or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft looking to open retail outlet near flagship 5th Ave. Apple Store

Microsoft looking to open retail outlet near flagship 5th Ave. Apple Store

post #1 of 69
Apple's iconic glass cube may soon get a neighbor in longtime rival Microsoft, which is supposedly in negotiations to open a retail space on New York's Fifth Ave., just a few blocks away from the city's flagship Apple Store.

Apple's Fifth Ave. flaghship store (highlighted in red) is just a few blocks north of Microsoft's rumored outlet (pinned).

According to sources familiar with Microsoft's plans, the Redmond, Wash. company is looking to take over a two-story space previously occupied by Fendi, a short walking distance from Apple's Fifth Ave. outlet, reports the New York Daily News.

Located at 677 Fifth Ave., the 8,700-square-foot property would be Microsoft's first permanent store in Manhattan. Previously, the company opened a Times Square pop-up shop in 2012, though the installation was temporary. In 2005, rumors suggested Microsoft would open a retail space in the historic One Times Square building, which hosts the widely televised annual New Year's Eve ball drop, though plans ultimately fell through.

Apple took the wraps off its Fifth Ave. location in 2006, four years after opening its first Manhattan location in SoHo. The outlet's 32-foot glass cube entryway, said to have been designed by late cofounder Steve Jobs, never closes and has become one of the most photographed spots in the city.

Following Apple's lead, Microsoft opened its first branded retail store in 2009 at a Scottsdale, Ariz. mall. Since then, the software giant has rolled out a total of 102 stores in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. -- many times near Apple Stores -- with another 12 opening soon.
post #2 of 69

Made out of plexiglass, of course.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #3 of 69
too little too late from a former leader to a going down follower
post #4 of 69

So prestiges a spot to stand so proudly empty? I’m stymied.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #5 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myego View Post

former leader

Never my leader.
post #6 of 69

Are Microsoft retail stores doing that well so that they'd have to open another one?  The other stores are usually empty so merely adding more empty space isn't any solution.  Once they get the product to pack the first stores, then they can see about opening more.  This way, Microsoft is simply being inefficient with space.

post #7 of 69
They still have stores, who knew that.
post #8 of 69
Hmmm... I thought that Nadella was changing course at Microsoft!?
post #9 of 69

I'd love to give Microsoft the benefit of a doubt, but this has to be the biggest waste of money and just a vanity project.

I haven't read one good story about MS stores being populated with people, outside of luring people in for a store opening.

How many times do you read that someone always sees the local Apple store packed and only 3 or 4 people in the MS store?

Well, MS does have deep pockets, so this is probably the biggest lost leader for them percentage-wise.

post #10 of 69

Well, on rainy days, the MS store will be a nice dry place for the overflow crowd to take refuge until there is room for them in Apple's store.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #11 of 69
Monkey see. Monkey do.

Stupid move on their part. I see the consumer going to the Apple Store, checking out the iPad, walking over to the Microsoft store to check out the Surface than going back to the Apple Store to purchase an iPad.
post #12 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myego View Post

too little too late from a former leader to a going down follower

I hear you but Microsoft wouldn't know what the word 'leader' means. It was the Scamsung of the last century. Copy copy copy ... Steal steal steal ....

I am very happy to see there presence on the mobile stage fail to even register on any graphs.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornwald View Post

They still have stores, who knew that.

I hear Woolworth were thinking of offering to take them over, but they felt they were too down market.
post #14 of 69

MSFT, they are genius. Why work, just copy!

post #15 of 69
Competition is good, but this is foolish... wow I can't believe I just said that about MS... I remember the days of slavery.
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I haven't read one good story about MS stores being populated with people, outside of luring people in for a store opening.

How many times do you read that someone always sees the local Apple store packed and only 3 or 4 people in the MS store?

To be fair those articles stating there is no one in the MS stores are usually published on sites like AI, not exactly known for correctly story telling when it comes to MS. Maybe you should widen the number of sites you visit to get a more rounded view of the truth, as you first statement is incorrect.
post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Monkey see. Monkey do.

Ballmer retired you know.

post #18 of 69
I visited one about 5 months back when I I picked up iPad mini from an apple store 4 stores down. It gave me one impression: techno club.

It was cramped, dark and the colored products made it feel like they were about to rock to techno or something. Oh and it was empty sans me and the staff
post #19 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Are Microsoft retail stores doing that well so that they'd have to open another one?  The other stores are usually empty so merely adding more empty space isn't any solution.  Once they get the product to pack the first stores, then they can see about opening more.  This way, Microsoft is simply being inefficient with space.

Here in our Vancouver area,  at the Metrotown mall in Burnaby, BC;

MS opened a store after trying a small  isle stand in the middle of the mall.

But they put their fairly large store in an out of the way location downstairs, whereas Apple's very large store is on the second floor main walkway  where there is much walk by traffic.

Apple's store is very busy, at times difficult to walk around in.

MS's store wasn't that busy when I looked at it the second week it was open. I haven't returned to see it again, as it is not in a location I (or others) normally walk by.

Of course Apple's store has many different user products, nicely setup on tables for users to try.

