or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report

Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report - Page 4

post #121 of 173
Originally Posted by malax View Post
What's your point? 

That we don’t have a clue what will be added to the software because of the new hardware.

Originally Posted by Shows-What-Uno View Post

Apple holds back of leading the hardware due to margins

Apple holds back nothing in hardware. The iPhone is always the fastest on the market when released.

I don't even get a 1080p screen in 2014 with Apple iPhone

And if you knew anything about screens, or were actually “up to date on the tech side”, you wouldn’t be complaining about this.

FYI i'm up to date on whats going on... 

Again, no, you’re not.

Originally Posted by Shows-What-Uno View Post
I have many Apple products. 

No one cares. This isn’t an argument.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #122 of 173

True that there haven't been any leaks of components that can be linked to a 5.5" phone and so it's not likely that it will come to pass but that doesn't actual stop me from wanting one. I like iOS and I'll get the next iPhone b/c of that but I do wish there was a 5.5" option. I have a large frame so it would work for me. That said, it's incredible how much of a religion one handed use and small screen size have become around here. Get over yourselves. People have different sized hands and different needs. Apple will release whatever they deem necessary. If they feel like making a phablet would make them enough profit to be worth their while then they will, and not then they will not. That doesn't mean there isn't a market for them. Just means that Apple plays the big numbers game. For the record, the reason Samsung became #2 with smart phones is because they made the larger phones and I know quite a few people who got the Note specifically for the screen (because they don't want to have a phone and a tablet with them at all times). That said, Samsung has had shitty sales as of late b/c they're a shitty company that makes shitty quality phones. That's quality, not screen size. I have purposefully held off from Samsung b/c I like Apple quality, but if they release a 5.5" I'd pay a premium for it without thinking twice and I know I'm far from being the only one. So you morons don't need to police the forums with chests puffed out acting like you know better than everyone else. Some people love iOS but want a phablet-sized phone... so just deal with it. 

post #123 of 173
According to Kara Swisher on Twitter this announcement date isn't a claim/rumor and recode is working on getting the release date.
post #124 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

so you grumble about iOS and decide TouchWiz is your savior?

Good luck with that.

C'mon. It's a textbook concern troll post. "I love Apple but..."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #125 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If the iPhone 6 uses a liquid metal case as some of the leaked photos suggest, perhaps there is no aluminum being polished by Foxconn for Apple, hence no delay.

That's an excellent point.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #126 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

I love Apple's hardware (current iPhone and iPad owner) but iOS is seriously lacking behind and the company seems unable to fix age old issues, add much requested features and innovate like they used to do. iOS7 was a gimicky step back, unstable and several system apps were gimped by crappy design decisions. Keeping my iPad Air but seriously considering switching to a Android phone like Xperia Z2.

Strange that you don't like iOS7 and say it is troublesome, yet I love it on my oldie iPhone4. I missed iOS6, going directly from iOS5 to iOS7. Yes, just occasionally iOS7 is a bit slow, but many other user interface improvements more than make up for that. I'll admit to one problem only; the App Store App is extremely slow starting an App download. I suspect a bug is causing this.

As for Android, ugh I'm too private to use a spyware phone.
post #127 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm interested in hearing about the new display technology in this phone. Since several people here have claimed display tech not being ready is the reason we didn't get a larger screen phone before 2014. I'm going to assume then that the iPhone 6 will have the best display on the market.

Come off it. Apple will use the best display they can get 35 million of per quarter that matches what the processor and battery can handle, and what doesn't drive the developers crazy. Balance, compromises, different "packages of emphasis" (Steve Jobs) for each device.

Other companies have other choices. Samsung owns the most advanced OLED display fabs in the world, unless LG has caught up, and no way is Apple buying into that technology for phones, even if Samsung or LG could supply them, which they couldn't. HTC can offer an LTPS display with a pixel density of 400 plus or whatever, because they will only need a few million of them. And so on.

But by all means, set yourself up for something to whine about later. The honest Apple watcher knows only that the displays will be larger and improved and in good supply. There was not enough LTPS production to supply their needs until this year, that's all we know.
Edited by Flaneur - 8/6/14 at 3:15am
post #128 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's no credible evidence a 5.5" is coming.

No concern here for the 5.x iPhone. My hope is that the 4.7 isn't too clumsy after 3.5 years using my 3.5" iPhone4 .

