.

Obviously you don't know the first thing about the hip hop culture.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #47 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

 

Beats can't even be mentioned in the same breath as Louis Vuitton, so don't waste your time with an inane comparison like that.  Beats might have been the male version of Coach bags.  Maybe.  

Apple could have designed their own headphones if that is what they were after.  They weren't.  They were after Jimmy and his relationships with the industry + Beats music, which is pretty decent as a standalone service.  Hardly worth the 3 bln price tag in my opinion.   But it's a drop in the bucket when you have as much money as Apple, and my shares haven't suffered.  So I'm ok  :-D

 

Yes it can.  In the hip hoop culture its every bit as big as LV.

LV is old money.

Beats is new money.

Both are respected big time in the hip hop culture.

AGain you need to STFU about stuff you know nothing about (hip hop culture)

 

Apple bought Beats for all the above - head phone line, blutooth speaker line, Jimmy, Beats music, ect.

Again just the STFU and let the professionals do their thing.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #48 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


They are tasteful. That's a significant part of their longevity.

 

Tasteful to you.

 

Fashion is not FACTS.  Its opinions.

 

You know nothing about the hip hop culture. Just admit you don't get it and leave it alone.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #49 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Yes it can.  In the hip hoop culture its every bit as big as LV.

LV is old money.

Beats is new money.

Both are respected big time in the hip hop culture.

AGain you need to STFU about stuff you know nothing about (hip hop culture)

 

Apple bought Beats for all the above - head phone line, blutooth speaker line, Jimmy, Beats music, ect.

Again just the STFU and let the professionals do their thing.

 

Isn't it great when the so called "experts" here know how to run Apple better than Apple? Nobody even knows the specifics yet the "experts" can have criticisms. I'm waiting for the if Steve were alive crap to start from someone. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #50 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


But they're also high quality products. Can you say that about Beats?

 

Who says beats are not high quality? 

And that's not even the point.  They are a fashion accessory first and foremost.

Just get that through your head first.

 

Its like arguing that a digital watch is much more accurate than a rolex so why would people choose to spend 10x more for a rolex?  Its about STYLE STUPID. (stupid is not directed to you, just a saying)

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #51 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

Isn't it great when the so called "experts" here know how to run Apple better than Apple? Nobody even knows the specifics yet the "experts" can have criticisms. I'm waiting for the if Steve were alive crap to start from someone. 

 

Exactly.

 

Apple is the most valuable company in the world, the most profitable, and has the most powerful name.

 

Yet some people here refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt.  Even though they don't even have all the information.

 

That just shows their PURE ARROGANCE or PREJUDICE. 

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #52 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This doesn't mean Apple can make it high quality. The name is already out there and is known by millions. The hard part is already done. Building a brand people known and love is REALLY REALLY hard to do. This is already done. Now, if Apple can engineer some decent sounding speakers to go inside this brand people know how can you not succeed?

On another note, I doubt this was simply for its headphones business, but rather its music business. The CEO of Beats has some very nice connections and knows the music industry inside and out. Being able to get deals no one else can get and things like this will more than pay off the $3 Billion it acquired Beats for. 
But Apple's not really known for great headphones. I think Apple could improve the quality of the design. But that's a tricky situation as Beats stuff has been designed by Robert Brunner's design firm and he's the guy who hired Jony Ive at Apple and was his boss there for 4 years until he left and a Ive replaced him. It will be interesting to see what Apple does. Do they use the Beats brand to expand further into the accessories market? Or are they hands off and just milk the current stuff?
post #53 of 139
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Again all you old white men need to STFU already. 

 

And so why should anyone listen to an exclusionist like you?

post #54 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Who says beats are not high quality? 
And that's not even the point.  They are a fashion accessory first and foremost.
Just get that through your head first.

Its like arguing that a digital watch is much more accurate than a rolex so why would people choose to spend 10x more for a rolex?  Its about STYLE STUPID. (stupid is not directed to you, just a saying)
I've had two pairs of Beats. The cords frayed on both rendering them useless. I paid well over $100 for them. After the second pair broke I returned them to Best Buy and spent the money on a nice pair of Klipsch and haven't looked back. I get that Beats is all about fashion but Apple has proved you can be fashionable and provide a superior quality product. Beats have the fashion (though I think some of it is ugly), they have the brand and the high price (so they can consider themselves "premium") what they're missing is quality. If Apple can bring the quality, great.
post #55 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

You mean the free ones that comes with the phone?  Ya- they're worth every penny I paid for them.

