or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Brains behind subscription Beats Music to also oversee Apple's iTunes Radio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brains behind subscription Beats Music to also oversee Apple's iTunes Radio

post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers will assume control of Apple's iTunes Radio service, according to a new report, uniting both of Apple's streaming music services under a single executive as the company gears up for a renewed assault on incumbent industry leaders Spotify and Pandora.




The purported leadership change comes on the same day that Apple officially welcomed Beats as a subsidiary, and less than one week after reports of Beats staff being laid off as Apple identified synergies between the two companies. Rogers's new role was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

Though Rogers has been notably absent from the media circus surround Apple's $3 billion acquisition of Beats, Apple CEO Tim Cook specifically called him out in a tweet earlier Friday. In the missive, Cook welcomed "Jimmy, Dre, Luke, Ian and the entire beats team," including both Rogers and Beats Electronics CEO Luke Wood, who has kept a similarly low profile since the deal was announced.

Rogers made his bones in the music industry as a website developer for the Beastie Boys, eventually being hired by Yahoo to lead the portal's music division. Jimmy Iovine tabbed Rogers to run the new Beats Music division January of 2013.

With Rogers's new role confirmed, the only Beats executive left in the lurch is Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor, who doubled as the music service's Chief Creative Officer. It is still unknown what role, if any, Reznor will fill at Apple.
post #2 of 65
"Rogers made his bones in the music industry as a website developer for the Beastie Boys, eventually being hired by Yahoo to lead the portal's music division."

See? Web development isn't necessarily a dead-end job after all!

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #3 of 65
Ok Apple now hire someone to oversee Apple TV so we can finally get a new product there. Let Eddy focus on back end stuff like iCloud, maps and Siri.
post #4 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok Apple now hire someone to oversee Apple TV so we can finally get a new product there. Let Eddy focus on back end stuff like iCloud, maps and Siri.

The only thing Eddy should be focused on is retirement planning. Since Steve died he's proved to be ****ing useless.
post #5 of 65
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post
The only thing Eddy should be focused on is retirement planning. Since Steve died he's proved to be ****ing useless.


Your proof of this is what?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #6 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The only thing Eddy should be focused on is retirement planning. Since Steve died he's proved to be ****ing useless.
I thought it was interesting thar Cue didn't get any stage time at WWDC even though there were a number of iCloud/App Store announcements. I still think he has too much on his plate. iTunes, AppStore and Apple TV should be split and given to someone else. App Store still isn't great for app discovery and it doesn't seem like Cue is making much headway on content deals for Apple TV. Cue has more than enough to focus on with iCloud, Maps and Siri. All there have room for improvement.

What will be most interesting is when iOS 8 and Yosemite go live. If all this iCloud stuff doesn't "just work" there's going to be a lot of unhappy customers. Depending on how the roll out goes this fall I think we'll know whether Cue is planning retirement or not.
post #7 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Your proof of this is what?
Spending $3B on Beats? No new Apple TV?
post #8 of 65
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Spending $3B on Beats? No new Apple TV?

 

So no proof, then.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #9 of 65
In that case, you could argue the same about Eric Schmidt over at Google. Since he left Apple's board, he has been useless!
post #10 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So no proof, then.

Agreed. No proof. Rogifan tends to write words she cannot and will not back up.
post #11 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So no proof, then.

No proof that you accept. If Apple are buying a company for $3B partially because of it's streaming service what does that tell you about the in house development and management of the existing streaming service?

If they then make the manager of the acquired service the manager of the unified steaming service. What does that tell you?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #12 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought it was interesting thar Cue didn't get any stage time at WWDC even though there were a number of iCloud/App Store announcements. I still think he has too much on his plate. iTunes, AppStore and Apple TV should be split and given to someone else. App Store still isn't great for app discovery and it doesn't seem like Cue is making much headway on content deals for Apple TV. Cue has more than enough to focus on with iCloud, Maps and Siri. All there have room for improvement.

What will be most interesting is when iOS 8 and Yosemite go live. If all this iCloud stuff doesn't "just work" there's going to be a lot of unhappy customers. Depending on how the roll out goes this fall I think we'll know whether Cue is planning retirement or not.

Why just point out Eddy Cue? How about everyone who did not get any stage time? Obviously, the star of the show was Craig. His leadership work will be the face of Apple's products in the coming months. And, he is busting ass (and hair) to get the front-end working as well as possible.
post #13 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Why just point out Eddy Cue? How about everyone who did not get any stage time? Obviously, the star of the show was Craig. His leadership work will be the face of Apple's products in the coming months. And, he is busting ass (and hair) to get the front-end working as well as possible.

Craig's predominance at the WWDC is probably also bad news for big Phil.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #14 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No proof that you accept. If Apple are buying a company for $3B partially because of it's streaming service what does that tell you about the in house development and management of the existing streaming service?

If they then make the manager of the acquired service the manager of the unified steaming service. What does that tell you?

