or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report - Page 5

post #161 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's no credible evidence a 5.5" is coming.

Most Apple rumors are credible these days because Apple disseminates its own rumors. ;)

post #162 of 173
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'd love some trickster to hack into YouTube and turn every video into Portrait Mode for a day. Imagine the comments...


Didn’t Google flip YouTube upside down for April Fool’s Day once?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #163 of 173

ok, I think his reasoning is BS but so is yours. How poor can they be if they're buying a Galaxy Note? For goodness sake the damned things may be Samsung crap but they are far from free! The people who are too poor to buy iPads buy crappy android tablets. The people who buy a Note are people who just want one device and aren't as sensitive to one handed use or the "oh my, I just look silly with something that big next to my head" argument. The 5.5" form factor is for a niche market. It doesn't make sense for Apple to go after it if they stick with a single form factor as they've done in the past but if they diversify their iPhone lineup the way they did with their other product lines then it becomes a real option, regardless of what the "I pray to the ghost of Steve Jobs every night" purists say. With the smartphone market maturing this maybe the time that Apple decide to diversity to keep their growth going... or not. Either way you can be sure they'll make a ton of money. 

post #164 of 173
Originally Posted by msalganik View Post
How poor can they be if they're buying a Galaxy Note? For goodness sake the damned things may be Samsung crap but they are far from free!


Because they’re rarely, if ever, sold at full price.

 
The people who buy a Note are people who just want one device and aren't as sensitive to one handed use or the "oh my, I just look silly with something that big next to my head" argument.

 

Gump was a big celebrity,

He told JFK that he really had to pee,

He never feels too dumb because,

His mom always told him, “Stupid is as stupid does.

 
With the smartphone market maturing this maybe the time that Apple decide to diversity to keep their growth going... or not. Either way you can be sure they'll make a ton of money. 

 

It’s no fun when you reduce the crux of the argument to unarguable obviousness. :lol:

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #165 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

The iPhone has never been 4:3. Originally it was 3:2; it went to 16:9 with the iPhone 5. This is a horrendous aspect ratio for anything but a TV—it's much too narrow in portrait.

Oh, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to the iPhone. Thanks for sorting me out, so you don't like 16:9 on the iPhone 5, why, looks the same as the iPhone 4s to me. Is it so bad that you'll stop buying iPhones?
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #166 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Nope. They are people who are too poor to afford an iPad, so they get a big phone as a compromise instead.

Good reason, why buy both when you compromise with one. I had a Note 2, I liked surfing and watching movies on it. I see a lot of women with larger phones, funny enough, more so then men actually. Are we subconsciously saying something, hhhmmmmm. My sister has a Nokia 1520, now that is a friggen nutty big phone, 6".😲
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #167 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Are all camera sensors still 60% as high as they are wide—i.e., 1 2/3:1? That's how they always used to be, even though the pictures from most cameras were 4:3. That means that 25% of the pixels on the sensor went unused—but they were included in the specs: so the actual value was 80% of the rated value.

This may have changed in recent years, I don't know.

Not exactly, as I understand it. The surrounding pixels get used for demosaicing, to determine key (black) and other reasons for not including them in the final output:

http://www.dpreview.com/glossary/camera-system/effective-pixels

No idea on the percentage though. http://www.123di.com is a good site for this kind of stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iOS 8 should prevent users from recording video in portrait mode. 

That would be a cool idea. Or at least, a warning; if a person is only going to watch that portrait video on their iPhone they might prefer that orientation, but streaming that portrait video to the big screen in the living is cringeworthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'd love some trickster to hack into YouTube and turn every video into Portrait Mode for a day. Imagine the comments...

There's already enough criticism on the YT comments:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google#YouTube_user_comments
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #168 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iOS 8 should prevent users from recording video in portrait mode. 

How else are we supposed to take those candid shots of people going to the bathroom, sometimes you just don't think Tallest.😆
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #169 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iOS 8 should prevent users from recording video in portrait mode. 

How else are we supposed to take those candid shots of people going to the bathroom, sometimes you just don't think Tallest.😆

Everything that can be seen in portrait can be seen in landscape with different framing. See bathroom scene here from Eyes Wide Shut filmed in widescreen (NSFW):

http://yardsofgrapevine.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/eyes-wide-shut-toilet.jpg

Portrait video works for Facetime because faces are taller than wide but that's the front camera. Everything shot on the rear camera can default to landscape with an option to force it portrait. Not only landscape but default to always vertical.



The results speak for themselves. Apple could do that at the sensor level. Perfectly square sensor have a circular crop and the widescreen frame just rotates round inside it. Add in HDR video and handheld smartphone footage will easily rival any handycam without using special stabilizing equipment.
post #170 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The results speak for themselves. Apple could do that at the sensor level. Perfectly square sensor have a circular crop and the widescreen frame just rotates round inside it. Add in HDR video and handheld smartphone footage will easily rival any handycam without using special stabilizing equipment.

That is one heck of a clever thing there Marvin.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #171 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iOS 8 should prevent users from recording video in portrait mode. 

How else are we supposed to take those candid shots of people going to the bathroom, sometimes you just don't think Tallest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Everything that can be seen in portrait can be seen in landscape with different framing. See bathroom scene here from Eyes Wide Shut filmed in widescreen (NSFW):

http://yardsofgrapevine.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/eyes-wide-shut-toilet.jpg

Portrait video works for Facetime because faces are taller than wide but that's the front camera. Everything shot on the rear camera can default to landscape with an option to force it portrait. Not only landscape but default to always vertical.



The results speak for themselves. Apple could do that at the sensor level. Perfectly square sensor have a circular crop and the widescreen frame just rotates round inside it. Add in HDR video and handheld smartphone footage will easily rival any handycam without using special stabilizing equipment.

I know I was just being silly, I'm with you and Tallest on this, I hate portrait shots too.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #172 of 173
If I'm not mistaken Apple said ios8 was coming this fall, their website says the same thing. Google the first day of fall and that falls on September 23. WHEN IN THE WORLD has Apple released iOS sooner than we have expected? Normally when they say coming this fall they mean like the last day of fall. Come on, really ios8 and new iphone 6 ahead of schedule?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
post #173 of 173
Originally Posted by cleger View Post
If I'm not mistaken Apple said ios8 was coming this fall, their website says the same thing. Google the first day of fall and that falls on September 23. 


So the iPhone announced on the 9th and released on the 19th. Big deal. iOS 8 for the rest of the planet on the 26th.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold 'iPhone 6' media event on Sept. 9 - report