or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s

Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s - Page 4

post #121 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I respectfully disagree. Or at least I still have doubts.

First, the article you quoted was based on predictions made by Digitimes, not actual reported numbers. That publication's track record of accuracy is really, really, bad. That casts reasonable doubt right away.

Second, as may be expected, none of what we can now compare was accurate. That means we're basing a conclusion that Tim was right on incorrect information.

Third, even if the gist of the article is true, that Apple would consume that majority of the world's screen production, that means Apple was in a better position than anyone to release a larger screen. If they controlled the supply, they could dictate how it was applied. They made a choice to proceed with the size they did. It was not imposed on them.

Display is only one leg of the stool. You will see that the A8 is required to run a big phone Apple-style, and iOS8. Years of development are behind each iteration. All LTPS is going to current projected models, at that time the 5 and 5s. It's a technological ecosystem all its own, the way Apple does it.

The sniggerers are being way too simplistic, and DigiTimes knows more than they do.
post #122 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So what’s your rebuttal?

He's making up shit so he can troll against it later after the phone comes out with the second or third best screen on the market, and he knows it. Either that, or he's terminally fact-challenged. Nobody said anything about a "revolutionary new [display] technology." He's talking about good old LTPS or IGZO, both of which were unavailable in 2012 in Apple quantities. Only one, IGZO, will be revolutionary for larger-screened portables, AFAIK, not in phones. In any case, he's threatening to throw a fit if Apple does not come out Number One, thus misrepresenting the whole argument-from-technology regarding Apple's larger screens. What kind of fit? A troll fit or just a hissy fit? You decide.

Edit: all "he's" should be changed to "she's."
Edited by Flaneur - 8/7/14 at 4:27pm
post #123 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why didn't we get a larger screen in 2012 then? Because of some revolutionary technology that only Apple has access to and that wasn't available in 2012? That's what some here would have us believe. If so, I can't wait for Phil Schiller to tell us all about this revolutionary display technology and I'll assume then that display mate will crown iPhone 6 display the best smartphone display in the market. 1wink.gif

I believe what Tim Cook was referring to is specific to apple's IOS.   What I am talking about is that part of the original IOS design and how it handled screen layout. (i.e in fixed points, not dynamic)

when they went to Retina,  this is WHY they chose the resolution they did (960×640) instead of 720p(1280x720) or some other standard,  they needed an even multiple of the existing screen resolution so existing apps would layout properly.

when they switched to 4" this is why they only added height (and didn't scale width/height equally);  to allow existing apps to layout properly in a "letterbox" on the new display.

It was at THIS time that Apple really started pushing developers to use their "Auto Layout" which would allow apps to be able to handle varying screen sizes;  NOW that developers have been told to use "Auto layout" for 2 years, and perhaps now Apple believes enough apps are using it, they feel confident enough to introduce a new resolution needed for a truly larger screen (in both dimensions) for the Iphone 6.

Hope this makes sense.

post #124 of 133
I really can't understand why Apple uses so low capacity batteries!!! It's a nightmare. Now during the summer holidays it's getting even worse for me. Using the 3G - 4G , the battery lasts less than a half day. Lol.
post #125 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicconegreek View Post

I really can't understand why Apple uses so low capacity batteries!!! It's a nightmare. Now during the summer holidays it's getting even worse for me. Using the 3G - 4G , the battery lasts less than a half day. Lol.

Just buy two iPhones. Problem solved. Lol.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #126 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Just buy two iPhones. Problem solved. Lol.

Good idea 1wink.gif
post #127 of 133

I switched form the iPhone 5S to the Samsung S5 in April.

The S5 battery life is very good. It buries the 5S, and in a pinch, the power saving mode got me through another 4 hours on a measly 7% battery life.

I don't know what iPhone 6 has to offer, but this whole form over function routine is concerning. I don't need a thinner phone as much as I need a longer lasting phone.

post #128 of 133
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

...this whole form over function routine is concerning.