 

 

Just because they were bundled doesn't mean you didn't pay for them.

post #56 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I've had two pairs of Beats. The cords frayed on both rendering them useless. I paid well over $100 for them. After the second pair broke I returned them to Best Buy and spent the money on a nice pair of Klipsch and haven't looked back. I get that Beats is all about fashion but Apple has proved you can be fashionable and provide a superior quality product. Beats have the fashion (though I think some of it is ugly), they have the brand and the high price (so they can consider themselves "premium") what they're missing is quality. If Apple can bring the quality, great.

 

I think that's exactly what Apple is thinking.

 

Apple could build their own headphone brand but it would take a very long time to reach the penetration of Beats.  Its alot easier to add Tech to a device than Style.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #57 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

And so why should anyone listen to an exclusionist like you?

 

Don't listen to me.  Listen to the hip hop culture. Go listen instead of relying on your own opinion of the product.  If Beats does not appeal to you its probably because it wasn't suppose to.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #58 of 139
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Listen to the hip hop culture.

 

Nah, I’m good with not objectifying women or popping caps in people.

 
Thats why i said STFU.

 

Oh, I get it! Because that’s what hip hop would say: not articulate an argument at all, just drop it old school on you. Makes sense now.

 
If Beats does not appeal to you its probably because it wasn't suppose to.

 

So why would Apple want to keep it around in its current form, then?

post #59 of 139
iStillBored and iDon'tCare
post #60 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Don't listen to me.  Listen to the hip hop culture.  Thats why i said STFU.  Go listen instead of relying on your own opinion of the product.  If Beats does not appeal to you its probably because it wasn't suppose to.

Why are you saying Beats Music equals Hip Hop culture? You seem fixed on this idea and it just isn't true. Please explain because your prejudice is getting wearisome.

 

Here are three reviews (arbitrarily picked) and they all suggest that you are talking utter crap.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/beats-music-service,review-2002.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2430224,00.asp

http://www.businessinsider.com/beats-versus-spotify-2014-1

 

post #61 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Nah, I’m good with not objectifying women or popping caps in people.

 

Oh, I get it! Because that’s what hip hop would say: not articulate an argument at all, just drop it old school on you. Makes sense now.

 

So why would Apple want to keep it around in its current form, then?

 

There you go again with your STEREOTYPING and PREJUDGING.

Your own words out you there.  If you think the hip hop culture is just gangster rap you truly are ignorant.

 

Hip hop includes guys like Lebron James, Kobe, Will.i.am, Rafael Nadal, RG3 and Neymar Jr. 

But of course your PREJUDGING won't allow that.

 

You sound like those old white guys in the 60's that said Rock and Roll was the DEVIL

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #62 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I think that's exactly what Apple is thinking.

Apple could build their own headphone brand but it would take a very long time to reach the penetration of Beats.  Its alot easier to add Tech to a device than Style.
Since when is Apple known for great headphone tech? I hope they improve the style and quality of design, like not using cheap plastic.
post #63 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
 

Why are you saying Beats Music equals Hip Hop culture? You seem fixed on this idea and it just isn't true. Please explain because your prejudice is getting wearisome.

 

 

 

I'm saying Beats headphones not the streaming music.

 

And my definition of hip hop is probably more broad than yours.  I'm not just talking about gangster rappers.  I consider guys like Lebron, Neymar Jr, Kobe, Will Smith as part of the hip hop culture.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #64 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Since when is Apple known for great headphone tech? I hope they improve the style and quality of design, like not using cheap plastic.

 

Margins.  Margins.  Margins.

 

Apple could not use high end tech because they sell their headphones for $30.

But if they sold Beats for $300.........

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #65 of 139
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

There you go again with your STEREOTYPING and PREJUDGING. Your own words out you there.


When the words of the songs themselves say the things I am saying, it’s neither pre- nor stereo- anything.

 
You sound like those old white guys in the 60's that said Rock and Roll was the DEVIL 

 

‘50s. And before that, swing music was lascivious.

post #66 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 


When the words of the songs themselves say the things I am saying, it’s neither pre- nor stereo- anything.

 

‘50s. And before that, swing music was lascivious.

 

Gangster rap is a very small part of hip hop.

In fact I'd say gangster rap has lost much of its popularity and isn't even part of main stream hip hop.