But I'm concerned enough that I started looking on CL for a top condition Unlocked iPhone5. Very interesting price variations!

post #129 of 173

September used to seem so far away, but just a few more weeks to go. The 4S has been good to me but I'm more than ready to pull the trigger on a new iPhone. The wait is nearly over.

post #130 of 173
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post
September used to seem so far away, but just a few more weeks to go.

I was wondering why I was falling back deeper into despair. Time sure flies when you can’t remember any of it.

post #131 of 173
Guaranteed to kill the iPad mini. Oh well- it happens.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #132 of 173
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Ooh! I’m fine with that. I’d even buy one just to kill it.

So many uses for a remote-ish-not-head-designed-size device. A 5.5” iPod touch could be the control system for an intelligent home’s appliances (and remote for Apple TV).

Not a smart home. An intelligent home. Oh, no; better yet: a wise home. All this “smart [product]” nonsense is really just idiocy. Apple’s implementations of automation and integration are more wise than smart. It’s not about how much they can do, but how they apply what they can do.

post #133 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

Being that Apple already makes a 4" phone, they could very well release a new 4" model alongside the 4.7" and 5.5" without the parts for it seeming extraordinary enough to "break cover" and be leaked.

Excellent point, and that's exactly what I'm hoping for.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #134 of 173
Quote:

Not for me, a 5.5 is far too small for my tablet use, yet a bit too large for a one handed phone.
The iPad mini is the tablet for me, it's on my buy list to replace my POS BB PB. (Sorry BB!)
post #135 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'm not saying that there won't be some OS changes when the new phones are rolled out -- but I'd expect them to be minor or limited to Apple-only apps.

At WWDC 2014, Apple significantly opened up new and previously closed APIs to developers. There are lots of things for developers to exploit and much to keep them busy.

If Apple were to announce new iOS features/APIs at rollout of the new iPhones -- most developers would not have time to take advantage of them.

There are exceptions, of course -- like the 2 game developers who got early info on Metal, and demo'd apps at WWDC.

One good candidate for rollout iOS change would be to HomeKit -- to allow an AppleTV or Mac to be the local controller -- instead of relying on the iPhone. But this could be easily handled under the covers -- or by opening the kimono to a few HomeKit developers under NDA.

IMO, the biggest WWDC announcement was Swift ... then the later IBM partnership using Swift. I think there will be exponential growth in SMB and Enterprise apps -- from Apple/IBM, Existing enterprise app developers, IT, large developers and Indies.

With Storyboards and Swift, we are getting to the point that developing apps for mobile or the desktop is as easy, if not easier, than developing web apps.

Code:
var AAPLsharePrice = 100
let yea = "🎉"

(AAPLsharePrice >= 100 ? println("\(yea) Laissez les bon temps rouler") : println("😧"))

Will give:

🎉 Laissez les bon temps rouler

Swift continues to change so I doubt serious devs are tackling it. Even IBM. Not until the end of beta. It's a myth that it makes programming for the iPhone or Mac much easier given than the real knowledge you need when programming either is the frameworks.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #136 of 173
If they don't make a 4' phone, I'll buy a bigger phone and be sad ^^

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #137 of 173
Quote:

Not really.  The iPad at 7.9 is still MUCH BIGGER than 5.5.

The iPad mini has 30 square inches of screen

A 5.5 phone will have 14.52 square inches of screen

The ipad mini has DOUBLE the screen size.

Either way its good for Apple.  They make very little profit from the iPadMini

Edited by sog35 - 8/6/14 at 6:17am
post #138 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not happening. 

We won't see a 4 inch flagship phone from Apple ever again.

post #139 of 173
Quote:

Quote:

Not happening. 

We won't see a 4 inch flagship phone from Apple ever again.

Can you elaborate on that? Bit difficult to respond with an 'ok, thanks' without you giving any indication as to why. Not asking for proof, obviously, but since it's your opinion I'd like to read why you think this should be taken as truth.
post #140 of 173
Quote:

Can you elaborate on that? Bit difficult to respond with an 'ok, thanks' without you giving any indication as to why. Not asking for proof, obviously, but since it's your opinion I'd like to read why you think this should be taken as truth.

past history with iphones.

once they go bigger they don't go back.

I'd be shocked if they bring an iPhone6 with a 4 inch screen.

Apple is all about product differentiation. 

