or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft sues Samsung over unpaid Android patent royalties

Microsoft sues Samsung over unpaid Android patent royalties - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post
I stopped buying samsung stuff when they started copying apple blatantly.

I stopped buying Samsung stuff when they sold me a laser printer that had “OS X support” which has never, EVER worked with OS X, despite countless time searching for a solution online and six hours on the phone with support staff who were apparently unfamiliar with the concept OF a printer.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #42 of 72

I love watching the dogs scuffle over the crumbs the master dropped.

post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Oh boy!

Microsoft is NO Apple. Apple is soft ... Microsoft ....well.... 1smoking.gif
On another note, needed a shiny new SSD for my office PC (running Win7 1embarassed.gif )!

The sales guy tried his best to sell me one from Samsung. 1hmm.gif  And, looking at price and specs, I was soooooo very close .... 1oyvey.gif

Left the store with one from OCZ! Cost a little more ... but you know what? I didn't give my $$ to Sammy! That made me smile! 1tongue.gif  
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

I stopped buying samsung stuff when they started copying apple blatantly.

Great, so does that mean your going to stop using Apple hardware or does your integrity only serve you when it's convenient.I kid, I kid.
Edited by Relic - 8/1/14 at 10:57pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #44 of 72
Quote:

Oh boy!

On another note, needed a shiny new SSD for my office PC (running Win7 1embarassed.gif )!

The sales guy tried his best to sell me one from Samsung. 1hmm.gif  And, looking at price and specs, I was soooooo very close .... 1oyvey.gif

Left the store with one from OCZ! Cost a little more ... but you know what? I didn't give my $$ to Sammy! That made me smile! 1tongue.gif  
I was the other day at the store looking for a car mobile stand, the one that sticks on to the windshield. The salesman showed me 3 models one of which was a Samsung make and the rest some companies I never even heard off. Although Samsung was the only company I heard of I avoided it and picked another make. I have so pledged to boycott Samsung as much as I can coz they are crooks without an ounce of genuine ethics.
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Great, so does that mean your going to stop using Apple hardware or does your integrity only serve you when it's convenient.I kid, I kid.

You better kid kid kid  LMAO  ;)

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I stopped buying Samsung stuff when they sold me a laser printer that had “OS X support” which has never, EVER worked with OS X, despite countless time searching for a solution online and six hours on the phone with support staff who were apparently unfamiliar with the concept OF a printer.

What model?

I've had a Samsung laser printer for a few years and each version of OSX detects it and installs drivers fine.
post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Where's GatorGuy? How many times has he run his trap claiming there's no "proof" MS actually collects royalties from Samsung (or anyone else) over MS IP in Android. . . No, seriously, he has actually stated that numerous times.

Well that's a made up story from you now isn't it?
I don't recall even discussing whether any Android licensees pay a royalty to Microsoft. (Pretty obvious to me that there's been a whole lot of licenses taken so there must be royalties being paid)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Or that Android even infringes MS IP?

Now that part IS true. The licensing negotiations have all been kept highly secret. Not even the patents supposedly involved will be revealed by Microsoft unless the potential licensee agrees to an NDA. Perhaps you have the proof that Android licensees are infringing on MS IP? Bring it so we can all stop talking about it.
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/2/14 at 2:48pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #48 of 72

Because thanks to the fact the some countries have stupidly introduced software patents when copyright is the correct protection for algorithms Microsoft now controls the world and the Apple fan boys on here think thats great because they have sour grapes with Google over Android despite the fact Microsoft  and its embrace, extend, extinguish approach and desire to make everything 100% proprietory is a much bigger threat

And by the way I hate this new AI forums UI. you click reply to something and it doesnt automatically quote it

post #49 of 72
Thank you, AI, for this copacetic report.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #50 of 72
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post
What model? I've had a Samsung laser printer for a few years and each version of OSX detects it and installs drivers fine.

Oh, it has been a long while. I spun that sucker around for full price shortly after discovering incompatibility.

post #51 of 72
It's been relatively easy to boycott Microsoft in my personal life, but clearly not in my professional life. Samsung, on the other hand...they've got their hands in just about every market possible and their stuff is decent quality, though probably exactly because they copy the hell out of everyone else. Looking for a new tv? Dominated by Samsung. Looking for a new range/oven for your kitchen? Unless you pay above medium price ranges, also lots of Samsung. How about air conditioners? And so on... Has been a pain in the ass.

