or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s - Page 3

post #81 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapplingpain View Post
 

 

Which is why they're going to release a phone with a bigger screen and battery.

 

Also, your ridiculous "where does it end" argument can work against you as well.  Why not make the next iPhone smaller, lighter, so it only lasts 4 hrs on a charge?   People care about the appearance.  Shouldn't they make a tiny phone that even Zoolander would like?  

 

Obviously there's a limit in either direction.  Just because someone is suggesting that a longer-lasting battery is better doesn't mean and he is arguing that a 48-hour heavy-use capability is a necessity.

 

Also, the point of fixing something BEFORE it is broken is because Apple is accountable to its shareholders and always fighting to keep its profits high.  Large screen phones are a growing trend and Apple is already 2 years behind the times in producing one.  Quite clearly, they've come to the conclusion that this is something their customers want.  

 

Thanks for making my point for me.

 

Where does it end?

 

It ends where Apple decides it ends.

That is decided by Millions of dollars of research.

 

Do you not think a $600,000,000,000 company knows exactly what the majority of their customers want?

 

Apple had no choice but to stick with the 4 inch screen last year.  Those commitments are made months ahead.  Plus the large phone fad was a shock to everyone, not just Apple.  Samdung is just lucky that they are able to make 1000 different phones and one of them was a hit.

 

Two years ago the iPhone5 and Galaxy S3 came out.  The big phone did not take off until 2013.  So Apple was 12 months late to the party.  So what.  Better to be a year late then a year early and screw up.  That's what Samdung does.  They screw up.  Look at their pathetic smartwatches for reference.

post #82 of 133
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
42

 

Never could get the hang of that place. It’s always Thursday.

 

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tim Cook said it himself.  He said the tech wasn't ready for a large screen iPhone.  So should i believe you or Mr Cook?

 

... You don’t have a clue why he said that, do you.

 
 And one reason he gave was......battery life. LOL.

 

You’re trying to get me to believe that Apple is incapable of creating a larger phone with good battery life? Is that what you’re trying to say? They’ve probably been able to do it since the iPhone’s inception and absolutely since the iPhone 4. They don’t do it because you can’t use a larger phone and the majority doesn’t want a device YOU CANNOT USE.

 

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple had no choice but to stick with the 4 inch screen last year.

 

Wrong.

 

Plus the large phone fad was a shock to everyone

 

You said it yourself. Fad.

 
Two years ago the iPhone5 and Galaxy S3 came out.  The big phone did not take off until 2013.  So Apple was 12 months late to the party.  

 

No, big phones have been around for years and still haven’t taken off. Apple isn’t late to anything.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #83 of 133

To anyone who thinks it's a bad idea (or a waste) to improve battery life, I think the less often you have to tether your mobile device to a wire the better.  Inductive charging could also help reduce the frequency.

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

Reply

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

Reply
post #84 of 133
The iPads were created with "a day of work" in mind, I'm sure. The iPhones seem to be created with "a day of phone" in mind. I think the iPhones should be designed with "a week of phone, a day of work." in mind. The iPhones are being used much more than most iPads, I'm sure. Bigger batteries and super smart CPU power saving ftw!
post #85 of 133
Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post
Inductive charging could also help reduce the frequency.

 

40% more power wasted and twice the charging time. No, thank you.

 

THIS is the real future: ludicrously high capacities and ludicrously short charging times.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #86 of 133
Quote:

No, big phones have been around for years and still haven’t taken off. Apple isn’t late to anything.

"The days of the 3.5-inch or 4.0-inch screen are gone. The entire smartphone market has been trending toward the phablet category over the past few quarters."


Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-phablet-phenomenon-trends-and-growth-forecast-for-the-device-that-is-taking-over-mobile-sai-2014-6#ixzz39e9kRWPJ

post #87 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

... You don’t have a clue why he said that, do you.

 

 

Tell me why. Why did Cook lie (according to you) that they could not make a great large phone

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

 

You’re trying to get me to believe that Apple is incapable of creating a larger phone with good battery life? Is that what you’re trying to say? They’ve probably been able to do it since the iPhone’s inception and absolutely since the iPhone 4. They don’t do it because you can’t use a larger phone and the majority doesn’t want a device YOU CANNOT USE.

 

 

I taking Mr Cooks word.  Tell me why I should not.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

You said it yourself. Fad.

 

No, big phones have been around for years and still haven’t taken off. Apple isn’t late to anything.

 

A fad that sold over 250,000,000 phones the last 3 years?

 

And yes Apple could not make a larger phone in 2013 without severly damaging their margins.  They use the same body for 2 years to save on costs (4, 4s then 5, 5s)

 

 

 

 

post #88 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapplingpain View Post
 

"The days of the 3.5-inch or 4.0-inch screen are gone. The entire smartphone market has been trending toward the phablet category over the past few quarters."


Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-phablet-phenomenon-trends-and-growth-forecast-for-the-device-that-is-taking-over-mobile-sai-2014-6#ixzz39e9kRWPJ

 

Tallest Ski is hopeless.

 

To his dying day he will say a 4 inch phone is ideal for everyone

post #89 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Thanks for making my point for me.

You have no point to make, other than "the iPhone is perfect, anybody who criticizes anything about it is an idiot and should be shot".

You have been behaving like a clueless, petulant brat throughout this entire thread.

People like you were the same who screamed that the iPhone screen size was perfect and only idiots would buy smartphones with larger screens, and laughed at the Samsung Note phablets. You have to grow up and learn to deal with constructive criticism (of Apple -- this is no constructive criticism of you, we're past that point)

post #90 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

WSJ: People want a bigger screen iPhone. Are you against that?
Cook: What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line. That doesn’t say we’ll never do it. We want to give our customers what’s right in all respects – not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability. There are many different parameters to measure a display and we care about all those, because we know that’s the window to the software.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/02/07/apple-still-a-growth-company-cook-says-in-journal-interview/

Tim Cook said it himself.  He said the tech wasn't ready for a large screen iPhone.  So should i believe you or Mr Cook?

