or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Samsung teases Sept. 3 reveal of 'Note 4,' less than a week before Apple's 'iPhone 6' event

Samsung teases Sept. 3 reveal of 'Note 4,' less than a week before Apple's 'iPhone 6' event

post #1 of 125
With word leaking that Apple is apparently plotting an iPhone-related media event on Sept. 9, rival Samsung appears poised to beat Apple to press with its own "Unpacked" event six days earlier, where it is expected to unveil its next-generation jumbo-sized Note smartphone.

Samsung

Invitations were sent out to the press this week asking journalists to "note the date" of Sept. 3, when Samsung is set to host an event simultaneously in Berlin, Beijing and New York. It's expected that the company's stylus-driven "Note 4" phablet-style device will be formally introduced.

The timing is interesting not only because it falls less than a week before Apple is rumored to introduce its next-generation iPhone, but also because it's expected that Apple will also get into the "phablet" market with a new 5.5-inch iPhone model this year.

Such a move would position a so-called "iPhone Plus" with a jumbo-sized 5.5-inch display squarely against Samsung's Galaxy Note series. The current Galaxy Note 3 was unveiled at IFA Berlin last year and features a 5.7-inch display, and rumors have suggested this year's "Note 4" will feature an identical screen size.

Both the 4.7- and 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" variants are rumored to be unveiled at Apple's Sept. 9 event. The company has historically made its latest iPhone available to own the following Friday, which would suggest a launch date of Sept. 19 this year.

But recent reports have claimed that Apple may be facing some issues in building the 5.5-inch model, suggesting that it might see a slight delay until after the 4.7-inch version becomes available. If that were to happen, it wouldn't be unprecedented: Last year, initial production issues with the new iPad mini with Retina display led that second-generation device to go on sale 10 days after the iPad Air. Any apparent issues were quickly resolved, however, as supply of the new iPad mini remained steady through the holidays.

As for Samsung's anticipated fourth-generation Galaxy Note, some rumors have claimed it will have a more "premium" feel, using metal in its outer construction much like Apple's current iPhone lineup. It's expected to come with a minimum of 32 gigabytes of storage, and may feature built-in water resistance like the Galaxy S4.

As for release schedule, last year Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Note 3 at a high-profile event on Sept. 4, but the device didn't actually go on sale until Sept. 25. If the South Korean electronics maker keeps that same schedule, it's possible that the Galaxy Note 4 could be announced before Apple's "iPhone 6" lineup, but would not actually hit the market until Apple's latest offering is already in customers' hands.
post #2 of 125
'Copycats' again!
post #3 of 125
Pathetic. They are bottom-feeders all the way.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 125
And who on earth possibly cares what they are going to unpack? This will be a very lonely event with a couple of paid schills attending. 1oyvey.gif
post #5 of 125

Come on. The date was known about BEFORE the leak of the Apple date. This is just the official announcement from Samsung. This post is such BS trying to stir something up that's not there.

post #6 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Man View Post

'Copycats' again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, not at all. The Samsung announcement was known about before the leak of Apple's

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2014/07/133_162030.html

post #7 of 125
But on the evening of the 9th, all the news will be about Apple. Samsung? Note 4? Huh?!
post #8 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Come on. The date was known about BEFORE the leak of the Apple date. This is just the official announcement from Samsung. This post is such BS trying to stir something up that's not there.

There has been no leak about an exact date from Apple. It's all conjecture.

The question now... What if Apple announced an event on the 3rd? Would Samsung move it up even earlier? That could be amusing.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

No, not at all. The Samsung announcement was known about before the leak of Apple's

Linky linky? I hadn't heard about the date. Either way it's still silly that they operate this way. It's not like Apple changed their iPhone release schedule just to try and steal the Galaxy's thunder...
post #10 of 125
Get whatever coverage they can before the iPhone 6 sucks all the oxygen out of the room. A lot of the tech press will already be in Berlin for the IFA conference, which starts the day after Samsung's event and is the largest electronics exhibition in the world. Having the Note 4 event at that show is nothing out of the ordinary, since they announced the Note 3 at the same event last year.

If anything, Apple timing the iPhone 6 so that it coincides with the second-to-last day of IFA Berlin reminds me of how they used to have their big announcements at Macworld San Francisco; and the coverage of those announcements would drown out anything coming out of CES Las Vegas, which also ran at the same time.

However, Samsung doing a multi-venue event in three different cities? That's a big-time clusterf*** in the making. Of course, it goes well with how Samsung seems to scattershot everything they do. No focus. No restraint.
Edited by Woochifer - 8/6/14 at 12:35pm
post #11 of 125
Quote:

There has been no leak about an exact date from Apple. It's all conjecture.

The question now... What if Apple announced an event on the 3rd? Would Samsung move it up even earlier? That could be amusing.

Yet, that is what this post talks about.
post #12 of 125

more proof of 5.5 coming.

post #13 of 125

I'm sure Al Qaeda will buy one or two.

post #14 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

more proof of 5.5 coming.