The top line phones will have a larger screen, metal body, and all the new tech (sapphire)

The mid/low phones will have smaller screen, plastic body

When the iPhone5 was released many opted for the 4S because the product was almost the same except for screen size.  Apple really wants people to buy the top end phone so they will create a large gap between the two.

post #141 of 173
I see gomers with these huge slabs held up against the side of their heads and think the phone should have come with that helmet they shouldn't be allowed out of the house without. Does Apple want all of their customers to look like fucking spazzes? Maybe, but I'm not convinced.
post #142 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Quote:

I'm not saying that there won't be some OS changes when the new phones are rolled out -- but I'd expect them to be minor or limited to Apple-only apps.

At WWDC 2014, Apple significantly opened up new and previously closed APIs to developers. There are lots of things for developers to exploit and much to keep them busy.

If Apple were to announce new iOS features/APIs at rollout of the new iPhones -- most developers would not have time to take advantage of them.

There are exceptions, of course -- like the 2 game developers who got early info on Metal, and demo'd apps at WWDC.

One good candidate for rollout iOS change would be to HomeKit -- to allow an AppleTV or Mac to be the local controller -- instead of relying on the iPhone. But this could be easily handled under the covers -- or by opening the kimono to a few HomeKit developers under NDA.

IMO, the biggest WWDC announcement was Swift ... then the later IBM partnership using Swift. I think there will be exponential growth in SMB and Enterprise apps -- from Apple/IBM, Existing enterprise app developers, IT, large developers and Indies.

With Storyboards and Swift, we are getting to the point that developing apps for mobile or the desktop is as easy, if not easier, than developing web apps.

Code:
var AAPLsharePrice = 100
let yea = "🎉"

(AAPLsharePrice >= 100 ? println("\(yea) Laissez les bon temps rouler") : println("😧"))

Will give:

🎉 Laissez les bon temps rouler

Swift continues to change so I doubt serious devs are tackling it. Even IBM. Not until the end of beta. It's a myth that it makes programming for the iPhone or Mac much easier given than the real knowledge you need when programming either is the frameworks.

Yes, Swift continues to change -- it is evolving, but it is reasonably stable for a beta. I'd say it is no worse than other new frameworks as far as bugs, work-arounds or learning difficulty.

As I see it, the advantages of Swift are (in no particular order):
  • all the code you don't have to write
  • readability and ease of code maintenance
  • interactive development, testing and debugging
  • safe code -- if it compiles it will run
  • speed of execution
  • graceful migration - coexistence with Obj-C within an app

Having worked in IBM Development, I think IBM will be all over Swift -- it is a rare opportunity (for both Apple and IBM) to learn from each other, to define/solidify the language, to add features to satisfy the needs of both of their target customers, exploit a competitive advantage and to enhance the appeal of their product and service offerings.to

One final thought -- the ease of coding debugging interactively in Playgrounds then copy/pasting that code into classes for compilation is almost trivial.

For example here's a modification of my earlier example that runs in a Playground.
Code:
import UIKit

var str = "Hello, playground"

class ViewController: UIViewController {

@IBOutlet var stockPrice : UILabel!  // Add Output field to UIView

override func viewDidLoad() {
        super.viewDidLoad()

let url: NSURL = NSURL(string: "http://localhost/aapl")
        let aaplPrice: Double = (NSString.stringWithContentsOfURL(url,
            encoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding, error:nil)).doubleValue

var label: String = "AAPL Stock price is $\(aaplPrice) "
        if aaplPrice >= 100 {label += "🎉"} else {label += "😧"}

println(label)

//        stockPrice.text = "\(label) "  // Set Output field in UI View

}

override func didReceiveMemoryWarning() {
        super.didReceiveMemoryWarning()
        // Dispose of any resources that can be recreated.
    }
}

let myVC = ViewController()
myVC.viewDidLoad()

As you can see, I included the ViewController code in the Playground. All you have to do to execute the code is to create an instance of the VC, then call the viewDidLoad func.

When debugged, you just copy/paste the whole ViewController Class into the class file for compilation.

Note: as implemented, the commented stockPrice.text field causes an error in the Playground because it references an IBOutlet in the UIView. -- it needs to be uncommented for compilation of the ViewController Class.

If you want to see how the UIView actually looks as the Playground is executing, you can write a little extra code to create a UIView and the various fields. I've done this with TableViews, but it's a little too retro for most needs.

