or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mystery over for Google's Glass barges as Maine ship sold for scrap

Mystery over for Google's Glass barges as Maine ship sold for scrap - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Aw, sorry Google!
So much for those 'off-shore' profits!

So much for trying to "barge" into the wearable computing market.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Maybe it was just a way to test out some device or other.  

They were just testing the waters.

This story goes to show that San Francisco doesn't play. I remember someone from the city saying Giggle thought they were big and bad and above the law. Giggle thought they could do what they wanted so San Francisco gave them the boot. tough city.
I would like to see Apple with this attitude.
post #43 of 52
Next, they can build a large wooden badger...
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Why doesn't Carl Icahn (or someone like him) show up at Google shareholder meetings asking about this boondoggle, funded by shareholder money?

Apple puts Dyson hand dryers in their restrooms and people ask, "Why?!" 

Largely because Carl Icahn can buy Apple shares, and then force propositions and vote on them.

Since Larry and Sergey have well over 50% of Googles voting shares, nobody can meaningfully propose anything.  Carl could buy billions, start a whole movement, and get every single Google shareholder (including Eric Schmidt) on his side, and have every single one demand Larry resign.....

Larry & Sergey vote: No.   

Well that settles that.

Their ownership percentage got dilluted over the years as they gave out stock options.  Their recent stock split was largely designed to counteract that.  They split the shares value, but created the new shares as a class of stock than has no voting rights.

All in favor of that proposal:

Larry & Sergey:  Aye!    

That settled that :p

If you like to be an activist investor or invest in companies that are prone to Icahns and Greenlight capital type firms, Google is not for you.

If you don't mind your only 'vote' being to buy or sell shares and let the company leadership run the company, there are quite a few firms that took the Google structure into their foundation.

There are merits to either system

post #45 of 52
When they sink barges that sell novelty glasses they don't consider the bloody ROI. If you don't like that then get out of the stock.
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

It is absolutely amazing how little analysts are writing about another waste of time and money Google has spent on these barges. If Apple did something like this, there would be no shortage of rage coming from nearly every analyst and would-be analyst in the world. Oh well. I will take the silence for Google and the noise for Apple as analysts really caring about what Apple does with its time and money! :lol:

Anything Google does will be praised by Wall Street and the news media, just as anything Apple does will be scorned by Wall Street and the news media.  It's just a matter of how some people see Apple.  They obviously think that Tim Cook isn't a competent CEO and that's why they're always referring back to Steve Jobs.  Google Glass is pretty much of a waste and so is the Glass barge.  Neither of them have much value or add to Google's bottom line.  You're right.  None of us are going to see dozens of refried articles about how Google messed up or failed with this Glass barge.  Probably no one really cares.  It's OK if Google makes mistakes but any mistake Apple makes will somehow lead to the downfall or ruination of the company.

post #47 of 52
I assume the barges will be filled with unsold inventory.
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Seemed like a dumb idea if it was in fact for consumers to preview Glass. Did Google ever say for certain what the barges would be used for specifically? Not sure myself, but the whole thing sounded weird if the news articles were anywhere near accurate.

As far as Glass itself it's not anywhere near ready for general consumers IMO. Maybe Gen2 instead and use this version for the pros like doctors, techs, firemen, etc that are evaluating it.

Why be surprised? Google has two heads. The two kids that had a few great ideas early on back when Steve mentored them. Then Eric Shit took over and Google rips off Apple's IP. So we have the original kids that still get excited by wild, crazy ideas and and then there is the cold, evil side run my Shit. Schizophrenia is Googles MO these days. That's my take anyway, I'm sure you disagree.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #49 of 52

The SS Motorola.

post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

One thing I do like about Google: they try some weird stuff. Map the world? Street view the world?
You try weird things some times it won't pan out. Some times it will.

sorry, but Google BOUGHT Keyhole which already had mapped the world (and Mars). I used to subscribe to Keyhole back in the day. Well, they did add to the data set that was there at least. But it sure as hell wasn't something they 'tried', it was something they 'bought'.
Edited by palomine - 8/3/14 at 8:45pm
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

sorry, but Google BOUGHT Keyhole which already had mapped the world (and Mars).... they did add to the data set that was there at least.

Imagine they have. The Keyhole purchase was about 10 years ago. 1smoking.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #52 of 52
I assume the barges are full of What Eric Shithead does best?

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Mystery over for Google's Glass barges as Maine ship sold for scrap