or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New report elaborates on 'iPhone 6' rumors of A8 SoC, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, no sapphire display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New report elaborates on 'iPhone 6' rumors of A8 SoC, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, no sapphire display

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
A report on Wednesday corroborates earlier rumors that Apple's next-gen iPhone lineup will feature a faster processor and advanced communications package, but will not include a much-hyped sapphire screen.



In what can be described as a "rumor roundup" sprinkled with bits of new information, VentureBeat reports a source familiar with the matter has confirmed much of the speculation surrounding Apple's next iPhone.

In the way of new information, the person claims Apple's iPhone 6 will include a multi-core A8 processor supposedly clocked at 2.0 GHz, a massive jump from the current 1.3GHz dual-core SoC found in the iPhone 5s.

Communications are to be handled by a communications suite that includes 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Qualcomm's latest MDM9x35 modem and an NXP near-field communications chip, the source says. While a purportedly leaked logic board pointed to NFC integration, the chip manufacturer has been heretofore unknown.

In a dubious assertion, the person also says Apple will use NFC for a mobile payments solution. An Apple entry in the digital wallet space has been rumored for years, but recent rumblings have suggested a build-out of iBeacon technology rather than NFC.

The final tidbit of new information concerns Apple's Beats acquisition. According to the person, the iPhone 6 could incorporate technology that would facilitate a special "handshake" between the device and Beats headphones, possibly through the Lightning port. Apple announced a similar solution -- the Lightning headphone module -- to developers and third-party hardware makers at this year's WWDC. The protocol allows compatible headphones to plug in to an iOS device's Lightning port for high-level device control, direct analog audio-out and power.

The remainder of VentureBeat's report reads like a compilation of existing rumors and parts "leaks" that have quickly made their way out of the Far East as Apple's anticipated iPhone 6 launch date nears.

As for for the oft-rumored sapphire display, the source says Apple is unlikely to launch an iPhone integrating the super hard glass, but will instead use a material "slightly harder than Gorilla Glass but not as hard as sapphire." A purportedly leaked iPhone 6 "sapphire" display made the rounds in July, but the rumor was ultimately debunked in a video showing the component was susceptible to scratches from sandpaper.

Source: Marques Brownlee via YouTube


A report last month said much the same in regard to the inclusion of sapphire as a major component, noting Apple would not employ major sapphire components in 2014 due to poor ingot yield rates compounded by processing problems. Further, Apple's partner sapphire manufacturer recently reported it has just now started mass production, suggesting raw materials may not be available in quantities sufficient for inclusion in tens of millions of new iPhones.

Finally, the iPhone 6 will come with enhanced Touch ID fingerprint recognition. A purported component leak last week highlighted differences in the design of what is supposedly Apple's next-generation home button, but did not specify any major hardware changes.

VentureBeat claims Apple plans to launch a 4.7-inch handset in mid-September, a date that corresponds with a report on Tuesday saying the company plans to unveil the new iPhone at a special media event on Sept. 9. If Apple applies its usual device launch pattern of starting sales on the second Friday after announcement, the iPhone 6 is looking at a Sept. 19 release.

The source also says a larger 5.5-inch model is coming this cycle, but notes the phablet could debut weeks or months after the 4.7-inch version hits store shelves. This is in line with multiple rumors saying the big-screen iPhone will be delayed, citing production issues.
post #2 of 43
Wow if the 6 looks like that gold phone in the mockup AI constantly uses then it will have the classiest hardware on the market. If it has those broad white lines as seen on other i6's, however, then for once a case will be doing an iPhone justice.
post #3 of 43
An iPhone is never late. It arrives exactly when Apple intends it to.

Sapphire or not, iPhone 6 5.5" all the way for me. Wife is likely getting the 4.7" and I'm keeping an iPhone5 as a backup.
post #4 of 43

It's not "late" if it's unannounced. Thanks, Internet noise machine.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #5 of 43
There seems to be a dearth of rumours about the next iPhone. I'm glad to see that Apple Insider have managed to find one or two, at last.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #6 of 43
Um, VentureBeat was the one who reported Apple was working with Swatch, which Swatch denied same day. And their report is full of 'subject to change' not final verbiage.
post #7 of 43
Can't wait to see the performance demos of the forthcoming A8. I hope the battery life gets a boost, as well as RAM.