Despite Samsung's Wild West mentality of getting away with everything and anything, I think the majority of computer industry/tech industry patents need to be invalidated. Probably many patents in other industries need to be wiped out, too. Like everything else in American law, capitalism has utterly defeated the spirit of the patent and copyright laws by exploiting the letter of the laws, and CHANGING the laws to suit themselves where ever desired. Only solution at this point is to nuke the whole thing and start over. As long as money is politics, this will never be fixed. Reform is just a political catch phrase.
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

It's been relatively easy to boycott Microsoft in my personal life, but clearly not in my professional life. Samsung, on the other hand...they've got their hands in just about every market possible and their stuff is decent quality, though probably exactly because they copy the hell out of everyone else. Looking for a new tv? Dominated by Samsung. Looking for a new range/oven for your kitchen? Unless you pay above medium price ranges, also lots of Samsung. How about air conditioners? And so on... Has been a pain in the ass.

Despite Samsung's Wild West mentality of getting away with everything and anything, I think the majority of computer industry/tech industry patents need to be invalidated. Probably many patents in other industries need to be wiped out, too. Like everything else in American law, capitalism has utterly defeated the spirit of the patent and copyright laws by exploiting the letter of the laws, and CHANGING the laws to suit themselves where ever desired. Only solution at this point is to nuke the whole thing and start over. As long as money is politics, this will never be fixed. Reform is just a political catch phrase.

No.

Justice needs to be done, a concept which the American legal system and you are unfamiliar with.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

, I think the majority of computer industry/tech industry patents need to be invalidated. Probably many patents in other industries need to be wiped out, too. Like everything else in American law, capitalism has utterly defeated the spirit of the patent and copyright laws by exploiting the letter of the laws, and CHANGING the laws to suit themselves where ever desired. Only solution at this point is to nuke the whole thing and start over. As long as money is politics, this will never be fixed. Reform is just a political catch phrase.

FWIW this particular lawsuit has nothing to do with patent infringement. It's a contract dispute. Mueller has a more complete explanation of it if you're interested.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2014/08/today-microsoft-filed-contract-lawsuit.html
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Samsung is a shameful company. In what world would an acquisition mean that you no longer need to uphold your contracts?

That also seems to be the case with some other Korean companies.

-I ran into it trying to get support for my Samsung LCD, finally just after the 3 yr guarantee it went downhill quickly.

-A Korean car company refused to send out recall notices for an incorrect piston ring part.

I'm passing on both Samsung and that Korean car company.

post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

That also seems to be the case with some other Korean companies.
-I ran into it trying to get support for my Samsung LCD, finally just after the 3 yr guarantee it went downhill quickly.
-A Korean car company refused to send out recall notices for an incorrect piston ring part.
I'm passing on both Samsung and that Korean car company.

No GM either, I suppose.
post #56 of 72
disturbia

"Left the store with one from OCZ! Cost a little more ... but you know what? I didn't give my $$ to Sammy! That made me smile!"

Bad move bro....OCZ SSD are the worst drives in the industry.....guaranteed to fail...no wonder they went bust

Samsungs perform wayyyy better and are far more reliable

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/why-i-will-not-trust-ocz-storage-media-ever-again-1493077/
post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert2013 View Post

disturbia

"Left the store with one from OCZ! Cost a little more ... but you know what? I didn't give my $$ to Sammy! That made me smile!"

Bad move bro....OCZ SSD are the worst drives in the industry.....guaranteed to fail...no wonder they went bust

Samsungs perform wayyyy better and are far more reliable

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/why-i-will-not-trust-ocz-storage-media-ever-again-1493077/

Yeah but he feels better about himself and in the end isn't that more important then having a stable machine I wonder if he also stopped buying Apple products for containing either Samsung manufactured or branded parts. What's the difference of buying a Samsung drive separately or one that is already installed in the unit when purchased. I guess you can replace the drive later but those other parts like soldered sodimms are going to be a bitch to take out.
post #58 of 72
Quote:

Samsung is a shameful company. In what world would an acquisition mean that you no longer need to uphold your contracts?

