or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad

post #1 of 167
Thread Starter 
Apple subsidiary Beats on Friday uploaded a short 30-second spot to its Twitter account featuring two of its animated "Pill" creatures and the Siri virtual assistant, marking the first collaborative ad effort since Apple bought the audio company in May.




It is unknown if the clip will be aired on television, or if it is meant to stay Web-exclusive, but the ad is the first overtly collaborative video spot to see release since Apple first announced its $3 billion Beats acquisition.

In the spot, two characters based on Beats by Dre's Pill speakers, named Mikey and Tina, talk up the recently closed deal, saying, "It's official, Apple and Beats have joined forces." Mikey suggests they celebrate the news.

A disembodied Siri, creepily listening in on the conversation from the ether, says she heard Dr. Dre might be throwing a party to commemorate the partnership, perhaps a tongue-in-cheek reference to the rap star's premature announcement celebration that was caught on tape in May.

August 2, 2014


The trio goes on to discuss how the party is an invitation-only affair and the Pills are aren't on the guest list. After some dry banter, Mikey asks Siri to let him in on the party's secret location, but the virtual assistant is disinclined to reveal that information.

"Sorry, I didn't get that," Siri says.

The oddly scripted spot is Beats' first video ad to be released in partnership with Apple.
post #2 of 167
From the way the tweet is written, to the Siri's voice seeming so primitive sounding compared to the comical voices of the "pills", to the "Sorry, I didn't get that" from Siri which is a horrible thing to hear from Siri I absolutely hated everything about this ad.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #3 of 167
"Computer says, no."
post #4 of 167
What?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 167

I think I just threw-up in my mouth a little bit.

post #6 of 167
yuck. everything about watching that was just yuck.
post #7 of 167
That's why Apple bought the company? For this? They're off to a ghastly start. This might go down as one the worst acquisitions in corporate history. How the hell did such an ad get approved? Did Philly Boy give the OK? It makes everything recent from TBWA Chiat look like Schindler's List.
post #8 of 167
I think it's a very cool way to let everyone know that Apple & Beats have joined forces.

I predict Beats is going to to be the coolest music company on the planet and bring the world to iOS.

Does anyone sense Watson class, Big Data Analytics in SIRI in the ad ? 1smile.gif
SIRI just joined the conversation without being asked a question. LOL.


Edited by AppleSauce007 - 8/1/14 at 8:50pm
post #9 of 167

Don't be hatin'...
On second thought go ahead.

post #10 of 167

Oddly scripted.  That's an understatement.

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #11 of 167
I'm sure this commercial was supposed to be funny. And don't get me wrong, I love the animation and the characters.... but as an Apple customer, I hate hearing the "Sorry, I didn't get that" from Siri - especially when it's about asking Siri directions (like what the character experienced in the commercial). Apple Maps continues to not work correctly (I despise that it will offer three routes, all 3 being toll roads). It's sad that although Siri is out of Beta...it's still not really a true virtual assistant. It's frustrating, too, that Apple offers a public beta of OS X Yosemite but not a public beta of iOS 8. Since Siri was released as a public beta, why not do the same with iOS 8? As a student with a disability, it would be great to offer Apple valuable feedback to enable a very polished final version of iOS 8. So with my awful experience with Siri, Apple Maps, and being a wall-hugger (b/c of poor battery life on my iPhone and MacBook Pro)...I have to say that I really don't find Siri's selective hearing to be fun. And reporting this feedback to Apple is very much like Siri: they don't seem to "get" the customer feedback and resolve issues faster. This commercial doesn't make me feel good about Apple or Beats....or rather, "Sorry I didn't get that" commercial. Thank you for letting me vent.
post #12 of 167

It could have been worse...

(Choreographed "snap" dancers come to mind.)

post #13 of 167
Oh boy, the video doesn't play on iOS?!!
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #14 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Reeder View Post

It's frustrating, too, that Apple offers a public beta of OS X Yosemite but not a public beta of iOS 8. Since Siri was released as a public beta, why not do the same with iOS 8? 
...

Since Siri was released as a public beta, why not do the same with iOS 8?

The basic issue is that there is no mechanism to revert to an older version of iOS.

 

For OS X, you can install the beta onto a different partition, external hard drive or backup machine.

 

Cellphones are different, people don't tend to keep around backup smartphones (with corresponding cellular service) and there is no option to put the operating system on an external device. For most, a iPhone is their one and only smartphone. If a beta version of iOS has serious problems and your iPhone is your primary mobile communication device, well, you could easily be screwed.

 

Siri is not a required component of iOS. One has the option of disabling Siri.

 

My guess is if you are really motivated, you will find a way to acquire and install a developer copy of iOS. 