That people still pretend this exists after 7 years is concerning.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #129 of 133
Quote:

It is my considered opinion that Apple frequently puts form over function. I think the current iMacs are a perfect example. Making the edges skinny yields zero benefit to the user beyond looking pretty while adversely affecting the user experience with access and heat dissipation constraints. One can also argue that the mini could be improved substantially without increasing cost just by making the enclosure a little larger. And, of course, there's the subject of this thread. I don't recall anyone complaining that the iPhone 4 was too heavy, yet the choice to make the iPhone 5 lighter seems to have resulted in a chorus of users who are dissatisfied with battery life.

Obviously there are many people who very much appreciate the size reductions and aesthetics of the current lineup. I am NOT saying they are wrong to feel that way. I *AM* saying that what they like is the FORM of the machine. In some cases achieving that form means making compromises in function. So, even though the choice to produce the form satisfies many, perhaps even the majority of, users, that does not change the fact that it is, by definition, form over function. Putting "curb appeal" ahead of absolute performance is just one compromise among many, including cost vs. performance, weight vs. durability, features vs. battery life. etc.

The question is not whether Apple sometimes prioritizes form over function because it's obvious they do. The question is whether Apple's choices are good or bad. There's no way to determine that absolutely because the decision hinges on the use patterns and preferences of the individual. What's good for you may be bad for me or vice-versa.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #130 of 133
Quote:

Quote:

It is my considered opinion that Apple frequently puts form over function. I think the current iMacs are a perfect example. Making the edges skinny yields zero benefit to the user beyond looking pretty while adversely affecting the user experience with access and heat dissipation constraints. One can also argue that the mini could be improved substantially without increasing cost just by making the enclosure a little larger. And, of course, there's the subject of this thread. I don't recall anyone complaining that the iPhone 4 was too heavy, yet the choice to make the iPhone 5 lighter seems to have resulted in a chorus of users who are dissatisfied with battery life.

Obviously there are many people who very much appreciate the size reductions and aesthetics of the current lineup. I am NOT saying they are wrong to feel that way. I *AM* saying that what they like is the FORM of the machine. In some cases achieving that form means making compromises in function. So, even though the choice to produce the form satisfies many, perhaps even the majority of, users, that does not change the fact that it is, by definition, form over function. Putting "curb appeal" ahead of absolute performance is just one compromise among many, including cost vs. performance, weight vs. durability, features vs. battery life. etc.

The question is not whether Apple sometimes prioritizes form over function because it's obvious they do. The question is whether Apple's choices are good or bad. There's no way to determine that absolutely because the decision hinges on the use patterns and preferences of the individual. What's good for you may be bad for me or vice-versa.

I'm afraid your blanket statements do you no favours. So here's another:

799,999,999 people think that Apple combines form with function to delightful effect. 

Nothing wrong with bucking the trend, though. 😃

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #131 of 133
Quote:

799,999,999 people think that Apple combines form with function to delightful effect. 

How does that contradict what I wrote?

That many people LIKE the choices Apple made that compromised the performance or user control over hardware to increase curb appeal does not change the fact that Apple made a compromise in performance or user control over hardware to increase curb appeal.

There is no value judgement in that statement whatsoever.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #132 of 133
Quote:

Quote:

How does that contradict what I wrote?

That many people LIKE the choices Apple made that compromised the performance or user experience to increase curb appeal does not change the fact that Apple made a compromise in performance or user experience to increase curb appeal.

There is no value judgement in that statement whatsoever.

I never said I contradicted you.

As TS would say, read what I posted.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #133 of 133
Quote:

40% more power wasted and twice the charging time. No, thank you.

THIS is the real future: ludicrously high capacities and ludicrously short charging times.

Or both.  I've read about energy storage technologies that allow you to basically pour the full charge in within seconds or minutes, which would be truly awesome.  I think it would be nice to have 3 inductive charging units (office, car, bedside) that would continually top devices off so you rarely need to connect the device physically.

That said, I think fast charge is more likely for phone/tablet/notebook and inductive for a product designed to be worn 24/7.

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s