And one reason he gave was......battery life. LOL.

Thanks for digging that up. But I don't know what to do with your last battery life comment.
post #91 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tell me why. Why did Cook lie (according to you) that they could not make a great large phone


I taking Mr Cooks word.  Tell me why I should not.



A fad that sold over 250,000,000 phones the last 3 years?

And yes Apple could not make a larger phone in 2013 without severly damaging their margins.  They use the same body for 2 years to save on costs (4, 4s then 5, 5s)

Nothing to do with margins, in my view. The screens weren't available in Apple quantities at any price, neither LTPS nor IGZO.

By the way, a larger battery for the iPhone 6 may not improve battery life from the 5s if they boost the resolution along with the display size, which I expect they will do.
post #92 of 133
While it's a bigger battery most likely it will provide little if any additional battery life The IPhone 6 is expected to have health monitoring functions that will constantly be on and use more battery power
In any case the Iphone6 will be great
post #93 of 133
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
Why did Cook lie (according to you)...

 

Nice strawman. Though a real nice one would be one that isn’t called out immediately.

 

A fad that sold over 250,000,000 phones the last 3 years?

 

Source slash proof? No numbers have been released.

 
 And yes Apple could not make a larger phone in 2013 without severly damaging their margins.

 

Source slash proof? “Reusing the body” isn’t it.

 

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
To his dying day he will say a 4 inch phone is ideal for everyone

 

Don’t put words in my mouth, bucko. We’re all still waiting for your proof of your real claims, after all.

 

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post
The IPhone 6 is expected to have health monitoring functions...

 

Sounds completely wrong. It’s a phone. It can’t monitor anything without additional hardware that not everyone will purchase. Where did you hear this? HealthKit doesn’t monitor health; it aggregates health monitoring.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #94 of 133

Really hope this rumour is accurate. Number 2 on the list of wants for me.

post #95 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

 

I agree.  But a larger screen was just not possible last year.

 

I think all but the most ardent Apple fan sniggered and rolled their eyes when Tim said that. It was bullshit. CEO's do that sometimes.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #96 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If battery life was such a huge problem customers would stop buying iPhones.
But every year they are selling more and more even though the competition is selling there phones for cheaper and cheaper.
You know, you could make exactly the same argument about a larger screen size. If people really want a larger screen, they'd stop buying the iPhone. And yet they don't.You do hear some of them, a minority really - mostly on forums like this, complaining that they want a larger screen, but Apple keeps selling their smaller phones in increasing numbers.

It's almost as if Apple aren't trying to please just one group of people, but rather find a mid-way point that pleases, or at least doesn't completely piss-off, a large cross section of the userbase.
post #97 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I think all but the most ardent Apple fan sniggered and rolled their eyes when Tim said that. It was bullshit. CEO's do that sometimes.

If they Apple made a large phone last year it would have costed a ton. Apple saves money by using the same design for 2 years. If they switch the design every year it will cost a ton to replace new machines, new designs, ect. That is why Apple is able to charge the same with a metal phone than Samdung with a plastic POS.

They could have made a large phone last year but it would have costed Apple billions
post #98 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anome View Post

You know, you could make exactly the same argument about a larger screen size. If people really want a larger screen, they'd stop buying the iPhone. And yet they don't.You do hear some of them, a minority really - mostly on forums like this, complaining that they want a larger screen, but Apple keeps selling their smaller phones in increasing numbers.

It's almost as if Apple aren't trying to please just one group of people, but rather find a mid-way point that pleases, or at least doesn't completely piss-off, a large cross section of the userbase.

LIke i said multiple times here - Apple spends millions on research to find out what their users want. They dont leave anything to chance. Customer preferences change with time. I'm pretty sure that in 2012 not many people wanted a 5 inch phone. But now with new information Apple sees that people want larger screens. Maybe in a few years their research may say people want 48 hour batteries and Apple will comply.
post #99 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post
 

I wouldn't mind trading some thinness and weight against a whole-day battery life... The 5S is gorgeous, but if you use LTE or the GPS a lot, an external battery or battery case is pretty much a requirement. I'd love to have the option of a 5Ah battery, even if that meant a thicker, heavier phone.

 

the problem is this -- what is "whole-day" life? my life lasts me the whole day, but clearly I'm not using it as you are. and despite how often you use LTE or GPS, surely there is someone who uses more. which brings us to -- 24-hour battery life on 100% functionality. this is impossible, not even notebooks could do that.

post #100 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I think all but the most ardent Apple fan sniggered and rolled their eyes when Tim said that. It was bullshit. CEO's do that sometimes.

And a few who were paying attention to realities in the display industry also failed to do this knee-jerk sniggering—you'll forgive the metaphor.

I'd like to see how you and sog35 deal with this (you'll have to extrapolate to 2014):

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/29/apples_next_iphone_expected_to_consume_70_of_high_res_ltps_screen_supply
post #101 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If they Apple made a large phone last year it would have costed a ton. Apple saves money by using the same design for 2 years. If they switch the design every year it will cost a ton to replace new machines, new designs, ect. That is why Apple is able to charge the same with a metal phone than Samdung with a plastic POS.

They could have made a large phone last year but it would have costed Apple billions
Why didn't we get a larger screen in 2012 then? Because of some revolutionary technology that only Apple has access to and that wasn't available in 2012? That's what some here would have us believe. If so, I can't wait for Phil Schiller to tell us all about this revolutionary display technology and I'll assume then that display mate will crown iPhone 6 display the best smartphone display in the market. 1wink.gif
post #102 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why didn't we get a larger screen in 2012 then? Because of some revolutionary technology that only Apple has access to and that wasn't available in 2012? That's what some here would have us believe. If so, I can't wait for Phil Schiller to tell us all about this revolutionary display technology and I'll assume then that display mate will crown iPhone 6 display the best smartphone display in the market. 1wink.gif

Apple did make a larger screen. From 3.5 to 4.0.

