or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Samsung agree to settle all non-US litigation

Apple and Samsung agree to settle all non-US litigation

post #1 of 65
In a joint statement issued on Tuesday, Apple and Samsung said they have dropped all ongoing patent litigation outside of the U.S., a move that could save both companies millions of dollars in legal fees from protracted court proceedings.

Galaxy

The release, obtained by various press outlets and subsequently reported by the Financial Times, notes Apple and Samsung have agreed to a truce that applies to cases in Australia, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, South Korea and the UK.

From the statement:

Apple and Samsung have agreed to drop all litigation between the two companies outside the United States.

This agreement does not involve any licensing arrangements, and the companies are continuing to pursue the existing cases in US courts.

As noted, licensing agreements concerning infringed and accused-infringed intellectual property are not included in the ceasefire. Without such deals in place, there is nothing standing in the way of either company lodging lawsuits in new venues, though the undisclosed deal may contain clauses that restrict such behavior.

By dissolving all international cases, Apple and Samsung will likely focus their efforts on two California court trials, both of which are now in the appeals phase. Apple was handed a pair of victories in its Apple v. Samsung court actions, with the first jury deciding on a verdict ultimately worth $120 million for infringing Apple's patents.

The most recent development in California came last week when Apple dropped a cross-appeal that sought a permanent injunction against Samsung products found to be in infringement of certain IP.

The companies' epic legal struggle began in April 2011, when Apple sued Samsung for copying the look and feel of its iPhone and iPad devices with multiple products including those from the flagship Galaxy lineup. From there, the patent war quickly spread beyond U.S. borders to include suits and countersuits filed in ten countries spanning across four continents.

Today's news smacks of another recent high-profile peace treaty in which Apple and Google's Motorola agreed to drop ongoing lawsuits related to smartphone technology, vowing to work together on patent reform.
post #2 of 65
"Woah"
post #3 of 65
Wow, unbelievable.
Samsung probably refuses to pay for the cases that they lost in the US.
post #4 of 65
Good kids. Gold star for the day.
post #5 of 65

Screw this nonsense.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #6 of 65

Great news. Maybe they can go back to being partners instead of enemies. The writing was on the wall. Outside the US basically the court cases were going nowhere for Apple or Samsung. Even here, courts seem reluctant to issue product bans or force anything more than modest royalties and settlements. Also, the past year has shown the limits of Samsung's ability to grow its profits at Apple's expense. They have reported several disappointing quarters in a row while Apple has soared.

post #7 of 65
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Great news. Maybe they can go back to being partners instead of enemies. [Samsung has] reported several disappointing quarters in a row while Apple has soared.

And so why should Apple partner with them to help them in any capacity?

post #8 of 65

Here comes the longest sentence I may ever have written...

The battle has shifted away from look and feel toward capabilities and Apple has been showing that it has created a wide lead in that realm with true 64 bit processing, Touch ID security and other security capabilities, tight integration across the mobile and laptop/desktop ecosystem, CarPlay, HomeKit, HealthKit, Metal, first priority among developers when creating new apps, build quality, style, a global high-end retail presence, key partnerships, on boarding of new management and creative talent, secret projects in the works we've yet to glimpse, potential for iPayments, indoor mapping, a location-aware services and promotion/coupon network for Apple's advertising partners, an up and coming streaming radio service and associated talent to augment iTunes Radio, Beats headphones, earbuds, speakers and audio systems, iWatch, a large screen iPhone or two to take away the Android camp's only remaining advantage, updated iPads with TouchId, an eventual updated AppleTV with 4K and enhanced gaming capabilities and growing live content streaming options, and a critical mass of loyal customers eagerly awaiting all of this and whatever Apple comes up with next. 

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
post #9 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwes View Post

"Woah"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dCopAZaq8

post #10 of 65
These are only cases outside the US. I believe this is because the rest of the world is relatively lax on protections for IP (the United States is one of few countries that have strong property protection laws...property protection is integral to our Constitution) and Apple taking Samsung to court would be a waste of time.

Also, I think the new iPhone 6 is going to be a blockbuster that will be difficult, if not impossible, for Samsung to reproduce due to use of advanced materials processes by Apple. Comments by Cook and Cue lead me to believe we're going to see some eye popping stuff soon.

Here's the Verge's take on it: http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/5/5973485/samsung-and-apple-dropping-legal-disputes-outside-the-us

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dCopAZaq8

@LighteningKid Clutch! lol

@RadarTheKat I think you're right. It'll let them focus on what they do best, and I think this is Apple betting on what they do best. Time will tell.

post #12 of 65

My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #13 of 65
Seriously? Apple is no longer a "Jobs" company. I would have preferred that Cook kept pushing and ensuring that the innovation is protected in the right way. Just my 2 cents!
post #14 of 65

I think it was already mentioned earlier - In other part of the world the enforcement of any outcome would have been difficult. I think it is smart move for both side. The biggest losers in this are those lawyers!

Though, I am a tad bit disappointed! It does sort of gives a wrong message - People can steal your innovation and you can get away with it! It also allow Xiaomi to go ahead and blatantly make copies of all Apple products.

post #15 of 65
Quote:

Great news. Maybe they can go back to being partners instead of enemies.
I sincerely hope not, because I do not buy any more products that are Scamsung made, and I hope Apple continues along the present path of diversifying it's supply chain and steering as far away from Scamsung as possible, treating them as a last resort.
post #16 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I think it was already mentioned earlier - In other part of the world the enforcement of any outcome would have been difficult. I think it is smart move for both side. The biggest losers in this are those lawyers!

Though, I am a tad bit disappointed! It does sort of gives a wrong message - People can steal your innovation and you can get away with it! It also allow Xiaomi to go ahead and blatantly make copies of all Apple products.

Xiaomi is taking it past the products - behavior like theirs, it'll be interesting to see how they do outside of China. It will also be interesting to see, *if* Apple were to kill it (implementation/rollout/adoption) with mobile payments and/or Health(Kit)/HomeKit/Car Play, like they basally did with Touch ID or the mobile 64bit ARM rollout, how the others will 'keep up' when they have to rely on someone else for the software that underpins it all. And back to something everyone knows; vertical integration like Apple is, is sweet and vertical integration like Apple is, isn't easy.

post #17 of 65
👍 Tim Cook. Can't wait until the US lawsuits are done and dusted too.

Btw, one of the reasons software designer Bas Ording left Apple was because of the patent lawsuits. Look him up - his name is on some of Apple's most important patents, like the "rubber banding" patent.

http://www.osnews.com/story/27806/Designer_of_key_iOS_features_left_Apple_because_of_patent_suits
Quote:
"Because my name is listed on patents, I increasingly had to appear in court cases versus HTC and Samsung," he said, "That started to annoy me. I spent more time in court than designing. Aside from that, I missed the interaction with Steve Jobs. We discussed matters every fourteen days."
post #18 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

These are only cases outside the US. I believe this is because the rest of the world is relatively lax on protections for IP (the United States is one of few countries that have strong property protection laws...property protection is integral to our Constitution) and Apple taking Samsung to court would be a waste of time.

Also, I think the new iPhone 6 is going to be a blockbuster that will be difficult, if not impossible, for Samsung to reproduce due to use of advanced materials processes by Apple. Comments by Cook and Cue lead me to believe we're going to see some eye popping stuff soon.

Here's the Verge's take on it: http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/5/5973485/samsung-and-apple-dropping-legal-disputes-outside-the-us
Don't forget Ive's comment to the NY Times:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/jonathan-ive-on-apples-design-process-and-product-philosophy/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
Quote:
I would love to talk about future stuff – they’re materials we haven’t worked in before. I’ve been working on this stuff for a few years now. Tim is fundamentally involved in pushing into these new areas and into these materials.
post #19 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

The battle has shifted away from look and feel toward capabilities and Apple has been showing that it has created a wide lead in that realm with true 64 bit processing, Touch ID security and other security capabilities, tight integration across the mobile and laptop/desktop ecosystem, CarPlay, HomeKit, HealthKit, Metal, first priority among developers when creating new apps, build quality, style, a global high-end retail presence, key partnerships, on boarding of new management and creative talent, secret projects in the works we've yet to glimpse, potential for iPayments, indoor mapping, a location-aware services and promotion/coupon network for Apple's advertising partners, an up and coming streaming radio service and associated talent to augment iTunes Radio, Beats headphones, earbuds, speakers and audio systems, iWatch, a large screen iPhone or two to take away the Android camp's only remaining advantage, updated iPads with TouchId, an eventual updated AppleTV with 4K and enhanced gaming capabilities and growing live content streaming options, and a critical mass of loyal customers eagerly awaiting all of this and whatever Apple comes up with next. 

Yep. 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #20 of 65
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Don't forget Ive's comment to the NY Times:

On that point, it seems to me like Tim would be just as good as Steve in pushing such things, but for different reasons. Where Steve would come at it from a “Oh, that’d be cool, but it’s in really limited production now. Screw that. We’re doing it; I don’t care what that means” angle, Tim would analyze the material/what have you and say, “Okay, I’ve run down [Mohs hardness test/spec sheet/etc.] of [thing] and this is certainly better than every alternative on the market, but it’s in really limited producion now. We’re doing it; I don’t care what that means.”

post #21 of 65

Everyone: Please.

If I may have your attention please.

Remain calm. Do not panic.

Both companies have issued statements saying that the forum wars will go on as previously scheduled. Do not rescind any planned troll memes or displays of faux concern for Apple's competitiveness. We will continue the tribal brand wars as normal. As the Brits say, "Keep Calm and Troll On."

Thank you,

The Management

Edited by Suddenly Newton - 8/5/14 at 8:36pm

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a joint statement issued on Tuesday, Apple and Samsung said they have dropped all ongoing patent litigation outside of the U.S., a move that could culminate in patent reform 

How could this result in patent reform?

post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

How could this result in patent reform?

It has nothing to do with patent reform. The author is mistaken.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On that point, it seems to me like Tim would be just as good as Steve in pushing such things, but for different reasons. Where Steve would come at it from a “Oh, that’d be cool, but it’s in really limited production now. Screw that. We’re doing it; I don’t care what that means” angle, Tim would analyze the material/what have you and say, “Okay, I’ve run down [Mohs hardness test/spec sheet/etc.] of [thing] and this is certainly better than every alternative on the market, but it’s in really limited producion now. We’re doing it; I don’t care what that means.”
I get the feeling Cook trusts his lieutenants. If Ive comes to him and says Apple needs to be investing in A, B & C for X, Y & Z reasons Cook is going to trust his judgement and will give Jeff Williams the green light to go sourcing the materials, equipment etc. Plus I have a feeling with the new iPhone Apple will want to show off some new material or production process. Something cool that no one else is doing or at least not doing in the volumes Apple will be.
post #25 of 65
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Everyone: Please.

If I may have your attention please.

Remain calm. Do not panic.

post #26 of 65

Finally Samsung has had enough of this legal game, trying to escape from the "copying Apple" charges.

Samsung needs the money to hire staff with the intelligence to compete with Apple, without copying.

So Apple has won this copying war with Samsung.

Samsung will have to come up with their own ideas, with Google's help as long as they use spyware Android.

post #27 of 65
Quote:

Great news. Maybe they can go back to being partners instead of enemies. The writing was on the wall. Outside the US basically the court cases were going nowhere for Apple or Samsung. Even here, courts seem reluctant to issue product bans or force anything more than modest royalties and settlements. Also, the past year has shown the limits of Samsung's ability to grow its profits at Apple's expense. They have reported several disappointing quarters in a row while Apple has soared.

Wake up! Samsung is one of the most immoral and dishonest companies on the planet, and probably the most! Apparently you know nothing of their past behavior including violation of multiple companies' IP around the world, copying of others technology and product designs, price fixing, anti-competitive behavior, bribery, etc. etc. etc. The problem is the world's courts are too lax, and ours too slow. By the time the offending products reached trial, they were outdated and replaced by new models. Samsung has consistently thumbed their nose at the law globally and should have been smacked down long ago, their products banned, and then driven back to their disgusting home base in S. Korea.

post #28 of 65
So now what are us fanboys going to argue about on blogs?

This is TERRIBLE NEWS !!!!

/s
post #29 of 65
I get it, this is costly and likely not worth it on paper.

In principle, however, this feels like taking an antibiotic for 12 of the 14 prescribed days. Samsung is a super-bacteria that now knows just how far to push Apple and make money from Apple’s R&D.

The next bacteria, Xiaomi, now has the play book but in a country even less adherent to IP laws.
post #30 of 65

A.F.T.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You really are your namesake Mr SpamSandwwhich?  You have no friggin idea what you are talking about!!  IP law is very robust in most western, but particularly anglo, countries including UK, Australia, NZ etc and earnestly enforced.  You appear to have nothing to do but fill these forums with the most inane crap just like Spam.

post #32 of 65
Originally Posted by prokip View Post
and earnestly enforced. 

So the time where the UK said the opposite of the truth; that was enforcing, was it?

post #33 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So the time where the UK said the opposite of the truth; that was enforcing, was it?

Hey, it's like any bit of litigation in which an aggrieved party decides to engage.  Have you got the money to wage the war, and can you prove your facts and convince the adjudicator - a judge and/or jury.  The recent Apple-Samsung spats are instructive.  Not many judges/juries really understand what is being argued before them.  That's why there's  a move around the common law countries in the western world to establish technically experienced professional juries in such cases and appoint jurists with technology backgrounds and experience.  But to suggest that "the rest of the world is relatively lax on protections for IP" is just plain silly !! 

post #34 of 65
Originally Posted by prokip View Post

That's why there's  a move around the common law countries in the western world to establish technically experienced professional juries in such cases and appoint jurists with technology backgrounds and experience.

Interesting. And it fits the “jury of your peers” requirement pretty well. 

Then again, Samsung would just get off scot free with this defense:

post #35 of 65
How is this possible? I just saw the pics of the new Samsung Alpha. It was such an obvious copy I started yelling at the computer screen.

It's a good thing everyone knows I am crazy.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Wtf
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Wake up! Samsung is one of the most immoral and dishonest companies on the planet, and probably the most! Apparently you know nothing of their past behavior including violation of multiple companies' IP around the world, copying of others technology and product designs, price fixing, anti-competitive behavior, bribery, etc. etc. etc. The problem is the world's courts are too lax, and ours too slow. By the time the offending products reached trial, they were outdated and replaced by new models. Samsung has consistently thumbed their nose at the law globally and should have been smacked down long ago, their products banned, and then driven back to their disgusting home base in S. Korea.
You forget a new comer who is more ruthless than Samsung in stealing and copying IP...the name is Xiaomi
post #38 of 65
Can't wait until the day that GOOGLE will close the openness of Android to stop all the parasites like Xiaomi, Huawei or even Samsung...
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao-zhi View Post

So now what are us fanboys going to argue about on blogs

I dunno... "Beats" me. 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao-zhi View Post

So now what are us fanboys going to argue about on blogs

I dunno... "Beats" me. 1wink.gif
I like the sound of that!1tongue.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Samsung agree to settle all non-US litigation