or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report

Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report

post #1 of 173
Apple is reportedly set to hold a "big media event" on Tuesday, Sept. 9, where it's expected the company will reveal its next-generation iPhone, rumored to come in two larger screen sizes and an all-new form factor.

Details of the anticipated media event were first revealed on Tuesday by John Paczkowski of Re/code, who has reliably disseminated such information in the past. He reiterated rumors that the so-called "iPhone 6" will come in screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches, and that they will run next-generation A8 processors.

No rumored release date for the anticipated iPhones was given, but Apple has historically launched new models the next Friday after their public unveiling. If the company holds to that release pattern again this year, its next-generation handsets would become available to own on Friday, Sept. 19.

But recent rumors have suggested that Apple may be facing some struggles in bringing the larger 5.5-inch variant to market. A number of recent reports have claimed that Apple may be forced to push back production of the larger model.

If that's the case, then it's possible that a jumbo-sized iPhone model in the 5.5-inch range may not debut until after the 4.7-inch variant goes on sale. That wouldn't be unprecedented for the company: Just last year, the iPad Air went on sale 10 days before the second-generation iPad mini with Retina display.

Last year, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c both launched on the same day, but both were based on the same design established a year prior by the iPhone 5. This year it's expected that the "iPhone 6" will have an entirely new look, boasting rounded edges along with larger screens.

This year's iPhone launch is expected to be the biggest in the company's history, with reports pegging orders of up to 80 million units through the end of 2014. Hopes for the new iPhone are also high on Wall Street, where investors believe that customers have been clamoring for larger display sizes from Apple.

The "iPhone 6" is likely to be part of a busy fall for the company, which has been particularly quiet thus far through the first seven months of 2014. But executives at Apple have teased that they have a big lineup of new products, and entirely new product categories, coming before the year's end.

In particular, Apple's most anticipated device may be the new "iWatch," which is expected to be a wrist-worn smart accessory that will track and provide users with health and fitness data. It is expected to tie into the new Health application that will be featured in the upcoming iOS 8 mobile operating system.

Apple is also expected to launch revamped iPad models this fall, with both the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display rumored to receive Touch ID fingerprint sensors within their home buttons, much like the iPhone 5s.
post #2 of 173
YAY!
post #3 of 173
4.7" this 5.5" that....where's my 4" iPhone?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #4 of 173
Great news. Seems believable that they pull it a little earlier this year. Before more leaks happen
post #5 of 173
Oh yeah, baby. Do the Funky Chicken.
post #6 of 173
According to the re/code article: Apple declined comment.
post #7 of 173

The source is very reliable in this case.

Adding more to the mountain of evidence that the 5.5 is coming

post #8 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

In stores now. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 173
There's no credible evidence a 5.5" is coming.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

According to the re/code article: Apple declined comment.

They have a lot of practice at that.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 173
Let's understand clearly. If Apple make available 5.5" inch iphone later in October is not becaue of production or any such logistics issues. It is by design because of marketing strategy. So, all morons coming out with production issues is baseless because when apple release final design for the production than it is well done for the final production without hitch. So, if any media tells you other-way, it all BS. Smart people knows.
post #12 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

I wanted to reply with:

"I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Surely you can understand that some people may find a possible 4.7" iPhone (screen size) too large"

But fortunately you added a smiley, which do not come through over the email. Whassup wit dat, Huddler?
post #13 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOLLOLLlllololollloll

post #14 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's no credible evidence a 5.5" is coming.

tons of evidence.

50,000,000 to be close to exact.

I think you know what that number means.

post #15 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

tons of evidence.

Tons of evidence in your fantasy land. 1wink.gif
post #16 of 173
Since Apple releases the iPhone on the Friday following the Public Unveiling that would put the Release date as Friday Sept 12, and not Sept 19 that is in the article.
post #17 of 173
Quote:

tons of evidence.

No one with any high-level knowledge of Apple believes a 5.5" is imminent.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 173
Quote:

where? it's currently available called iPhone 5S

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

post #19 of 173
I love Apple's hardware (current iPhone and iPad owner) but iOS is seriously lacking behind and the company seems unable to fix age old issues, add much requested features and innovate like they used to do. iOS7 was a gimicky step back, unstable and several system apps were gimped by crappy design decisions. Keeping my iPad Air but seriously considering switching to a Android phone like Xperia Z2.
post #20 of 173
Quote:

tons of evidence.

Like power button leak and some analyses from Ming Chi Kuo? lol...dream on.

post #21 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Tons of evidence in your fantasy land. 1wink.gif

So you dont know what the 50,000,000 means?

post #22 of 173
There’s no credible evidence a 5.5" iPhone is coming.