In 2012 no one knew big screens woud take off. It was shear luck that Samdung hit on gold. Of course it was easily because they make 100 different phones.

Apple operates in two year cycles. So once they made the decision to make the iPhone5 4 inches they were commited to make the 5S the same size. Show me how many people said the iPhone5 screen was too small. You won't find hardly anyone. At the time it was a good size.

Should Apple switch to a 1 year cycle? Maybe. But that will hurt margins.
post #103 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why didn't we get a larger screen in 2012 then? Because of some revolutionary technology that only Apple has access to and that wasn't available in 2012? That's what some here would have us believe. If so, I can't wait for Phil Schiller to tell us all about this revolutionary display technology and I'll assume then that display mate will crown iPhone 6 display the best smartphone display in the market. 1wink.gif

Keep digging that hole for yourself.
post #104 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I wouldn't mind trading some thinness and weight against a whole-day battery life... The 5S is gorgeous, but if you use LTE or the GPS a lot, an external battery or battery case is pretty much a requirement. I'd love to have the option of a 5Ah battery, even if that meant a thicker, heavier phone.
Most people aren't willing for that, just because you don't do well does not make it devices fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

Doesn't it have to have a bigger battery if there is a bigger screen to keep battery life the same? So at least some of that increase is necessary just for status quo. The screen on a 4.7" diagonal has 35% more area than the 4"

I don't know how that translates to actual power usage, but thinking that a 46% bigger battery is going to increase battery life by the same amount is disingenuous.
Very true, but the larger screen allows a whole lot bigger battery then screen would consume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'd rather have a thinner, lighter phone than a thicker, heavier one.  Even if it meant 10 hour battery life instead of 16.  There's a tradeoff in size and battery life, and Apple has hit that mark since they started I believe.  Need I point any doubters to the Macbook Pro Retina or MacBook Airs?
As I've said, this is apples goal likely, keep thin with battery taking a good boost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

You have all the answers, don't you?  Maybe this person's job doesn't involve driving.  Maybe he or she is out in the field all day w/o access to power and doesn't want a case.  There's nothing wrong with hoping for the iP6 to have a better battery life.  I work at a desk all day but I share the same hope.

Shocking to hear, perhaps, but not everyone's situation is like yours.
There are still alternatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Great point. Very true. However , like the iPad Air. An IGZO screen could easily offset the screen size through efficiency. Additoinally, chipset improvements could make the phone run under less power than the current iPhone 5S.

My hope is baterry life is at least 1.5 times that of the iPhone 5S. Minimum. Pulling for 2.
This has been apple this far, increase efficenty to maintain battery life, harder, but maintains thickness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

I would have expected the previously rumoured 1810mAh battery to compensate for the extra screen size so hopefully this new size will bring some actual benefit in terms of battery life. Certainly larger screen sizes don't use up all additional battery power, one reason why large screen Android phones are much better than the iPhone in terms of battery life.
Keep in mind that when large screen android came out, there battery life sucked, you where lucky to get an hour out of some of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

These kind of threads always crack me up. We all know Apple isn't going to make an iPhone that is thicker and heavier than the previous iPhone. The 3rd gen iPad was a anomaly (and people complained about it). People can complain all they want but if it bothers them that much then they need to get their phone elsewhere.
Very true
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

They also did this with the iPad mini.
Apart from that, another limiting factor is the camera. Since I don't see them designing something with a stuck out optics then unless there is no step change in camera tech there will be not much room for decreasing the thickness.
The IPad mini had a extremly small screen size difference, and as apple did with iPhone 5 they could manage the camera, or we may just see it stick out like iPod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Give me a break. 

As a fan and investor, Apple should do better at providing better battery life. It shouldn't be the customer's problem! 

As a light-medium user who doesn't use a battery case, I've never seen so many iPhones in the wild WITH battery cases. Seeing so many out there clearly points to the fact that the current phone doesn't have an adequate battery for a lot of people.

For me, I would say it's 'okay.' But I would love to stream more and not have such a habit of plugging it in.
Battery life is pretty good now, but I agree the bigger is more since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

In an ideal world Apple would give you exactly what you need but I believe most people manage fine. Heavy users need to figure out how to top up on the go for themselves. It is not rocket science. I have a dash holder in my car where I put my iPhone whenever I drive. I don't spend huge amounts of time on the road but it takes car of 95% of all my charging needs. If you don't drive then perhaps a desktop charger would be a good move. Get to work, plug it in and stream and surf to your hearts content. If you spend most of your day on site and are never near a charging point a case would seem like a simple option. 

For me a thicker and heavier phone with longer battery life would be a loosing proposition.
So in the idea world apple should treat customers like Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Sp you expect Apple to make the phone heavier, fatter, and uglier to satisfy 1% of the population? Really? Bottom line is most people are already satisfied with the 5s battery life.

If someone needs extended battery life they need to buy a $30 battery case. Whats easier? Have 1% of your customers buying cases or 99% of your customers mad about the size and weight of the phone?

Dont fool yourself . Apple pays millions to figure out what the optimal battery life vs weight ratio should be for the majority of there target market. Just because you have special 'needs' does not mean the rest of us have to suffer with a heavy phone.
True, but it does seem that it's more then 1% of people ask for it, more like 10, but only 1% goes for cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I forgot about the iPad mini. Was it as noticeable as the 3rd gen iPad?
No, it was not noticable at all while full IPad was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

If they could somehow get an equivalent operating time increase as they did between the 2012 & 2013 macbook airs, all this hand wringing would be moot. My 2013 Haswell Air lasts forever (over 13 hours solid use)
As I've said, apple has other ways to increase battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Asking for all day battery life is considered a special 'need?' 
Your version of all day battery life is vague, a iPhone gets 3 hours 3d games, 6 hours anything else, so unless your job is play games on the phone all day battery life is not an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I thought Android phones had better battery life because their users don't actually DO anything with them.
Very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

My 5S last the whole day easily.
I usually charge at 10pm with 30%+ of battery life.
My normal day I stream video, stream radio, internet, text, calls ect.