This tells me Apple tried to do something well, discovered its efforts were not exceptional enough to be happy with, decided to bring someone with a proven track record on to the team to take Apple where it thinks it needs to go. Seems damn obvious to me.
post #15 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Craig's predominance at the WWDC is probably also bad news for big Phil.

I am guessing Phil be visible with the releases of the new hardware later this year.
post #16 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

This tells me Apple tried to do something well, discovered its efforts were not exceptional enough to be happy with, decided to bring someone with a proven track record on to the team to take Apple where it thinks it needs to go. Seems damn obvious to me.

Which is a demotion for the guy who wasn't exceptional. He cost the company.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

I am guessing Phil be visible with the releases of the new hardware later this year.

We'll see. Like forstall I think he was more Steve's guy.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #18 of 65
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
No proof that you accept.

 

No, no proof whatsoever. Nothing that has been posted proves that Eddy Cue has done nothing.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #19 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, no proof whatsoever. Nothing that has been posted proves that Eddy Cue has done nothing.

Again. Nothing that you will accept.

1) Eddy cue was in charge of iTunes Radio.
2) It didn't work out. Wasn't a success.
3) Apple buys a company in - the most expensive in their history - In part to better this service, and removes Cue from position of iTunes Radio head.

TS believes there is nothing to see here. Most people would see it as a wake up call.

(He was in charge of too much to be fair. )
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #20 of 65
I recall seeing a picture of Steve, Phil, Scott, Jony, Eddie and Tony. I am uncertain if Tim was in it or not. Steve is gone (rest his soul). Tony is gone. Scott is gone. People are aching for Eddie and Phil to be gone. Jony must be sweating right now.
post #21 of 65
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
Again. Nothing that you will accept.

 

If this is the extent of your argument, you may as well stop posting.

 
2) It didn't work out. Wasn't a success.

 

Funny that you think this.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #22 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No proof that you accept. If Apple are buying a company for $3B partially because of it's streaming service what does that tell you about the in house development and management of the existing streaming service?

If they then make the manager of the acquired service the manager of the unified steaming service. What does that tell you?
Exactly. Google didn't need to spend $3B to develop a Spotify competitor. Does music "curation" really cost $3B?
post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

I recall seeing a picture of Steve, Phil, Scott, Jony, Eddie and Tony. I am uncertain if Tim was in it or not. Steve is gone (rest his soul). Tony is gone. Scott is gone. People are aching for Eddie and Phil to be gone. Jony must be sweating right now.
Some people wanted him gone after iOS 7. 1wink.gif
post #24 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Again. Nothing that you will accept.

1) Eddy cue was in charge of iTunes Radio.
2) It didn't work out. Wasn't a success.
3) Apple buys a company in - the most expensive in their history - In part to better this service, and removes Cue from position of iTunes Radio head.

TS believes there is nothing to see here. Most people would see it as a wake up call.

(He was in charge of too much to be fair. )

iTunes Radio was not a success by whose measurements? Just because ITunes Radio did not destroy Pandora and Spotify does not mean it failed. How many listeners will it take for iTunes Radio to be a success in your eyes? I have seen and listened to improvements in iTunes Radio from the first day it became available.

Eddie Cue got Apple from nowhere to where it is today. It ranks well against the more established competitors. Now someone new is coming in to take iTunes Radio to a higher level. There should be no doubt Eddie will be learning from the new guy.

As for prepping for retirement, I think many of the people who have gotten Apple where it is today is training others to take over the company and keep it running as smoothly as possible.
post #25 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If this is the extent of your argument, you may as well stop posting.

It wasn't. As any sane person who read my post could see I then - in the bits you didn't quote - I explained my reasoning.
Quote:
Funny that you think this.

If this is the extent of your argument, you may as well stop posting.

I had three (related) points, they were helpfully enumerated . Feel free to rebut the points rather than selective quotes, and wry commentary.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #26 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Why just point out Eddy Cue? How about everyone who did not get any stage time? Obviously, the star of the show was Craig. His leadership work will be the face of Apple's products in the coming months. And, he is busting ass (and hair) to get the front-end working as well as possible.
Because cue has been on stage in the past to discuss iCloud/App Store. I'm sure it means nothing more than Apple wanted a tight event with as few speakers as possible (in stark contrast to Google I/O which has tons of speakers and goes on for far to long).
post #27 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

iTunes Radio was not a success by whose measurements? Just because ITunes Radio did not destroy Pandora and Spotify does not mean it failed. How many listeners will it take for iTunes Radio to be a success in your eyes? I have seen and listened to improvements in iTunes Radio from the first day it became available.

How about this. iTunes Radio would have been a success for Apple if they didn't have to buy in another company to replace the service.

Do you seriously think that you would be making this argument if Samsung tried their hand at a radio service and then spent $3B buying another?

Give over. Cue failed to deliver.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #28 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Agreed. No proof. Rogifan tends to write words she cannot and will not back up.
Would you not agree that Cue has a lot on his plate and perhaps splitting up content from backend/maps/Siri might be a good idea? I think iTunes/AppStore/Apple TV could easily be a full time job. Same with iCloud/Maps/Siri.
post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

We'll see. Like forstall I think he was more Steve's guy.