How so? Because of a Samsung attempt to preempt an Apple announcement?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 125
"Samsung is set to host an event simultaneously in Berlin, Beijing and New York",... Hmm, Samsung needs to announce in three cities for their worldwide announcement of their latest and greatest to Apple's one. That's par for Samsung's course!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #16 of 125
Quote:

Seriously man, you're just plain wrong. I'm not defending Samsung here but you need to get your facts straight. Samsung does this announcement one day before IFA every year. Stop making crap up.
post #17 of 125
Rather than a 5.5 inch iPhone, I'd rather have a 6 inch iPad. Guess a 5.5 inch iPod touch would be close enough.
post #18 of 125

Who cares.  Because as of the 9th, it'll all be about Apple and the iPhone 6.  And iPayments.  and iOS 8.  I'm so stoked.

post #19 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Man View Post

'Copycats' again!

Quote:

Quote:

Seriously people?

The Galaxy Note 4 will be announced on Sept. 3 2014

The Galaxy Note 3 was announced on Sept. 4 2013

The Galaxy Note 2 was announced on Aug. 29 2012

The Galaxy Note was announced on Sept. 1 2011

This isn't rocket science...

Edited by Mazda 3s - 8/6/14 at 12:58pm
post #20 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Who cares.  Because as of the 9th, it'll all be about Apple and the iPhone 6.  And iPayments.  and iOS 8.  I'm so stoked.

I'd love to see an end-to-end pay system rollout at the same time as the iPhone 6 announcement.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Seriously people?

The Galaxy Note 4 will be announced on Sept. 9 2014
The Galaxy Note 3 was announced on Sept. 4 2013
The Galaxy Note 2 was announced on Aug. 29 2012
The Galaxy Note was announced on Sept. 1 2011

Glad Apple's is after as that's what people will remember.
post #22 of 125
Quote:

You think Apple is gong to announce a payments system at this event? If so best kept secret yet.
post #23 of 125
There will be more press coverage of the banners Apple puts up ahead of their announcement (and the possible meanings of the images/colors) then there will be of the Note 4.

Something I saw posted at The Verge that made me chuckle.

Samsung would kill for that kind of free press.
post #24 of 125

I love Apple, but please explain to me why iPayments would be so amazing.  If someone could use their iPhone (or potentially iWatch) to pay for something at a store, using their iTunes account with a linked credit card, why not just cut out the middle man and use a credit card?  If it were to allow linking credit cards with no iTunes account, then maybe it would be more convenient to pay by tapping a phone or watch with NFC.  But if it requires using Passbook, then I would get out my iPhone, probably slide to open Passbook, show the scannable code to the clerk, and have the code scanned; the payment would come from my credit card.  Why would this be more convenient than just taking out my credit card and swiping?  

post #25 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You think Apple is gong to announce a payments system at this event? If so best kept secret yet.

Why not? They shocked everyone with the 64bit A7 and iOS 7 also being fully 64bit. That was a monumental undertaking in terms of the resources it would have taken.
post #26 of 125
Wow such passionate defending of Samsung by some of you. Not mentioning names but you know who you are.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 125
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... If the South Korean electronics maker keeps that same schedule, it's possible that the Galaxy Note 4 could be announced before Apple's "iPhone 6" lineup, but would not actually hit the market until Apple's latest offering is already in customers' hands.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

I imagine that Apple has absolutely no problem with Samsung's horrendously bad annual Note announcement schedule.  

It's like scheduling the first episode of a new TV show season to start about 10 minutes before the Superbowl.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #28 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I really do.  I don't think it'll be the "full scale" rollout, but I am expecting to see some sort of announcement in the payment arena.

post #29 of 125
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

And how, pray tell, did Samsung schedule their device announcements before Apple entered the market?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #30 of 125

Given Samsung's idea of innovation, watch them announce a 4.8" S6 and a 5.6" Galaxy Note.

post #31 of 125

God, they are annoying. They are like the little dorky kid in school who always wants to be picked first but all the cool kids just whip the dodgeball at in gym class.

post #32 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And how, pray tell, did Samsung schedule their device announcements before Apple entered the market?

Which device announcements?

post #33 of 125

I don't follow Samsung rumors - is the Note 4 supposed to have a 7.9" screen?  That'd be my guess :)

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

post #34 of 125

Everyone is expecting Apple's event to take place on Sept 19 (or is it the 9th). They should not send out their invitations until a Samsung invitation for the Note is received by some people in the media, and then immediately send out their invitation for Sept. 2nd! 

post #35 of 125
It has to be 6" with a multi screen capable 1280 x 720 times 4.

Those Qualcomm Kraits are way over rated so that is likely the major flaw.
post #36 of 125
These things look ridiculous when people hold them up to their ears! They must be up to a 7" screen by now

The great thing is that "New" Apple will probably take a few swipes at the inevitable design flaws that Samsung likes to drop in.
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
post #37 of 125
Which device announcements?

Oh yeah, you’re right; the phone industry didn’t do this at all before Apple entered. They just squeezed out a new steamer whenever they wanted.

post #38 of 125
Samsung? Not 4 me.
post #39 of 125

Why would they do this a week before Apple's event?  Doesn't make any sense.  They'll be news for a few days and then quickly forgotten once Apple has their launch.  If anything they should launch AFTER Apple - like 2 weeks after once the news has calmed down some.

post #40 of 125
I'm pretty sure I can type just about anything MUCH much faster on an iPhone keyboard than with a pen... So what's with the pen? I'd like a pen for art and doodles.. Is it for non text note taking, like math and stuff? How are they marketing the pen?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Samsung teases Sept. 3 reveal of 'Note 4,' less than a week before Apple's 'iPhone 6' event