I'm pretty sure 99% of iPhone users have the same experience.

Where does it end?  How much sacrifice do the 99% need to make to please the 1%?  What about people who are in the field for MULTIPLE DAYS?  How do they feel?  Maybe we need to make the iPhone weight 1 pound so the battery last a week.  See how silly that sounds?
The average use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Who do you think you are? I can't believe how arrogant and self-important you are. I'm TELLING you what *I* would prefer. I have battery cases. I've actually had battery cases since my first iPhone. Mophie, Tylt, brand-X, dozens of them. They ALL suck. They add considerable bulk to the phone, much more than a higher capacity battery would. It's an inefficient concept that wastes a lot of energy in the conversion, using one battery to charge another. I would like to have the option to purchase a slightly bigger phone with a much longer battery life, instead of an impossibly thin phone that doesn't last me a day. You are not speaking for all users.
If your complaining, you got to make sacrifices, battery vs thickness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Running out of juice has a serious adverse effect on the ownership experience. If the iPhone's battery life was not an issue to "most users," Samsung would not have picked on it for its anti-Apple commercials.
Samsung always says crap about apple, but it does not make it true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I have battery cases. Lots of them. They're bulky and inefficient. It takes a huge battery case to add the same amount of juice you'd get with a slightly thicker and heavier phone. I'm glad you love your iPhone, but you're clearly pulling your 99% figure right out of your nether regions. Battery life is an issue with all smartphones, and the iPhone in particular. If Apple is, as the rumor says, coming up with two new iPhone sizes, they're obviously aware that "one size fits all" is not the way to go, so why not come up with one model that has huge battery life, for the "1%" so your "99%" doesn't have to suffer?
Screen size is not tottal difference, if they choose one with bigger battery it'd be 2 form factors for 1 device, but what's next, proccesor, camera, models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I didn't say it was a real problem to the point it would make me switch. I said if you survey iPhone users and ask them how the phone could be improved, battery life is at the top of their list. Stop being such a brainless fanboi.
Survey any battery powered computer, battery will be a issue(maybe not MacBooks).
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Because the average user runs countless tests in real life?  No, sorry.  Again, you fail. The average user uses their own real world experience or compares their usage to a friend who owns another phone/brand.
So you say a flawed test is correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No.  thats the Samdung model.   Making dozens of phones.  Look where they are now.

Apple can keep prices low because they make so few models.
Keep prices low?  Yes I said that.  Look at the build quality and materials between the iPhone5S vs teh Samdung S5.  Beautiful metal vs cheap azz plastic.  Yet they cost the same on release.  If Apple made dozens of type of phones like Samdung they would have to either take profit hits or raise prices.

If you are clumsy, constantly drop your phone in the toilet, or stream netflix all day - go buy a case that fits your needs.  For the rest of use normal users we love the beautiful look and feel of the phone.  There is ZERO reason for Apple to make specialized phones for the very few who have 'special needs'

So true
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Can you please document that only 1% want a larger battery. In my job we have 5000+ iPhones, I have asked a number of the people working close to me, and more than half the people asked would prefer a larger battery at the penalty of a little more weight and thickness. Several people, including myself, have battery cases, and I have yet to talk to someone who likes this solution. I have no problems with you saying what you yourself prefer, but stop telling that 99% of other people thinks like you do unless you can document it.
It's probably not one to 99% but 90 to 10% is probably true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapplingpain View Post

One of the big reasons I bought my first Macbook (13" Air) is because it had the Haswell processor which gave it a very long battery life and great sleep-mode power savings.  It's why I chose it over a Macbook Pro.  It's the first laptop that I've really, really enjoyed using for spur-of-the-moment surfing because it wakes up quickly and I don't have to worry about re-charging it.  The 10+ hours of operating time is a huge factor in my enjoyment of that computer.

For some of us, long battery life is a serious and significant consideration.   It's good that Apple is going to produce a phone for those of us who prefer longer battery life and bigger screens.  I presume they'll also keep producing the smaller sized phones as well.
One thing to note is your MacBook Air is thinner then Mac book pro, or 99% of laptops while still having better battery then 99% as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Well I will chill you a little bit it just about 35% bigger as the iPhone 5S got an 5.92 Wh battery (1560 mAh) which is rather huge for a ultra thin 4" phone. But going back to 4S to 5 transition, we saw noticeable battery life gains with just about 3% battery size increase. And this is far bigger than that, so its safe to say the new iPhone will get a noticeably better battery life as well, there will be that hard battery capacity that will not let it down. It will be biggest battery size increase in iPhone history (if true) eclipsing even iPhone 3GS to 4 transition at about 16% and boy that was an incredible battery life on the 4 compared to 3GS back then.... Ok so maybe I didn't chilled anyone with such post.
That's why I don't see why people can't see this same strategy planned again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Must be why they don’t make a phablet, then, huh. 
Besides the fact that it's almost makes you weird because you like it so darn big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

One of the main attractions of an iPhone is its appearance.

Stuffing a large azz battery in it will detract from it

Why fix it if it isn't broken?  Why risk BILLIONS by putting a large azz battery in teh phone a risk losing millions of users?

And where does it end?  If you give 15 hour battery life why not 24 hours? or 48 hours? Just make it bigger, fatter, and heavier?
When does it end?

Do you SERIOUSLY think a $600,000,000,000 company does not do extensive research to see what their clients want?  Seriously!!!
Point taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

WSJ: People want a bigger screen iPhone. Are you against that?
Cook: What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line. That doesn’t say we’ll never do it. We want to give our customers what’s right in all respects – not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability. There are many different parameters to measure a display and we care about all those, because we know that’s the window to the software.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/02/07/apple-still-a-growth-company-cook-says-in-journal-interview/

Tim Cook said it himself.  He said the tech wasn't ready for a large screen iPhone.  So should i believe you or Mr Cook?

And one reason he gave was......battery life. LOL.