However, at some point I expect Apple will integrate Storyboards and Playgrounds -- so you can interactively design and debug your apps.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #143 of 173
Quote:

Quote:

past history with iphones.

once they go bigger they don't go back.

I'd be shocked if they bring an iPhone6 with a 4 inch screen.

Apple is all about product differentiation. 
The top line phones will have a larger screen, metal body, and all the new tech (sapphire)
The mid/low phones will have smaller screen, plastic body

When the iPhone5 was released many opted for the 4S because the product was almost the same except for screen size.  Apple really wants people to buy the top end phone so they will create a large gap between the two.

Ah, ok. Well, if they release a 4.7" screen iPhone that is has a larger FF than the current model I won't be buying it. It's already large enough, some of my pants 'have a problem with it' meaning the phone 'drops landscape' in my pocket and it 'a bit difficult to take out'. Yes, in diacritical mark, because it obviously ISN'T A BIG problem, but still, not preferring a larger phone than it already is.
post #144 of 173
Quote:

Yes, Swift continues to change -- it is evolving, but it is reasonably stable for a beta. I'd say it is no worse than other new frameworks as far as bugs, work-arounds or learning difficulty.

As I see it, the advantages of Swift are (in no particular order):
  • all the code you don't have to write
  • readability and ease of code maintenance
  • interactive development, testing and debugging
  • safe code -- if it compiles it will run
  • speed of execution
  • graceful migration - coexistence with Obj-C within an app

Having worked in IBM Development, I think IBM will be all over Swift -- it is a rare opportunity (for both Apple and IBM) to learn from each other, to define/solidify the language, to add features to satisfy the needs of both of their target customers, exploit a competitive advantage and to enhance the appeal of their product and service offerings.to

One final thought -- the ease of coding debugging interactively in Playgrounds then copy/pasting that code into classes for compilation is almost trivial.

For example here's a modification of my earlier example that runs in a Playground.
Code:
import UIKit

var str = "Hello, playground"

class ViewController: UIViewController {

@IBOutlet var stockPrice : UILabel!  // Add Output field to UIView

override func viewDidLoad() {
        super.viewDidLoad()

let url: NSURL = NSURL(string: "http://localhost/aapl")
        let aaplPrice: Double = (NSString.stringWithContentsOfURL(url,
            encoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding, error:nil)).doubleValue

var label: String = "AAPL Stock price is $\(aaplPrice) "
        if aaplPrice >= 100 {label += "🎉"} else {label += "😧"}

println(label)

//        stockPrice.text = "\(label) "  // Set Output field in UI View

}

override func didReceiveMemoryWarning() {
        super.didReceiveMemoryWarning()
        // Dispose of any resources that can be recreated.
    }
}

let myVC = ViewController()
myVC.viewDidLoad()

As you can see, I included the ViewController code in the Playground. All you have to do to execute the code is to create an instance of the VC, then call the viewDidLoad func.

When debugged, you just copy/paste the whole ViewController Class into the class file for compilation.

Note: as implemented, the commented stockPrice.text field causes an error in the Playground because it references an IBOutlet in the UIView. -- it needs to be uncommented for compilation of the ViewController Class.

If you want to see how the UIView actually looks as the Playground is executing, you can write a little extra code to create a UIView and the various fields. I've done this with TableViews, but it's a little too retro for most needs.

However, at some point I expect Apple will integrate Storyboards and Playgrounds -- so you can interactively design and debug your apps.

Nothing in that code which couldn't be done in objective c of course, albeit without the compile error. Most of the work is the frameworks. At the moment swift is unstable in its design, it's philosophy of design in many ways, the debugger, playgrounds, interaction with objective C, the compiler and debugger. Which is a lot.

Is it easier to understand than objective C? Sometimes. Sometimes not. See generics.

They have in many cases - and this is a design philosophy - sacrificed code readability on the alter of code compactness. Which is the opposite of objective C. We'll see. I have plans to write some swift code in my large mac project targeting Yosemite. . I've tried already but code which worked in the playground failed with a compiler exception in the real build. That's not good.

It does reduce potential crashes caused by nil pointers passed into some framework API. Performance is not really obvious.
post #145 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

September used to seem so far away, but just a few more weeks to go. The 4S has been good to me but I'm more than ready to pull the trigger on a new iPhone. The wait is nearly over.

I am going to give myself a 4 week Appleinsider sabbatical because I want to be awed again.

Last year was a bit miserable with all the 5C leaks. There were no surprises left.

This year I am pleasantly surprised not having seen a finished (part of the) iPhone. We're completely clueless about the design, which is great.

My money is on an unapologetic plastic 3.5" iPhone mini. Mint green would be totally awesome! (One can Dream). I imagine the 5.5" folks going mental :D if the iPhone mini were to be "the one more thing".

So, that's it folks!

I see you in about a month!

post #146 of 173
September 9th is a questionable date for such an event considering that the Back To School promotion runs through September 9th - unless Apple intends to announce things but not make them available on launch day, which would disappoint and detract from the presentation.
post #147 of 173

That's wonderful! Let's hope for some good news after Sep. 9 event. Also waiting to see new gadgets from Apple.

post #148 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I see gomers with these huge slabs held up against the side of their heads and think the phone should have come with that helmet they shouldn't be allowed out of the house without. Does Apple want all of their customers to look like fucking spazzes? Maybe, but I'm not convinced.

Ah, you must be one of those people who insist on trying a new phone on in front of a mirror to see how it looks on you.  No, nothing superficial and shallow about that. *snicker*

post #149 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Nothing in that code which couldn't be done in objective c of course, albeit without the compile error. Most of the work is the frameworks. At the moment swift is unstable in its design, it's philosophy of design in many ways, the debugger, playgrounds, interaction with objective C, the compiler and debugger. Which is a lot.

I wasn't trying to show things that couldn't be done in Obbj-C or vise versa. Rather, I was trying to illustrate the workflow going from interactive debugging to a compiled app. I could have eliminated the compiler error, but I thought it better to be honest and note that you, likely, will have slightly different versions of code in the Playgrounds and in the compiled classes (at least for now).

Yes, most of the work is in the frameworks -- and much of the problems is unlearning the Obj-C way and relearning the Swift way ... It's more than different syntax, its a different approach to the way you attack a task.

I will concede that Swift is somewhat unstable in design -- I think that Apple enjoys (and exploits) the luxury of not having a Swift install base (it's only been available for a little over a month) ... They don't need to deprecate things to protect existing developer code -- They just change things and the devs need to go with the flow.

I expect this evolution/instability to continue until the GM (a week before the iPhone availability) when they will accept Swift apps for the App store.

Quote:
Is it easier to understand than objective C? Sometimes. Sometimes not. See generics.

They have in many cases - and this is a design philosophy - sacrificed code readability on the alter of code compactness. Which is the opposite of objective C. We'll see. I have plans to write some swift code in my large mac project targeting Yosemite. . I've tried already but code which worked in the playground failed with a compiler exception in the real build. That's not good.

It does reduce potential crashes caused by nil pointers passed into some framework API. Performance is not really obvious.

I, too ran into several cases where code that worked in Playground (ha, almost typed Praygrounds) failed to compile. Before I could submit a bug, beta 5 eliminated the problem.

I have been doing some performance comparisons with > 10K packets coming down the line from a web site/service.

I don't think that Apple has rewritten the JSON serialization/deserialization routines to exploit Swift, yet -- so I don't expect any improvements here -- yet!

But I've been testing an alternative to JSON, XML, etc. -- all that verbose crap. I've been timing building arrays and dictionaries using String, Any and AnyObject. Beta 5 Swift is 1 - 2 orders of magnitude faster in some cases.

This performance should really appeal to IT and IBM who need to shlep around big data.

Here's a post I made to another thread:

Quote:

Whoa!

I've been playing with Beta 5 Swift.

Some bugs between Swift compiled code and Playgrounds have been fixed.

But the greatest thing I noticed is more than an order of magnitude performance improvement to create a large array of AnyObject:

On the prior release, the time to create theArrayAnyObject was ~ 0.021 sec (similar to both other arrays.
.....With this release, the time to create theArrayAnyObject was    0.000947952270507812 sec

This totally aces JSON or XML deserialization ...

Look out big data, here we come !!!
Code:
countElements(theSource): 7122

timeBegin: 428870004.437607
timeEnd: 428870004.459515
elapsed time: 0.0219079852104187
Total creationTime: theArrayString 0.0213939547538757 sec for 1787 entries

timeBegin: 428870004.463015
timeEnd: 428870004.464475
elapsed time: 0.00145995616912842
Total creationTime: theArrayAnyObject 0.000947952270507812 sec for 1787 entries

timeBegin: 428870004.46858
timeEnd: 428870004.496807
elapsed time: 0.0282269716262817
Total creationTime: theArrayAny 0.0276419520378113 sec for 1787 entries

post #150 of 173
Why did Apple cancel the expo in Paris? Kind of sucks for us Europeans not to have a venue of our own. Apple could at least put it in Ireland.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #151 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why did Apple cancel the expo in Paris? Kind of sucks for us Europeans not to have a venue of our own. Apple could at least put it in Ireland.

