or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New photos of Apple Campus 2 show concrete foundation work, rebar installations

New photos of Apple Campus 2 show concrete foundation work, rebar installations

post #1 of 55
Three new aerial photos of Apple's Campus 2 construction site show rapid progress being made on the main circular building's foundation, including rebar work for below grade retaining walls and the addition of interior "tunnels."

Source: Ron Cervi via Twitter

The images, shared on Twitter by KCBS traffic reporter Ron Cervi, come nearly three weeks after the last batch of photos showed initial progress on the "spaceship's" substructure.

As seen above, it appears preparations are being made to pour the concrete foundation that will serve as a base for the three-story building. Of note is rebar work being done to retaining walls ringing the build's perimeter, which will likely be paired with a comprehensive drainage system to avoid water ingress and lower level flooding.

Cervi's flyover also reveals crews have been digging out troughs in the central courtyard area, the purpose of which is not yet known. The "tunnels" are accompanied by what looks to be pipes, concrete stanchions and metalwork to be used as part of the build's substructure.

Apple won final approval for its Campus 2 headquarters from the Cupertino City Council last November after late cofounder Steve Jobs presented original architectural plans in 2011.

In July, a full-scale segment of the main structure's glass and metal facade was constructed in Germany for materials demonstration and testing. Included in the mockup was a distinctive eave feature with integrated air vent that will cycle fresh air throughout the building, illustrating just one of many novel ideas applied to Campus 2's design.

Construction of the large main office building is slated for completion by 2016, though it is unclear if other structures like an above-ground parking lot, auxiliary office space and maintenance buildings will be done in the same time frame.
post #2 of 55
Any savvy readers want to annotate these images to point out different features?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 55
Can we please stop calling it a "spaceship"? If a metaphorical name is required, how about "ring" (Or, maybe iWatch campus?)
post #4 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Can we please stop calling it a "spaceship"? If a metaphorical name is required, how about "ring" (Or, maybe iWatch campus?)

How about arc reactor or super collider or space arc collider?

post #5 of 55
You can see it from space! Should have modified the circle into the shape of the Apple logo.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #6 of 55
How about circus tent?
post #7 of 55

Ron needs a better camera

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

You can see it from space! Should have modified the circle into the shape of the Apple logo.

To me that would be too kitsch and tacky. I don't think it would stand the test of time if they did that.

post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

That's a cute idea!  But companies do change their logos from time to time, so it would be risky.  Not to mention limiting the re-sale value of the property, when Apple decides to relocate headquarters completely to Ireland.  Or when they need to downsize (they are doomed, after all).

post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Any savvy readers want to annotate these images to point out different features?

A Different Feature...

Apple won approval November 2013 and slated for completion by 2016.

Locally where I live, we have had an intersection being moved a little from where it is and expanded regarding lanes, started in 2009 with funds received from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.  They still aren't done!  Talk about your job security!!!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #11 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Just so you know, when Steve Jobs spoke in front of the Cupertino City Council in June 2011, he *himself* said, in describing the building, "It's a little like a spaceship landed".  You can hear him say so at the 5:00 mark in this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtuz5OmOh_M

post #12 of 55

The tunnel in the courtyard will travel into the underground parking structure, likely for maintenance & facilities access.

post #13 of 55
Wow. Rebar. I'm so excited I can barely stand it.

Maybe tomorrow a juicy inside story about Apple's lawn care service?
post #14 of 55
they're building a geofront, they'll never stop digging!
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #15 of 55
Quote:

Yeah, okay, the white thing near the center of the ring is a crane...
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #16 of 55
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Yeah, okay, the white thing near the center of the ring is a crane...

And that brown stuff is dirt...

1biggrin.gif
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post

How about circus tent?

That's the nickname for the Denver International Airport

post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And that brown stuff is dirt...

1biggrin.gif

And there appears to be a yellow water truck wetting the dirt so it doesn't all blow away :)

post #19 of 55

I hope they have set up a high res, time-lapse camera to capture all of this activity.

post #20 of 55

When the thing is finally finished and Apple moves in, they’ll obviously dedicate a portion of their first keynote in the new building to the construction of Infinite Loop. And, of course, that will include one of those time lapse montages of construction images.

But we’ll be able to one-up them, as AI will be able to have a time-lapse montage of articles about the construction!

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #21 of 55

Always love seeing these. Like looking into a demitasse of a perfectly pulled espresso.

edit: (well maybe some of the slightly earlier photos)

edit 2: Does this comment sound like a pretentious hipster douchebag? That's Me!  8-)

Edited by BobSchlob - 8/5/14 at 5:04pm
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Wow. Rebar. I'm so excited I can barely stand it.

Maybe tomorrow a juicy inside story about Apple's lawn care service?

Actually I'd rather watch paint dry /sarcasm
post #23 of 55

Exciting. A circle of dirt!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 55
I wish they would do a timelapse and show it off in 2015
post #25 of 55

I haven't seen this much excitement about a construction project since those rapid fire photos of a  Taco Bell being demolished and replaced with a Krispy Kreme!

Wait a minute, Apple HQ2 is the same shape as a sweet, warm Krispy Kreme glazed donut...coincidence?

theFly

I regurgitate sarcasm

theFly

I regurgitate sarcasm

post #26 of 55
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post

Wait a minute, Apple HQ2 is the same shape as a sweet, warm Krispy Kreme glazed donut...coincidence?

Custom Krisp iKreme lineup at the cafeteria.

post #27 of 55

post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When the thing is finally finished and Apple moves in, they’ll obviously dedicate a portion of their first keynote in the new building to the construction of Infinite Loop. And, of course, that will include one of those time lapse montages of construction images.

But we’ll be able to one-up them, as AI will be able to have a time-lapse montage of articles about the construction!

Just wait until we see the 10,000 word expose on the window washing service by DED.... It'll blow minds.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 55
The more interesting the building, the more interesting the construction details. Shouldn't have to be said.
post #30 of 55
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Just wait until we see the 10,000 word expose on the window washing service by DED.... It'll blow minds.

Apple will just build a 10 foot tall robotic sponge-n-squeegee apparatus that automatically drives itself around the entire building, washing an entire floor in one swoop.

Heck, if it was a square building, whatever they come up for window washing alone would have made them trillions and revolutionized said cleaning the world over. Alas.

post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple will just build a 10 foot tall robotic sponge-n-squeegee apparatus that automatically drives itself around the entire building, washing an entire floor in one swoop.

Heck, if it was a square building, whatever they come up for window washing alone would have made them trillions and revolutionized said cleaning the world over. Alas.

Like a huge 3-D printer, but with a massive squeegee, Windex bottle and 12 ton newspaper to wipe it all off. When it's finished it holds out a gigantic robotic hand and says, "God bless you".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #32 of 55
Quote:

Like a huge 3-D printer, but with a massive squeegee, Windex bottle and 12 ton newspaper to wipe it all off. When it's finished it holds out a gigantic robotic hand and says, "God bless you".

You still need a way to keep birds from flying into it. Apple has oleophobic coatings on their iDevice displays, perhaps they can make an ornithophobic coating for their windows.

(I should be slapped for that one)

post #33 of 55

I can provide some insight to these photos. I do not have any official knowledge of the project, but I did create a 3D model in Sketch-Up. I'll have to make some updates since it was posted several months ago. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ua52b6bb5-b85d-42c7-bd93-2bd067d49029

First the building is Seven stories tall from the foundation. 2 basement + 4 Office floors + 1 mechanical space.

All that Apple has done so far in the main ring is to excavate the sub-basement. The whole building is going to sit a base isolation dampeners.

No concrete has been poured for the main building, from what I can see in these images. No traffic tunnels have yet been yet either.

The rectangular excavation in the center in not shown on any public plans.

Many steel rebar cages need to be fabricated and then lifted into place. I suspect that is what the square tile patterns are for.

In the main image the red objects appear to be derrick crane parts that need to be assembled.

Any questions?

post #34 of 55
Quote:

How about arc reactor or super collider or space arc collider?

Reality Distortion Field emitter.

post #35 of 55

I had to replace the model with a new version and it can be found here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ua52b6bb5-b85d-42c7-bd93-2bd067d49029

This model was a lot of fun to build.

post #36 of 55

This guy needs to take better pictures.. or at least post the native resolution ones.

post #37 of 55
it's really a huge iWatch for mother earth.
post #38 of 55
Quote:

There have been plenty of buildings built, including the Javits Convention Center in NYC, that did not include the concept of cleaning windows into the original design.    I wonder if the designers of this building have thought of it.   That's a lot of glass to clean, but it's going to look pretty bad if they don't keep it clean. 

post #39 of 55

post #40 of 55
Originally Posted by Larz2112 View Post

It’s not like the Republic and the Confederacy shared any species’ ship designs. They didn’t really need to use OCEANS of paint to delineate their colors.

At least we know that there’s job security in the Star Wars universe. The same guy that put direct access to the main reactor of Trade Federation ships in the hangar was apparently responsible for the duct work and ventilation shafts of the Death Stars.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New photos of Apple Campus 2 show concrete foundation work, rebar installations