Professional reviewers test the phones in a controlled environment.  Thats the difference.
That was just a reason to say they have a screen as efficent as 4 inch planned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

None of the professional reviews mention the iPhone battery life is horrible.  Trust me.  If millions of people were getting 4 hours battery life the media would run with that story 24 hours a day.

I only hear it from individuals on forums.  They probably have defective phones or are 1% that are heavy users.
Point is anybody on a tech forum is not average and is going for the upper use category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Never could get the hang of that place. It’s always Thursday.


... You don’t have a clue why he said that, do you.

You’re trying to get me to believe that Apple is incapable of creating a larger phone with good battery life? Is that what you’re trying to say? They’ve probably been able to do it since the iPhone’s inception and absolutely since the iPhone 4. They don’t do it because you can’t use a larger phone and the majority doesn’t want a device YOU CANNOT USE.


Wrong.

You said it yourself. Fad.

No, big phones have been around for years and still haven’t taken off. Apple isn’t late to anything.
Big phones always are a stupid idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

40% more power wasted and twice the charging time. No, thank you.

THIS is the real future: ludicrously high capacities and ludicrously short charging times.
This should be apples plan, efficenty, not android wich is throw stuff at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tallest Ski is hopeless.

To his dying day he will say a 4 inch phone is ideal for everyone
There is no idea size, but I can say that 4 inches is closer then 5.5 inches is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

While it's a bigger battery most likely it will provide little if any additional battery life The IPhone 6 is expected to have health monitoring functions that will constantly be on and use more battery power
In any case the Iphone6 will be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

LIke i said multiple times here - Apple spends millions on research to find out what their users want. They dont leave anything to chance. Customer preferences change with time. I'm pretty sure that in 2012 not many people wanted a 5 inch phone. But now with new information Apple sees that people want larger screens. Maybe in a few years their research may say people want 48 hour batteries and Apple will comply.
They seem to follow that path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

the problem is this -- what is "whole-day" life? my life lasts me the whole day, but clearly I'm not using it as you are. and despite how often you use LTE or GPS, surely there is someone who uses more. which brings us to -- 24-hour battery life on 100% functionality. this is impossible, not even notebooks could do that.
Anything could do it if you times battery by 5 while adding thickness by 5, hey, apple should add pocket size generators to add battery life as this forum suggest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why didn't we get a larger screen in 2012 then? Because of some revolutionary technology that only Apple has access to and that wasn't available in 2012? That's what some here would have us believe. If so, I can't wait for Phil Schiller to tell us all about this revolutionary display technology and I'll assume then that display mate will crown iPhone 6 display the best smartphone display in the market. 1wink.gif
It probably will be the most efficent, maybe brightest, and by patents, who knows, maybe dolor glass will be built in at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple did make a larger screen. From 3.5 to 4.0.

In 2012 no one knew big screens woud take off. It was shear luck that Samdung hit on gold. Of course it was easily because they make 100 different phones.

Apple operates in two year cycles. So once they made the decision to make the iPhone5 4 inches they were commited to make the 5S the same size. Show me how many people said the iPhone5 screen was too small. You won't find hardly anyone. At the time it was a good size.

Should Apple switch to a 1 year cycle? Maybe. But that will hurt margins.
4 inches was still considered small then, did it kill sales, noo!!!
post #105 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

And a few who were paying attention to realities in the display industry also failed to do this knee-jerk sniggering—you'll forgive the metaphor.

I'd like to see how you and sog35 deal with this (you'll have to extrapolate to 2014):

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/29/apples_next_iphone_expected_to_consume_70_of_high_res_ltps_screen_supply

 

I'm sorry, I don't understand the point you're making with that article. Are you saying Tim Cook was telling the truth?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #106 of 133
in the scamsung wall hugger ad article I mention that Sammy must have panicked when they found Apple and Tesla were in talks.

I still wonder a little...
post #107 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I'm sorry, I don't understand the point you're making with that article. Are you saying Tim Cook was telling the truth?

I'm saying that he was right: in 2013 there wasn't enough LTPS manufacturing capacity to release another iPhone line at the volume Apple would require.

I would also say the same constraint could apply to IGZO-backed displays. We don't know enough to say, but we do know that the iPad Air got the only IGZO love last year, the iPad mini didn't get any but could have used it, and so far the only IGZO monitor that Apple sells is made by Sharp.

The truth for Tim Cook might have been more like, "Yes, we'd like to release some larger-screened iPhones, but we're waiting for display manufacturing capacity to catch up. It's out of our hands right now." No one at Apple could say such a thing publicly, though. It's an admission of a fundamental weakness in their business model: they don't control display manufacturing—yet. And implied is that they backed IGZO manufacturing when they maybe should have invested more in locking-in LTPS manufacturing. We don't know these things because it's none of our business really. It has to do with their private business strategy, and so is outside any sentimental notions we might have about Tim Cook's truth-telling.

In any case, 2014 is the first opportunity that they've had to release an LTPS display with the resolution they're going to need. Your sniggering is misplaced unless you can deal with the facts at this level. He certainly wasn't lying.
Edited by Flaneur - 8/7/14 at 3:05am
post #108 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

What battery life issues? There aren’t any.

 

Simply Lol!

 

You are so out of touch with the real world it's funny. 

post #109 of 133
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Keep digging that hole for yourself.

 

So what’s your rebuttal?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #110 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
 

 

Simply Lol!

 

You are so out of touch with the real world it's funny. 

 

He isn't.  You are.

 

iPhone has no more battery issues as any other premium phone.  I haven't read a single professional review say that the iPhone5S has terrible battery life.

 

I only read it here and other forums.  Its probably guys who use their GPS for 5 hours to reach a remote desert.  Then try to watch Netflix movies where there is close to ZERO LTE reception.  Of course they will run out of battery.  Use your head folks!

post #111 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So what’s your rebuttal?

Glad you asked. Waiting for her to respond. Give it an hour or so.
post #112 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Your sniggering is misplaced unless you can deal with the facts at this level. He certainly wasn't lying.

 

I respectfully disagree. Or at least I still have doubts.

 

First, the article you quoted was based on predictions made by Digitimes, not actual reported numbers. That publication's track record of accuracy is really, really, bad. That casts reasonable doubt right away.

 

Second, as may be expected, none of what we can now compare was accurate. That means we're basing a conclusion that Tim was right on incorrect information.

 

Third, even if the gist of the article is true, that Apple would consume that majority of the world's screen production, that means Apple was in a better position than anyone to release a larger screen. If they controlled the supply, they could dictate how it was applied. They made a choice to proceed with the size they did. It was not imposed on them.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #113 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I wouldn't mind trading some thinness and weight against a whole-day battery life... The 5S is gorgeous, but if you use LTE or the GPS a lot, an external battery or battery case is pretty much a requirement. I'd love to have the option of a 5Ah battery, even if that meant a thicker, heavier phone.
Most people aren't willing for that, just because you don't do well does not make it devices fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

Doesn't it have to have a bigger battery if there is a bigger screen to keep battery life the same? So at least some of that increase is necessary just for status quo. The screen on a 4.7" diagonal has 35% more area than the 4"

I don't know how that translates to actual power usage, but thinking that a 46% bigger battery is going to increase battery life by the same amount is disingenuous.
Very true, but the larger screen allows a whole lot bigger battery then screen would consume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'd rather have a thinner, lighter phone than a thicker, heavier one.  Even if it meant 10 hour battery life instead of 16.  There's a tradeoff in size and battery life, and Apple has hit that mark since they started I believe.  Need I point any doubters to the Macbook Pro Retina or MacBook Airs?
As I've said, this is apples goal likely, keep thin with battery taking a good boost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

You have all the answers, don't you?  Maybe this person's job doesn't involve driving.  Maybe he or she is out in the field all day w/o access to power and doesn't want a case.  There's nothing wrong with hoping for the iP6 to have a better battery life.  I work at a desk all day but I share the same hope.

Shocking to hear, perhaps, but not everyone's situation is like yours.
There are still alternatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Great point. Very true. However , like the iPad Air. An IGZO screen could easily offset the screen size through efficiency. Additoinally, chipset improvements could make the phone run under less power than the current iPhone 5S.

My hope is baterry life is at least 1.5 times that of the iPhone 5S. Minimum. Pulling for 2.
This has been apple this far, increase efficenty to maintain battery life, harder, but maintains thickness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

I would have expected the previously rumoured 1810mAh battery to compensate for the extra screen size so hopefully this new size will bring some actual benefit in terms of battery life. Certainly larger screen sizes don't use up all additional battery power, one reason why large screen Android phones are much better than the iPhone in terms of battery life.
Keep in mind that when large screen android came out, there battery life sucked, you where lucky to get an hour out of some of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

These kind of threads always crack me up. We all know Apple isn't going to make an iPhone that is thicker and heavier than the previous iPhone. The 3rd gen iPad was a anomaly (and people complained about it). People can complain all they want but if it bothers them that much then they need to get their phone elsewhere.
Very true
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

They also did this with the iPad mini.
Apart from that, another limiting factor is the camera. Since I don't see them designing something with a stuck out optics then unless there is no step change in camera tech there will be not much room for decreasing the thickness.
The IPad mini had a extremly small screen size difference, and as apple did with iPhone 5 they could manage the camera, or we may just see it stick out like iPod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Give me a break. 

As a fan and investor, Apple should do better at providing better battery life. It shouldn't be the customer's problem! 

As a light-medium user who doesn't use a battery case, I've never seen so many iPhones in the wild WITH battery cases. Seeing so many out there clearly points to the fact that the current phone doesn't have an adequate battery for a lot of people.

For me, I would say it's 'okay.' But I would love to stream more and not have such a habit of plugging it in.
Battery life is pretty good now, but I agree the bigger is more since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

In an ideal world Apple would give you exactly what you need but I believe most people manage fine. Heavy users need to figure out how to top up on the go for themselves. It is not rocket science. I have a dash holder in my car where I put my iPhone whenever I drive. I don't spend huge amounts of time on the road but it takes car of 95% of all my charging needs. If you don't drive then perhaps a desktop charger would be a good move. Get to work, plug it in and stream and surf to your hearts content. If you spend most of your day on site and are never near a charging point a case would seem like a simple option. 

For me a thicker and heavier phone with longer battery life would be a loosing proposition.
So in the idea world apple should treat customers like Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Sp you expect Apple to make the phone heavier, fatter, and uglier to satisfy 1% of the population? Really? Bottom line is most people are already satisfied with the 5s battery life.

If someone needs extended battery life they need to buy a $30 battery case. Whats easier? Have 1% of your customers buying cases or 99% of your customers mad about the size and weight of the phone?

Dont fool yourself . Apple pays millions to figure out what the optimal battery life vs weight ratio should be for the majority of there target market. Just because you have special 'needs' does not mean the rest of us have to suffer with a heavy phone.
True, but it does seem that it's more then 1% of people ask for it, more like 10, but only 1% goes for cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I forgot about the iPad mini. Was it as noticeable as the 3rd gen iPad?
No, it was not noticable at all while full IPad was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

If they could somehow get an equivalent operating time increase as they did between the 2012 & 2013 macbook airs, all this hand wringing would be moot. My 2013 Haswell Air lasts forever (over 13 hours solid use)
As I've said, apple has other ways to increase battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Asking for all day battery life is considered a special 'need?' 
Your version of all day battery life is vague, a iPhone gets 3 hours 3d games, 6 hours anything else, so unless your job is play games on the phone all day battery life is not an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I thought Android phones had better battery life because their users don't actually DO anything with them.
Very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

My 5S last the whole day easily.
I usually charge at 10pm with 30%+ of battery life.
My normal day I stream video, stream radio, internet, text, calls ect.

I'm pretty sure 99% of iPhone users have the same experience.

Where does it end?  How much sacrifice do the 99% need to make to please the 1%?  What about people who are in the field for MULTIPLE DAYS?  How do they feel?  Maybe we need to make the iPhone weight 1 pound so the battery last a week.  See how silly that sounds?
The average use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Who do you think you are? I can't believe how arrogant and self-important you are. I'm TELLING you what *I* would prefer. I have battery cases. I've actually had battery cases since my first iPhone. Mophie, Tylt, brand-X, dozens of them. They ALL suck. They add considerable bulk to the phone, much more than a higher capacity battery would. It's an inefficient concept that wastes a lot of energy in the conversion, using one battery to charge another. I would like to have the option to purchase a slightly bigger phone with a much longer battery life, instead of an impossibly thin phone that doesn't last me a day. You are not speaking for all users.
If your complaining, you got to make sacrifices, battery vs thickness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Running out of juice has a serious adverse effect on the ownership experience. If the iPhone's battery life was not an issue to "most users," Samsung would not have picked on it for its anti-Apple commercials.
Samsung always says crap about apple, but it does not make it true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I have battery cases. Lots of them. They're bulky and inefficient. It takes a huge battery case to add the same amount of juice you'd get with a slightly thicker and heavier phone. I'm glad you love your iPhone, but you're clearly pulling your 99% figure right out of your nether regions. Battery life is an issue with all smartphones, and the iPhone in particular. If Apple is, as the rumor says, coming up with two new iPhone sizes, they're obviously aware that "one size fits all" is not the way to go, so why not come up with one model that has huge battery life, for the "1%" so your "99%" doesn't have to suffer?
Screen size is not tottal difference, if they choose one with bigger battery it'd be 2 form factors for 1 device, but what's next, proccesor, camera, models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I didn't say it was a real problem to the point it would make me switch. I said if you survey iPhone users and ask them how the phone could be improved, battery life is at the top of their list. Stop being such a brainless fanboi.
Survey any battery powered computer, battery will be a issue(maybe not MacBooks).
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Because the average user runs countless tests in real life?  No, sorry.  Again, you fail. The average user uses their own real world experience or compares their usage to a friend who owns another phone/brand.
So you say a flawed test is correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No.  thats the Samdung model.   Making dozens of phones.  Look where they are now.

Apple can keep prices low because they make so few models.
Keep prices low?  Yes I said that.  Look at the build quality and materials between the iPhone5S vs teh Samdung S5.  Beautiful metal vs cheap azz plastic.  Yet they cost the same on release.  If Apple made dozens of type of phones like Samdung they would have to either take profit hits or raise prices.

If you are clumsy, constantly drop your phone in the toilet, or stream netflix all day - go buy a case that fits your needs.  For the rest of use normal users we love the beautiful look and feel of the phone.  There is ZERO reason for Apple to make specialized phones for the very few who have 'special needs'

So true
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Can you please document that only 1% want a larger battery. In my job we have 5000+ iPhones, I have asked a number of the people working close to me, and more than half the people asked would prefer a larger battery at the penalty of a little more weight and thickness. Several people, including myself, have battery cases, and I have yet to talk to someone who likes this solution. I have no problems with you saying what you yourself prefer, but stop telling that 99% of other people thinks like you do unless you can document it.
It's probably not one to 99% but 90 to 10% is probably true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapplingpain View Post

One of the big reasons I bought my first Macbook (13" Air) is because it had the Haswell processor which gave it a very long battery life and great sleep-mode power savings.  It's why I chose it over a Macbook Pro.  It's the first laptop that I've really, really enjoyed using for spur-of-the-moment surfing because it wakes up quickly and I don't have to worry about re-charging it.  The 10+ hours of operating time is a huge factor in my enjoyment of that computer.

For some of us, long battery life is a serious and significant consideration.   It's good that Apple is going to produce a phone for those of us who prefer longer battery life and bigger screens.  I presume they'll also keep producing the smaller sized phones as well.
One thing to note is your MacBook Air is thinner then Mac book pro, or 99% of laptops while still having better battery then 99% as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Well I will chill you a little bit it just about 35% bigger as the iPhone 5S got an 5.92 Wh battery (1560 mAh) which is rather huge for a ultra thin 4" phone. But going back to 4S to 5 transition, we saw noticeable battery life gains with just about 3% battery size increase. And this is far bigger than that, so its safe to say the new iPhone will get a noticeably better battery life as well, there will be that hard battery capacity that will not let it down. It will be biggest battery size increase in iPhone history (if true) eclipsing even iPhone 3GS to 4 transition at about 16% and boy that was an incredible battery life on the 4 compared to 3GS back then.... Ok so maybe I didn't chilled anyone with such post.
That's why I don't see why people can't see this same strategy planned again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Must be why they don’t make a phablet, then, huh. 
Besides the fact that it's almost makes you weird because you like it so darn big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

One of the main attractions of an iPhone is its appearance.

Stuffing a large azz battery in it will detract from it

Why fix it if it isn't broken?  Why risk BILLIONS by putting a large azz battery in teh phone a risk losing millions of users?

And where does it end?  If you give 15 hour battery life why not 24 hours? or 48 hours? Just make it bigger, fatter, and heavier?
When does it end?

Do you SERIOUSLY think a $600,000,000,000 company does not do extensive research to see what their clients want?  Seriously!!!
Point taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

WSJ: People want a bigger screen iPhone. Are you against that?
Cook: What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line. That doesn’t say we’ll never do it. We want to give our customers what’s right in all respects – not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability. There are many different parameters to measure a display and we care about all those, because we know that’s the window to the software.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/02/07/apple-still-a-growth-company-cook-says-in-journal-interview/

Tim Cook said it himself.  He said the tech wasn't ready for a large screen iPhone.  So should i believe you or Mr Cook?

And one reason he gave was......battery life. LOL.



Professional reviewers test the phones in a controlled environment.  Thats the difference.
That was just a reason to say they have a screen as efficent as 4 inch planned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

None of the professional reviews mention the iPhone battery life is horrible.  Trust me.  If millions of people were getting 4 hours battery life the media would run with that story 24 hours a day.

I only hear it from individuals on forums.  They probably have defective phones or are 1% that are heavy users.
Point is anybody on a tech forum is not average and is going for the upper use category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Never could get the hang of that place. It’s always Thursday.


... You don’t have a clue why he said that, do you.

You’re trying to get me to believe that Apple is incapable of creating a larger phone with good battery life? Is that what you’re trying to say? They’ve probably been able to do it since the iPhone’s inception and absolutely since the iPhone 4. They don’t do it because you can’t use a larger phone and the majority doesn’t want a device YOU CANNOT USE.


Wrong.

You said it yourself. Fad.

No, big phones have been around for years and still haven’t taken off. Apple isn’t late to anything.
Big phones always are a stupid idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

40% more power wasted and twice the charging time. No, thank you.

THIS is the real future: ludicrously high capacities and ludicrously short charging times.
This should be apples plan, efficenty, not android wich is throw stuff at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tallest Ski is hopeless.

To his dying day he will say a 4 inch phone is ideal for everyone
There is no idea size, but I can say that 4 inches is closer then 5.5 inches is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

While it's a bigger battery most likely it will provide little if any additional battery life The IPhone 6 is expected to have health monitoring functions that will constantly be on and use more battery power
In any case the Iphone6 will be great
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

LIke i said multiple times here - Apple spends millions on research to find out what their users want. They dont leave anything to chance. Customer preferences change with time. I'm pretty sure that in 2012 not many people wanted a 5 inch phone. But now with new information Apple sees that people want larger screens. Maybe in a few years their research may say people want 48 hour batteries and Apple will comply.
They seem to follow that path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

the problem is this -- what is "whole-day" life? my life lasts me the whole day, but clearly I'm not using it as you are. and despite how often you use LTE or GPS, surely there is someone who uses more. which brings us to -- 24-hour battery life on 100% functionality. this is impossible, not even notebooks could do that.
Anything could do it if you times battery by 5 while adding thickness by 5, hey, apple should add pocket size generators to add battery life as this forum suggest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why didn't we get a larger screen in 2012 then? Because of some revolutionary technology that only Apple has access to and that wasn't available in 2012? That's what some here would have us believe. If so, I can't wait for Phil Schiller to tell us all about this revolutionary display technology and I'll assume then that display mate will crown iPhone 6 display the best smartphone display in the market. 1wink.gif
It probably will be the most efficent, maybe brightest, and by patents, who knows, maybe dolor glass will be built in at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple did make a larger screen. From 3.5 to 4.0.

In 2012 no one knew big screens woud take off. It was shear luck that Samdung hit on gold. Of course it was easily because they make 100 different phones.

Apple operates in two year cycles. So once they made the decision to make the iPhone5 4 inches they were commited to make the 5S the same size. Show me how many people said the iPhone5 screen was too small. You won't find hardly anyone. At the time it was a good size.

Should Apple switch to a 1 year cycle? Maybe. But that will hurt margins.
4 inches was still considered small then, did it kill sales, noo!!!

 

Good post.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #114 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

What battery life issues? There aren’t any.

 

Simply Lol!

 

You are so out of touch with the real world it's funny. 

 

So out of touch that he's right.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #115 of 133

What I really want is an iPhone Nano.  The small size is ideal for calling and texting.  

 

I have had more butt dialing (Android) than you can imagine when I am in the shop and doing physical labor.  Add a little sweat and you get "hello, hello, is that you?".  And that is on a 3" phone!  My computer is always nearby, so I can do all the web stuff I want without needing a 5.7" screen.

 

I bet there are a lot of people that would like a smaller phone (about the size of a flip phone) with some really good features.

post #116 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post

What I really want is an iPhone Nano.  The small size is ideal for calling and texting.  

I have had more butt dialing (Android) than you can imagine when I am in the shop and doing physical labor.  Add a little sweat and you get "hello, hello, is that you?".  And that is on a 3" phone!  My computer is always nearby, so I can do all the web stuff I want without needing a 5.7" screen.


I bet there are a lot of people that would like a smaller phone (about the size of a flip phone) with some really good features.

"butt dialing (Android)" Nice!

Good point. Yet, a smaller than 3.5" smartphone will be considered a niche market. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that Apple doesn't do niche anymore. They think big. Steve said so during that Segway meeting.

OT: people on an iPhone reading this thread are so not going to like the post from Curtis Hannah, when quoted that is.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #117 of 133
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
[post]

 

Ah, jeez, did you have to quote the whole thing? If there’s something long or unwieldy I want to quote, I just do the above.

 

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
You are so out of touch with the real world it's funny. 

 

Yes, because as we all know, everyone who has used the iPhone, reviewed the iPhone, or encountered an iPhone in any setting has commented on how unusable the battery life is.

 

Oh, wait, no, you’re completely and utterly wrong, perpetrating a delusion for whatever mindless reason.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #118 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
[post]

 

Ah, jeez, did you have to quote the whole thing? If there’s something long or unwieldy I want to quote, I just do the above.

 

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
You are so out of touch with the real world it's funny. 

 

Yes, because as we all know, everyone who has used the iPhone, reviewed the iPhone, or encountered an iPhone in any setting has commented on how unusable the battery life is.

 

Oh, wait, no, you’re completely and utterly wrong, perpetrating a delusion for whatever mindless reason.

 

Sorry. It was such an impressively long post, I thought it warranted another reading, and part of me wanted you to throw your hands up in despair. 😃

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #119 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

OT: people on an iPhone reading this thread are so not going to like the post from Curtis Hannah, when quoted that is.

That was the longest post in the history of the Internet.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #120 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

That was the longest post in the history of the Internet.

That may be. But not the longest sentence, I think:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181706/apple-and-samsung-agree-to-settle-all-non-us-litigation#post_2574527
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: 'iPhone 6' to feature 2100mAh battery, 46% increase from iPhone 5s