 

Its like saying that Rock is only Heavy Metal or head banger music. 


Edited by sog35 - 8/1/14 at 11:24am
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #67 of 139
I wonder to what extent the connections to the media industry through Iovine is linked to their struggle related to the revamped appleTV?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
post #68 of 139
Was it ever determined that the purchase was done with
unrepatriated foreign cash, since both Beats and Apple Inc.
have Irish subsidiaries, possibly saving taxes, per:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/23/apple-could-save-over-1b-on-alleged-beats-deal-with-international-acquisition---report
post #69 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

There you go again with your STEREOTYPING and PREJUDGING.

 

 

Like when you called us old white people?  You're utterly ridiculous

post #70 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

I'm saying Beats headphones not the streaming music.

 

And my definition of hip hop is probably more broad than yours.  I'm not just talking about gangster rappers.  I consider guys like Lebron, Neymar Jr, Kobe, Will Smith as part of the hip hop culture.

Don't forget Justin Bieber.

post #71 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

I'm saying Beats headphones not the streaming music.

 

And my definition of hip hop is probably more broad than yours.  I'm not just talking about gangster rappers.  I consider guys like Lebron, Neymar Jr, Kobe, Will Smith as part of the hip hop culture.

OK, I was reading you wrong. 

 

I am not really all that interested in the hardware aspect of the deal, personally. I have no problems with it.

post #72 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
...

Again all you old white men need to STFU already. 

You know nothing about the hip hop culture.  Just stop making a fool of yourself.  Just admit you don't get it and leave it alone.  You are sounding like the 60 year old man who has no idea why you would need a touch screen on a phone.

 

Your "old white men" bullshit is very tiresome.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #73 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

Your "old white men" bullshit is very tiresome.

 

is used as sarcasim.

Same as people saying only Black gangsters like Beats.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #74 of 139
To the guy (Sog35) who thinks Hip Hop is the most relevant music genre in existence, the fact is Pop, R&B and Rock markets are all much bigger than Hip Hop/Rap. Check with Billboard or any publication in the world for these facts. You are entitled to your delusions (you sound like Kanye West, are you?), don't let anyone take them away from you.
post #75 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Beats are about a combination of decent tech and style.

Beats is more a designer brand than tech brand.

 

If it was all about the tech than the professional brands would dominate.

 

To make it into the mainstream for wearables you need style.  PERIOD.  No matter how good the product is the general population won't wear something if it looks goofy.

 

No, they're garbage tech.  They're bass-boosting, audio compressing and muddying, low-grade amplifying headphones.  And the speakers - ugh.  No separation, same crummy sound.

 

Style is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but to me they're UGLY.  Apple could make a much better looking headphone product, and Apple typically works with better audio companies, for example their Harmon Kardon soundstick speakers were quite nice for computer speakers. 

 

Even Bose would have been a better choice.

post #76 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
 

 

No, they're garbage tech.  They're bass-boosting, audio compressing and muddying, low-grade amplifying headphones.  And the speakers - ugh.  No separation, same crummy sound.

 

Style is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but to me they're UGLY.  Apple could make a much better looking headphone product, and Apple typically works with better audio companies, for example their Harmon Kardon soundstick speakers were quite nice for computer speakers. 

 

Even Bose would have been a better choice.

Love the Bose streaming service ...

post #77 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

The point is that Apple now controls the majority of the headphone market. I'm not sure how that's not a significant enough "point" by itself. 9/10 people I see with headphones are wearing Beats. Apple can now improve the product as they see fit, but they already have the marketshare and brandshare. 

Makes sense

post #78 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

is used as sarcasim.

Same as people saying only Black gangsters like Beats.

 

Except NOBODY SAID THAT. 

 

Nor would we.  I didn't have any idea what Beats headphones were when I heard of this deal with Apple.  So I did some research and discovered that they're an overpriced crap product.  And yes, I even tried listening for myself - nope, crap.  I don't care who likes the products I use, I'm not going to stop using Macs because Rush F*ing Limbaugh uses them.  But Beats does not have a good product. 

 

So no, your racism is not appreciated.

post #79 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

is used as sarcasim.

Same as people saying only Black gangsters like Beats.

 

I haven't been able to find this in any thread.  Can you post a link? 

post #80 of 139
Apple please fix the sound quality and hardware build.
I will then be happy with this acquisition.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple officially closes on $3B purchase of Beats headphones & streaming service