That all depends on the contract...
...there could be non-compete clauses in there for particular market segments, etc.
Lawyer protecting their clients (and their income streams) often try to pack in escape clauses in more or less ambiguous language that may or may not be caught by opposing party.
Further, licensing agreement generally have clauses in there that void the contract in case of mergers, although usually restricted to the licensee; that's why a small start-up might be able to negotiate good licensing term, since they will no longer apply when they are bought up. Otherwise giants like Apple or Google would simply create or snatch up small companies with good licensing terms and then be covered under the same terms.
While given Samsung's history I'm sure they are willfully frivolous in their (mis)interpretation of the contract, I'm sure there is some verbiage in there they build their case on, and don't just claim out of the blue that the merger invalidates the licensing agreement.
post #59 of 72
Have an old Samsung laser printer, works just fine with OS X.
Only problem: for whatever reason its drivers are NOT included in the Samsung printer driver package that Apple has for download, I have to download a specific driver from Samsung's web site, best to use the international site rather than their U.S. site.

Has been rather reliable for many years, just like with almost all printers these days: toner/drum replacement is almost as expensive as a new printer, and a new printer comes with a new warranty.
It's one of these situations conjured up by marketing folks that put ecological and economical thinking at odds, when in a sane reality they should be congruent; a clear sign that the so called free market isn't as efficient as it's supposed to be.
post #60 of 72
Maybe now we'll find out just what Microsoft's "Android" patents cover.

That would be good.
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I am not understanding this... why is Samsung paying royalties to MS for using Android? Isn't Android made by Google? It makes no sense to me. 

Microsoft has some patents that it claims are infringed by Android. So far, all the Android folks have licensed the patents rather than fight MS in court.

We don't know what the patents cover, since the contracts have provisions that prevent the licensees from disclosing them (NDA of some sort).

post #62 of 72
Quote:

Sometimes contracts have provisions that terminate the contract in the case of an acquisition. 

For example, since this is Microsoft licensing stuff to Samsung, it would not be surprising to find a provision that would terminate the contract if Samsung was acquired by someone else. But it would be most uncommon for MS's contract to have a provision that caused termination if MS were acquired. Mainly because that would mean that the contract could not be regarded as a asset in such a sale (as it would be worthless in that circumstance). And entirely weird if MS's acquisition of Nokia would invalidate it.

My guess is that Samsung is, again, just trying to see what they can get away with. I expect them to try to re-open the issue of whether or not the technology is patent-eligible, given the recent rulings from the Supreme Court. MS will do well to keep it as purely a licensing issue.

post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No GM either, I suppose.

OMG no more GM! I was a GM vehicle user, but left GM several decades back for Chrysler. I still look at GM cars at the auto shows and occasionally get a GM rental; what crap !
Chrysler got screwed for their money by Daimler/Mercedes then a NY hedge fund,
being left with no money and no car designers.
We still have 11 and 13 yr old Chrysler cars, fortunately running very well. We are still driving them hoping Chrysler comes out with a car that suits our needs, but unfortunately nothing yet.
With their Fiat connection I don't expect they will produce a car that suits me.
If we had to buy a car now the VW Passat 1.8L TSI would be on our short list, after a successful 2wk 2,300 mile rental.
Made in NA/USA BTW ! Ford also has a few cars that may suite us; their European designed models.
post #64 of 72
Quote:

Oh boy!

Are you sure that OCZ isn't using anything Samsung in their SSD, though?
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Maybe now we'll find out just what Microsoft's "Android" patents cover.

That would be good.

It can be found already..:

http://www.zdnet.com/310-microsoft-patents-used-in-android-licensing-agreements-revealed-by-chinese-gov-7000030564/

Some info was available way back with MS-Motorola case.
post #66 of 72
It still cracks me up that Microsoft makes so much money from Android...
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffol View Post

It still cracks me up that Microsoft makes so much money from Android...

Why?

post #68 of 72

Most probably there are some points in the contract or in other agreements that makes Samsung believe it can stop paying fro the moment.  Although we can only guess for moment, these points could be:

- There is a non competitive clause in the contract.  As MS has bought Nokia, MS has become a competitor of Samsung

- A Windows Phone license price + sales figures were part of the deal, but MS has recently dropped the price of WP to 0$ for small devices.

- In China the list of patents were disclosed that MS was using to attack Android.  Samsung is convinced that some of these patents might be considered invalid (prior art, ...) .

It is for sure that Samsung has elements to get a better deal from MS. Not paying anymore is just a strategic positioning in the new negotiations

post #69 of 72
Quote:

Oh boy!

Microsoft is NO Apple. Apple is soft ... Microsoft ....well.... :smokey:

On another note, needed a shiny new SSD for my office PC (running Win7 :embarrass)!

The sales guy tried his best to sell me one from Samsung. :\ And, looking at price and specs, I was soooooo very close .... :no:

Left the store with one from OCZ! Cost a little more ... but you know what? I didn't give my $$ to Sammy! That made me smile! :p 

First, OCZ makes good products no doubt about that, however, I had to say this I believe base on what I know about OCZ they use Samsung NAND memory.

Edited by Maestro64 - 8/5/14 at 9:30am
post #70 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

First, OCZ makes good products no doubt about that, however, I had to say this by I believe base on what I know about OCZ they use Samsung NAND memory.

Yes, ironically they do, even their PCIe version uses Samsung NAND. That was my point when I asked Disturbia if he plans on discontinuing the use of Apple products because they also use Samsung memory. I really like the Samsung 840 series, they are very good SSD drives, not only are they very reasonably priced but are also among the fastest. I have the 256GB version in my ThinkPad X230T, no problems. Just because Samsung's mobile division sucks doesn't mean the rest of their products do. We also have a smart refrigerator that we got for our winter home, very cool system, I can adjust the temperature over the internet which is great because I can turn it down to its lowest setting when were not their and then turn it up a day before we arrive.
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yes, ironically they do, even their PCIe version uses Samsung NAND. That was my point when I asked Disturbia if he plans on discontinuing the use of Apple products because they also use Samsung memory. I really like the Samsung 840 series, they are very good SSD drives, not only are they very reasonably priced but are also among the fastest. I have the 256GB version in my ThinkPad X230T, no problems. Just because Samsung's mobile division sucks doesn't mean the rest of their products do. We also have a smart refrigerator that we got for our winter home, very cool system, I can adjust the temperature over the internet which is great because I can turn it down to its lowest setting when were not their and then turn it up a day before we arrive.

Just an FYI for you, there are trade off with NAND, yes Samsung maybe faster but most likely it will be at the cost of endurance of the NAND over time. Samsung plays the performance game, they do the bigger, baddest and fastest thing really well but what will be the long term reliability and performance be like. I can guarantee you will begin to see the performance of the SSD go down as you load it up and use it over time.

post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Just an FYI for you, there are trade off with NA ND, yes Sam sung maybe faster but most likely it will be at the cost of endurance of the NA ND over time. Sam sung plays the performance game, they do the bigger, baddest and fastest thing really well but what will be the long term reliability and performance be like. I can guarantee you will begin to see the performance of the SAD go down as you load it up and use it over time.

I fully understand that but Samsung also backs up their 256GB drive with a 5 year guarantee and I also purchased a 3 year insurance from the computer store I bought it from, it was only 30CHEF extra, I thought it worth the expenditure. Since I back up my entire drive with OneDrive and a local Sun Storage NASA I'm fully protected against data lost. The only manufacture that has consistently come up on top in reliability tests is Intel. Though since I've had a Samsung drive in my Mac Book Air for a while now without fail I thought I could continue that luck with using one in my Think Pad, so far so good but I'm also vary reliant on cloud and network data, meaning I rarely tax my drives. Even my little Nokia 2520 has nothing actually on the local drive, I store all data to a mini SD card which is mirrored on One Drive, local drive is specifically used for apps only, truth be told it only has 32GB of storage so this method was kind of a necessary, but I liked the setup so much I did the same thing with my MacBook Air. I have a very fast 256GB SD card strictly used for data which is in turn mirrored on Google Drive, I'll change it over to iCloud once Apple lowers their cloud storage prices. I'm paying 100CHF for 50GB with iCloud and that's kind of on the the high side for me, especially when for 120CHF I get 1TB with Google Drive, along with the 1TB for two years that came with my Pixel.

So as long as the Samsung drive lasts at least two years I'm fine with it as that it is the maximum time I usually own a laptop for. I replace my MacBook Air yearly.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft sues Samsung over unpaid Android patent royalties