or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad - Page 4

post #121 of 167
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple is going to retain the Beats brand at least for the next 5 years.

 

Again, when you have proof feel free to post it.

 
Seems like most of the time you don't care about getting it right, but being right.

 

Uh… 

 
Once you choose a side on an issue you stick with it no matter how much evidence there is against it.

 

That’s funny. It’s almost as though you think you can say such a thing.

 
Do you seriously think Apple would throw away the Beats brand name that has tremendous value?

 

Does it?

 
They dominate the high end consumer market with 80% share.

 

No, they’re not high end products.

 
My question is if you only believe things when Apple releases a press release or a event why even clown around in a rumor site? 

 

Maybe because your fabrication isn’t true?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #122 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Again, when you have proof feel free to post it.

 

 

 

Welcome to the family Beats.

It did not say Beats is now AppleBeats

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

No, they’re not high end products.

 

 

Headphones with a $200-$600 price tag is high end.  Sorry.

post #123 of 167
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

It did not say Beats is now AppleBeats

 

 
Headphones with a $200-$600 price tag is high end.  Sorry.

 

 

Quantity ≠ quality; sorry.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #124 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

 

 

 

Quantity ≠ quality; sorry.

 

nope.  Price point determines if its high end or not. 

post #125 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
 

Here, a picture of B&W and Beats together.  These are actually the P3s, but they're around the same size as the P5s, just a bit less premium in the materials.  I'd say the B&Ws are a little smaller than the Beats (Solo1, I think?).

 

 

I'm not saying that isn't a bit of sound reasoning and a good choice for the dollar. I'm simply noting that Apple made the choice they did for a reason. Beats is a marketing machine in addition to being fashionable and expensive headphones.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #126 of 167
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

nope.  Price point determines if its high end or not. 

 

Sure thing¡

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #127 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Sure thing¡

 

So what determines it if not price?

You?

 

So you deterimine if something is high end or not?

 

How about the Wall Street Journal?

 

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2013/01/11/pop-quiz-what-is-beats-by-dres-market-share/

 

"had 40 per cent of all US headphone sales and close to 70 per cent of premium priced headphone sales over the Christmas period"

post #128 of 167
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So what determines it if not price?


Quality. A one word answer doesn’t need a person to figure out. You already knew this.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #129 of 167

"High end" doesn't really mean anything on its own, it has to stand for the high end of something.  I think generally when people say "high end" they mean "high end of the price range", though there's probably also an implicit "high end end of the quality spectrum" in there too.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #130 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
 

"High end" doesn't really mean anything on its own, it has to stand for the high end of something.  I think generally when people say "high end" they mean "high end of the price range", though there's probably also an implicit "high end end of the quality spectrum" in there too.

 

The Beats are defiantly in the mid range, I would consider something like a pair of Grado's to be high end.

 

These retail for 1500 dollars, how can you put a pair of Beats Solo 2's in the same category, you can't;

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #131 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

These retail for 1500 dollars

Needs a 3.5mm mini adapter. Bummer¡

But bloody hell, those look cool. As fine as they look, they don't even need to sound good. /s
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #132 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

 

The Beats are defiantly in the mid range, I would consider something like a pair of Grado's to be high end.

 

These retail for 1500 dollars, how can you put a pair of Beats Solo 2's in the same category, you can't;

Fair point.  And like you, I wouldn't describe the Beats as high end.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #133 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 


Quality. A one word answer doesn’t need a person to figure out. You already knew this.

 

And who determines what Quality is?  You?

post #134 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

 

The Beats are defiantly in the mid range, I would consider something like a pair of Grado's to be high end.

 

These retail for 1500 dollars, how can you put a pair of Beats Solo 2's in the same category, you can't;

 

There is always something more expensive.  I could argue those $1500 headphones are not high end because there are $5000 headphones but I won't.  For the average consumer $200-$700 Beats is high end.

 

Since the average headphones cost $20 I do consider $200-$700 high end. 

 

Most people consider a BMW 535 a luxury car.  But a Bentley will cost 4x more.  Does that mean the BMW isn't a luxury car.  No.  The BMW is certainly a luxury car to 99.9% of the population. 

post #135 of 167
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

And who determines what Quality is?  You?

 

Give up. Now.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #136 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

And who determines what Quality is?  You?

 

Give up. Now.

 

I understand he isn't the greatest with his posting but the reality is that Apple didn't just assimilate the Beats brand.

 

You go to their website and the page is welcoming the company while featuring the Beats logo. Apple knows that they bought a brand and they aren't killing it. Rather they are featuring it. Some of us might even note that no one has true proof because this is a rumor website and thus we are all speculating.

 

As part of my speculation I will note that the iTunes icon used to be blue and now magically has become red, the same color as the beats logo.

 

 

Someone here is making a change and it is Apple, not Beats.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #137 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

As part of my speculation I will note that the iTunes icon used to be blue and now magically has become red, the same color as the beats logo.

[images]

Someone here is making a change and it is Apple, not Beats.

Nice observation. I hadn't drawn that comparison to the Beats logo before. Seems unlikely to be coincidental.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #138 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

As part of my speculation I will note that the iTunes icon used to be blue and now magically has become red, the same color as the beats logo.

[images]

Someone here is making a change and it is Apple, not Beats.

Nice observation. I hadn't drawn that comparison to the Beats logo before. Seems unlikely to be coincidental.

Huh? You think they changed the colour of the logo from green to blue when they bought Blue Fish? Kiddin' here, and while I understand the comparison I don't think we should be reading too much into it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=4887


I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #139 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh? You think they changed the colour of the logo from green to blue when they bought Blue Fish? Kiddin' here, and while I understand the comparison I don't think we should be reading too much into it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=4887

[image]

Considering how long they had the blue logo and how many of their primary apps are blue I did find the red iTunes icon at WWDC to be a dramatic change. That said, for how long has the Music app on iOS been red?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #140 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Considering how long they had the blue logo and how many of their primary apps are blue I did find the red iTunes icon at WWDC to be a dramatic change. That said, for how long has the Music app on iOS been red?

Hehe. I agree. And funny you also wondered about the iOS icon. I was wondering as well, but with all the jailbreak hits Bing gives me I simply gave up. Perhaps Google is better at this. Likely even, I'm terrible at finding what I'm looking for. On the internet that is.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #141 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hehe. I agree. And funny you also wondered about the iOS icon. I was wondering as well, but with all the jailbreak hits Bing gives me I simply gave up. Perhaps Google is better at this. Likely even, I'm terrible at finding what I'm looking for. On the internet that is.


The apps changed its name from iPod to Music for iOS 5, but was still orange in colour. For iOS 7, with the new look, the music app was changed to red. That means that we should have probably exude the change since it happened in iOS over a year ago in the iOS 7 betas.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #142 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

[^ post

1. Damn! I should've wiki'd it. Next time I'll do that...or simply await your search findings as they are always better than mine.

2. How come I can almost shed a tear when reminiscing that January 9th, 2007 day? It's either Steve's passing or the iPhone. I remember the day we had a garage sale at the office, selling all our old Macs to the employees. There was one developer who bid, and own, his old desktop. When showing it was still in working order he almost had to shed a tear as well after seeing his old desktop. Such a thing is so understandable; seeing your desktop years later that you've been accustomed to for many years before.

3. Thanks for that Verge article, great find!
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #143 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

C5 are good? They look great; I will be trying these out tomorrow!

Lemme know what you think. I'd be interested in knowing your opinion.

My preferred audio store didn't have them. Since it's a small shop they're being reluctant to order them without knowing if I'm going to buy them. I told them I understand their point, recession and all, and would look around some more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

That is because Apple hasn't really designed proper headphones.

However, they do have the resources, engineers and design team in place to do so. Somehow it is not their priority.

Huh? They've spend 3 years designing the Ear Pods:

Video link fixed by TS in below post; tnx

Edited by PhilBoogie - 8/8/14 at 8:49am
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #144 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

C5 are good? They look great; I will be trying these out tomorrow!

Lemme know what you think. I'd be interested in knowing your opinion.

My preferred audio store didn't have them. Since it's a small shop they're being reluctant to order them without knowing if I'm going to buy them. I told them I understand their point, recession and all, and would look around some more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

That is because Apple hasn't really designed proper headphones.

However, they do have the resources, engineers and design team in place to do so. Somehow it is not their priority.

Huh? They've spend 3 years designing the Ear Pods:

Fruck, why doesn't that 'at current time' thingy work? Perhaps this will?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Qtp6Iv7a0#t=5530

 

Regardless of how long they spent designing them, they sound terrible. The $10 JVC Gumy with mic headphones I use for my car sound better. Apple has strengths and weaknesses. We can just be grateful they are trying to strengthen a weakness and did it with the stylish company that produced good enough sound quality while hitting the price points and profit margin percentages that Apple requires.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #145 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Regardless of how long they spent designing them, they sound terrible. The $10 JVC Gumy with mic headphones I use for my car sound better. Apple has strengths and weaknesses. We can just be grateful they are trying to strengthen a weakness and did it with the stylish company that produced good enough sound quality while hitting the price points and profit margin percentages that Apple requires.

I don't even know how they sound as they fall out of my ear! Never actually plugged it into my iPhone.

But yes, let them explore all facets of their products. Keep on innovating, and don't try new endeavours where they don't have any knowledge of, like Google does.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #146 of 167
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Fruck, why doesn't that 'at current time' thingy work? Perhaps this will?

 

Your link doesn’t have it. You (Tube) must have messed something up. 

 

Here we go.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #147 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your link doesn’t have it. You (Tube) must have messed something up. 

Here we go.
[embeded video]

Note you're using HTML:
Code:
<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/h7Qtp6Iv7a0?start=5526" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

…and I assume @PhilBoogie was using the forum's video tag markup, which is what I've always tried to use with the below format for time which doesn't use clumped seconds but hours, minutes and seconds.

Is there an easy way to make that code or do I need to save the basic HTML as a TextExpander shortcut?


edit: Both time formats can be used in either URL types.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #148 of 167
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
…and I assume @PhilBoogie was using the forum's video tag markup, which is what I've always tried to use with the below format for time which doesn't use clumped seconds but hours, minutes and seconds.

 

That’s exactly what I did. It must rewrite the link itself. I copied and pasted the above in the field that pops up when you hit the video button and it worked for me.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #149 of 167
Ah, I see. Actually not. I simply hit pause, right-click on the video window and select the 2nd option: "Get video URL at current time" It gives me a little box with the URL in it; I Cmd-C and paste the link in the [ VIDEO ] tag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Qtp6Iv7a0#t=5530

I'm using the BB code editor. But it might be due to the overwhelming amount of ad blockers and Out-Google-Out stuff I have installed. Also, no Flash on my machine.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #150 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s exactly what I did. It must rewrite the link itself. I copied and pasted the above in the field that pops up when you hit the video button and it worked for me.

These are my results…



Embedded, seconds only :: www.youtube.com/embed/h7Qtp6Iv7a0?start=5526



Embedded, readable time :: www.youtube.com/embed/h7Qtp6Iv7a0?start=1h31m39s



Not embedded, seconds only :: www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Qtp6Iv7a0&t=5525



Not embedded, readable time :: www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Qtp6Iv7a0&t=1h31m39s


In conclusion, you can use either time format so long as you use the youtube.com/embed/ format, not the youtube.com/watch format with the forum's markup tag for video.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #151 of 167

1st works, 2nd starts at 0:00, 3 and 4 don’t work at all.

 

But MINE works, despite being your 2nd.

 

Must be Yosemite. Not sure why. Not sure how. Screw YouTube, Screw their use of Flash, and screw Google.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #152 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1st works, 2nd starts at 0:00, 3 and 4 don’t work at all.

But MINE works, despite being your 2nd.

Must be Yosemite. Not sure why. Not sure how. Screw YouTube, Screw their use of Flash, and screw Google.

The 2nd video doesn't show the video's red progress bar being moved to the correct location but like in the 1st one but when I hit play it starts near where it should, at 1h:31m:20s, which is odd.

At least we now you need the embed format and should use the seconds only time format for best results.

This has been informative.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #153 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1st works, 2nd starts at 0:00, 3 and 4 don’t work at all.

Same here at my end, 10.9, Safari Version 7.0.5 (9537.77.4) as well.
Quote:
But MINE works, despite being your 2nd.

Same here
Quote:
Screw YouTube, Screw their use of Flash, and screw Google.

👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The 2nd video doesn't show the video's red progress bar being moved to the correct location but like in the 1st one but when I hit play it starts near where it should, at 1h:31m:20s, which is odd.

Very odd; mine starts at the beginning. And 1*60*60 + 31*60 + 20 = 5480, not 5530, which was my 'copy at current time'.
Quote:
At least we now you need the embed format and should use the seconds only time format for best results.

This has been informative.

Very!
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #154 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't even know how they sound as they fall out of my ear! Never actually plugged it into my iPhone.

But yes, let them explore all facets of their products. Keep on innovating, and don't try new endeavours where they don't have any knowledge of, like Google does.

I never really like the Apple earphones either, kind of cheap sounding. However there is a way to improve not only the sound but keep them in your ear.

Griffin make these, worth buying for those who don't want to invest in a decent pair of ear buds or earphones.

31HDeI5UAaL._SY300_.jpg

There is also a company called EarSound that do custom earbud attachments, I had a pair made for my Shure monitors, great investment.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #155 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

There is also a company called EarSound that do custom earbud attachments, I had a pair made for my Shure monitors, great investment.

 

I've been thinking about getting earmolds and Shure in-ear monitors, but I want to retain the Apple inline remote-with-mic. I haven't checked if that's possible or how much it would cost because I don't even know where to begin looking. I tried searching for the company you mention but came up empty. Do you have a link?

 

Thanks!

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #156 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

 

I've been thinking about getting earmolds and Shure in-ear monitors, but I want to retain the Apple inline remote-with-mic. I haven't checked if that's possible or how much it would cost because I don't even know where to begin looking. I tried searching for the company you mention but came up empty. Do you have a link?

Thanks!
Oh gosh, I forgot the link, I always provide a link, ddduuuhhh, Agent 99; "sorry about that chief". I specifically use my Shure E535's for music creation so I don't want to carry them around to often in fear that I might loose or break them, especially when they cost 600 bucks with the custom ear fitting . I use a less expensive but still very impressive sounding Bowers & Wilkins C5's for walking around, which has a remote and microphone that not only works very well with the iPhone but is just as good as Apples offering, here is a great review of them.
Edited by Relic - 8/9/14 at 4:12am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #157 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

Oh gosh, I forgot the link,

 

I guess I should have been able to figure out that one on my own... duh. Surprised that stupid Google didn't seem to know anything about that site. Weird.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

I specifically use my Shure E535's for music creation so I don't want to carry them around to often in fear that I might loose or break them, especially when they cost 600 bucks with the custom ear fitting 

 

I want something "monitor quality" that I can really trust to be as close to accurate as an in-ear speaker is gonna get for when I'm doing serious work that can double as my everyday iPhone cans. I'm having trouble deciding what to do, though. I have a hard time believing that a set of earbuds -- ANY earbuds -- are worth $500-1000. There's obviously a point of diminishing returns, where improvements in quality are equivalent to the increase in price up to a point, after which one starts paying way more for tiny improvements. The "audio professional" in me says I owe it to my craft to use the best tools available, but the pragmatist in me wonders if the expensive Shures et al will really sound THAT much better than a $200 pair of Etymotics? Especially when the Shure starts getting into nonsense like three-way drivers. In an EARBUD? C'mon...

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

I use a less expensive but still very impressive sounding Bowers & Wilkins C5's for walking around, which has a remote and microphone that not only works very well the iPhone but is just as good as Apples offering, here is a great review of them.

 

I know the C5 and really like them, but I haven't found a place that makes custom ear molds for them (though I suppose any of the places that do the Shure and Ety could probably do the B&W).

 

Speaking of that, I'm not crazy about the custom-fits Sensaphonics makes for Shure. They're kinda like a silicone "pocket" into which you insert half the earbud housing. Seems inelegant. I like the kind that "plug" onto the end of the housing. Unfortunately the Earsound site doesn't show a very good picture of how theirs attach so it's hard to compare.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #158 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I guess I should have been able to figure out that one on my own... duh. Surprised that stupid Google didn't seem to know anything about that site. Weird.


I want something "monitor quality" that I can really trust to be as close to accurate as an in-ear speaker is gonna get for when I'm doing serious work that can double as my everyday iPhone cans. I'm having trouble deciding what to do, though. I have a hard time believing that a set of earbuds -- ANY earbuds -- are worth $500-1000. There's obviously a point of diminishing returns, where improvements in quality are equivalent to the increase in price up to a point, after which one starts paying way more for tiny improvements. The "audio professional" in me says I owe it to my craft to use the best tools available, but the pragmatist in me wonders if the expensive Shures et al will really sound THAT much better than a $200 pair of Etymotics? Especially when the Shure starts getting into nonsense like three-way drivers. In an EARBUD? C'mon...
 



I know the C5 and really like them, but I haven't found a place that makes custom ear molds for them (though I suppose any of the places that do the Shure and Ety could probably do the B&W).

Speaking of that, I'm not crazy about the custom-fits Sensaphonics makes for Shure. They're kinda like a silicone "pocket" into which you insert half the earbud housing. Seems inelegant. I like the kind that "plug" onto the end of the housing. Unfortunately the Earsound site doesn't show a very good picture of how theirs attach so it's hard to compare.

I'm sure any service that makes these custom ear fittings would be more then happy to accommodate the C5's. You will probably have to send them in along with the mold of your ears (which I recommend your doctor do) so they can use the right drummel bit to make them fit on top of the C5's. They have a larger then average output canal.

sm.View_6.600.JPG

If your feeling handy you could always make your own.

I play the Violin semiprofessional so I need a decent in ear monitor not only for when I'm in my little studio recording but also live performances. I could probably get a way with using a less expensive system but I make a decent living and it's something that's important to me, plus the Shure's sound is unmatched for strings and vocals.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #159 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

C5 are good? They look great; I will be trying these out tomorrow!

Lemme know what you think. I'd be interested in knowing your opinion.

Listened to them; they’re great. I can’t put the ‘listening experience’ into words without making it read like ‘fluffy’ or ‘over the top’, but the sound is great, rich, you can feel the bass et cetera. But the fitting isn’t for my ears; it uses the cable itself which you can loop into your ear, but it’s not a proper fit for my, rather large, ears. Very good review here though, and rightfully so: they sound very good:
http://theproaudiowebblog.com/bowers-wilkins-c5-review.html




That was, of course, after having used the Apple in-ear earphones for the past couple of years. On my 3rd pair now, but the remote doesn’t work anymore, so I want new ones, but different brand. These B&W are great, but I didn’t want to limit to just one pair and was asked if I had listened to the H3 from B&O. I haven’t, so I popped into a dealer (fortunately the city is filled with them).

I didn’t like the H3, too ‘flat’, not enough bass, drums. Some review agrees with me, but I have no idea if these reviews are any ‘good’. Apostrophised, as I think one needs to listen to headphones themselves and not take someone else’s word for it. Though it does help to see if your opinion is shared by others.
http://theproaudiowebblog.com/bang-olufsen-beoplay-h3-review.html





I’m also curious to the “Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones” probably because of its price tag $329

So I'll pop into the just opened Apple Store, right here in my hometown, to try those out. I presume one is allowed to do that in an Apple Store.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #160 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I’m also curious to the “Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones” probably because of its price tag $329

 

I avoid noise-cancelling cans on principle. I'm really sensitive to the sound of phasing/comb filtering, and the acoustics of the noise-cancellation have to be tuned VERY finely to avoid affecting the "wanted" sound. People whose hearing I trust have told me they have found noise-cancelling cans that work just fine, but I don't trust 'em. Might be irrational bias, might be a working program. I'd suggest making sure you can try them in a noisy environment before committing to something you can't return.

 

I also avoid Bose products on principle. Saying so is likely to ignite the same kind of holy war you'll get over Mac-vs.-PC, but the marketing bullshit Bose pulls pisses me off. It leaves those with untrained ears thinking that boom-sizzle is what speakers are supposed to sound like. I also make my living doing sound, and being seen in possession of a Bose product would result in my being ostracized by the pro audio community!

 

I haven't listened to the Bose or any other recent noise-cancelling phones, so take my comments with the appropriate grain of salt. YMMV.

 

The alternative to noise cancelling is good isolation. Think Shure and Etymotic for brands that are well respected in that regard. Both even provide the option of getting custom ear molds for perfect fit and excellent isolation.

 


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 8/24/14 at 10:26am

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad