or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analyst: Apple could equip 5.5" 'iPhone 6' with more powerful processor than 4.7" model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Analyst: Apple could equip 5.5" 'iPhone 6' with more powerful processor than 4.7" model - Page 2

post #41 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post
 


Most people wouldn't care about a small difference in processor clock speed. But there would definitely be an issue if the larger phone came with exclusive features like a better camera or some new functionality.

 

gotta pay to play.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

gotta pay to play.


The price is not the issue.

post #43 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

gotta pay to play.
It's not about price. Not everyone wants a phablet.
post #44 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


It's not about price. Not everyone wants a phablet.

 

buy bigger pants or lose weight.

problem solved.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #45 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


It's not about price. Not everyone wants a phablet.

 

it is what it is.

this is like saying I wish Ferrari made the F40 with four doors.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #46 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

buy bigger pants or lose weight.

problem solved.

 

Bet you look great in your dad jeans.

 

post #47 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

it is what it is.

this is like saying I wish Ferrari made the F40 with four doors.


That's exactly right... a phablet is like a 4-door Ferrari (or make that a Yugo).

post #48 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post
 


That's exactly right... a phablet is like a 4-door Ferrari (or make that a Yugo).

 

Seriously.  You small phone freaks need to get with the times.  If it was up to you guys we would still be stuck with 2 inch displays.......

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #49 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post
 

 

Bet you look great in your dad jeans.

 

 

 

 

two words:

 

Man.

Purse.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #50 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Screen size shouldn't define whether an iPhone is "premium" or not. What if I prefer faster processor, better camera, screen and battery life but I don't want a phablet? The iPad Air is slightly faster than the retina mini but in every day use it is hardly noticeable. And the color gamut is slightly better on the Air as well. Other than that the two devices are the same. Why would Apple go the opposite way with iPhone?

They've got an extra 15% space or so with a 5.5" device. It would be a great shame to see that go to waste when it could be used for extra battery space or something like OIS. I don't think it'd be a case of one device being 'premium' or one being 'low-end' - it would just be a case of Apple making the best possible use of the materials they've got available. Nobody's saying the iPad should be constrained by what can fit in an iPhone, or the 4.7" model by what could fit in the old 3.5".

post #51 of 93

I think it would be cool if the 5.5 came with optional cellular voice. That way people who wanted to use it as a phone could, and others could use it as a super-mini iPad. If the 5.5 has different capabilities than the 4.7, I might consider buying both.

 

I can't wait for iOS 8 with Continuity so I can use my iPad as a home phone. I'm pretty sure only one person can be logged in at a time, but it would be cool if it could support multiple Apple IDs at the same time. That way all the family members could automatically make and receive calls on the same iPad.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #52 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

I think it would be cool if the 5.5 came with optional cellular voice. That way people who wanted to use it as a phone could, and others could use it as a super-mini iPad. If the 5.5 has different capabilities than the 4.7, I might consider buying both.

 

I can't wait for iOS 8 with Continuity so I can use my iPad as a home phone. I'm pretty sure only one person can be logged in at a time, but it would be cool if it could support multiple Apple IDs at the same time. That way all the family members could automatically make and receive calls on the same iPad.

See, that's what I'm hoping for. I need a new phone, but on the other hand I've never really understood the point of having a phone + iPad + macbook. A phablet-sized iPhone plus a macbook would do nicely, however.

post #53 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1 View Post
 

What products are they at the expense of?

 

MAC F*CKING MINI!!! :lol:

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #54 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'd like to see a 12" iPad with at least 8 GB RAM and 256 GB Flash.

 

As long as it doesn't wind up costing more than a MacBook Air, me too!

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #55 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post
 

"If you see a stylus, they blew it."

- Steve Jobs

 

In general that's true, but there are some tasks for which, let's face it, a fingertip is just too blunt a tool. A stylus option would be welcome.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #56 of 93
I'm not convinced that Apple are going to make two different sizes of iPhone 6. For a start, the same analysts that are clamouring for it now, will be pointing out how each model sold less than the iPhone 5s, and therefore they were both failures. Even if they each sell 75% of the iPhone 5s sales.

Of course, this will be based on rampant speculation, anyway, since Apple won't release the individual model breakdowns, but the more variants they release, the more open they are to this kind of speculation.

There is also the issue of running separate production lines for the two different models. Apple has seemed reluctant to needlessly complicate the assembly process, while have two different sized phones will require two (slightly) different assembly lines.

That said, if they did release two sizes, I'm not sure what distinctions they will have between them. Consider the MacBook Air. The chief distinction between the 11" and 13" MacBook Airs is screen size. Every other option is identical (cpu speed, memory, SSD capacity, etc...) Likewise the iPad Air and iPad mini.

On the other hand, consider the MacBook Pro. The 13" only has a dual-core processor option, and no option for the extra graphics processor. The chief reason for this distinction, as far as I can see, is due to the size of the unit. It is more difficult to disspate heat from a quad-core in that space, and there's no room for the extra graphics card.

So, I think if there is a difference between the (essentially confirmed) 4.7" iPhone 6, and the (alleged) 5.5" iPhone 6, it will be for sound technical reasons, not because the big one is "premium". That's if the 5.5" model exists at all. Which I still doubt.
post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

In general that's true, but there are some tasks for which, let's face it, a fingertip is just too blunt a tool. A stylus option would be welcome.

 

What's stopping you currently from using a stylus on any iOS device?

 

It's not a matter of whether you have the option to use a stylus, but whether the devices should ship with a stylus. Consider that most use cases don't require a stylus and the inclusion of one would likely encourage poor app UI design with tiny, non-touch friendly controls. Microsoft tried that a few years back and it didn't work out so well for them.

post #58 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post
 

What's stopping you currently from using a stylus on any iOS device?

 

Until now, the fact that I didn't know such a thing exists.

 

Do you know if they're any good?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #59 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

Until now, the fact that I didn't know such a thing exists.

 

Do you know if they're any good?


Actually, yeah. This was my favorite by far:

 

 

 

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/everyday/bamboo-stylus-duo   

 

But again, for 99% of what I use my iPad for this didn't really help. If you ever want to draw or handwrite anything then definitely useful. I like this particular one because of its high quality and the versatility of having a pen on one end.

post #60 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Agree with everything except for water resistance. The technology is already out there to coat PBCs with a water repellent film that doesn't affect normal operation or cooling. I wouldn't go so far as to market a "sports" model, nor to brag about "mil-spec" submersibility since this would require the use of awkward and easy to lose plastic covers for external ports (a la Samsung). Nonetheless, providing some degree of water resistance seems like a no-brainer as it would give users some peace of mind to use their devices when exposed to perspiration, an occasional rain shower or around damp, poolside environments.

I don't disagree but Apple isn't going to release a Sport version. If Apple deems the tech worthy, then All iphone X will be water resistant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Steve was talking about primary mode of interaction. My fingers will never be better for note taking or drawing.

Pct of peeps needing a stylus. Not that significant. There are third party options for those that do.
post #61 of 93
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
More proof that the 5.5 is coming on. So obvious at this point.

 

lol.

post #62 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

buy bigger pants or lose weight.
problem solved.
So let's say for the sake of argument that the smaller device was going to have superior specs/features. Would you say it is what it is? It seems to me those saying "it is what it is" or "get over it" are the ones who prefer a phablet sized device.
post #63 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


So let's say for the sake of argument that the smaller device was going to have superior specs/features. Would you say it is what it is? It seems to me those saying "it is what it is" or "get over it" are the ones who prefer a phablet sized device.

 

I'd deal with it.  

Get better glasses.

 

People need to stop being crybabies and just get with the program.

The large size is an advantage because it allows for a bigger battery, faster cpu, ect.   Larger phones are what people want.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #64 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

They've got an extra 15% space or so with a 5.5" device. It would be a great shame to see that go to waste when it could be used for extra battery space or something like OIS. I don't think it'd be a case of one device being 'premium' or one being 'low-end' - it would just be a case of Apple making the best possible use of the materials they've got available. Nobody's saying the iPad should be constrained by what can fit in an iPhone, or the 4.7" model by what could fit in the old 3.5".
so OIS could only work in a 5.5" device?

I'm not saying a 5.5" device should be made worse so it isn't more "premium" than a 4.7" device. I'm saying the reverse. The iPad Air doesn't have better hardware or different features than the iPad mini. The difference in the A7 clock speed between the two devices isn't really even noticeable and I'm guessing it was done for thermal reasons not to create some artificial differentiation between the two iPads. At this point I don't see a convincing reason why a 5.5. iPhone should have better hardware than a 4.7" iPhone (battery excluded).
post #65 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


so OIS could only work in a 5.5" device?

I'm not saying a 5.5" device should be made worse so it isn't more "premium" than a 4.7" device. I'm saying the reverse. The iPad Air doesn't have better hardware or different features than the iPad mini. The difference in the A7 clock speed between the two devices isn't really even noticeable and I'm guessing it was done for thermal reasons not to create some artificial differentiation between the two iPads. At this point I don't see a convincing reason why a 5.5. iPhone should have better hardware than a 4.7" iPhone (battery excluded).

you yourself said it.

 

compare the 1st Gen iPadMini and iPad.

 

Even Samdung uses better hardware for their Note3 vs Galaxy S5.  

I don't see what the big deal is.

Its like expecting the MacBookAir to be just as powerful as the top of the line MacBookPro.

Its just so much easier to make a device more powerful if its bigger.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #66 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 Larger phones are what some people want.

fixed that for you. :) 

post #67 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

you yourself said it.

compare the 1st Gen iPadMini and iPad.

Even Samdung uses better hardware for their Note3 vs Galaxy S5.  
I don't see what the big deal is.
Its like expecting the MacBookAir to be just as powerful as the top of the line MacBookPro.
Its just so much easier to make a device more powerful if its bigger.
Yeah Apple did it with the first iPad mini but they didn't with the 2nd gen. The Note and Galaxy S are completely different products that are released at different times of the year. Note in the fall, Galaxy S in the spring. The MBA is a different product than the MBP. Has a different design and was designed for different use cases. So far other than this rumor, the little that we know about the alleged 5.5" phone suggests it's going to be nothing more than a bigger version of the 4.7" model. Now if Apple decides to make it a completely different product category with a different name and feature set then that's a completely different conversation.

My issue is making a 5.5" model that's just a bigger version of its sibling and giving it a better camera, processor and sapphire display just because, just to arbitrarily differentiate it from the smaller model. That I think is a mistake. Right now Apple is selling record numbers of iPhones and that's with a 4" display. Clearly not everyone wants a phablet. Apple stopped making people have to chose with iPads, they shouldn't start doing it with iPhones.
post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'd deal with it.  
Get better glasses.

People need to stop being crybabies and just get with the program.
The large size is an advantage because it allows for a bigger battery, faster cpu, ect.   Larger phones are what people want.
Don't assume what you want is what everyone else wants. Currently Apple is selling a record number of iPhones. iPhones with a 4" display. For a long time the 4S was one of their most popular models and that has an even smaller display. You have no hard evidence to suggest most iPhone users want a phablet.
post #69 of 93

From what I heard; Apple is going to be competing directly with Samsung's Note 4!

 

So, they have to play by Samsung's rules.  Samsung's Note 4 will have better components then the Samsung S5!

 

I read that Apple will have these phones in September:

 

iPhone 6 5.5" Premium model - better screen, better SoC, 128GB storage.

iPhone 6 4.7" Mid tier model - up to 64GB

iPhone 5C Budget model with the 32GB option removed.  Only 16GB available in U.S. model. 

 

Discontinue: 5S

post #70 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Well, they did make an A5/A5X and also an A6/A6X.

However, I think the A7 allowed Apple to combine both increased performance (suitable for the iPad) and reduced power consumption (for the iPhone) into a single device. I don't see them going back to making an A8/A8X.
A5 and A6 simply the iPads had it for there resolutions where double iPhone, requiring double the gpu power, if anything this bring the resolutions closer on IOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post

I would not be surprised if the A8 on a larger-format iPhone is clocked at a faster speed, since it should be easier to cool. I would also not be surprised by other differences between the two iPhones (4.7 vs 5.5) such as one having a Gorilla Glass screen and the other having sapphire, one coming with 16 GB standard and the other with 32GB.

I would be surprised, however, if their prices are the same or nearly the same. Apple would benefit financially by dividing the iPhone market into "superior" and "premium" segments -- one priced at $649 and the other priced at $749 or $799. Apple's incremental cost of a premium model might be $50, more or less, while its incremental revenue would be two or three times that amount.
You just repeated about every rumor you wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who decided larger screen = Best? I don't want a 5.5" phone. If Apple goes that route then I'll just keep my 5S and see they they do next year. I'm not going to purchase an inferior device just because I prefer a smaller screen size.
It is sad, preferably I think a 4.2-5 inch model if there not going to add 4 inch would be better but I'm willing a 4.7, thing is the 5,6,7 inch phones obviosly are junk for there resolutions where now they feel that at that size they should have higher resolution then tv's, come on!!!
post #71 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

Until now, the fact that I didn't know such a thing exists.

 

Do you know if they're any good?

 

I have a stylus for the iPad but I stopped using it after the first few days.

The fact is that, until there is a digitizer on the screen, it is very difficult to get precision, especially for drawing. There are a lot of new styluses (stylii?) with a lot of pressure points, but you still get a noticeable lag when using them.

 

An iPad with a Wacom-like digitizer is one thing I really want. Whether it happens or not is up in the (iPad) air.

post #72 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple stopped making people have to chose with iPads, they shouldn't start doing it with iPhones.

 

Apple still does it with computers, though. Want a dedicated GPU? Gotta buy the bigger screen. Want easily replaceable RAM? Gotta buy the bigger one. In fact, you have to buy a bigger display just to get more STORAGE! Talk about arbitrary!

 

Apple is not above artificial delineation.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #73 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Don't assume what you want is what everyone else wants. Currently Apple is selling a record number of iPhones. iPhones with a 4" display. For a long time the 4S was one of their most popular models and that has an even smaller display. You have no hard evidence to suggest most iPhone users want a phablet.

 

Nor does anyone have any "hard evidence" that people prefer smaller screens. What little published research we've seen has either combined screen preference with other factors like price or used moving goalposts (4.5" Phone A is classified as "Large" while 4.5" Phone B is classified as "Medium"). No one has published a survey that asked users "All else being equal, what size display do you prefer?"

 

"Record sales" don't necessarily mean Apple has hit the sweet spot, either. There are lots of reasons to choose an iPhone, and on this very forum we've heard from many who say they bought theirs IN SPITE of the screen size, not because of it. Maybe a larger screen will set new, even HIGHER records for sales. Or you could be right, and it may not sell well. We simply don't have good enough information to make meaningful predictions.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #74 of 93
Bottom line:  Apple wants to sell a bunch of $299 contract phones.
 
How do you do that?  Give the bigger phone more features.
 
iPhone 6 - 5.5 screen, faster A8, sapphire screen - $299
iPhone 6 - 4.7 screen, A8 - $199
iPhone Color - Plastic, 4 inch screen, A7, Touch ID - $99
iPhone 5C - Free
 

 

 

 

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #75 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

From what I heard; Apple is going to be competing directly with Samsung's Note 4!

So, they have to play by Samsung's rules.  Samsung's Note 4 will have better components then the Samsung S5!

I read that Apple will have these phones in September:

iPhone 6 5.5" Premium model - better screen, better SoC, 128GB storage.
iPhone 6 4.7" Mid tier model - up to 64GB
iPhone 5C Budget model with the 32GB option removed.  Only 16GB available in U.S. model. 

Discontinue: 5S
except that Samsung doesn't release the Note at the same time as the Galaxy S. One is released in the spring, one in the fall. They're basically two different products with different names.

No one has yet been able to provide a good reason for screen size determining what is "premium" other than this artificial differentiation. Is there a technical reason for the 5.5" model having a better screen and higher storage? I doubt it because it's not the case with iPads any more. I understand the concept of Good($) > Better($$) > Best($$$) but screen size shouldn't have anything to do with it. Currently Apple's pricing tiers for iOS devices are based on storage, not hardware or features. I don't think they should change that.
post #76 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Nor does anyone have any "hard evidence" that people prefer smaller screens. What little published research we've seen has either combined screen preference with other factors like price or used moving goalposts (4.5" Phone A is classified as "Large" while 4.5" Phone B is classified as "Medium"). No one has published a survey that asked users "All else being equal, what size display do you prefer?"

"Record sales" don't necessarily mean Apple has hit the sweet spot, either. There are lots of reasons to choose an iPhone, and on this very forum we've heard from many who say they bought theirs IN SPITE of the screen size, not because of it. Maybe a larger screen will set new, even HIGHER records for sales. Or you could be right, and it may not sell well. We simply don't have good enough information to make meaningful predictions.
You're right we don't. And I'm not arguing that Apple should make 4.7" the "premium" phone. I'm arguing that screen size shouldn't dictate what the best phone is.
post #77 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Bottom line: Apple wants to sell a bunch of $299 contract phones.

How do you do that? Give the bigger phone more features.

iPhone 6 - 5.5 screen, faster A8, sapphire screen - $299
iPhone 6 - 4.7 screen, A8 - $199
iPhone Color - Plastic, 4 inch screen, A7, Touch ID - $99
iPhone 5C - Free
Currently Apple's pricing is based on storage. More storage = more expensive. Sure it's possible they could change that but why does screen size even have to come in to play? Settle on a screen size and have different models. Then people don't have to make compromises. It's all about price, not "I'd really prefer a 4.7" phone but I'd also like the better screen and camera". You want the best features you pay more.

If Apple is going the 5.5" route as well then they should make it a completely new device and have it be separate from the iPhone with unique features that take advantage of the larger screen. And sell it at different times of the year. Right now Apple has nothing to fill calendar Q1 or Q2. A 5.5" device could fill that gap.
post #78 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Currently Apple's pricing is based on storage. More storage = more expensive. Sure it's possible they could change that but why does screen size even have to come in to play? Settle on a screen size and have different models. Then people don't have to make compromises. It's all about price, not "I'd really prefer a 4.7" phone but I'd also like the better screen and camera". You want the best features you pay more.

If Apple is going the 5.5" route as well then they should make it a completely new device and have it be separate from the iPhone with unique features that take advantage of the larger screen. And sell it at different times of the year. Right now Apple has nothing to fill calendar Q1 or Q2. A 5.5" device could fill that gap.

 

Only problem is the 5.5 would miss the holiday season

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #79 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not arguing that Apple should make 4.7" the "premium" phone. I'm arguing that screen size shouldn't dictate what the best phone is.

 

I know, I understand. I'm saying that you may not get the product equity you're hoping for. Apple has demonstrated a willingness to make the artificial distinctions you describe.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #80 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
 
 

My prediction is the 5.5" will come with a rainbow vomiting unicorn.

 

Oh please; as if!

 

Unicorns may bestow rainbows; they're certainly not going to vomit them. Try and keep some semblance of reality.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Analyst: Apple could equip 5.5" 'iPhone 6' with more powerful processor than 4.7" model
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analyst: Apple could equip 5.5" 'iPhone 6' with more powerful processor than 4.7" model