I can't wait to hold this in my hands. I really like my iPhone 5S in the leather case. It adds enough heft and grip that makes me feel good holding it. There is such a thing as too thin for being able to hold onto something securely.

I have no idea what surprises Apple may have up their iSleeves but I think there might be one or two 'one more things.'

I hope the sapphire glass makes the cut.
Time to go to 32, 64, 128 storage
Sometime in the future, the whole glass front could be a fingerprint sensor, reducing the button to those times when you need a button.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

It's not "late" if it's unannounced. Thanks, Internet noise machine.

It can definitely be late.

 

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones for their manufacturing partners. If their manufacturing partners have yield issues, that results in constrained availability and reduced unit sales.

 

A product that ships late will have a negative material impact on revenue, dollars that have been budgeted to arrive in a certain time frame. In the case of the iPhone (Apple's number one cash cow), that can be substantial.

 

Note that the last financial analysts conference call, Apple sandbagged guidance by offering a wide spread of $34-37 billion for Q4. What's that $3 billion difference? It is likely the revenue if the iPhone release slips into Q1 FY2015.

 

Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen. For Joe Consumer, there's really no difference between a next-generation iPhone that ships in last September or one that ships in early October. It is a big difference for Apple Inc., its partners, and its shareholders.

 

Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.

post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I hope the sapphire glass makes the cut.

*rimshot*
post #10 of 43

Perfectly fine - I'd rather have the horsepower anyway.

post #11 of 43
I don't personally believe that the iPhone will have a "sapphire" display—not this year at least. However: that panel being scratched by sandpaper is by no means proof that it's not.

It's quite possible for sharp grains of material to scratch smooth surfaces of the same hardness. The Carborundum (silicon carbide) on the sandpaper could quite handily scratch the "sapphire" (aluminum oxide) of a flat panel like that. Carborundum is 9-9.5 on the Mohs scale, alumina is what...9?

Parenthetically, how is it legal to call pure alumina "sapphire"? I know there has to be a minimum amount of chromium in it before you can call it "ruby"—isn't there a minimum titanium content to be called "sapphire"?
post #12 of 43
So excited for this. Wish we could get a 5.5", but clearly we have seen no 5.5" case leaks, so can we shelve that idea already? We saw the 4.7" leaks, what, 2-3 months ago?

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #13 of 43
Dudes. Not so sure "hyped" is the right word for the sapphire screen, since Apple has never mentioned it, no not once. Of course, they did spend half a billion on a solar powered sapphire plant in the desert. But that could just as easily be for windows in the new spaceship office building, and the stores, and windscreens for scooters as the employees scoot about the spaceship corporate headquarters. Is what I am writing hype? It's drivel. Slap a headline on it and ship it!
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

It's not "late" if it's unannounced. Thanks, Internet noise machine.

It can definitely be late.

 

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones...

 

...Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen...

 

...Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.


You are arguing semantics about the use of the word 'late'.

 

The dictionary defines late (when used as an adverb) as:

   after the expected, proper, or usual time: she arrived late.

 

SpamSandwich correctly points out that Apple has not even announced a product therefore there is no public deadline to hold them to. Is the iWatch late or the iTV because a number of analysts have said Apple would have them several quarters ago (even years)? Just because analysts and the media second guess by looking at supply chains and reading teas leaves or chicken entrails does not make a date they guess at the due date. On the other hand mpantone is correct in pointing out that Apple definitely has an internal timeline and reality is that the later they ship the shorter the holiday buying season and the less revenue over that period (although I believe it will be made up for after holidays since it is not an impulse buy for a bunch of consumers). IMHO Apple's announcement times have varied from at least early June to well into September with shipping times to follow within a day to weeks or more; this would not allow anyone to say that there is a proper or usual time for an update. However the expected time might be able to be argued because of all the rumors based on analysts, supply chains, Chinese newspapers and fake mockups or pictures of the new product in all its glory.