Fixed. I’m totally in favor of a 5.5” iPod touch.

tons of evidence. 50,000,000 to be close to exact.

Fifty million evidence? What’s the exchange rate for an evidence? If you could, in USD and FUD please.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #23 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

I love Apple's hardware (current iPhone and iPad owner) but iOS is seriously lacking behind and the company seems unable to fix age old issues, add much requested features and innovate like they used to do. iOS7 was a gimicky step back, unstable and several system apps were gimped by crappy design decisions. Keeping my iPad Air but seriously considering switching to a Android phone like Xperia Z2.

LOL.. Unstable "several" system apps out of 1.2 million apps...when an iOS with over 92% penetration, Apple can just ignore those the comments above. 

Gimmicky step back like: activation lock? iPhone audio? AirDrop? Control center? Camera burst mode? iTunes Radio? automatic apps update? Multitasking? 

You must be trolling.

Edited by fallenjt - 8/5/14 at 11:02am

post #24 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fifty million evidence? What’s the exchange rate for an evidence? If you could, in USD and FUD please.

its not dollars or any currency.

Its 50,000,000 instances of evidence for a 5.5 phone.

You still don't know what that is?

post #25 of 173
Quote:

No one with any high-level knowledge of Apple believes a 5.5" is imminent.

Anyone with a high-level of knowledge of Apple has no comment so we don't know what they believe.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #26 of 173
Quote:

Its 50,000,000 instances of evidence for a 5.5 phone.

You still don't know what that is?

I guess they're not the only ones. Why don't you just enlighten us.... thanks.

post #27 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

Let's understand clearly. If Apple make available 5.5" inch iphone later in October is not becaue of production or any such logistics issues. It is by design because of marketing strategy. So, all morons coming out with production issues is baseless because when apple release final design for the production than it is well done for the final production without hitch. So, if any media tells you other-way, it all BS. Smart people knows.

Smart man - all these BS of delays from ANALyst is to pump up/short the stock and nothing else.

My wallet is f'ing ready....

post #28 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I guess they're not the only ones. Why don't you just enlighten us.... thanks.

50,000,000 Samdung Note Phones were sold in the past 2 years.

The market for phablets is way too big to ignore.

That is my proof. 

post #29 of 173
Will they come out with a ipod 4.7" as well or will this just be for the Iphone.?
post #30 of 173

50,000,000 Samdung Note Phones were sold in the past 2 years.

The market for phablets is way too big to ignore.

That is my proof. 

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

post #31 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So that Apple won't be able to sell any...or any iPad mini? Whoever comes up with 5.5" iPod at Apple should be fired...lol

post #32 of 173
Quote:

I don't think we should assume that the current form factor will be discontinued, at least not in the near future. If demand for it peters away in favor of a larger iPhone, then that's a decision that can be taken at the time.

post #33 of 173

And come September 12th your 4inch iPhone will be $100 cheaper;-)

post #34 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by .TWITCH. View Post

Will they come out with a ipod 4.7" as well or will this just be for the Iphone.?

I would say yes..eventually...when they want to get rid of apps for 4" harmonization.

post #35 of 173
Yes, the rest of the industry seems to have no problems to produce their 5.5" products, so I think it is safe to say that Apple can and will pull it off just fine.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
post #36 of 173
Quote:

So that's our newly re-designed iPhone with a sapphire screen, available tomorrow....

And thanks for coming.

Wait... don't leave yet.  

There's. One. More. Thing.

And Apple goes on to introduce not one, but two completely revolutionary devices..... (and no iWatch).

------------------

and then I woke up, so I can't say what happens next.

post #37 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

I don't think we should assume that the current form factor will be discontinued, at least not in the near future. If demand for it peters away in favor of a larger iPhone, then that's a decision that can be taken at the time.

I'm thinking the same. I won't see 4" screen going away for at least 2-3 more years. They may just make 5S with color chassis to replace 5C next year.

post #38 of 173
What about iPhone 7?

:-p
post #39 of 173
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post
So that Apple won't be able to sell any...or any iPad mini?

Interesting take on the uselessness of small tablets. I approve.

post #40 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

And Apple goes on to introduce not one, but two completely revolutionary devices..... (and no iWatch).

------------------

and then I woke up, so I can't say what happens next.

You're dreaming of Steve Jobs's style too much. It's his signature keynote presentation and no one else at Apple would want to do that to make the fool of himself. Tim Cook has his own way of presenting keynote by delegating others SVP to present their parts. What you have seen so far under Tim Cooks is the format now, no surprise, no "One More Thing" whatsoever.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report