Not sure about that.

http://kensegall.com/2014/06/apples-marketing-rethink-not-exactly-a-surprise/
post #30 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

How about this. iTunes Radio would have been a success for Apple if they didn't have to buy in another company to replace the service.

Do you seriously think that you would be making this argument if Samsung tried their hand at a radio service and then spent $3B buying another?

Give over. Cue failed to deliver.
I can only imagine what some here would be saying had Samsung bought Beats. 1biggrin.gif
post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


2) It didn't work out. Wasn't a success.

 

Uh. Wasn't a success!? What the hell are you talking about? In less than a year it's become the second largest streaming service. Please don't say it because they couldn't catch up to Pandora... Pandora is available on other platforms, so there's no way iTunes Radio will ever reach the same numbers.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #32 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Uh. Wasn't a success!? What the hell are you talking about? In less than a year it's become the second largest streaming service. Please don't say it because they couldn't catch up to Pandora... Pandora is available on other platforms, so there's no way iTunes Radio will ever reach the same numbers.

Pandora isn't installed on every android device. People have to search for and download it. In the US Apple have an iOS installed base - including the touch and iPad - which is probably equal to or more than the Android installed base. With that running start iTunes Radio has not done well.

But don't take my word for it. Look at what Apple did - they bought in a streaming service and replaced the existing manager.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #33 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

"Rogers made his bones in the music industry as a website developer for the Beastie Boys, eventually being hired by Yahoo to lead the portal's music division."

See? Web development isn't necessarily a dead-end job after all!

 

I took it as going to work for a wacky niche white thrash rap trio isn't a bad career move.

 

At least in 1995.

post #34 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

 

Uh. Wasn't a success!? What the hell are you talking about? In less than a year it's become the second largest streaming service. Please don't say it because they couldn't catch up to Pandora... Pandora is available on other platforms, so there's no way iTunes Radio will ever reach the same numbers.


Second largest?  In what; one country?

post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok Apple now hire someone to oversee Apple TV so we can finally get a new product there. Let Eddy focus on back end stuff like iCloud, maps and Siri.

 

I'd say that the TV industry is 99.95% back-end work.  As in negotiating contracts like Apple's multi-terabit Comcast content delivery agreement, streamlining the purchasing and renting experience, building out iCloud data centers in North Carolina and Nevada and Oregon, and all that crucial behind-the scenes heavy lifting.  You know, the kind of stuff Eddy gets done.

 

The Apple TV hardware is comparatively trivial.   Not even the tip of the iceberg.  It's just a few snowflakes dusting the tip of the iceberg.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next-gen Apple TV hardware was finalized years ago.  Just waiting for all that other more difficult server software development, hardware infrastructure build-out, and distribution deals etc. to be completed.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #36 of 65
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
If this is the extent of your argument, you may as well stop posting.


Your argument contradicts all reality. So yes, you’ve failed.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #37 of 65
To those arguing against the success of iTunes Radio, it is adding 20 million active listeners every 4 months. By January 2015, it could have 80 million active subscribers in the USA and Australia, roughly the same as Pandora in these markets.
post #38 of 65
Beats Music is not a radio service. Beats Music and iTunes Radio are like apples and oranges; they serve different markets that rely on different listening experiences. More people (the average consumer) are interested in the free low-maintenance radio experience versus spending money and time building playlists or picking an album from a vast music library.
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

To those arguing against the success of iTunes Radio, it is adding 20 million active listeners every 4 months. By January 2015, it could have 80 million active subscribers in the USA and Australia, roughly the same as Pandora in these markets.

 

But iTunes' problem is that while it has the Apple Juggernaut behind it it really is not perceived as the cool place to get music.  It's just there, and as noted in your face when you buy a Mac.  A company like Pandora, Spotify, et al making the headway they did in the time they did would have been unheard of 5 years previously.  From what I see all around me I simply do not see iTunes currently as the big gorilla in the room anymore, and that's how Apple functions best, and they know it.  The numbers telling the tale of what was happening last months exactly what Apple has never used as evidence of anything as what they care about is aiming at a target 5 years from now that no one can even see is there.

 

Actually, this is why Rogers is spot on what they need.  He is actually credited as literally being the one of the first to enable mp3s to be downloaded from an artist's website in the mid '90s, as well as constantly updated new audio and visual media for Beastie Boys fans.  No one else had ever thought anyone would care or go to a site daily to see what music and images had shown up since 24 hours ago and download content every day.    He's Apple's type of forward thinker.

post #40 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Does music "curation" really cost $3B?

wow is that what Beats is!??

Apple should have bought that one headphone company that makes 1 billion a year. Heck they would have gotten Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre as part of the package!!

P.S. Good thing this new Beats guy is white.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Brains behind subscription Beats Music to also oversee Apple's iTunes Radio