or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Al-Qaeda prefers Android over Apple's iOS

Al-Qaeda prefers Android over Apple's iOS - Page 2

post #41 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I'm really feeling quite discombobulated.

Isn't that discombobschlobulated?

Post of the week.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #42 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

@Apple][
Unfortunately, the Islamic terrorists do use Macs as well. At least in their PR departments. There are some online magazines that they produce and I was asked by a security professional friend of mine to analyze a few copies of the PDFs that were being distributed and meta data inside clearly pointed to Mac based Adobe and other software being used to create them. One had Mac Photoshop and InDesign meta data and another Mac Photoshop and some other Mac based PDF combiner software metadata.

It doesn't surprise me that Adobe would be the malware of choice for terrorists.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #43 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I've seen some click-bait articles in my time, but this one takes the biscuit. 

I can speed read, but this is still 30 seconds of my life that I'm not getting back.

Shame on you, DED.

If only you had been given free will and weren't forced to click on the article.

I lament the laborious few seconds it must have taken you to write such an incisive, thought-provoking analysis of the article with howling and wailing.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #44 of 204
I imagine that Samsung will use this article's headline for its next advertisement. Such is the inverted morality they have demonstrated both in and out of the law courts, that I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung regarded their endorsement by terrorists who murder as a good thing.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #45 of 204
Apple is going to have to launch a whole new marketing campaign to gain market share with the terrorists, maybe a feel good ad with vignettes of suicide bombers talking to their loved ones on an iPhone just before triggering the detonator, iPhones used as missile guidance and bomb timers, FaceTime for communication between cells, real time ambush monitoring, stuff like that.
post #46 of 204

Amazing article.  Off the charts.

censored

censored

post #47 of 204
Why am I not surprised to find this is a DED diatribe
post #48 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

Why am I not surprised to find this is a DED diatribe

You tell us; we're not mind readers.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #49 of 204
The irony of these strange facts is not lost on all of us.
post #50 of 204
I'm still waiting for Google to ditch Android. Didn't DED tell us that was going to happen last year? And yet this years I/O conference was pretty much all about Android.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues
post #51 of 204

i usually enjoy DED opinion pieces but this one was just unnecessary.

post #52 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to Android users being singled out for targeted malware attacks, the insecure nature of the platform provides Al-Qaeda with a vast network of devices to exploit for use in either distributed Denial of Service attacks or as a supercomputing cluster.

HAHAHA. Even for you, Dilger, that is ridiculous.

If al-Qaeda's cyber-terrorism strategy is based on a supercomputing cluster of cheap smartphones, then I doubt the West has much to worry about.

Do you actually read back the drivel you're writing? What does this article even have to do with Apple? It's just another misconceived Android slur piece whose logic is no more advanced than 'terrorists use Android and terrorists are bad, so Android must be bad'. I know five-year-olds who can deploy more sophisticated logic than that.

For goodness sake, AI, come to the realisation that he's a feckless fanboy who's turning your site into a laughing stock. Take away his pen.

post #53 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm still waiting for Google to ditch Android. Didn't DED tell us that was going to happen last year? And yet this years I/O conference was pretty much all about Android.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues

I don’t know what kind of site you think AppleInsider is but it’s not a professional tech news outlet. It’s an Apple fan site. This sort of thing goes on daily at Android fan sites. They are always predicting the demise of Apple and gloating about the ‘overwhelming dominance’ of Android. Dan Dilger is a pro-Apple blogger who has a talent for writing. He’s a spinmeister of the highest order and I put him in the same category as the Macalope over at MacWorld. What’s wrong with a little flag waving and pledging of allegiance once in awhile? 

post #54 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I don’t know what kind of site you think AppleInsider is but it’s not a professional tech news outlet. It’s an Apple fan site. This sort of thing goes on daily at Android fan sites. They are always predicting the demise of Apple and gloating about the ‘overwhelming dominance’ of Android. Dan Dilger is a pro-Apple blogger who has a talent for writing. He’s a spinmeister of the highest order and I put him in the same category as the Macalope over at MacWorld. What’s wrong with a little flag waving and pledging of allegiance once in awhile? 

One thing is being an Apple fan site and other totally different is being a hatred site totally out of reality

post #55 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokip View Post

Daniel,

I don't often scratch my head reading your pieces, but this one left a bald spot.

And this is AI news because?

Not sure about the "I" portion of AI as relates to this article - but since Apple and the products they sell do not exist in a vacuum, I am perfectly fine with reports such as this where even if Apple or Apple products are not even mentioned - it is obvious that there is a stark contrast between Apple's products and the competition's offerings.  

post #56 of 204
In defense of DED

I am curious why the response from most is so negative to this editorial. If the information is false then give sources showing it to be so. If it is true it is surely as news worthy as all the silly rumors about rumors of rumors.

The obvious response, for me at least, and I read the entire thread expecting someone to have said this, is the US spy services should develop a Stuxnet type approach and apologize for the collateral damage to Google later. The fact they use such a poorly made OS as Android as their main communications system is surely good news for any American?

Had the information been they were using mainly iOS then that would be bad news. As I say, I am scratching my head at the responses, AI has long covered all things Google and Scamsung why is this different?

My only slightly negative feeling is this should be kept quiet and the Stuntex type attack put out there ASAP. I don't want them who shall not be named switching!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #57 of 204
Bonnie and Clyde loved their Ford V8s. Clyde even wrote a letter to Henry Ford saying what a dandy car it was. The letter is on display at the Ford Museum now. So it is of historical curiosity when criminals favour a certain product. Still, I think the author might have avoided criticism if he started such articles with "This is an opinion piece with some speculative comments."
post #58 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The fact they use such a poorly made OS as Android

This is the problem with DED articles, he starts with such blatantly false assumptions an he then wwritetwo thousand words trying to spin reality to his world

post #59 of 204

Great article DED. Your insightful articles about the losers and or low life's that use android are spot on. 

Keep up the good work.

post #60 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

This is the problem with DED articles, he starts with such blatantly false assumptions an he then wwritetwo thousand words trying to spin reality to his world

Then you and I must agree to disagree. Did you read this report: https://www.recordedfuture.com/al-qaeda-encryption-technology-part-2/

Please post your links to counter arguments. I will gladly read them. Or are you making statements without any support?

Meanwhile for anyone reading what you write, here is a link to your work thus far so they can judge your balanced approach for themselves. 1biggrin.gif

: http://forums.appleinsider.com/forums/posts/by_user/id/49281
Edited by digitalclips - 8/3/14 at 6:12am
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #61 of 204
Quote:

Quote:

Doh!

So discombobulated that I missed that one!

(Right in front of me)

post #62 of 204
Quote:

Then you and I must agree to disagree. Did you read this report: https://www.recordedfuture.com/al-qaeda-encryption-technology-part-2/

Please post your links to counter arguments. I will gladly read them. Or are you making statements without any support?

Yap, I have read them, and that report has nothing to do with Android being or not a poorly done OS, it just say that Al Qaeda uses some encryption application, nothing more.

post #63 of 204

This is DED's best work.

post #64 of 204
So iOS actually does =

Freedom.

XD
post #65 of 204
Quote:

Doh!
(Right in front of me)

LOL I confess until you posted that I had not spotted that either! I was assuming it was a discombombulated joke that went wrong!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #66 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yap, I have read them, and that report has nothing to do with Android being or not a poorly done OS, it just say that Al Qaeda uses some encryption application, nothing more.

I'd suggest, politely, you hop on over back to your Android fan web site and stop wasting digital space here.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #67 of 204
Quote:

I'd suggest, politely, you hop on over back to your Android fan web site and stop wasting digital space here.

So, yes, when you're proven wrong you try to censor others.

By the way, I politely suggest that you can stop reading me, but I'm not an Android fan and I won't leave this site. If you don't agree, you can argument it.

post #68 of 204
Quote:

Daniel,

I don't often scratch my head reading your pieces, but this one left a bald spot.

Really?  Almost all of DED's "pieces" leave me bald.

post #69 of 204
I'm a very long time reader of this website and also of Daniel's Roughly Drafted site. I respect Daniel's opinions and I love listening to him on the tech night owl.

However, this post is utterly appalling and reprehensible. Equating android and Al Qaeda makes sense in who's alternate universe?

Daniel often rails - rightly - against poorly considered journalism and sensationalism.

Well Daniel, this is as tabloid, sensationalist and low as any 'tech' article I've ever read.

Shame on you and AppleInsider. I really thought you were better than this.

:-(
post #70 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

You've gotta be fucking kidding me with this article.

I can't even make it past the headline, DED opinion articles have reached a new all time low.

I have no idea why you think so. This is a fascinating bit of news, and I found it to be quite intriguing. The fact that they're creating apps is not something I would have guessed.
post #71 of 204
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doh!
(Right in front of me)

Now that you have clarity on the matter, I hope you're enjoying your feeling of bobschlobulation.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #72 of 204

The moral of the story is.... when careless greedy capitalist release products into the world without any consideration of the consequences which those devices (or software) may create we all suffer for their shabby carelessness. Car manufacturers in the US built death traps until laws changed forcing them to include seat belts and other safety measures. Technology has not reached this point or at least has not shown its dangerous side on large enough a scale to bring about laws to regulate it. 

post #73 of 204
This is a ridiculous article. Guilt by association indeed. Why don't you do an article on human rights defenders on the android platform or the Panic Button app by Amnesty International to at least offer some perspective?
post #74 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinthar View Post

(ie if you use Android, you're more likely to be a terrorist).

You've obviously got issues understanding causality....
post #75 of 204
Quote:

Quote:

Doh!
(Right in front of me)

LOL I confess until you posted that I had not spotted that either! I was assuming it was a discombombulated joke that went wrong!

Hope the discombombulated joke doesn't get seized by Al Quaeda using the discombobschlobulated malware that is Android.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #76 of 204
Evil loves evil.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #77 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby132 View Post

Quote:

Daniel,

Really?  Almost all of DED's "pieces" leave me bald.

Too much thinking required for those hairs to cope with, eh?
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #78 of 204
The equivalent of this article is:

Paper is proven to aid Al-Queda terrorist because it's easier to plan & write on paper than a rock.
post #79 of 204
Water is shown to aid Al-Queda terrorists because it quenches their thirst.
post #80 of 204

I'm always amazed how many folks don't grasp how logic works. The article was actually quite clear about the reasons terrorists like Android: there are cheap Android phones available, Apple doesn't sell phones in some areas in the Middle East, apps can be shared more easily since Google doesn't curate their app store as closely as Apple. 

But there is no "guilt by association" issue going on. The author isn't saying if you have an Android phone, your buddies are more likely to be terrorists. And in fact, if you live in the US or most of Europe, the chance of an Android phone owner being a terrorist is probably about the same as that of an Apple phone user. But if you are living in Yemen or Afghanistan, yeah there is a higher chance that the guy buying a throw away phone is a terrorist. So let's not get all bent out of shape about something the author didn't get into. 

But this article is actually more important than the commenters seem to realize. The author is looking at the geo data on phone sales and the policies of Apple and Google regarding their app stores and pointing out how a terrorist will use those business policies to help them evade the notice of spy organizations. There's actually a lot of insight here. I've seen a bunch of articles in the tech and national media and this is the first coverage I've seen that details this issue. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Al-Qaeda prefers Android over Apple's iOS