The MS store had only that Surface thing, a few phones and a few PCs showing the latest Windows antivirus update.

post #20 of 69

Why?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #21 of 69
Well SAMSUNG has started this as well copying the stores. The interesting part is that the stores in Europe have design patents that should complicate using "copy me" strategy in one of the most important markets.
post #22 of 69

i hope the doors are wide open and the AC is cranked up on those hot summer days.

post #23 of 69

It was part of Apple's strategy to turn their fortunes around, surely Microsoft can use the same plan. /s

post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmm... I thought that Nadella was changing course at Microsoft!?

Oh, nothing of the sort has happened at Microsoft. It was all a smokescreen.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #25 of 69
Microsoft needs the space for all those copies of Windows 8 they plan to sell. /s
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Why?

Windows 95 sales aren't what they used to be. A new store should boost sales.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 69

Waste of money. That's like opening a lemonade stand next to Starbucks.

post #28 of 69
How long before it turns into a kiosk.
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How long before it turns into a kiosk.

Sooner than it'll turn into profit.

Edited by island hermit - 8/7/14 at 6:40am
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Waste of money. That's like opening a lemonade stand next to Starbucks.

I honestly did not know that Starbucks sold lemonade.

Is it good?

post #31 of 69

I can only speak for the one I know in Valley Fair (granted, a stone throw away from Apple's headquarters): the Apple Store is always incredibly busy, and the Microsoft store is always empty. But this may have more to do with mindshare than actual sales (at least I hope for them it does, otherwise... ouch!)

post #32 of 69
In their desperation to be like Apple, Microsoft forgets that their customers don't want them to be like Apple.
post #33 of 69

Apple invented the retail store. I cannot believe these copycat companies that also open retail stores. Why don't they invent something new.

post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

Well SAMSUNG has started this as well copying the stores. The interesting part is that the stores in Europe have design patents that should complicate using "copy me" strategy in one of the most important markets.
trademark not design patent. It's an important difference. Trademarks don't have a duration and have a different set of rules about what is infringement of that trademark and what isn't.
post #35 of 69

Either Microsoft is as pigheaded as Samsung is (what with Samsung announcing an event based on the rumour of an Apple event), or this spot is actually a dance school where they teach you to do the clickity-click with the Surface cover.

post #36 of 69

Microsoft's biggest problem is that it has nothing to sell that attracts customers to the store.

Windows is already pre-installed on PCs.  Microsoft Office is already pre-installed on PCs - at least in a trial state.

Microsoft sells no PCs other than the Surface Pro tablet.

X-Box and its games are already sold in numerous venues - Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Costco, Best Buy, etc. 

Microsoft accessories - like keyboards, mice, etc. are already sold in numerous venues - Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot, etc. etc.

Windows Phone?  What is that?  The new Zune?

In a Microsoft Store, there is only the curiosity of seeing adults aping Apple geniuses.  Aping.

post #37 of 69

What the hell is there of interest to see inside a Microsoft store, and why would any conscious person ever want to visit a Microsoft store?

They should invest in a Microsoft museum instead.

Fast forward 25 years:

(tour given by official tourguide)

Over here in this corner we see something called a Surface Tablet. This curiosity existed from 2012 to 2016, when it was officially terminated after Microsoft could no longer sustain the billions of dollars in loss and damage each year caused by weak sales. Microsoft continued to promote the tablet until the very end, making expensive commercials which featured ridiculous looking dancing morons, but unfortunately, the product simply wasn't meant to be.

There has been some speculation that the main concept behind the tablet, attempting to combine both a laptop and a tablet into one device, was a retarded concept, and there just weren't enough retards out there to financially support this noble endeavor.

Edited by Apple ][ - 8/7/14 at 12:22am
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What the hell is there of interest to see inside a Microsoft store, and why would any conscious person ever want to visit a Microsoft store?

They should invest in a Microsoft museum instead.

Fast forward 25 years:

(tour given by official tourguide)

Over here in this corner we see something called a Surface Tablet. This curiosity existed from 2012 to 2016, when it was officially terminated after Microsoft could no longer sustain the billions of dollars in loss and damage each year caused by weak sales.. Microsoft continued to promote the tablet until the very end, making expensive commercials which featured ridiculous looking dancing morons, but unfortunately, the product simply wasn't meant to be.

There has been some speculation that the main concept behind the tablet, attempting to combine both a laptop and a tablet into one device, was a retarded concept, and there just wasn't enough retards out there to financially support this noble endeavor.

Sounds like you'd be a perfect customet
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Sounds like you'd be a perfect customet

And you sound like a butthurt present owner.:err:

You should have read my correct assessment of this tablet on this forum a few years ago, when I declared it a flop as soon as it was announced. And what a flop it has been.:lol:

This is from yesterday::D

Microsoft Surface Losses Total $676M USD for FY2014; - See more at: http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Surface+Losses+Total+676M+USD+for+FY2014+Will+Launch+in+25+Additional+Markets/article36351.htm#sthash.pdlKZP4A.dpuf

post #40 of 69
I hope this store is very close to the Apple store. I love going to the beautiful Apple store at the Stanford Shopping Center in California and then going to the Microsoft store not far away. What a comparison! Store design, products, number of people.

BTW, the Apple store in the photo was designed by Peter Bohlin, an amazing architect, not by Steve. And the glass spiral stair was the design of IM Pei for the NEXT HQ, again not Steve. Oh well.

And yes, Starbucks sells lemonade. It's very nice.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft looking to open retail outlet near flagship 5th Ave. Apple Store