 

Bottom line is in a bit over a month we will know for sure -- unless the rumored media event is for something else in which case the announcement will be late¡

post #15 of 43
another bolder to add to the mountain of evidence that the 5.5 is coming
post #16 of 43
Iphone 6s (S is for Sapphire). Let's get 2015 rumors going already. Lol
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

another bolder to add to the mountain of evidence that the 5.5 is coming

Yep, I agree; the 2.17" iWatch is a shoe-in. As you say, the evidence is overwhelming.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yep, I agree; the 2.17" iWatch is a shoe-in. As you say, the evidence is overwhelming.

Yes- he's easy to make fun of, but in his defense- the stuff he says at least makes him sound smarter than a bolder boulder.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post
 

You are arguing semantics about the use of the word 'late'.

 

The dictionary defines late (when used as an adverb) as:

   after the expected, proper, or usual time: she arrived late.

Even if Apple doesn't announce its internal deadlines and milestones to the general public, it doesn't mean that there is a timeline.

 

Note that my comments about shareholder expectations are VERY relevant. Apple provides guidance based on what they expect will happen. Major misses like a delayed iPhone release have a MATERIAL impact on revenue. Apple doesn't have to specify dates, they already set expectations by giving revenue guidance. It's not like a late iPhone release can be made up by selling more AppleTVs or iPods.

 

Apple rarely gives more than vague predictions about when something is coming (e.g., "this fall"). However, they do give financial guidance which in a way often reveals what the expectations are.

post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

It can definitely be late.

 

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones for their manufacturing partners. If their manufacturing partners have yield issues, that results in constrained availability and reduced unit sales.

 

A product that ships late will have a negative material impact on revenue, dollars that have been budgeted to arrive in a certain time frame. In the case of the iPhone (Apple's number one cash cow), that can be substantial.

 

Note that the last financial analysts conference call, Apple sandbagged guidance by offering a wide spread of $34-37 billion for Q4. What's that $3 billion difference? It is likely the revenue if the iPhone release slips into Q1 FY2015.

 

Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen. For Joe Consumer, there's really no difference between a next-generation iPhone that ships in last September or one that ships in early October. It is a big difference for Apple Inc., its partners, and its shareholders.

 

Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.

A product is only late when a manufacturer or retailer has announced a specific availability date for a given product and doesn't make the product available by that date. An unannounced product can't be late.

 

A product may be late according to Apple's own internal projections, which I doubt Apple would ever admit to publicly until well after the fact if ever, but it is not late to the world in general if was never publicly announced to start with.

 

How can YOU have timetable for a product that was never announced to start with? Sounds like you are always going to be disappointed waiting for the next great thing that was never announced. Almost sounds like the people that say I won't buy this generation of the iPhone or product X because the next one will be better and never end up buying period.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
 

A product is only late when a manufacturer or retailer has announced a specific availability date for a given product and doesn't make the product available by that date. An unannounced product can't be late.

 

A product may be late according to Apple's own internal projections, which I doubt Apple would ever admit to publicly until well after the fact if ever, but it is not late to the world in general if was never publicly announced to start with.

 

How can YOU have timetable for a product that was never announced to start with? Sounds like you are always going to be disappointed waiting for the next great thing that was never announced. Almost sounds like the people that say I won't buy this generation of the iPhone or product X because the next one will be better and never end up buying period.

Like other consumer electronics companies, Apple sets up expectations for their customers AND shareholders from their previous history.

 

As a customer I couldn't care less if the next-gen iPhone ships on September 19th or October 3rd. I'm not going to buy it anyhow, I have a 5s.

 

However, I DO care as an AAPL shareholder. Apple has given guidance of $34-37 billion and I want them to hit the latter number since it likely reflects a timely release of the next-gen handset THIS quarter.

 

Again, Apple has their own internal deadlines, but they clearly set up expectations for SHAREHOLDERS by giving financial guidance for each quarter.

 

Remember, amongst the most important responsibilities for a publicly-traded corporation is to increase shareholder value. You think Apple's stock buyback is for fun and giggles?

 

Apple has to please more people than just customers.

post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

*rimshot*

post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

Like other consumer electronics companies, Apple sets up expectations for their customers AND shareholders from their previous history.

 

As a customer I couldn't care less if the next-gen iPhone ships on September 19th or October 3rd. I'm not going to buy it anyhow, I have a 5s.

 

However, I DO care as an AAPL shareholder. Apple has given guidance of $34-37 billion and I want them to hit the latter number since it likely reflects a timely release of the next-gen handset THIS quarter.

 

Again, Apple has their own internal deadlines, but they clearly set up expectations for SHAREHOLDERS by giving financial guidance for each quarter.

 

Remember, amongst the most important responsibilities for a publicly-traded corporation is to increase shareholder value. You think Apple's stock buyback is for fun and giggles?

 

Apple has to please more people than just customers.

 

 

WTF are you talking about? They didn't offered any guidance that requires a 5.5in phone to be released... It's all in your head dude.

post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

Like other consumer electronics companies, Apple sets up expectations for their customers AND shareholders from their previous history.

 

As a customer I couldn't care less if the next-gen iPhone ships on September 19th or October 3rd. I'm not going to buy it anyhow, I have a 5s.

 

However, I DO care as an AAPL shareholder. Apple has given guidance of $34-37 billion and I want them to hit the latter number since it likely reflects a timely release of the next-gen handset THIS quarter.

 

Again, Apple has their own internal deadlines, but they clearly set up expectations for SHAREHOLDERS by giving financial guidance for each quarter.

 

Remember, amongst the most important responsibilities for a publicly-traded corporation is to increase shareholder value. You think Apple's stock buyback is for fun and giggles?

 

Apple has to please more people than just customers.

I too am a customer and a shareholder as well. I don't hold Apple accountable to published rumors or rampant customer expectations but I do hold them accountable to the financial guidance they provide and expect them hit their projections, not the projections that the so called professional ANALyst provide which seem to be mostly SWAG Scientific Wild As* Guessing. Unfortunately Wall Street seems to be mostly about SWAG.

 

I still don't consider an Apple product late until Apple misses the shipping date for a product that they publicly announced. Apple has done fairly well handling their business as they see fit to and I'll go with Apple's own internal timetable over Wall Street's, rampant customer expectations or rumors at this point in time.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Can't wait to see the performance demos of the forthcoming A8. I hope the battery life gets a boost, as well as RAM.

I can't wait to hold this in my hands. I really like my iPhone 5S in the leather case. It adds enough heft and grip that makes me feel good holding it. There is such a thing as too thin for being able to hold onto something securely.

I have no idea what surprises Apple may have up their iSleeves but I think there might be one or two 'one more things.'

I hope the sapphire glass makes the cut.
Time to go to 32, 64, 128 storage
Sometime in the future, the whole glass front could be a fingerprint sensor, reducing the button to those times when you need a button.
Battery seems confirmed boost, while Ram of 2gb is almost confirmed, pretty hopeful that they replace 16 gb with 128 gb, or at least make it $50 upgrades for double the storage, as iPod is now(doubt it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

It can definitely be late.

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones for their manufacturing partners. If their manufacturing partners have yield issues, that results in constrained availability and reduced unit sales.

A product that ships late will have a negative material impact on revenue, dollars that have been budgeted to arrive in a certain time frame. In the case of the iPhone (Apple's number one cash cow), that can be substantial.

Note that the last financial analysts conference call, Apple sandbagged guidance by offering a wide spread of $34-37 billion for Q4. What's that $3 billion difference? It is likely the revenue if the iPhone release slips into Q1 FY2015.

Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen. For Joe Consumer, there's really no difference between a next-generation iPhone that ships in last September or one that ships in early October. It is a big difference for Apple Inc., its partners, and its shareholders.

Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.
Device is un announced publicly then public could see device as late as October, November but it would still not be "late". And they likely don't haft to tell manufactures a exact date, just a estimate.
post #26 of 43
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
... the source says Apple is unlikely to launch an iPhone integrating the super hard glass.

 

But what does "the source" say about a circular Mac mini with solid sapphire enclosure?

It would add stratospheric cachet to the currently glamour-challenged Mac mini.

And it would reflect the brand new Apple headquarters building's avant-garde circular style.

You heard it here first.

/s (???)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

It can definitely be late.

 

Apple has their own internal deadlines as well as milestones for their manufacturing partners. If their manufacturing partners have yield issues, that results in constrained availability and reduced unit sales.

 

A product that ships late will have a negative material impact on revenue, dollars that have been budgeted to arrive in a certain time frame. In the case of the iPhone (Apple's number one cash cow), that can be substantial.

 

Note that the last financial analysts conference call, Apple sandbagged guidance by offering a wide spread of $34-37 billion for Q4. What's that $3 billion difference? It is likely the revenue if the iPhone release slips into Q1 FY2015.

 

Remember, different parties have different timetables on when things are supposed to happen. For Joe Consumer, there's really no difference between a next-generation iPhone that ships in last September or one that ships in early October. It is a big difference for Apple Inc., its partners, and its shareholders.

 

Just because YOU don't have a timetable doesn't mean that other people do not. The world isn't just about you.

 

Well, that was unnecessarily harsh.

post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

another bolder to add to the mountain of evidence that the 5.5 is coming

 

This is something I just can't figure out @sog35. Almost every rumour posting has you commenting that it is evidence that the 5.5" is coming.

 

I have seen you make some very sensible posts dealing with Apple shares and stuff, but I just can't understand your obsession with this.

You even make some  protracted claims of proof like 50MM Notes selling meaning that the 5.5" is coming.

 

If a 5.5" does come, well that's fine. If it doesn't, that is also fine. I don't know what I want until Apple tells me what I want. But I get the impression that you are just trying to convince yourself that it is coming, rather than convince other readers.

 

I wouldn't bother to post if I considered you a troll. It's just surprising to see such posts in some cases when you make a lot of sense in others.

post #29 of 43
If not iPhone 6, then what product is sapphire soon to be mass produced for?
post #30 of 43

I expect Apple's big problem at this time, is obtaining the huge volumes of iPhones in the many locations receiving it first.

They've been manufacturing whatever for months.

It's very likely the 5.5" will arrive later, or there will be very limited volumes initially.  :smokey:

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post
 

I expect Apple's big problem at this time, is obtaining the huge volumes of iPhones in the many locations receiving it first.

They've been manufacturing whatever for months.

It's very likely the 5.5" will arrive later, or there will be very limited volumes initially.  :smokey:

You may expect that your comments are acccurate but you nothing but unsubstantiated rumors to back up what you 'expect' to happen.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #32 of 43
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
Yep, I agree; the 2.17" iWatch is a shoe-in.

 

Breaking: Apple to create shoe phone!

 

Originally Posted by dapple View Post
If not iPhone 6, then what product is sapphire soon to be mass produced for?

 

Women.

 

Oh, product

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post
 

 

This is something I just can't figure out @sog35. Almost every rumour posting has you commenting that it is evidence that the 5.5" is coming.

 

I have seen you make some very sensible posts dealing with Apple shares and stuff, but I just can't understand your obsession with this.

You even make some  protracted claims of proof like 50MM Notes selling meaning that the 5.5" is coming.

 

If a 5.5" does come, well that's fine. If it doesn't, that is also fine. I don't know what I want until Apple tells me what I want. But I get the impression that you are just trying to convince yourself that it is coming, rather than convince other readers.

 

I wouldn't bother to post if I considered you a troll. It's just surprising to see such posts in some cases when you make a lot of sense in others.

 

You got me.  Some of my 5.5 posts are in jest.  Cause one guy (someone tall) is constantly in denial about Apple bringing larger phones.

 

I really have no physical proof that Apple is bring the 5.5 but I'm looking at it from a business perspective.  The market for phablets are just way too big for Apple to ignore.  Especially in China which is their #1 growth market.  All these other rumors are just more logs thrown into the fire.

 

Just ask this question:

 

Does Samsung want Apple to bring out a 5.5 iPhone?  Theres your answer. 

post #34 of 43
I would argue with the term 'hyped' in regard to sapphire screens. There is no hype per se just anticipation. It's not 'if' just 'when' IMHO. Also what product gets it first.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post
 

You are arguing semantics about the use of the word 'late'.

 

The dictionary defines late (when used as an adverb) as:

   after the expected, proper, or usual time: she arrived late.

Even if Apple doesn't announce its internal deadlines and milestones to the general public, it doesn't mean that there is a timeline.

 

Note that my comments about shareholder expectations are VERY relevant. Apple provides guidance based on what they expect will happen. Major misses like a delayed iPhone release have a MATERIAL impact on revenue. Apple doesn't have to specify dates, they already set expectations by giving revenue guidance. It's not like a late iPhone release can be made up by selling more AppleTVs or iPods.

 

Apple rarely gives more than vague predictions about when something is coming (e.g., "this fall"). However, they do give financial guidance which in a way often reveals what the expectations are.


I assume you mean't "...it doesn't mean that there is [not] a timeline."

 

The financial guidance they give does in some ways does tip their hands. By itself it means nothing, historically since the iPhone has been the cash cow of late most would expect the difference (negative of guidance) to be in the number of units sold of the iPhone. I posit that the introduction of an iWatch, a larger iPad or a couple other "new products" could actually cause the bottom-line to go up even if there were a delay in the iPhone 6 model(s) of a few weeks of what has been guessed. Remember along with the guidance came the Q&A call where they reiterated that Apple was going to have new products in the pipeline -- I don't think they would have made such a big deal if they were only hobby products like the AppleTV.

 

You are free to guess and gamble they way the rest of us do that own AAPL, but I hope it is based on more than simple quips that one day say sapphire and the next day gorilla-type glass, or talk about major features being dropped from this release but fail to mention that there are numerous other features that were only scanned over during the WWDC keynote. They can't give out all the details as those in K-land have there copiers running full speed to try to beat Apple out the door by less than a week with their new SuperScam Note 4 (with built-in ear cleaner/nose picker).

 

Think what you like mpantone since its all hypothetical to it happens. Maybe this will all be cleared up by the 10th of September¡

post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I would argue with the term 'hyped' in regard to sapphire screens. There is no hype per se just anticipation. It's not 'if' just 'when' IMHO. Also what product gets it first.


Couldn't agree more. I would add that there is no real giant hurry to get these out until they have some time to really break in the new plant and train folks with installation, etc.... Heaven knows we don't want a 'SapphireGate' on our hands, but it will be worth the premium when it is ready for prime time. Good Sapphire is much nicer than Gorillas IMHO.

 

I would kind of guess that maybe a watch would be a better platform to introduce sapphire on since there have actually been numerous of those products in the past (by many others) and thus some real world experience to know how you are doing. it is a long way from a 1.6 sq in watch face to a phone that is greeter than 13 sq in.

post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
Yep, I agree; the 2.17" iWatch is a shoe-in.

 

Breaking: Apple to create shoe phone!

 

Originally Posted by dapple View Post
If not iPhone 6, then what product is sapphire soon to be mass produced for?

 

Women.

 

Oh, product

Apparently the Apple Cone of Silence has failed again...

post #38 of 43
Will there still be a 4" iPhone? I am perfectly happy with the size of my 5s and I am not looking for something larger.
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibri View Post

Will there still be a 4" iPhone? I am perfectly happy with the size of my 5s and I am not looking for something larger.

 

if so you don't need to buy anything then

post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I don't personally believe that the iPhone will have a "sapphire" display—not this year at least. However: that panel being scratched by sandpaper is by no means proof that it's not.

It's quite possible for sharp grains of material to scratch smooth surfaces of the same hardness. The Carborundum (silicon carbide) on the sandpaper could quite handily scratch the "sapphire" (aluminum oxide) of a flat panel like that. Carborundum is 9-9.5 on the Mohs scale, alumina is what...9?

Parenthetically, how is it legal to call pure alumina "sapphire"? I know there has to be a minimum amount of chromium in it before you can call it "ruby"—isn't there a minimum titanium content to be called "sapphire"?

 

Well, you know of at least two pieces on there that will be made of sapphire.  As for the cover glass, I'm hoping (because I've invested in GTAT) that it does.  Wouldn't make sense to me for Apple to be churning out all that sapphire in Mesa for nothing.

 

As for what it's called, I'm sure they'll come up with a name like "Retina Display."  Maybe "Sapphire Glass".

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • New report elaborates on 'iPhone 6' rumors of A8 SoC, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, no sapphire display
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New report elaborates on 'iPhone 6' rumors of A8 SoC, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, no sapphire display