What expo? What's it all about? Fill us in.

post #152 of 173
Quote:

Ah, ok. Well, if they release a 4.7" screen iPhone that is has a larger FF than the current model I won't be buying it. It's already large enough, some of my pants 'have a problem with it' meaning the phone 'drops landscape' in my pocket and it 'a bit difficult to take out'. Yes, in diacritical mark, because it obviously ISN'T A BIG problem, but still, not preferring a larger phone than it already is.

I'm sure Apple will continue on with the 4" at least with the plastic version. I wouldn't mind seeing the iPhone go to 16:9, the could fit a 4.5" screen without going any bigger, 4:3 isn't really all that benificial in a phone anyway. I understand the iPad using 4:3 and actually really like the similar aspect ration in the Surface as well but in a phone I don't see much of a difference.
post #153 of 173
I saw this today on businessweek Quote "Apple (AAPL) has scheduled a press event for Sept. 9, and a source tells Bloomberg News that this will be the occasion for the release of the next generation of iPhones. "

I mean have they now, where are the cryptic invitations?
post #154 of 173
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure Apple will continue on with the 4" at least with the plastic version. I wouldn't mind seeing the iPhone go to 16:9, the could fit a 4.5" screen without going any bigger, 4:3 isn't really all that benificial in a phone anyway. I understand the iPad using 4:3 and actually really like the similar aspect ration in the Surface as well but in a phone I don't see much of a difference.

The iPhone has never been 4:3. Originally it was 3:2; it went to 16:9 with the iPhone 5. This is a horrendous aspect ratio for anything but a TV—it's much too narrow in portrait.
post #155 of 173
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I guess they're not the only ones. Why don't you just enlighten us.... thanks.

50,000,000 Samdung Note Phones were sold in the past 2 years.

The market for phablets is way too big to ignore.

That is my proof. 

Nope. They are people who are too poor to afford an iPad, so they get a big phone as a compromise instead.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #156 of 173
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
fortunately most people have 2 hands.

Which, as we know, are available at ALL times, and for ALL uses, to manage your cell phone, regardless of the situation in which you want to use it¡

Just let him be; he'll never grasp the issue at hand.

Yep; he just has no grip on the situation, unlike you, who has a handle on things.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #157 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Quote:

Quote:

The iPhone has never been 4:3. Originally it was 3:2; it went to 16:9 with the iPhone 5. This is a horrendous aspect ratio for anything but a TV—it's much too narrow in portrait.

That's true. And it sucked. The new 16:9 also sucks, when taking a photo. It's the worst camera one can have since the sensor is 4:3 making a composition very difficult. But I don't see them going to 4:3 for their screen, and making a sensor 16:9 is a big no no. Still, it is the camera that's always with me, so I just need to relax, zoom out and crop afterwards. Which sucks; a photo out to be taken as-is, not altered after the fact.
post #158 of 173
Quote:

That's true. And it sucked. The new 16:9 also sucks, when taking a photo. It's the worst camera one can have since the sensor is 4:3 making a composition very difficult. But I don't see them going to 4:3 for their screen, and making a sensor 16:9 is a big no no. Still, it is the camera that's always with me, so I just need to relax, zoom out and crop afterwards. Which sucks; a photo out to be taken as-is, not altered after the fact.

Are all camera sensors still 60% as high as they are wide—i.e., 1 2/3:1? That's how they always used to be, even though the pictures from most cameras were 4:3. That means that 25% of the pixels on the sensor went unused—but they were included in the specs: so the actual value was 80% of the rated value.

This may have changed in recent years, I don't know.
post #159 of 173
The new 16:9 also sucks, when taking a photo.

iOS 8 should prevent users from recording video in portrait mode. 

post #160 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The new 16:9 also sucks, when taking a photo.

iOS 8 should prevent users from recording video in portrait mode. 

I'd love some trickster to hack into YouTube and turn every video into Portrait Mode for a day. Imagine the comments...

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report