Edited by mpantone - 8/1/14 at 9:06pm
post #15 of 167

Well, I’m furious.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #16 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Reeder View Post

I'm sure this commercial was supposed to be funny. And don't get me wrong, I love the animation and the characters.... but as an Apple customer, I hate hearing the "Sorry, I didn't get that" from Siri - especially when it's about asking Siri directions (like what the character experienced in the commercial). Apple Maps continues to not work correctly (I despise that it will offer three routes, all 3 being toll roads). It's sad that although Siri is out of Beta...it's still not really a true virtual assistant. It's frustrating, too, that Apple offers a public beta of OS X Yosemite but not a public beta of iOS 8. Since Siri was released as a public beta, why not do the same with iOS 8? As a student with a disability, it would be great to offer Apple valuable feedback to enable a very polished final version of iOS 8. So with my awful experience with Siri, Apple Maps, and being a wall-hugger (b/c of poor battery life on my iPhone and MacBook Pro)...I have to say that I really don't find Siri's selective hearing to be fun. And reporting this feedback to Apple is very much like Siri: they don't seem to "get" the customer feedback and resolve issues faster. This commercial doesn't make me feel good about Apple or Beats....or rather, "Sorry I didn't get that" commercial. Thank you for letting me vent.

 

It's like the commercial is an extension of Microsoft's new Cortana ads poking fun at Siri's shortcomings.

post #17 of 167

That funny - because no one at the Apple store in Soho has yet to recommend the Pill because it's hyped up junk.

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #18 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, I’m furious.

Our worst fears realized ALREADY?! By the power of Greyskull...
Edited by SpamSandwich - 8/1/14 at 9:54pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #19 of 167

You guys are being too critical, it's just a funny little add. Here's another one that will hopefully brighten your day a little.

 

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6648229/siri-argument

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #20 of 167
I'm fine with the Beats acquisition, but I have to admit this ad was horrendous. I hope it was made in 10 seconds. Anyway I doubt this will air anywhere.. Right?
post #21 of 167
I think we've been punked by Rogifan.

I didn't get to see the video, by the way. It's gone, and MacRumors didn't fall for this ruse.
post #22 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

From the way the tweet is written, to the Siri's voice seeming so primitive sounding compared to the comical voices of the "pills", to the "Sorry, I didn't get that" from Siri which is a horrible thing to hear from Siri I absolutely hated everything about this ad.
Worst thing about it is, it's showing off that horrible Pills accessory. And it makes Siri look dumb even though that obviously wasn't the intent. I hope this ad never makes it on TV.
post #23 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

That funny - because no one at the Apple store in Soho has yet to recommend the Pill because it's hyped up junk.
Yep, at my Apple store I wasn't recommended a Beats product either. The salesperson recommend the. Bose soundlink mini which is an excellent product. I hope Apple store employees aren't encouraged to recommend Beats stuff now.
post #24 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Yep, at my Apple store I wasn't recommended a Beats product either. The salesperson recommend the. Bose soundlink mini which is an excellent product. I hope Apple store employees aren't encouraged to recommend Beats stuff now.


I'm sure they will be.  I suspect that in Apple tradition any competing product will be removed from the store.

 

Although the reality is that nothing actually competes with Beats for the stupidly expensive garbage product niche.

post #25 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I think we've been punked by Rogifan.

I didn't get to see the video, by the way. It's gone, and MacRumors didn't fall for this ruse.

I saw it an hour after you said it was gone.... it's still on the net. Search a little to find it.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #26 of 167
Hummm…************ has a link to the ad I can actually play on my iPhone. Why doesn't AI have that?
post #27 of 167
Here's the ad:



I think Siri is trying to make sure they don't go to the party so she says it's invitation-only. The guy had already asked for directions so when the guy pill says 'just tell me', I gather he means to just tell him the directions, to which Siri pretends to ignore him saying 'sorry, I didn't get that'.

Not funny and not a good quality ad. I think the Beats partnership will be good but this is not the way to leave a good first impression after spending billions buying a company. I hope this is Beats' marketing department and not Apple's and if so, Apple's ad team should handle their promotional material from now on.

The CollegeHumor video above was funny though:



as is Samuel L Jackson's real Siri ad:



Maybe the pills could have used the audio from Dre's drunken party:

Tyrese: Hold on, the homie is drunk off the Heineken, hahahah, stopsmothsjy muthaf*a. Another level, billionaire clubs for real homie. Fix you face. Oh sh*t, the Forbes list just changed. It came out like 2 weeks ago and they need to update the Forbes list, sh*t just changed.
Dre: In a big way, understand that. The first billionaire in hip-hop, right here from the West Coast.
Tyrese: Oh sh*t n***er *dancing around*. What the f* you n***ers all talking about?
Siri: Tyrese, your language! No need for profanity.
Siri: Anyway, I have calculated that the percentage ownership only gives Dre $800m so the Forbes list stays the same.
Dre: Tyrese, where'd you go to school?
Tyrese: Uh, Dre I didn't graduate high school.
Siri: Searching for directions to higher education math courses for (im)mature students nearby. Kids, stay in school.
post #28 of 167
Can't be a real Apple commercial, just checked out some other beats pills commercials, and they don't match. The polygon count on these characters are too low, the animations don't tween, the shadows don't change dynamically with the light (the ones that wrap around their bodies), the official characters don't show their eyelids consistently, they are using an old version of Siri's voice, the gray line between the Apple logo and beats logo doesn't look right, the ground texture is unprofessional, just too many things. This is not the same team that does the beats commercials. It's possible that beats whipped this up for the web, or that they saw this video online and thought it would be fun to share it. Either way, I'm sure Apple didn't know about it. Which is why it's been removed from the beats Twitter account.

Also, having watched previous beats commercials now, they seem to be aimed at the African-American crowd. That could be another explanation of why Apple spent $3 billion on beats. Because, they had been getting some negative press for being white only on their board. This quickly erased that persona - Apple has enough money to change their cultural image. So, they get a bunch of music industry guys, legitimate employees in the music streaming service on the tech side, a headphone company that already makes money for itself, and I see why they made the deal. They're primarily working to target a larger group ethnically, to gain a backup streaming service if it happens to take off, and get help with their own streaming service. The headphones are just there to erase the 3 billion they spent. Hopefully they drop the price and increase the quality - they could buy a high end headphone company and use they're tech in beats headphones.
post #29 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Can't be a real Apple commercial, just checked out some other beats pills commercials, and they don't match. The polygon count on these characters are too low, the animations don't tween, the shadows don't change dynamically with the light (the ones that wrap around their bodies), the official characters don't show their eyelids consistently, they are using an old version of Siri's voice, the gray line between the Apple logo and beats logo doesn't look right, the ground texture is unprofessional, just too many things. This is not the same team that does the beats commercials. It's possible that beats whipped this up for the web, or that they saw this video online and thought it would be fun to share it. Either way, I'm sure Apple didn't know about it. Which is why it's been removed from the beats Twitter account.

 

You should write for AI.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #30 of 167
WTF!?
post #31 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


Our worst fears realized ALREADY?! By the power of Greyskull...


Speak for yourself dude. 8-)

post #32 of 167
I think this is just Beats PR doing one more social media post. The pill people aren't invited to Dre's party, AKA we're not going to see them again in any Apple-beats ads.
post #33 of 167

The use of overly stereotypical black American voices made it uncomfortable to watch but I suppose that's the demographic that this company panders to so maybe it's something that's something they relate to.

post #34 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

That's why Apple bought the company? For this? They're off to a ghastly start. This might go down as one the worst acquisitions in corporate history. How the hell did such an ad get approved? Did Philly Boy give the OK? It makes everything recent from TBWA Chiat look like Schindler's List.

 

I think Phil and Jimmy made this piece of shit... together.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #35 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
 

The use of overly stereotypical black American voices made it uncomfortable to watch but I suppose that's the demographic that this company panders to so maybe it's something that's something they relate to.

 

And Siri interjects to point out that there's a celebration party only to later tell them that they're not invited to Dr. Dre and Apple's party...

 

Very odd advertisement and not very well thought out in my opinion, but then again I'm not in marketing.  However, it is better than the drunken celebration video of Tyrese, Dr. Dre and others.

post #36 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I think Phil and Jimmy made this piece of shit... together.
I hope to god stuff like this isn't what Apple has planned with their new in-house ad agency. 1oyvey.gif
post #37 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
 


I'm sure they will be.  I suspect that in Apple tradition any competing product will be removed from the store.

 

Although the reality is that nothing actually competes with Beats for the stupidly expensive garbage product niche.

 

How can you write this crap here when the Beats Solo 2 is getting rave reviews all over the world?

It is an excellent headphone at great price point.  Your hatred cannot possibly be about the headphone.

 

post #38 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post
 

 

It's like the commercial is an extension of Microsoft's new Cortana ads poking fun at Siri's shortcomings.


If you think about it, this ad actually neutralizes  the MS ad.  

In this case, it is a proper and ethical response to the question.


Edited by AppleSauce007 - 8/2/14 at 9:40am
post #39 of 167
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
How can you write this crap here when the Beats Solo 2 is getting rave reviews all over the world?

It is an excellent headphone at great price point.  Your hatred cannot possibly be about the headphone.


Why? Mine is.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #40 of 167
Maybe it was made and posted by some Beats employees who were not offered good jobs at Apple. They know there is a party and they are not invited.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad