or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad - Page 3

post #81 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post
 

You misunderstood, "Plug in speakers are done" is a "trash talking" phrase from the first ad... Hence the smiley. 

 

D'oh! (Slapping my forehead.)

 

Somehow I missed that from the spot. Sorry. I try hard, but I'm just not that bright.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #82 of 167

You gotta be more critical of these reviews. Remember, in most cases they're appearing on sites that are wooing Beats as an advertiser. They won't ever be openly critical, but the real story is usually there if you look carefully. Here's how I'd respond to the review author:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

"You gotta hand it to Beats, the company knows how to make beautiful headphones. The Solo² are some of the most attractive smaller-cup earphones I've seen."

 

Cool! How do they sound?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

"Beats has done a great job with the color and paint finish on the Solo². We received a sample in gray — which really looks more like a slate blue — that are just stunning. The paint is glossy, but at least in this color, they are not fingerprint magnets."

 

Yeah, but they're a listening device -- fingerprints aren't really my primary concern. How do they SOUND?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

"In fact, if I'm being honest, the Studio Wireless are my current favorite Bluetooth over-ear headphones.

 

Favourite BLUETOOTH headphones. Like my favourite diesel-powered race car. They're simply the best of the worst, since Bluetooth is a terrible, terrible thing to do to a perfectly innocent audio signal.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

"The truth is, you can get some very nice headphones for $200. To be sure, they won't be as attractive or fashionable as these Beats"

 

Dood, they're an AUDIO device, not a prom dress! HOW DO THEY SOUND?!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

"However, if you want something that will sound good — especially for hip-hop and dubstep

 

Woah, stop right there. "Sound good" is something that SHOULD be determinable objectively... how can there be an "especially?" Good means as close to the sound of the recording as possible without adding anything or taking anything away. If some kinds of music sound better than others, something is wrong. Very wrong.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 — and look fashionable, the Solo² fit the bill."

 

Yeah, okay, I'm seeing the trend here. Beats aren't really primarily about sound, they're costume jewelry. They're for the kids with the one-note subs in their car that don't reproduce any melodic content but rather just go BMMM and swamp the rest of the spectrum. They like that, but don't worry, they'll grow out of it. Everyone does.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

"Last fall, Beats introduced redesigned versions of the Beats Studio and Studio Wireless over-ear headphones, engineered for better sound. I got a review pair of the Studio Wireless Bluetooth headphones earlier this year and I must say, I was blown away by the difference in quality compared to the Monster-era Beats Studio model."

 

What I read there is "The new models are not as horrid as the old ones." Again, damning with faint praise.

 

I'm probably overstating my feelings about Beats. It obviously doesn't matter to me one way or the other if other people like them. I like to think of myself as being more pragmatic about consumer audio than most audio engineers, but it still drives me crazy when people describe products they bought primarily for reasons other than sound quality by saying "It sounds great!" At least this reviewer was honest! :) 

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #83 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The only reason why I defend Beats is because the unreasonable hate and vile thrown at the brand here.  There really is no good reason to do so.

They make good quality headphones that cost more because of the style factor.  I see no reason why that should breed all these hateful comments about the brand.
Not sure I'd agree with you on good quality. But they make a style certain people like, got recording artists and sports stars to be seen with them and charge a lot for them. And for some people the more expensive something is the better they think it is.

But as I've said before I don't think Apple bought Beats for the headphones. But I do think the only way they could justify the $3B price tag was because the headphones are a money maker. No way is Beats streaming music service worth that much. And shit, if Steve Jobs was only worth $400M no way in hell Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre are worth $3B (and who knows how much involvement they'll have or how long they'll stick around).

The question that's still unanswered (for me at least) is why Cue and Cook felt these guys, this music service was worth so much. What's Jimmy going to do that Apple couldn't do? Or couldn't have done for a much smaller price tag?
post #84 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sorry but Lorin is right

 

As much as I love reading those words (I don't think I've ever read or heard that sentence before!), to be fair I wasn't actually criticizing the Beats product. I was commenting on the use of Bluetooth as an audio transmission medium. I'm not saying I disagree with you, just that I didn't actually say what you credit me with saying.

 

Even the posts in which I openly challenge the positive reviews of the Beats product, what I'm actually criticizing is the review itself, not necessarily the product. My point was that the supposedly "positive" reviews didn't really give the reader much reason to be interested in the product beyond its role as a fashion accessory, and if the comments they published were the best reasons they could come up with to recommend Beats, it gives the impression that there isn't much to praise.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

[...] Bowers and Wilkins [...]

 

Still waiting to hear a B&W product that sucks. Obviously some are better than others, but EVERYTHING they make is at least "decent."

 

The cans you mention (P5) are excellent. So are the C5, for those who prefer buds.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #85 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

...Bowers and Wilkins P5...

Looks great! Sound great as well? I'd presume so, but will check them out as I'm in the market for new over the ear phones for home use and new in-ear phones as the ones from Apple are kaput. Well, the 'remote' is kaput.
Quote:
...my newly aquired Aedle VK-1...

Ooh those look nice!
Quote:
...headphone amplifier like the FiiO E12...

That is one great and useful piece of audio tech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

The cans you mention (P5) are excellent. So are the C5, for those who prefer buds.

C5 are good? They look great; I will be trying these out tomorrow!
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #86 of 167
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
My proof is common sense.  Use it sometimes.

 

In the past, if A, B.

Today, A.

And yet you claim that there won’t be B.

 

So who’s not using common sense?

 
I see a pattern with you.

 

I sense a pattern with Apple. PAY ATTENTION.

 
If you don't get a press release from Apple you don't think something is happening no matter how much evidence there is.

 

Yes, run along to your little fantasyland where all rumors are true and all fact is false if you don’t agree with it. No one else here cares.

 
Do you think Apple is coming out with the iPhone6 or do you think they may not since they have not had a press release or event announcing it yet? 

 

Thanks for the strawman. When you have evidence of Apple retaining the various Beats’ product lines in their current forms, let us know. You won’t. Because you don’t.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #87 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

In the past, if A, B.

Today, A.

And yet you claim that there won’t be B.

In the past, Apple had never spent more than $1bn on an acquisition

Today, Apple have spent $3bn on Beats.

 

Maybe the impact on the books is the only thing different about this acquisition, but given the scale of the difference, I don't think many would be surprised if other differences are on the cards.

 

Many people think a large part of the value in this deal is the consumer brand value, something that has never really been true with an Apple acquisition before.  Throwing that brand value in the trash would be a rather wasteful move.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #88 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

In the past, Apple had never spent more than $1bn on an acquisition
Today, Apple have spent $3bn on Beats.

That is true. Before Beats their largest purchase was Next for about $450 million. However, as a percentage of the value the company Beats is still much lower than Next and therefore much less risky. If we company what Google, Facebook et al. have been paying for companies it's extremely small. Regardless of what Beats does for Apple it's clear that it's not going to hurt Apple in the long run.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #89 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

Cool! How do they sound?

 

 

Yeah, but they're a listening device -- fingerprints aren't really my primary concern. How do they SOUND?

 

 

Favourite BLUETOOTH headphones. Like my favourite diesel-powered race car. They're simply the best of the worst, since Bluetooth is a terrible, terrible thing to do to a perfectly innocent audio signal.

 

 

Dood, they're an AUDIO device, not a prom dress! HOW DO THEY SOUND?!

 

 

Woah, stop right there. "Sound good" is something that SHOULD be determinable objectively... how can there be an "especially?" Good means as close to the sound of the recording as possible without adding anything or taking anything away. If some kinds of music sound better than others, something is wrong. Very wrong.

 

 

Yeah, okay, I'm seeing the trend here. Beats aren't really primarily about sound, they're costume jewelry. They're for the kids with the one-note subs in their car that don't reproduce any melodic content but rather just go BMMM and swamp the rest of the spectrum. They like that, but don't worry, they'll grow out of it. Everyone does.

 

 

What I read there is "The new models are not as horrid as the old ones." Again, damning with faint praise.

 

I'm probably overstating my feelings about Beats. It obviously doesn't matter to me one way or the other if other people like them. I like to think of myself as being more pragmatic about consumer audio than most audio engineers, but it still drives me crazy when people describe products they bought primarily for reasons other than sound quality by saying "It sounds great!" At least this reviewer was honest! :) 

 

Someone mentions that there are no positive reviews of Beats headphones.

I post 2 positive reviews.

Now people say those review sites are not true audiophiles so they don't count.

Really?  

Just give it up already.  People love these headphones.  Deal with it.  Beats owns 80% of the premium consumer headphone market for a reason.

 

I'm sorry but the average users doesn't give a crap about your audiophile standards.

 

Its rated 4.7 stars out of 5 on BestBuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-solo-2-on-ear-headphones-black/5565048.p?id=1219139427502&skuId=5565048&ref=25&loc=SHP&srccode=cii_45538312&cpncode=34-225054210-2

 

Its rated 4.5 stars on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Beats-Solo-On-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B00IYA2YRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407085673&sr=8-1&keywords=beats+solo+2

 

These are REAL users who use the product.

 

Did you listen to the Solo2 personally?

post #90 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

 

Thanks for the strawman. When you have evidence of Apple retaining the various Beats’ product lines in their current forms, let us know. You won’t. Because you don’t.

 

Apple is going to retain the Beats brand at least for the next 5 years.

 

Seems like most of the time you don't care about getting it right, but being right.  Once you choose a side on an issue you stick with it no matter how much evidence there is against it.  Sad.

 

Do you seriously think Apple would throw away the Beats brand name that has tremendous value?  They dominate the high end consumer market with 80% share.  I can't help you.

 

My question is if you only believe things when Apple releases a press release or a event why even clown around in a rumor site?  

post #91 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


 Sound quality, no where near as good as the price suggests they'll be, especislly when compared to decent headphones like my Bowers and Wilkins P5's or my newly aquired Aedle VK-1 Headphone for the same price. Only when paired with a decent headphone amplifier like the FiiO E12 do the Beats start to sound good but that's an additional150.00.

 

 

BS.  The Aedle cost $500.  The BW are $270.  The Solo's are $199.  Stop spewing BS.

 

The BW may sound better but they look clownish compared to the Beats.  

 

Wow. Big surprise your kids broke the Solo2.  Kids break EVERYTHING.

 

Here is a picture of the BW.  No wonder your kids did not want those.

 

 

Again find me a pair of Headphones that look just as good as the Solo2 and sound better that cost $199 or less.

 

Its like comparing a GTR to a Ferrari.  Yes the GTR is just as fast and cost half the price.  But people buy the Ferrari because of the name recognition and superb design.  Why is it so hard for you guys to understand the same thing with Beats?

post #92 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On Twitter DED notes that the Siri voice is from 2012.

 

Meh. The HAL voice is from 1968. Nobody complains. ;)*

 

I always though it was strange that when Mathew Broderick's character from WarGames finally meets the WOPR supercomputer at the Cheyenne Mountain base, the WOPR has the same voice as the "Radio Shack" voice box he had attached to his home computer.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #93 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

Here is a picture of the BW.  No wonder your kids did not want those.

 

 

Again find me a pair of Headphones that look just as good as the Solo2 and sound better that cost $199 or less.

 

 

You like the looks of the Beats better than the B&W? I very much prefer the appearance of the B&W. Elegance over techno. They feel awesome too.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #94 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

Someone mentions that there are no positive reviews of Beats headphones.

I post 2 positive reviews.

Now people say those review sites are not true audiophiles so they don't count.

 

Yes, I joked that the reviews you found were not exactly credible sources of audio reviews, but that wasn't the point and I said so.

 

What I said was that the reviewers didn't seem able to find much to compliment. The best they could come up with is that they're pretty, fingerprint-resistant, sonically inaccurate but at least they boom, less overpriced other than Beats models, and not as awful sounding as the previous generation.

 

Read between the lines. Such a review is NOT "positive."

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #95 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The question that's still unanswered (for me at least) is why Cue and Cook felt these guys, this music service was worth so much. What's Jimmy going to do that Apple couldn't do? Or couldn't have done for a much smaller price tag?

 

It must be for Apple TV, don't you think?

 

I really can't see the added value besides Iovine's connections in the music and movie industry.

 

I am not too keen on the beats brand itself. This is the second clash already:

 

  1. First you had the deal that got leaked before the official announcement. 
  2. … and now we have this below par ad. What the heck was that?
post #96 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

Again find me a pair of Headphones that look just as good as the Solo2 and sound better that cost $199 or less.

 

But you've included an impossible qualifier: "…that look just as good as the Beats…" That's totally subjective, so there's no way to make any meaningful comparisons. Like how I think the B&W look really nice but you don't. You can disqualify anything you want on the basis of not liking its appearance.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

Its like comparing a GTR to a Ferrari.  Yes the GTR is just as fast and cost half the price.  But people buy the Ferrari because of the name recognition and superb design.  Why is it so hard for you guys to understand the same thing with Beats?

 

I get it, but Beats ain't no Ferrari! The Ferrari is performance first above all else. Beats are appearance first, performance is secondary. Plus, the performance the Beats deliver is skewed to favour one particular aspect. They're much more akin to a Tokyo Drifter. There's nothing wrong with that, until people start making it out to be something it's not. Like comparing Beats to Ferrari. THAT'S my objection.


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 8/3/14 at 2:31pm

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #97 of 167

CORRECTION: In an earlier post I endorsed the Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P5. I just realized I've never heard the P5. It was the P7 I was listening to. Oops. Just in case it matters to someone, which I seriously doubt.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #98 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

It must be for Apple TV, don't you think?

I really can't see the added value besides Iovine's connections in the music and movie industry.


I am not too keen on the beats brand itself. This is the second clash already:
  1. First you had the deal that got leaked before the official announcement. 
  2. … and now we have this below par ad. What the heck was that?
No. Iovine already said he wants nothing to do with TV. What evidence is there that Iovine has connections in the TV industry?
post #99 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

CORRECTION: In an earlier post I endorsed the Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P5. I just realized I've never heard the P5. It was the P7 I was listening to. Oops. Just in case it matters to someone, which I seriously doubt.

I have the P7s, and while they sound good I wouldn't wear them outside the house; they've very large.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #100 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

Yes, I joked that the reviews you found were not exactly credible sources of audio reviews, but that wasn't the point and I said so.

 

What I said was that the reviewers didn't seem able to find much to compliment. The best they could come up with is that they're pretty, fingerprint-resistant, sonically inaccurate but at least they boom, less overpriced other than Beats models, and not as awful sounding as the previous generation.

 

Read between the lines. Such a review is NOT "positive."

 

I don't need to read between the lines.  Both reviewers said the Beats sound very good.  Both said they produce great bass.  Both rated them 4 out of 5 stars.  

 

Seems like you are using your bias to reach conclusions that the reviewers never said.  You don't need to read between the lines when its so obvious.  Beats are great looking headphones that sound very good.  Are they the best sounding headphones for the price.  Hell no.  But there are still an excellent choice for many casual listeners who are not concerned about the technicalities that audiophiles are.  Why is that so hard to understand?

post #101 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

You like the looks of the Beats better than the B&W? I very much prefer the appearance of the B&W. Elegance over techno. They feel awesome too.

 

Everyone has their own opinion about style.  I'm glad you like your B&W.  But many of the younger crowd love the clean and modern look of Beats.

 

IMO the B&W look very nice and professional.  They look like something you would use in the studio.  They are not ugly but they look very mature and old school.  The Beats have a more fun and young look to them.

post #102 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

But you've included an impossible qualifier: "…that look just as good as the Beats…" That's totally subjective, so there's no way to make any meaningful comparisons. Like how I think the B&W look really nice but you don't. You can disqualify anything you want on the basis of not liking its appearance.

 

 

I get it, but Beats ain't no Ferrari! The Ferrari is performance first above all else. Beats are appearance first, performance is secondary. Plus, the performance the Beats deliver is skewed to favour one particular aspect. They're much more akin to a Tokyo Drifter. There's nothing wrong with that, until people start making it out to be something it's not. Like comparing Beats to Ferrari. THAT'S my objection.

 

Its not impossible.  Just find a pair that has a similiar look that would appeal to young people.  Your eyes will tell you.  Its like saying the Samsung Galaxy S5 looks just as good as an iPhone5S.  We all know that's not true to the MAJORITY of people.  So find me a pair of headphones that look just as good to the MAJORITY of people as the Solo2 and sound better for the same price.  I have not found any.  

 

But the problem is the GTR out performs the Ferrari.  The GTR cost half the price and can post faster lap times than a $200k Ferrari.  The GTR is faster to 60, faster to 100, faster in the 1/4 mile, faster on the track.  But I don't see anyone criticize someone for buying a Ferrari instead of a GTR.  The reason is because they are willing pay more for the name, the style, and prestige.  The same thing can be said about Beats.  Yes there are headphones that sound better for the price but I have yet to find one that has equal style and brand prestige and sounds better for the same price.

post #103 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 
But the problem is the GTR out performs the Ferrari.  The GTR cost half the price and can post faster lap times than a $200k Ferrari.  The GTR is faster to 60, faster to 100, faster in the 1/4 mile, faster on the track.  But I don't see anyone criticize someone for buying a Ferrari instead of a GTR.  The reason is because they are willing pay more for the name, the style, and prestige.  The same thing can be said about Beats.  Yes there are headphones that sound better for the price but I have yet to find one that has equal style and brand prestige and sounds better for the same price.

 

Gotcha. I get what you mean now.

 

For the record, I don't actually own the B&W P7 cans. Too rich for my blood. When I want isolation and/or sound quality I use a butt-ugly pair of Beyerdynamics I bought for field recording. Really comfortable and natural sounding. Otherwise I just use whatever shit earbuds come with the iPhone.


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 8/3/14 at 9:41pm

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #104 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

Everyone has their own opinion about style.  I'm glad you like your B&W.  But many of the younger crowd love the clean and modern look of Beats.

 

Just between you and me, while I don't care much for the Studio or the Ur, I agree the the Solos look really good. Nice lines. If they were tuned for a more natural sound instead of being hyped for kids I might even consider buying a pair.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #105 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

C5 are good? They look great; I will be trying these out tomorrow!

 

Lemme know what you think. I'd be interested in knowing your opinion.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #106 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


No. Iovine already said he wants nothing to do with TV. What evidence is there that Iovine has connections in the TV industry?

 

In this case I am totally mystified by the added benefit of the beats deal:

 

Apple knows how to do software.

Apple knows how to do services.

Apple knows how to do hardware.

 

Or perhaps there is one thing Apple is not good at:

 

Apple does not know how to be a social platform. Remember Ping? Perhaps this could be the added benefit of beats? To create the new myspace/soundcloud/mixcloud? But then again, beats didn't have a social platform either? :???:
 

I am sorry beats, but I am not impressed by your headphones and brand. It is fun without substance. Shame about the money, there are a billion other ways to spend that kind of money …

post #107 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Apple knows how to do hardware.

And yet Beats has better headphones than Apple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #108 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And yet Beats has better headphones than Apple.

 

That is because Apple hasn't really designed proper headphones.

 

However, they do have the resources, engineers and design team in place to do so. Somehow it is not their priority.

 

I hope they will go back to their music roots with the new iPod series. Perhaps with a little help of beats. I like what Pono did. Not the design of their music player but their approach to the music experience. Great vibes.

post #109 of 167

Now, beats take notice:

 

THIS is what Apple* design stands for: http://youtu.be/VpZmIiIXuZ0

(*) I do love Apple's new iOS and OSX direction. I dig the 5C too. It does feel nice in the hand. So, I am hoping the beats video is just a blip. If you are going to use animated robots, ask EVE. She is much better looking ;) 


Edited by mr O - 8/4/14 at 2:47am
post #110 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

 

I am sorry beats, but I am not impressed by your headphones and brand. It is fun without substance. Shame about the money, there are a billion other ways to spend that kind of money …

 

Have you listened to the Solo2 yourself?

 

Please don't judge Beats by the headphones they made a few years ago.  Those were engineered by Monster and since then they were fired.  Those Monster engineered headphones were terrible.  The new stuff is very good.  So please go to BestBuy and listen to the Solo2 which was engineered by the new team.  They are getting very good reviews.

post #111 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post


You misunderstood, "Plug in speakers are done" is a "trash talking" phrase from the first ad... Hence the smiley.  Go watch it.
Regarding my standards for high end audio, they are actually quite high.  I use an Anthem pre-amp, Anthem amplifiers, some Paradigm speakers, some JM-Labs speakers and three Velodyne DD subs in three zones.  I have a Sennheiser HD-650 but I plan to buy a Beats Solo2 soon.

​It's OK to appreciate good sound but you can't go around criticizing everything because then you miss all the fun.
The Beats Solo2 sounds very good it is very cool.

Sorry but Lorin is right, I would normally be the first one to come to your rescue as the people in the board can defiantly be overly snobby towards products but in this case I get it. My children begged me for a a pair of Beats Solo 2's for Christmas, shortly after the New Years they both broke, one had a blown speaker from crappy techno music and the others cable had frayed, which isn't the first time that had happened with a pair of earphones from Beats in this house, I had a pair of in-ears that lasted 4 months before the cable started to break in 3 different places, just cheap crap. Sound quality, no where near as good as the price suggests they'll be, especislly when compared to decent headphones like my Bowers and Wilkins P5's or my newly aquired Aedle VK-1 Headphone for the same price. Only when paired with a decent headphone amplifier like the FiiO E12 do the Beats start to sound good but that's an additional150.00.

Nope, I don't get it, especially when there are just so many great headphones on the market right now. Also why would you want to own something that everyone has,have you ever counted how many you see in a dsy, it's staggering, almost every kid on the street has one now, buy something unique. You should really check out the Aedle Vk-1's, Bang and Olfusen H6 or Bowers and Wilkins P5 any of those three would also turn heads and they sound amazing. If you do buy the Beats because it is a fashion statement that you just can't live without, then don't forget a good headphone amplifier as it's almost a necessities.

 

Well as you note, almost every kid on the street has one now. There's that time out there when you suddenly discover you are the parent and not the child. You realize you are out of the groove with regard to determining what is cool and hip. You are the one on the outside. My son did not ask for Beats headphones but he did ask for Razer gaming headphones at $60 and a gaming mouse for his computer. I guess I got off lucky.

 

The same arguments that are being made against Beats are often made against Apple. Namely that they are overpriced for what they do, that they rely partly on style to make up the difference and that the remaining price premium is associated with brand and a simple solution to a problem for most people.

 

I'd say Beats fits the Apple profile perfectly in that regard (and also as my drawer of crapped out Apple cables will attest to as well) and more importantly it gets them in as cool with the kids again. Apple hasn't done much with their iPod lines and as a result many more kids have Android phones. A crappy Android tablet has been the go to Grandma gift for about two years now. They are out there. They were bought. Kids have invested into that ecosystem, have their crap on them and there is going to be something necessary to help them move over back to Apple. Apple is still growing but I'm sure they monitor their demo and it is getting older, is probably stlll too white, and is shrinking as an overall percentage of the market. Apple needs an "in" back to the kids and Beats is part of that.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The only reason why I defend Beats is because the unreasonable hate and vile thrown at the brand here.  There really is no good reason to do so.

They make good quality headphones that cost more because of the style factor.  I see no reason why that should breed all these hateful comments about the brand.
Not sure I'd agree with you on good quality. But they make a style certain people like, got recording artists and sports stars to be seen with them and charge a lot for them. And for some people the more expensive something is the better they think it is.

But as I've said before I don't think Apple bought Beats for the headphones. But I do think the only way they could justify the $3B price tag was because the headphones are a money maker. No way is Beats streaming music service worth that much. And shit, if Steve Jobs was only worth $400M no way in hell Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre are worth $3B (and who knows how much involvement they'll have or how long they'll stick around).

The question that's still unanswered (for me at least) is why Cue and Cook felt these guys, this music service was worth so much. What's Jimmy going to do that Apple couldn't do? Or couldn't have done for a much smaller price tag?

 

They were worth it because they know how to get teenagers to easily handover $200 for a pair of headphones. This acquisition is very different from prior acquisitions. People note NeXT was bought but didn't remain independent. Of course they didn't but then again, Steve Jobs became CEO and had history as the founder of Apple. It was more like royalty with Apple retaining the name due to birthright and being first born.

 

Beats is different. The owners are joining Apple's executive board. How many times has that happened in the past?

 

Apple has a problem. The whole Valley has a problem. They were young and hip and now they are old and somewhat less hip. San Francisco has more dogs than children. It's hard to know what the kids want when you don't have any yourself, there aren't any around and your circle of information becomes self-reinforcing.

 

Even half a decade ago there was not a child out there that didn't have an iPod Touch, Nano or was clamoring for them. Now they could honestly care less. Apple still does good business but they aren't the must have solution there. They don't have buzz with the kids.

 

 

Remember that ad? It was from 2002. That is almost a generation ago. The "reasoning" on that ad still sounds right to the kids but Apple hasn't addressed that in a long time. The product placement, the social media, the cachet of stars and artists using your stuff has been what Beats has been doing for quite a while. Beats has Nicki Minaj wearing their headphones. Apple is like dad standing around wondering what the hell a Minaj is and scratching his head confused as to when did U2 stop being popular.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

In the past, if A, B.

Today, A.

And yet you claim that there won’t be B.

In the past, Apple had never spent more than $1bn on an acquisition

Today, Apple have spent $3bn on Beats.

 

Maybe the impact on the books is the only thing different about this acquisition, but given the scale of the difference, I don't think many would be surprised if other differences are on the cards.

 

Many people think a large part of the value in this deal is the consumer brand value, something that has never really been true with an Apple acquisition before.  Throwing that brand value in the trash would be a rather wasteful move.

 

I fully agree. I wouldn't be shocked if Apple even went so far as to create a Beats setting within the iPhone to make sure they sound best when plugged into iPhone but they won't throw the brand away.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

In the past, Apple had never spent more than $1bn on an acquisition
Today, Apple have spent $3bn on Beats.

That is true. Before Beats their largest purchase was Next for about $450 million. However, as a percentage of the value the company Beats is still much lower than Next and therefore much less risky. If we company what Google, Facebook et al. have been paying for companies it's extremely small. Regardless of what Beats does for Apple it's clear that it's not going to hurt Apple in the long run.

 

No hurt, possibly some help, especially with the kids and marketing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

 

I am sorry beats, but I am not impressed by your headphones and brand. It is fun without substance. Shame about the money, there are a billion other ways to spend that kind of money …

 

Have you listened to the Solo2 yourself?

 

Please don't judge Beats by the headphones they made a few years ago.  Those were engineered by Monster and since then they were fired.  Those Monster engineered headphones were terrible.  The new stuff is very good.  So please go to BestBuy and listen to the Solo2 which was engineered by the new team.  They are getting very good reviews.

 

Like you said, there are better headphones and Beats has figured out that price point. First they got the kids to care and they cared enough to hand over $200. That is important. This is a premium and youth oriented market and Beats absolutely owns it. Even if the kids defending Beats sound like Ellen in the video above, they care about and are defending it. That means their purchasing decisions will carry forward as adults along similar lines and that will probably mean lining the pockets of Apple with their cash.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #112 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Have you listened to the Solo2 yourself?

 

Please don't judge Beats by the headphones they made a few years ago.  Those were engineered by Monster and since then they were fired.  Those Monster engineered headphones were terrible.  The new stuff is very good.  So please go to BestBuy and listen to the Solo2 which was engineered by the new team.  They are getting very good reviews.


hello sog35,

I was told they were engineered for mainly hiphop music. Low bass etcetera. Not my thing …

I listen to jazz, classical, electronic and progressive (techno). I don't want the bass to be prominent. I want to hear the soundscape. Something Pono has been teasing us for a while.

Do you have a Solo2? How do the headphones feel after prolonged use? Does it give ear cramps?

 

I'm not a big fan of the current design either.

I'd better wait until Ive's design team got their hands on the Solo2. 

post #113 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post
 


hello sog35,

I was told they were engineered for mainly hiphop music. Low bass etcetera. Not my thing …

I listen to jazz, classical, electronic and progressive (techno). I don't want the bass to be prominent. I want to hear the soundscape. Something Pono has been teasing us for a while.

Do you have a Solo2? How do the headphones feel after prolonged use? Does it give ear cramps?

 

I'm not a big fan of the current design either.

I'd better wait until Ive's design team got their hands on the Solo2. 

 

I don't own any Beats headphones nor do I listen to hip hop.

 

But i did take a look at them at Best Buy and compared to the Solo1 they feel much nicer.

post #114 of 167
Sorry, I don't see any videos from the links given in the article. Any chance the video has moved places? If that is the case, any chance the original video was a hoax?
post #115 of 167

Another great review for Solo2

 

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/11/beats-solo-2-review-great-looks-now-with-better-sound/

 

"If you’re looking for everyday walkaround headphones, the Beats Solo 2 are hard to beat. They’re good-looking, they sound plenty good enough for most users, and they’re very comfortable. A variety of color options sweetens the pie, too. If you don’t care about fashion, you can find cheaper headphones that offer similar performance, but Beats has done an admirable job of earning up to their popularity this time around."

 

 

Sounds like a winner to me

post #116 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Another great review for Solo2

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/11/beats-solo-2-review-great-looks-now-with-better-sound/

"If you’re looking for everyday walkaround headphones, the Beats Solo 2 are hard to beat. They’re good-looking, they sound plenty good enough for most users, and they’re very comfortable. A variety of color options sweetens the pie, too. If you don’t care about fashion, you can find cheaper headphones that offer similar performance, but Beats has done an admirable job of earning up to their popularity this time around."


Sounds like a winner to me

I still wouldn't invest in a pair and no their not hard to beat, the quality just doesn't compare with other headphones on the market at similar price points. Our family has gone threw a few Beats headphones already, in all three case they didn't last more then 6 months. I take very good care of my things and I couldn't even preserve mine, Beat headphones just arent worth the expenditure. Go for Bowers & Wilkins P5's, my husband's new car came with two pair for the rear passenger seats, their of amazing quality and sound fantastic. I was so pressed that I purchased the C5's, in ear style, love them. Simply put, they wipe the floor with the Beats Solo 2's, going so far as even guaranteeing it, they will refund your money back up to 90 days if you not 100 percent satisfied with them.

C1-P5ME.png
Edited by Relic - 8/4/14 at 1:02pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #117 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


I still wouldn't invest in a pair and no their not hard to beat, the quality just doesn't compare with other headphones on the market at similar price points. Our family has gone threw a few Beats headphones already, in all three case they didn't last more then 6 months. I take very good care of my things and I couldn't even preserve mine, Beat headphones just arent worth the expenditure. Go for Bowers & Wilkins P5's, my husband's new car came with two pair for the rear passenger seats, their of amazing quality and sound fantastic. I was so pressed that I purchased the C5's, in ear style, love them. Simply put, they wipe the floor with the Beats Solo 2's, going so far as even guaranteeing it, they will refund your money back up to 90 days if you not 100 percent satisfied with them.

C1-P5ME.png

 

I'm sure they sound great.

But very few kids would wear those in public.

 

They also seem very large and bulky.  The Solo2 can fold.

 

IMO, those are studio/at home headphones.  The Solo2 are on the go headphones. 

post #118 of 167

Nah, the P5s aren't large and bulky at all, they're pretty small compared to most.  And though I'm not a great fan of the leather band, the cans themselves are pretty cool

 

 

The P7s are more suited to studio/home listening, the P3s and P5s are very much on the go phones.  The P3s fold in and the P5s twist flat.  The P7s fold in as well, so not really sure why the P5s don't.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #119 of 167

Here, a picture of B&W and Beats together.  These are actually the P3s, but they're around the same size as the P5s, just a bit less premium in the materials.  I'd say the B&Ws are a little smaller than the Beats (Solo1, I think?).

 

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #120 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig35 View Post
 

 

I'm sure they sound great.

But very few kids would wear those in public.

 

They also seem very large and bulky.  The Solo2 can fold.

 

IMO, those are studio/at home headphones.  The Solo2 are on the go headphones. 

There actually smaller and lighter then the Solo2's, not bulky at all. May I ask why your trying so hard to defend a product that you don't even own. I would give it a year for Apple to spread some of their magic on them before pulling the trigger, it's your money but I guarantee you will not be happy with your purchase after a few months.

 

Anyway, the P3's also come in different colors for the kids;

 

 

Also as you can see below, the cable and speaker foamy's are easily replaceable which means you could own these pretty much forever. They also include an extra cable in case you break it, Bowers & Wilkins really know what their doing and I can't recommend them enough. As a person who has owned Beats and now these, these come up on top in every way imaginable. 

 

 

 

Fold-able, hmmm, do you mean something like this;

 

 

......and a nice little review;

 


Edited by Relic - 8/4/14 at 3:05pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad