or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple brings iOS 7-style iconography to Apple TV in newest beta

Apple brings iOS 7-style iconography to Apple TV in newest beta - Page 3

post #81 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

That's not really Apple's fault, content-wise. It has everything to do with the agreement between Apple and the content providers. If the providers (big media) doesn't want to offer content outside of the USA then they won't allow it. And the ATV isn't the only STB that is in this boat.

As for App Store..,I hear ya. However if an App Store is in the works, what would you suggest it carry? And how do you do the UI for apps? You can Airplay you iOS device to the ATV and use all the apps you want. I'm getting pretty tired of people arguing for an App Store when they don't really think through what that actually means and how it would be implemented. Do you really want to use your tv like any other iOS device? And how do you control it without and iOS device. And if you have an iOS device you can Airplay, and you prolly won't be using your tv to view he content since you have to look down at your iOS device to use the UI. It really, really complex problem to solve. If SJ says he cracked it, maybe he was on to something, maybe it fizzled out? Maybe Apple is waiting for more integrated and extensive content rights to update the ATV. Who knows...but to many this minor update is just to either piss people off who are waiting for a real update or a way to keep normal people something nice and new to look at.

Personally I think the ATV with all it's billion channels is very long in the tooth now and needs a better way. Just listen to Siracusa's rants on it for details. For me, once the apps start scrolling of f screen, they loose me. I have about 75% of the new channels hidden now because they all take a cable subscription to work, which I cut my cable TV a year ago and exclusively use netflix, hulu+ and iTunes for all my daily content...haven't looked back yet.

I made an argument in a thread for an App Store several months ago. But here it is in a nutshell:
-games made for the ATV which would eliminate any lag via Airplay
-provide an accepted standard. That way- if amazon wants to put prime on- but the standard doesn't allow in-app purchases, then we might have prime in a few months.
-television channels that developed for the standard quicker- Vudu (which understandably, apple wouldn't want- but if it applied to the standard- like on iOS- you could have it), flixster, BBC, the list goes on and on.
-screensaver apps- maybe sports score/news scroller on the bottom while displaying the weather in one corner and your icloud pictures in the other., etc. Just a thought off the top of my head. I'm sure developers would create and engineer some compelling apps if they had a standard in which to comply.

Trust in developers. Some things we have now, we would have never imagined if they weren't given an opportunity to shine. Let them do their thing.
An App Store would also allow us to delete apps instead of simply hiding them. 1smile.gif

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #82 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterStone View Post

With the updated background how do I turn on the parallax effect? /s

Just pick up the AppleTV and shake vigorously for five minutes.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #83 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just pick up the AppleTV and shake vigorously for five minutes.
I thought that was the undo function?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #84 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I thought that was the undo function?

No one knows for sure.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #85 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh yes. Except for the occasional blowhard internet jerk....

Yeah but whatareya gonna do

Things are looking bad

Hey, what ya gonna do?

Poor, poor Joseph

What ya gonna do? 

Things are looking bad

Hey, what ya gonna do?

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple brings iOS 7-style iconography to Apple TV in newest beta